Slightly Off Topic - Bare minimum to display 4k? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 10-03-2017, 05:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
JRock3x8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Northwest Indiana
Posts: 2,100
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 766 Post(s)
Liked: 199
Slightly Off Topic - Bare minimum to display 4k?

So I'm toying around with 4k - just bought a TCL S Series TV and I wanted to hook it up to my PC.

Turns out my 8400GS can't quite make the cut on that so I need to buy a new video card.

I've done some light research and the GT710 seems to be the lowest power (20W), lowest cost ($40) graphics card that can output UHD resolution through HDMI.

The purpose of this is 90% web browsing with some occasional youtube thrown in. I'm not expecting to be watching UHD HDR movies on this - I'm going to pick up the XBox One X for that later this year (which will cost more than all of this put together...)

Anyone else care to chime in with a better solution?

This is going into a Dell T20, specs : PowerEdge T20 with 3.5" 1TB SATA HDD, 4GB DIMM, Xeon E3-1225 v3 3.2GHz 4C 84W CPU, DVD, power supply is 300W I think?

The power supply is the main reason I can't get carried away with the graphics card.
JRock3x8 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 7 Old 10-03-2017, 10:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
LexInVA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 3,293
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 674 Post(s)
Liked: 279
The GeForce 1030 is the only card you should be looking at, because it was designed for 4K and can output 4K over HDMI 2.0 or DisplayPort 1.4. It will work fine in your system. Beyond that, I wouldn't bother with spending any more money on the system you have.
LexInVA is offline  
post #3 of 7 Old 10-03-2017, 11:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
JRock3x8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Northwest Indiana
Posts: 2,100
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 766 Post(s)
Liked: 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexInVA View Post
The GeForce 1030 is the only card you should be looking at, because it was designed for 4K and can output 4K over HDMI 2.0 or DisplayPort 1.4. It will work fine in your system. Beyond that, I wouldn't bother with spending any more money on the system you have.
First of all, thanks for the comment.

I'm not sure I understand the difference in performance for browsing the web for the price difference.
JRock3x8 is offline  
 
post #4 of 7 Old 10-03-2017, 11:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
LexInVA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 3,293
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 674 Post(s)
Liked: 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRock3x8 View Post
First of all, thanks for the comment.

I'm not sure I understand the difference in performance for browsing the web for the price difference.
Performance has absolutely no bearing on the card you buy for your low-end activities. The 700-series was not designed for 4K and won't do what you want it to do. The 900-series, specifically the 950 and 960, are the bare minimum card for 4K use and you can't use either of those in your box. The 1000-series has support for the current video codecs used on the web for streaming and downloaded content and was designed to handle 4K video and 4K output, with current HDMI and DisplayPort connectivity. The single-slot 1030 is the ideal card for you because it meets all of your needs, works perfectly with your box, and it is inexpensive.
LexInVA is offline  
post #5 of 7 Old 10-03-2017, 12:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
JRock3x8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Northwest Indiana
Posts: 2,100
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 766 Post(s)
Liked: 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexInVA View Post
Performance has absolutely no bearing on the card you buy for your low-end activities. The 700-series was not designed for 4K and won't do what you want it to do. The 900-series, specifically the 950 and 960, are the bare minimum card for 4K use and you can't use either of those in your box. The 1000-series has support for the current video codecs used on the web for streaming and downloaded content and was designed to handle 4K video and 4K output, with current HDMI and DisplayPort connectivity. The single-slot 1030 is the ideal card for you because it meets all of your needs, works perfectly with your box, and it is inexpensive.
Thank you.
JRock3x8 is offline  
post #6 of 7 Old 10-04-2017, 05:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
JRock3x8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Northwest Indiana
Posts: 2,100
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 766 Post(s)
Liked: 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexInVA View Post
Performance has absolutely no bearing on the card you buy for your low-end activities. The 700-series was not designed for 4K and won't do what you want it to do. The 900-series, specifically the 950 and 960, are the bare minimum card for 4K use and you can't use either of those in your box. The 1000-series has support for the current video codecs used on the web for streaming and downloaded content and was designed to handle 4K video and 4K output, with current HDMI and DisplayPort connectivity. The single-slot 1030 is the ideal card for you because it meets all of your needs, works perfectly with your box, and it is inexpensive.
I ordered the 1030 - more than I wanted to spend but your argument was compelling and I had some rewards dollars to make up the difference.

Thank you.
JRock3x8 is offline  
post #7 of 7 Old 10-04-2017, 12:56 PM
Advanced Member
 
madbrain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: San Jose, California
Posts: 647
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRock3x8 View Post
First of all, thanks for the comment.

I'm not sure I understand the difference in performance for browsing the web for the price difference.
If you want to be able to track your mouse pointer, you want 4K at 60 Hz, not 30 Hz.
The GT710 being HDMI 1.4, it will only do 4K at 30 Hz. My older GT630 could do that too.
It was useless, though. Made the HTPC unusable as I could never tell where the mouse was.

I got an Asus GT 1030 last saturday. Passively cooled. Runs very nicely with my Optoma UHD65 projector and 106" screen at 4K / 60 Hz.
madbrain is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Home Theater Computers

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off