3D feels like I'm watching 12 Hz video - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 10-01-2017, 08:15 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 262 Post(s)
Liked: 52
3D feels like I'm watching 12 Hz video

I have an HTPC (Intel Core i5-6500 CPU and HD Graphics 530) with PowerDVD 16 connected to a Sony VPL-HW40ES HD Projector and Sony PS3 IR 3D glasses. (FWIW details on my HTPC on in an older thread)

3D blu-rays or MVC MKV files played by PowerDVD 16 on the HTPC feel like they're playing at half-rate per eye -- 12 Hz per eye -- giving a sense of flicker and image shearing during motion or horizontal pans. When a scene is cut I can sense the wipe from one eye to the other as the scene transitions in a two-frame increment. During a scene like the animated Marvel logo in Guardians of the Galaxy, I'm seeing flickers of black as the large bold graphic moves and sweeps around.

With a cheap blu-ray player connected to the projector, 3D is great. 3D also works fine through my PS4. But the HTPC is not doing something right; it's not feeding or triggering some sort of temporal upsampling to give faster per-eye refreshes to make the 3D look smooth.

I tried a forum search, which was futile since the forum search won't search for "3D".

I assume this is a long-known problem. Are there any solutions?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 10-01-2017, 09:27 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I think the threads are regarding the problem I see. If so, it seems a fundamental and unfixed problem with Intel integrated graphics:
https://communities.intel.com/message/421453#421453
https://communities.intel.com/thread/97973

Does anyone know if there's a fix or workaround for 3D on Intel integrated graphics? Of if not, what video cards fully support 3D blu-ray playback?

Thanks.
post #3 of 10 Old 10-01-2017, 06:44 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I don't know what's wrong with PowerDVD 16.

But I found MPC-HC + madVR + LAV (w/3D) does MVC 3D correctly with Intel HD 530.

post #4 of 10 Old 10-01-2017, 08:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 501 Post(s)
Liked: 256
To the best of my knowledge PowerDVD can't play MKV 3D files but should play Blu Ray/ISO with no issues.
post #5 of 10 Old 10-02-2017, 12:08 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rekbones View Post
To the best of my knowledge PowerDVD can't play MKV 3D files but should play Blu Ray/ISO with no issues.

If that is the case, one can remux the mkv mvc using tsmuxer and save them in bd-iso format for powerdvd playback.
post #6 of 10 Old 10-02-2017, 08:49 AM

Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
PowerDVD can play all 3D modes including 3D SBS or TAB .mkv and MVC frame packed .iso and the display auto switches appropriately with menus. So can MPC-HC + madVR + LAV without menus. It can be completely automated to use either or both at your discretion.

No idea why the OP is having problems? Most likely a hardware issue. I use Nvidia.
post #7 of 10 Old 10-02-2017, 11:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1420 Post(s)
Liked: 645
Quote:
Originally Posted by brazen1 View Post
PowerDVD can play all 3D modes including 3D SBS or TAB .mkv and MVC frame packed .iso and the display auto switches appropriately with menus. So can MPC-HC + madVR + LAV without menus. It can be completely automated to use either or both at your discretion.

No idea why the OP is having problems? Most likely a hardware issue. I use Nvidia.
The issue is the OP is playing back MVC frame packed MKV files, not .ISO.

post #8 of 10 Old 10-02-2017, 01:58 PM

Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShoutingMan View Post
I have an HTPC (Intel Core i5-6500 CPU and HD Graphics 530) with PowerDVD 16 connected to a Sony VPL-HW40ES HD Projector and Sony PS3 IR 3D glasses. (FWIW details on my HTPC on in an older thread)

3D blu-rays or MVC MKV files played by PowerDVD 16 on the HTPC feel like they're playing at half-rate per eye -- 12 Hz per eye -- giving a sense of flicker and image shearing during motion or horizontal pans. When a scene is cut I can sense the wipe from one eye to the other as the scene transitions in a two-frame increment. During a scene like the animated Marvel logo in Guardians of the Galaxy, I'm seeing flickers of black as the large bold graphic moves and sweeps around.

With a cheap blu-ray player connected to the projector, 3D is great. 3D also works fine through my PS4. But the HTPC is not doing something right; it's not feeding or triggering some sort of temporal upsampling to give faster per-eye refreshes to make the 3D look smooth.

I tried a forum search, which was futile since the forum search won't search for "3D".

I assume this is a long-known problem. Are there any solutions?

Thanks!

The OP is assuming his problems are "long-known problems" and is seeking solutions. His problems are not common problems let alone "long known" ones. Part of his problems are associated with MVC .mkv's AS WELL AS "3D blu-rays". It appears any 3D is problematic with his HTPC using PowerDVD but not other devices. As tested, used, and previously stated, PowerDVD renders 3D blu-rays including ripped complete iso's and ripped SBS and TAB using an HTPC with an Nvidia GPU. This using PowerDVD and/or MPC-HC + madVR + LAV filters so he knows his well long known problem assumption is just that.... an assumption (aka fake news). As stated, it's probably his hardware. Well not probably.... for certain it is. Just confirming the software is fine.
post #9 of 10 Old 10-03-2017, 05:03 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansj View Post
The issue is the OP is playing back MVC frame packed MKV files, not .ISO.
Both. On my HTPC with Intel integrated graphics, PowereDVD plays 3D video from Blu-ray Discs and MVC MKV Rios of those discs badly. It looks like it’s playing 24p / 2 per eye.

I be found that MPC-HC with MadVR and LAV plays 3D MVC MKV normally (compared to the original blu-Ray played on both PS4 and stand-alone blu-ray players).

I assumed the PDVD issue was intrinsici to Intel integrated graphics to start, given the Intel support threads I linked earlier. But now I think there’s something wrong with PDVD, maybe in combination with Intel graphics?
post #10 of 10 Old 10-03-2017, 05:05 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brazen1 View Post
The OP is assuming his problems are "long-known problems" and is seeking solutions. His problems are not common problems let alone "long known" ones. Part of his problems are associated with MVC .mkv's AS WELL AS "3D blu-rays". It appears any 3D is problematic with his HTPC using PowerDVD but not other devices. As tested, used, and previously stated, PowerDVD renders 3D blu-rays including ripped complete iso's and ripped SBS and TAB using an HTPC with an Nvidia GPU. This using PowerDVD and/or MPC-HC + madVR + LAV filters so he knows his well long known problem assumption is just that.... an assumption (aka fake news). As stated, it's probably his hardware. Well not probably.... for certain it is. Just confirming the software is fine.
Nope. It’s the software. Something wrong with PowerDVD 16. The hardware works fine with a basic LAV filter setup.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page