WinDVD 3.0 supports Radeon Gamma - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 06-08-2001, 03:29 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
hello

This is good news for us radeon owners, there's a setting in WinDVD 3.0 called "Color control 2". This actually adjust the overlay gamma for the radeon http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

Alvaro.

PS : I just changed my nick name from ajds to PortaPro

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 06-08-2001, 07:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Wow! This seems like great news... Does the setting actually stick? In other words, if I callibrate it, and then exit WinDVD, are those callibrations still there?

Has anyone with a Radeon played around with this?

Maybe it's time for me to upgrade from my GeForce! I was afraid of ATI's player, but if I can use WinDVD and get gamma adjustments... (My DLP has a green shift.)

Mike
post #3 of 11 Old 06-08-2001, 07:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Yes, they stick.

Vern
post #4 of 11 Old 06-08-2001, 08:49 AM
jxo
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mflaster:
...Maybe it's time for me to upgrade from my GeForce! I was afraid of ATI's player, but if I can use WinDVD and get gamma adjustments... (My DLP has a green shift.)

Mike
Mike: I am using a Radeon with a DLP. One of the few tradeoffs in giving up my rfi-modded GeForce card was color saturation control. I am one of the folks who can't get the ATI player to work under any circumstances-- so I can't say how c/s control works with it. I use WinDVD 2.6.4. The Radeon card does not have its own color saturation control and WinDVD's color control barely does a thing. The benefits of the Radeon card justify its use nonetheless but you may lose some c/s. It would be great if WinDVD 3.0 has more flexible c/s control-- it would definitely help the color presentation on DLPs.

------------------
Regards,
Jim

[This message has been edited by jxo (edited 06-08-2001).]

Regards,
Jim
post #5 of 11 Old 06-08-2001, 08:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Vern - are you using 3.0 with a Radeon? And correct me if I'm wrong, but this gamma control should theoretically be able to completely fix a green shift? Can you change the whole curve, or is it just a single number?

Jim, I take it you haven't tried WinDVD 3.0 yet? I'd love to hear your results if you try to compensate for the green shift.

Mike
post #6 of 11 Old 06-08-2001, 02:04 PM
AVS Special Member

mflaster:

Yes, I am, and no, there is no way a single gamma control can fix a green shift. If your projector has a green shift, it needs to be calibrated/adjusted/replaced.http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/wink.gif

Vern
post #7 of 11 Old 06-08-2001, 03:18 PM
AVS Special Member

The gamma control in the WinDVD player known as Color 2 has been there for a long time, ever since WinDVD 2.6.4 came out months ago. Secondly, WinDVD's color 2 or gamma does not work in the same incremental fashion as does the one in the ATI player. I found it much more difficult to maneuver to the proper setting and was never happy with its result. Now it could be that there's something I'm missing with this and I should be calibrating other controls along with it to get it right, but I wasn;t impressed with hit nearly as much as the one in ATI's overlay.

Hell, I can get you a toe by 3 o'clock this afternoon...with nail polish.
post #8 of 11 Old 06-08-2001, 04:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Mike, here we go again.

If you are referring to WinDVD 3.0 this is no longer true. WinDVD 2.6.4 had the same problem as the ATI DVD player has with maintaining overlay settings. WinDVD 3.0 does not have this issue.

The gamma control on WinDVD acts the same as the one in the ATI player. From the leftmost step, the first increment to the right makes the image darker, the second is roughly the same as the leftmost step, and each sucessive step to the right makes the picture lighter.

You cannot just adjust the gamma control by itself.

1: Adjust the overlay brightness to avoid crushing the whites, using either Avia or VE. Use a horizontal step pattern or on Avia use the standard color bar pattern which has moving white and black bars in the lower area. The goal is to maximize the visable difference between the 90 and 100 IRE bars while maintaining the highest possible white level.

2: Adjust the white level on your projector or monitor to get the desired brightness of the brightest parts of the image, taking care not to push the white level past the point of maintaining focus.

3: Adjust the black level on your projector or monitor so that the pluge signals shows only a single bar. Use Avia or VE.

4: Now, and only now, adjust the gamma control so that shadow details that were not previously visable become visable. Use the VE montage of images or other dark material to check this. Do not overdo this adjustment!!!
If it is too high, you will start to see all kinds of MPEG artifacts!

5: Recheck the black level. If required, alternate between the gamma and black level adjustments to fine tune the image.

Vern Dias

5:

[This message has been edited by Vern Dias (edited 06-08-2001).]
post #9 of 11 Old 06-09-2001, 11:51 AM

hi all,

i got to demo windvd2000 version 3.0. my color control 2 only makes the pic greener or redder(as the little icon indicate). Am i doing something wrong or is there a hack invloved somewhere?

just like to add that the sound options are all there in windows 2k. including the "dolby headphone" thing. only thing blocked out is spdif.

hiko

[This message has been edited by hiko (edited 06-09-2001).]
post #10 of 11 Old 06-09-2001, 02:37 PM
AVS Special Member

You have not enabled HWMC. You need to do this in the regestry. Search for windvdi and change the HWMC entry from 0 to 1.

Vern Dias
post #11 of 11 Old 06-09-2001, 05:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Hey Vern,

Can you check something for me if at all possible? Could you try changing resolutions during DVD playback and see if version 3.0 correctly re-applies the overlay settings?

I just installed the 2.6.35 patch, which despite the version number contains newer files than the 2.6.4 patch. With 2.6.35, the overlay settings are properly applied on program startup, which is an improvement from 2.6.4. Unfortunately, it doesn't re-apply the settings after changing resolutions, so I still have to manually apply them. The reason this is important to me, is because I start WinDVD in 540p mode for menu navigation, and then switch over to 960i for the movie (DVD's menus don't work correctly in interlaced resolutions with WinDVD).

Thanks,

------------------
Jeff Kohn
http://home.houston.rr.com/jeffkohn
My DVD Profiler Collection
Closed Thread Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page