WinTV-HD on VGA monitor? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 06-09-2001, 11:54 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I have a HTPC with an NVidia GeForce2 MX Twinview video card and a standard 27" TV connected to the S-Video output. I also have a DVD drive and the WinDVD s/w. The TV is the only monitor on the system. The computer is set for 640x480 resolution and 32-bit color. I want to eventually buy a widescreen HDTV.

For now, I would like to get a DTV or HDTV receiver card. If I buy the higher-end Hauppauge WinTV-HD, will I be able to scale down the higher-resolution images to 640x480? Remember, my video card is already doing the VGA to NTSC conversion.

Also, is it possible that the local HDTV stations will also be broadcasting a 640x480 DTV image? Or, is it likely they're only simulcasting in 720p or 1080i?

Thank you for any info and advice!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 06-09-2001, 12:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The WinTV-HD has only an analog component output (RGB or Y Cr Cb) - no composite or S-video. The HiPix has that plus composite.

I believe the AccessDTV has the same outputs as the WinTV-HD.

Both the WinTV-HD and HiPix support 480-line progressive output regardless of the transmission format.

The only way you could take advantage of the VGA to TV converter in your video card to watch digital TV would be to use the WinTV-HD and watch video in a window. That's not worth it. The analog output of both cards, even in 480p, is much better than the WinTV-HD's video in a window.

You could use an external VGA to TV converter with any of the cards.

The WinTV-D, though an older card with fewer features and waning software support, has an S-video output. It cannot, however, output any HD. Everything is converted to 480i.

post #3 of 5 Old 06-09-2001, 03:15 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Thanks for the reply! I still have two question I hope you can answer:

1. My (non-HD) TV actually has component inputs but it definitely *cannot* display 480p. So, what happens if I plug it into the WinTV-HD? Will they auto-negotiate down to 480i?

2. I realize that scaling the WinTV-HD's video down and watching it in a VGA window is not "HD", but isn't it going to be better than broadcast NTSC? Does the WinTV-HD s/w allow you to go full-screen (even if the VGA screen is only set for 640x480)?

Obviously, I'm still considering running the WinTV-HD signal through it's windowing s/w (hopefully full-screen), then outputting the 640x480i result via my Nvidia. When I finally buy a real HDTV, I'll use the native HD outputs on the WinTV-HD.

FYI
I'm in the middle of the city and have a strong signal from most all stations, but I get a lot of ghosting. For now, all I want to do is clean up my reception. I don't expect HD or even 480p. Also, my Nvidia card does a much better VGA-to-NTSC conversion than the external AverKey I started with.
post #4 of 5 Old 06-09-2001, 04:15 PM
AVS Special Member

There is no negotiation on the output of any HDTV card. If you output a mode that your monitor does not support, it will simply fail to display it correctly.

The video in a window mode on the WinTV-HD is really not very good at all. It looks like the precision is limited. It does not support full screen.

You could use a VGA to TV converter like the AverMedia AVerKey iMicro to convert the HD RGB to composite or S-video. It costs less than $100. http://www.aver.com/

post #5 of 5 Old 06-09-2001, 04:40 PM
AVS Special Member

BTW, don't waste your money on a WinTV-HD right now. The software is very unstable and primitive.

The HiPix is much better. Wait for a HiPix, or get an AccessDTV if you don't care about the playback restriction.

Closed Thread Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page