HTPC Newbie Question: 1080p OTA HDTV options? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 06-10-2001, 05:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've tried to get a straight answer on this via researching the forum FAQs, but I'm new to HTPCs, so maybe I'm missing something...maybe I'm a little slow...

Putting together a new home theater, which will feature a Sony G90, and I want to know what my options are for generating true 1920 x 1080 1080p from 1080i OTA HDTV. In other words, can I use one of the HDTV tuner cards in conjunction with something to replicate a Faroudja 5000?

The outboard scaler route is flawed...the F5000 is big bucks, the Vigatec outputs about 1440 x 1080 1080p from 1080i (too soft) and the Rock isn't there yet (I think they plan on something akin to what I want, but until I see it, I have to politely pass).

I basically want to have an HTPC for DVD and HDTV, video routed directly to the G90 and audio routed directly to my Lexicon MC-1...I know the DVD part of the equation is there, and I know that the 720p/1080i OTA HDTV part of the equation is there, but what about the 1080p OTA HDTV part of the equation? Please stop me from buying a F5000! http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

------------------
Alex

Alex doesn't live here anymore
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 06-10-2001, 06:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I'm not sure the pci bus even has the bandwidth to do what you want. you would need the tuner card to do it locally, as you know wintv-d, et al don't provide this

------------------

Alex

Alex
Closed Thread Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page