DeUHD UHD Disc Ripping?!? - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 29Likes

post #31 of 99 Old 10-05-2017, 12:25 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by long_pn View Post
Potplayer +madVR can play ISO's. What's the problem with that ?
Never heard of these. Do they play 4K UHD Blu-ray ISOs ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 99 Old 10-05-2017, 02:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1421 Post(s)
Liked: 646
Quote:
Originally Posted by madbrain View Post
Never heard of these. Do they play 4K UHD Blu-ray ISOs ?
Once the disc protection is removed you can use pretty much anything for playback. You can also remux it to MKV.

post #33 of 99 Old 10-05-2017, 03:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansj View Post
Once the disc protection is removed you can use pretty much anything for playback. You can also remux it to MKV.
Surely the copy protection isn't the only different between HD Blu-ray and UHD blu-ray ? I would assume there are other differences in the file formats.
Would my old PowerDVD 14 really play a ripped UHD ISO (once mounted) ?

post #34 of 99 Old 10-05-2017, 03:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Surely the copy protection isn't the only different between HD Blu-ray and UHD blu-ray ? I would assume there are other differences in the file formats.
Would my old PowerDVD 14 really play a ripped UHD ISO (once mounted) ?
The codec is different. You just need a player that supports it. I personally wouldn't use PowerDVD unless I had to.

post #35 of 99 Old 10-05-2017, 08:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 525 Post(s)
Liked: 497
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionxOrb View Post
While this is most likely the case, wasn't it a compromised pc based bluray software exposing the keys that paved the way for aacs 1.0 being eventually cracked.
Yes, it was. What no one knows at this point is whether they are using a compromised standalone player such as an Oppo or if they have found a hole in Intel SGX.
post #36 of 99 Old 10-05-2017, 05:51 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionxOrb View Post
... infact I dont think you can use a UHD drive and have it work, probably due to extra security in the drive.

Yes, in fact, you can use certain UHD drives. The LG WH16NS60 and Buffalo BRUHD-PU3 drives, for instance. They're under the UHD official drives list on the DeUHD website.

Whether or not the software works or how is another story.
post #37 of 99 Old 10-06-2017, 03:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansj View Post
The codec is different. You just need a player that supports it. I personally wouldn't use PowerDVD unless I had to.
Well, I already paid for my PowerDVD (though not much, was free after rebate on Fry's black friday deal a few years back) and I think the program is quite decent . I use it for Blu-ray discs in combination with AnyDVD.
Would be nice if it worked for UHD discs too if DeUHD really works.
post #38 of 99 Old 10-06-2017, 03:50 AM
Advanced Member

BTW, my AVG Anti-virus flagged the trial program (that claims to rip the first 10 minutes) as "FileRepMalware" when I tried to download it. I won't be trying it . I guess that is somewhat to be expected with software from Russia. I only own 3 titles on the list of 30 supported anyway.
post #39 of 99 Old 10-06-2017, 05:15 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Well, I already paid for my PowerDVD (though not much, was free after rebate on Fry's black friday deal a few years back) and I think the program is quite decent . I use it for Blu-ray discs in combination with AnyDVD.
Would be nice if it worked for UHD discs too if DeUHD really works.
The ripped disc would be playable on free software.

post #40 of 99 Old 10-08-2017, 06:22 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Lets say for the sake of discussion, deUHD paves they way for us ripping our disks.

What about the 2nd part of that equation? for bluray I can use handbrake make a nice 15gb rip with lossless audio and it works good for mediaserver purposes. Now I know handbrake supports x265 with 10bit but how do we maintain HDR10 let alone dolby vision.

2000 watts of power and climbing

-Fred
post #41 of 99 Old 10-08-2017, 08:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

The Martian mkv remux direct played through Plex with HDR in 4K. It looked great.

Sent from my LG-H931 using Tapatalk

post #42 of 99 Old 10-10-2017, 02:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 337 Post(s)
Liked: 179
To everyone who says this is a scam, where do base that on?
All the reports i've read so far indicates that this software works well except that it's a very slow ripping process. And they just added a bunch of new titles for support like they said they would.

I find it odd that some here calls this a scam when they obviously havn't even tried it themselfes. Unless you have some proof that this company scammed customers for money, there is nothing to back that claim.
Kincaid and Salty01 like this.

Sony VPL-VW550 | DNP Supernova 08-85 116" 2.35:1 | Lumagen Radiance Pro 4440 | Pioneer SC-LX89 | AppleTV 4K | Zappiti One 4k HDR | PS4 | Audio Pro/Pioneer 5.1.4 Atmos | SVS SB-1000
post #43 of 99 Old 10-10-2017, 02:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BakeApples View Post
All the reports i've read so far indicates that this software works well except that it's a very slow ripping process. And they just added a bunch of new titles for support like they said they would.

I find it odd that some here calls this a scam when they obviously havn't even tried it themselfes. Unless you have some proof that this company scammed customers for money, there is nothing to back that claim.
Feel free to try it on your computer, but given that it's detected as malware by anti-virus programs, I won't be the one doing so.
post #44 of 99 Old 10-10-2017, 02:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 337 Post(s)
Liked: 179
Quote:
Feel free to try it on your computer, but given that it's detected as malware by anti-virus programs, I won't be the one doing so.
It wouldn't be the first program which is being wrongly detected as malware. Let me guess, by Avast & AVG?

And you don't have to, plenty of user reports out there already.
Kincaid likes this.

Sony VPL-VW550 | DNP Supernova 08-85 116" 2.35:1 | Lumagen Radiance Pro 4440 | Pioneer SC-LX89 | AppleTV 4K | Zappiti One 4k HDR | PS4 | Audio Pro/Pioneer 5.1.4 Atmos | SVS SB-1000
post #45 of 99 Old 10-10-2017, 02:22 PM

Quote:
BTW, my AVG Anti-virus flagged the trial program (that claims to rip the first 10 minutes) as "FileRepMalware" when I tried to download it. I won't be trying it . I guess that is somewhat to be expected with software from Russia. I only own 3 titles on the list of 30 supported anyway.
AVG, Avast, and Rising all flagged the installer for version 1.0.0.2. Both AVG and Avast found it suspicious and Rising flagged it based on heuristics. I've always found AVG to be overly prone to false positives and the same with Avast when I gave it a shot some years back. Rising is an AV that I have no experience with. The file was scanned by multiple people using VirusTotal and out of 65 AV programs the only ones to flag the installer were AVG, Avast, and Rising. Bitdefender, Kaspersky, and other well-regarded AVs did not. Now, does this mean there isn't a chance that there is an issue? There is no guarantee but I am inclined to believe that this is a matter of overzealous AV programs. The software communicates with a remote server when it is launched to verify an account and I suspect there is some data exchanged when it comes to disc decryption. A lower class filter driver is also installed.

From what people are reporting the software does seem to work albeit not 100% and requires specific optical drives and the list of supported discs is limited. A lot of people are giving the trial version a chance and reporting back on their results. Given how new the software is it seems to be effectively an alpha or beta test depending on how you care to look at it.

Edit: I'm still not convinced AACS 2.0 is broken in a way that cannot be prevented in the future.

Last edited by Kincaid; 10-10-2017 at 02:26 PM.
post #46 of 99 Old 10-10-2017, 02:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
but given that it's detected as malware by anti-virus programs, I won't be the one doing so.
So are the programs Microsoft doesn't want you to have like autokms and dazloader....

-Fred
post #47 of 99 Old 10-10-2017, 03:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked: 693
Quote:
Originally Posted by BakeApples View Post

Let's just say my skepticism has served me well over the years. I haven't looked since the first couple of days after this was reported, but at that time I couldn't find anything confirming that it was working as advertised. Can you point to any reviews of the full version of the software that verify it is working well?

RAID protection is only for failed drives. That's it. It's no replacement for a proper backup.
post #48 of 99 Old 10-10-2017, 03:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajhieb View Post
Let's just say my skepticism has served me well over the years. I haven't looked since the first couple of days after this was reported, but at that time I couldn't find anything confirming that it was working as advertised. Can you point to any reviews of the full version of the software that verify it is working well?
There are a few members on redfox forum that now have full licensees and state that it does work, one mentioned its reaaally slow to rip an entire iso right now though.

-Fred
post #49 of 99 Old 10-11-2017, 12:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Also members of club.myce are confirming it's working.

Vizio P65-C1 (2016)
Onkyo Tx-NR656
JBL Studio Series (Front, Center, Right), JBL 250W Sub, Kenwood Rears, Onkyo Atmos Upfiring
LG UP970 UHD Player
Nvidia Shield TV
post #50 of 99 Old 10-11-2017, 01:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Like I mentioned earlier, I don't care if they steal your bank account info and take your identity with it. I just want this software to work. If they are on to something then the floodgates should open to other, less questionable, solutions.

Sent from my LG-H931 using Tapatalk

post #51 of 99 Old 10-11-2017, 11:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 570 Post(s)
Liked: 308
I have little doubt the software works. However, the fact it can rip using non AACS 2.0 drives means you're tied to them for program updates - the supported movies list isn't there because that's what they test, it's the list of movies to which they have the decryption keys to. If a new movie comes out and they are gone, you won't be able for rip it.

I believe the RedFox guys are working on a more generic solution, using an AACS 2.0 drive so even if they didn't update it, you can try ripping it since it can derive the decryption key.

Of course, the studios can adapt by changing the keys more often, so the ripper guys will have to buy every variant of a disc or you'll end up with non working discs.
post #52 of 99 Old 10-12-2017, 06:45 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 3695 Post(s)
Liked: 2055
Seems there's an interesting doublestandard being put forth here. AnyDVD HD and MakeMKV are both tied to their makers for updates for new discs. Slysoft AnyDVD HD doesn't work anymore for new discs since it's no longer being updated, you have to have a current Redfox license. At any time Redfox or MakeMKV could be shut down and they'd be unable to rip new discs. DeUHD doesn't seem fundamentally different in that regard, yet I see that being brought up as a big deal.

Not that I'm saying DeUHD is a great thing or anything, cost/value is a bit questionable at this point given the limited number of discs, and I think there reasonable security questions given the source, but it seems like some are trying to hold it to a higher standard than they do current Blu-ray solutions.
Herve, Balthazar2k4 and Kincaid like this.
post #53 of 99 Old 10-12-2017, 08:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 525 Post(s)
Liked: 497
I have 82 UHD BDs of which 23 are on the 'supported' list. Now it is obviously a bit of a crap shoot if it supports any of MY 23 because of region and potential key differences. That said, I bought an LG UHD drive based on DeUHD's recommended drive spec to give the trial a go. If I can even rip half of them and stick them on my Plex server than $236 for a license is fine by me.
post #54 of 99 Old 10-12-2017, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post
Seems there's an interesting doublestandard being put forth here. AnyDVD HD and MakeMKV are both tied to their makers for updates for new discs. Slysoft AnyDVD HD doesn't work anymore for new discs since it's no longer being updated, you have to have a current Redfox license. At any time Redfox or MakeMKV could be shut down and they'd be unable to rip new discs. DeUHD doesn't seem fundamentally different in that regard, yet I see that being brought up as a big deal.

Not that I'm saying DeUHD is a great thing or anything, cost/value is a bit questionable at this point given the limited number of discs, and I think there reasonable security questions given the source, but it seems like some are trying to hold it to a higher standard than they do current Blu-ray solutions.
You make valid points and there most definitely is a double-standard. It's unfortunate but skepticism shouldn't be surprising. Support for decryption of AACS didn't happen overnight. There were independent people playing around with it and developers like Slysoft. Then AACS removal became standard and there was a clear method for dealing with it that was automated and on-demand and over time many developers added support to their software.

With the release of the newer AACS 2.0 standard the security was tightened to make it harder to crack as well as requirements for PCs including SGX and other protective aspects. For someone to announce the release of a product that circumvents this is unexpected given the relative youth of UHD. I would have expected things to take longer. There's also the matter of cost. When Slysoft first began supporting HD they charged an upgrade fee for existing customers. It was pretty cheap. There were two important things to note: 1. Slysoft was an established developer with a track record and therefore a good reputation for doing what they claimed and 2. a license of for AnyDVD HD did not sell for over $200 based upon difficult to verify results. In this situation you have a complete unknown appearing out of nowhere with a solution to "break" AACS 2.0 and they are asking a hefty price for it. There is also a ridiculously crippled trial version that really doesn't help matters. People should definitely do a double-take.

To not be skeptical of DeUHD is foolish. To outright say it's a scam and BS is also foolish. The double-standard is unfortunately to be expected by some. Some of this likely is a result of fanboyism and that some people's favorite software didn't get there first. Right now it's all a matter of waiting things out and seeing how it progresses. Sure, some people will buy licenses and if they can afford it then that's great for them. There is absolutely nothing wrong with suggesting that the buyer beware at this point, however.

Personally, I hope DeUHD turns out to be completely legit but I'm not completely sold on it. I'll wait and see where things stand a few months from now.

Last edited by Kincaid; 10-12-2017 at 09:10 AM.
post #55 of 99 Old 10-12-2017, 09:16 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 3695 Post(s)
Liked: 2055
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kincaid View Post
You make valid points and there most definitely is a double-standard. It's unfortunate but skepticism shouldn't be surprising.
FWIW, I think the skepticism is absolutely valid, even if we ignore that it's Russian based (which should raise concerns and instill caution), they're a brand new player with no history.

If this were from Redfox, DVDFab or MakeMKV, I'd have bought a license already, as it stands I'm taking a bit of a wait and see approach.

Quote:
1. Slysoft was an established developer with a track record and therefore a good reputation for doing what they claimed and 2. a license of for AnyDVD HD did not sell for over $200 based upon difficult to verify results. In this situation you have a complete unknown appearing out of nowhere with a solution to "break" AACS 2.0 and they are asking a hefty price for it. There is also a ridiculously crippled trial version that really doesn't help matters. People should definitely do a double-take.

To not be skeptical of DeUHD is foolish. To outright say it's a scam and BS is also foolish. The double-standard is unfortunately to be expected by some. Some of this likely is a result of fanboyism and that some people's favorite software didn't get there first. Right now it's all a matter of waiting things out and seeing how it progresses. Sure, some people will buy licenses and if they can afford it then that's great for them. There is absolutely nothing wrong with suggesting that the buyer beware at this point, however.
I agree completely, and the first day or two, it sounded more like a scam than a real product. But now that more people have used it, updates have been forthcoming, etc, it's sounding more like a real thing (at least in so far as it does what it says, decrypts UHD discs), though expensive and limited. I know I personally haven't bought a license and I definitely wouldn't recommend anyone else buy one.

One of these days I'll have to compare their list to my collection and see if it's worth a license.
Kincaid likes this.
post #56 of 99 Old 10-12-2017, 12:25 PM
LJG
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked: 234
What would be some playback devices? Oppo 203 was limited to 1209 software.
post #57 of 99 Old 10-12-2017, 01:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJG View Post
nvidia shield, roku etc. feed from a dlna media server.

-Fred
post #58 of 99 Old 10-13-2017, 03:39 AM

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
They play fine on the Oppo UDP-203 with latest official firmware UDP20XEU-51-0922.
post #59 of 99 Old 10-13-2017, 05:51 AM
LJG
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by dimi123 View Post
They play fine on the Oppo UDP-203 with latest official firmware UDP20XEU-51-0922.
The files or ripped disc?
post #60 of 99 Old 10-13-2017, 05:55 AM

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
The files or ripped disc?
The ripped discs (folders) play fine with menus and everything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page