Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 10-03-2017, 05:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Losing HDMI signal

Hey all,
I just replaced an old Samsung LCD display with a new Samsung 4k LED (UN49MU7000FXZA).
I posted to Samsung's forum but didn't get any help, so I thought I'd try here.
I have the PC power settings set to turn off the monitor after 1 hour and never sleep. With the old TV all I had to do was turn on the TV power, move the mouse, and I was good.
With the new TV the source reads "No Signal" until I unplug and replug the HDMI cable... which is a little annoying.
Is there a setting somewhere that can fix this?
Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 10-03-2017, 08:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked: 253
Just set the PC to never shut off the monitor as that option will only work on a true PC monitor.

"Smart enough to know better, to old to care" ------ Dedicated Home Theater, Mitsubishi HC7900DW Projector, 110" 16:9 Jamestown screen with variable power masking for CIW 2.50:1 to 16:9, Marantz 7009 with 7.1.4 Atmos with Ohm mains,3 DIY Subs (2 15" (1 ported, 1 sealed and a 12" 4th order bandpass), 1 DIY butt kicker, Custom Built HTPC, 10TB DroboFS NAS
post #3 of 7 Old 10-05-2017, 08:16 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rekbones View Post
Just set the PC to never shut off the monitor as that option will only work on a true PC monitor.
Thanks for the suggestion. Even with the Power management settings on the PC set to "Never", I'm still having the same problem. I have to unplug and replug the HDMI cable to get the signal back.
Again... this never happened with the old LCD TV.

post #4 of 7 Old 10-05-2017, 10:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked: 253
I am sure its a hand shake issue. The two TV's just handle it differently. One thing you might try is if their is a power save feature on the TV try enabling it or if it is already enabled disable it. If the TV is only going into standby when you power it back on it never attempts to do a hand shake or vice versa. This is why we all love HDMI with all the DRM it is flaky as hell.

"Smart enough to know better, to old to care" ------ Dedicated Home Theater, Mitsubishi HC7900DW Projector, 110" 16:9 Jamestown screen with variable power masking for CIW 2.50:1 to 16:9, Marantz 7009 with 7.1.4 Atmos with Ohm mains,3 DIY Subs (2 15" (1 ported, 1 sealed and a 12" 4th order bandpass), 1 DIY butt kicker, Custom Built HTPC, 10TB DroboFS NAS
post #5 of 7 Old 10-05-2017, 08:24 PM - Thread Starter

Couldn't find any power save options in the TV settings... other than "Turn off after 4 hours of inactivity"
I've tried several different HDMI cables, but is it possible the HDCP-HDMI adapter is bad?
post #6 of 7 Old 10-06-2017, 06:45 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 698 Post(s)
Liked: 416
I agree with others that it is a handshake issue. PC video cards in general are not very forgiving on the disappearance of the display device on the other end. I'd bet when you encounter the issue next time, instead of unplug the HDMI cable, simply reboot the PC will solve the problem as well. I'd set the PC to sleep instead of keep power on all the time. That gives video card a chance to re-establish handshake with the TV next time it powers on. Consumer electronic devices like cable boxes, BD players etc., are design to check for HDMI connection, and if broken, automatically re-negotiate connection, every second or so. PCs never do.
post #7 of 7 Old 10-06-2017, 01:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121 View Post
I agree with others that it is a handshake issue. PC video cards in general are not very forgiving on the disappearance of the display device on the other end. I'd bet when you encounter the issue next time, instead of unplug the HDMI cable, simply reboot the PC will solve the problem as well. I'd set the PC to sleep instead of keep power on all the time. That gives video card a chance to re-establish handshake with the TV next time it powers on. Consumer electronic devices like cable boxes, BD players etc., are design to check for HDMI connection, and if broken, automatically re-negotiate connection, every second or so. PCs never do.
Setting the PC to sleep worked. Thanks for the help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page