Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #1 of 32 Old 06-02-2001, 10:14 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just installed the newly shipped AccessDTV card, was hoping to record Gladiator tonight.

After PC reboot, it asked to install new multimedia device (not suprised) but did not find the driver on AccessDTV install CD (BTW, the CD says version 2.1, I thought it should be v2.3 by now), I cancelled out, installed AccessDTV anyway including DirecX8. AccessDTV would not start, ADTV system filter failure or something.

Question is, what driver was not installed? I have Windows98SE, but don't have the Windows install disk at this moment. Where else can I find and load the driver(s)? Can I use other versions of Windows install CDs?

Also now when I boot up the PC, I noticed the Dos Soundblaster Emulation driver is no longer loaded. Is this important? My Turtle Beach sound card has been always on PCI2, The AccessDTV card was just added to PCI1. Hope there is no conflict. PC sound is still fine in Windows.

I am still hoping for a sucessfull install before tonight's show. Thanks in advance.

[This message has been edited by jacmyoung (edited 06-02-2001).]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 Old 06-02-2001, 11:45 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Hi,

In order to properly install the drivers you must have the Win98SE CD OR have the Win98SE CAB files installed on your hard drive. Win98SE is needed for all the streaming WDM files that are installed with the drivers.

After you get the Win98SE CD try this procedure to install the drivers (make sure that you uninstall the software first and remove any listing of the drivers in device manager before proceeding).

When you reboot and Windows finds the hardware do not allow Windows to search for the drivers, instead point to the installation CD under Drivers > Win98. After installing the drivers, check in Device Manager to ensure that both drivers are properly installed (Janus, WDM Video Capture & Saa7146, WDM Video Capture). After the drivers are properly installed you then install the software.

------------------
Best Regards, Cliff
Digital Connection, LLC
cwatson53@home.com
post #3 of 32 Old 06-02-2001, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by jacmyoung:
I just installed the newly shipped AccessDTV card, was hoping to record Gladiator tonight.

Also now when I boot up the PC, I noticed the Dos Soundblaster Emulation driver is no longer loaded. Is this important? My Turtle Beach sound card has been always on PCI2, The AccessDTV card was just added to PCI1. Hope there is no conflict. PC sound is still fine in Windows.

[This message has been edited by jacmyoung (edited 06-02-2001).]

I use a Turtle Beach Quadzilla sound card.The Dos Soundblaster Emulation is just that,for old dos Games. You don't need it for windows or AccessDTV sound.

Joe
post #4 of 32 Old 06-02-2001, 08:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thank you both. I decided to reformat my hard drive and did a clean install (My PC is due for this anyway due to many earlier configuring and testing all HTPC stuff), and installed the drivers successfully this time. Was just in time to record Gladiator. Prior to this I also was able to do a Dish demo recording, play back, FF, Pause. Also tried live pause and so on. Very stable indeed.

Two things I hope can be addressed after only two hours with ADTV:

1. When start to playback a recorded Dish demo, if I use FF right after playing the file, PC locks up and needed reboot. If I do so after playback started for some time, no problem.

2. In full screen mode, overscan is even more than Dish6000 or DTC100. Hope there is a way to reduce overscan somewhat.

post #5 of 32 Old 06-03-2001, 08:08 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Well a little more playing around with the Gladiator and The District recordings. Skip Forward still produced frequent lock ups that required reboots, whether in full screen or windowed mode. I haven't seen this reported much in the past, is there something I can do to my install or this bug is to be worked out in a later update?
post #6 of 32 Old 06-03-2001, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by jacmyoung:
[b]Skip Forward still produced frequent lock ups that required reboots, whether in full screen or windowed mode. B]
Problem has been reported. Lately I find that if I count to 5 between ff clicks I avoid the lock up.

Is there a hot key for ff in full screen mode?
Brian
post #7 of 32 Old 06-03-2001, 01:31 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Brian,

The hotkey you want for fast forward is the ">" key. These hotkeys work in fullscreen mode. For rewind, it's the "<". However, use this at your own discretion. I'd wait until the next software update for the lockup to be fixed.

Good Luck,

------------------
-Michael
mkanet@yahoo.com

[This message has been edited by mkanet (edited 06-03-2001).]

Can your HTPC Media Center / DVR Do this??

SageTV: Unrestricted full-quality 12 tuner HD Premium Cable recording, including "On Demand" in HD + OTA ATSC + DVB-S2 + Blu-ray/HD-DVD serving 5 clients.
post #8 of 32 Old 06-03-2001, 01:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Brian,

We need full disclosure on your PC system so we can determine the cause of your lockup with the FF key.

On my system I’ve been able to press the FF key 20 times in 5 seconds without any lockups. Joe Q. reported that if you hold down the FF key for 5-10 seconds it will cause lockups.

------------------
Best Regards, Cliff
Digital Connection, LLC
cwatson53@home.com
post #9 of 32 Old 06-03-2001, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Cliff Watson:
Brian,

We need full disclosure on your PC system so we can determine the cause of your lockup with the FF key.

PIII 800, 128mb ram, win 98se, 4gb seagate hd for programs, 80gb maxtor hd for data, airboard ir keyboard, geforce 2 video card w/64mb, recent reinstall of accessdtv 2.1 with correct install of drivers confirmed (installing the drivers took several attempts, kept getting an error 69, but all went well on last attempt and device manager reports correct versions), powerstrip 3 installed, audio authority transcoder, mitsubishi 46807 tv.

Thanks,
Brian

post #10 of 32 Old 06-03-2001, 03:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Brian,

Thanks for the info. Do you know the motherboard chipset used?

------------------
Best Regards, Cliff
Digital Connection, LLC
cwatson53@home.com
post #11 of 32 Old 06-03-2001, 11:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Guess what, my system is strikingly similar to Brian's, except I have one maxtor 80gb, Radeon VE and Pioneer 53".

I will have to live without FF, RW, even replay caused lockups. This is a major pain though. I hope iTech fix it soon and add time slider like Hipix.

One other thing is when AccessDTV is in full mode, I can not work on any other tasks on my second monitor connected to the Radeon VE. The mouse is locked in AccessDTV.

one good news, use of loopback cable did not cause any detectable degradation, desktop or full mode, at least on the 53". As a result my two HD component inputs are just enough for now, without the need for a componnet switch.

Now that I have setup my hardware and able to do a/b comparisons with my DTC100, it appears overscan is very close. AccessDTV seem to produce a little better picture clarity, but then this may just be the quality of transcoders I use, AA for my HTPC, RCA for DTC100.

BTW, VIA 694X chipset, ASUS CUV4X-E main board.

[This message has been edited by jacmyoung (edited 06-04-2001).]
post #12 of 32 Old 06-04-2001, 05:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

â€BTW, VIA 694X chipset, ASUS CUV4X-E main board.â€

Hi,

I ask Brian at accessDTV about the lockup problem you are having with the card on a VIA chipset motherboard. Brian informed me that VIA is causing problems with the beta 31 version of the 4in1 drivers that are currently posted on the VIA website. He recommended that you install the VIA 4in1 version 29 motherboard drivers. If you don’t have the 29 version you can get them from support@accessdtv.com .

------------------
Best Regards, Cliff
Digital Connection, LLC
cwatson53@home.com
post #13 of 32 Old 06-04-2001, 05:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Cliff Watson:
â€BTW, VIA 694X chipset, ASUS CUV4X-E main board.â€

Hi,

I ask Brian at accessDTV about the lockup problem you are having with the card on a VIA chipset motherboard. Brian informed me that VIA is causing problems with the beta 31 version of the 4in1 drivers that are currently posted on the VIA website. He recommended that you install the VIA 4in1 version 29 motherboard drivers. If you don’t have the 29 version you can get them from support@accessdtv.com .

Cliff, how do I find out what version of VIA driver and how to install a motherboard driver? Will this impact my normal PC operations?

post #14 of 32 Old 06-04-2001, 05:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

â€Cliff, how do I find out what version of VIA driver and how to install a motherboard driver? Will this impact my normal PC operations?â€

I don’t know! We stopped using VIA motherboards years ago. I guess you would have to check the driver version in Device Manager / System Devices. The VIA 4in1 drivers should help Windows devices work better.

------------------
Best Regards, Cliff
Digital Connection, LLC
cwatson53@home.com
post #15 of 32 Old 06-04-2001, 07:29 PM

Additional ifo:
Intel 815EP AGPset, gigabyte motherboard.

But the good news is that I have not been able to reproduce the freeze up for the past 2 days.

Right now this device is working great!

Thanks,
Brian

post #16 of 32 Old 06-04-2001, 07:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks Cliff, does that mean AccessDTV future software update wouldn't be able to deal with this issue? FF lockup does not seem an isolated bug.

I went into Device Manager, looked every drivers in System Device, did not find anything in reference to VIA 4in1 driver, but did see driver update possibility. I will contact AccessDTV and hopefully there is a cure.

My only concern is by going through this type of update I may screw up my PC.
post #17 of 32 Old 06-05-2001, 02:11 PM

Cliff--"I don’t know! We stopped using VIA motherboards years ago."
Is that because the card simply won't work with the VIA chipset (for PVR)? I have tried my card in three seperate computers and have not gotten TimeShifting to work without crashing.
post #18 of 32 Old 06-05-2001, 06:38 PM
AVS Addicted Member

â€Thanks Cliff, does that mean AccessDTV future software update wouldn't be able to deal with this issue? FF lockup does not seem an isolated bug.â€

No, it just means that accessDTV has more work to do with a driver upgrade that will make the card compatible with the newer version of the VIA motherboard drivers.

â€My only concern is by going through this type of update I may screw up my PC.â€

I’ve never had a problem installing the VIA 4in1 drivers.

â€Cliff--"I don’t know! We stopped using VIA motherboards years ago."
Is that because the card simply won't work with the VIA chipset (for PVR)?:

No We stopped using VIA chipset motherboards long before the release of the HDTV cards. Digital Connection found that using Intel based chipsets and Intel CPUs along with the Enermax power supplies in our HTPCs reduced our tech support by about 40%.

â€I have tried my card in three seperate computers and have not gotten TimeShifting to work without crashing.â€

Were they all VIA based motherboards? If you can give me full disclosure on the systems maybe we can find a fix for the TS crash.

BTW, Just noticed that this is your first post to the forum…Welcome.

------------------
Best Regards, Cliff
Digital Connection, LLC
cwatson53@home.com
post #19 of 32 Old 06-06-2001, 12:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Brian at AccessDTV was very quick to respond to my email, but I am sorry to say after the 4in1v29 update, PVR lockups remained, and I found another problem, after locking up and PC reboot, AccessDTV would not playback my recorded files anymore. I got "AccessDTV SET_MODE Failure-Error 0x80000001" and needed a clean reinstall to reestablish the play back function. This also does not appear caused by 4in1 drivers since it happened both prior to and/or after my 4in1 update.
post #20 of 32 Old 06-06-2001, 10:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I think I have just isolated the above problem (not able to play recorded files) to my change of desktop resolution using Powerstrip (from 480p to 1080i in this case). So it may not be related to the PVR lockup.

I hope this is not an additional bug introduced due to AccessDTV's file protection scheme. My patience is running very thin each day I can not record/playback HDTV as promised. If VIA chipset is the culprit, we should have been warned. I thought I was all set to enjoy HBOHD and other HDs. I have no chance of watching HDTV without time shifting.
post #21 of 32 Old 06-06-2001, 12:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Try moving the accessDTV card out of PCI slot #1. Slot 1 may cause a conflict with the video card.

------------------
Best Regards, Cliff
Digital Connection, LLC
cwatson53@home.com
post #22 of 32 Old 06-06-2001, 04:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Moved AccessDTV card to PCI3, soundcard still on PCI2. Reformatted hard drive and did a clean reinstall. Still would not play any recorded file in 1080i. Still lock up in TS mode, of course now I can't even test playback mode.

Funny thing is the initial AccessDTV install played my recorded files fine except the PVR lockups. Can anyone offer a clue as what the above error code mean? I am puzzled by the new bug, which renders the card useless.
post #23 of 32 Old 06-06-2001, 04:35 PM
AVS Club Gold

I dont know if you tried this following or not:

1) Go into your system bios, select "setup defaults"...try to write down original settings in case they are different that the setup values.

2) Remove ALL PCI cards from your computer except your accessDTV card. Disable any integrated peripheral/ports that have IRQ's UNLESS ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY in your bios. Disable "Plug and play OS" if you have that option.

3) Make sure that in your clean windows install you dont have ANY old device drivers from the PCI cards serial ports, parallel ports you once had enabled. Also make sure you have directx 8a and the latest certified display adaptor driver.

4) Go into device manager and see what IRQ's are being used and see what IRQ's are being shared with accessDTV's two IRQ's.

5) Double check to make sure you have the latest device drivers for accessDTV.

6) Make sure you dont have ANY programs running in memory except for the latest Powerstrip and accessDTV..

Try recording/Playback/PVR. However only play back the recordings you made after the steps above.

Im sure you've tried most of the above. However, make sure you have tried ALL of the above at the same time.

If you get stable recording/playback/PVR...slowly, once step at a time start putting back the settings you had disabled.

If you are still having trouble... I'm definitely stumped.

Good luck!

------------------
-Michael
mkanet@yahoo.com

SageTV: Unrestricted full-quality 12 tuner HD Premium Cable recording, including "On Demand" in HD + OTA ATSC + DVB-S2 + Blu-ray/HD-DVD serving 5 clients.
post #24 of 32 Old 06-06-2001, 05:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Michael, thanks for the advice. I am not as PC inclined to do all the above, which is why I waited till a week ago to order the card, after hearing the fixes for 5000/mod and other issues.

Brian at AccessDTV is reporting my notes to the engineers, so I hope some resolution will come soon.

Just curious, for folks running AccessDTV with Powerstrip, what version of Powerstrip do you have?

[This message has been edited by jacmyoung (edited 06-06-2001).]
post #25 of 32 Old 06-06-2001, 06:06 PM
AVS Club Gold

jacmyoung, you should ask someone to verbally walk you through steps I mentioned in this thread. Cut and paste it if you have to and ask Brian or whomever to walk you through. This is the ONLY way you will know for sure what the problem is...unless you somehow get very lucky and you are able to somehow figure out where the conflict may be.

Basically, the above steps strip you machine down to BARE MINIMUM. AccessDTV works on just about any bare system with minimum requirements.

PS: I dont use 1080i, only 720p. So Im not too sure about the powerstrip question. However, I have a feeling the problem is someting else.

Let us know...
-Michael

------------------
-Michael
mkanet@yahoo.com

post #26 of 32 Old 06-07-2001, 01:30 PM

Cliff--
Sorry for the delay in getting back. In attempting to "downgrade" my 4in1 drivers for my KT7/RAID MB I had to reformat my drive and start anew. In answer to your question about the motherboards used, they were the kt7, a Soyo sy-6cva, and a Abit bx6. So two via and one intel bx chipsets. I wasn't expecting the bx to work as it has an Intel Celeron 266 (overclocked to within requirements of ADTV). I'm at work right now so I'll email you more details later, but I wanted to give a word of warning on trying to go from a newer version of the VIA "4in1" drivers to an older version without reading the readme files!

[This message has been edited by mel_g (edited 06-07-2001).]
post #27 of 32 Old 06-08-2001, 08:28 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I think I have just found the cure for my not-able-to-playback-recorded-file problem. The AccessDTV application icon must be left on the primary desktop not on the extended desktop. I have Radeon VE handling two monitors.

So now it's back to find the cure for the FF lockup. I am going to have a friend of mine over this weekend and tweak the system bio for me and see what happens. Meanwhile I hope to hear from AccessDTV soon.

BTW, that friend of mine who is very experienced in PCs thinks VIA chipset is very good, instead Intel chipsets had more stability problems where he works and needed many revisions. Oh well.

[This message has been edited by jacmyoung (edited 06-08-2001).]
post #28 of 32 Old 06-08-2001, 10:06 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Vance, can you give me an account of your PCI cards and which slot numbers they are in?

I have 4in1 24 I think, 29 did not help. My problem is when in TS mode or playback mode, if I use skip forward or backward, the system locks up usually on the forth or fifth key stroke, sometimes even less will lock up. I have tried counting to 5 trick between the key strokes, no difference. Pause was ok in both live and playback.

If you don't have this, then I am hoping its just some conflict between my PCI cards. Thanks very much.

I have 6 PCI slots, my sound card on PCI2, tried AccessDTV on 1 and 3, tried my PCI modem on 4 and 5. Next I will have my friend start removing drivers and adjusting system bios for me to see if that will make any difference.
post #29 of 32 Old 06-08-2001, 12:44 PM
Advanced Member

Ok, I just played around in both PVR and TS modes. Did not get any lockups in TS, but I was able to cause some lockups in PVR mode. Holding down FF or REW caused lockups. Pressing FF or REW consecutively (within a few seconds of each other) will cause a lockup. But if I wait about 10 seconds before FF or REW again, it does not lock up.

Here's an account of my pci cards:

agp Radeon LE
1 none
2 AccessDtv
3 none
4 Linksys PCII lan card
5 Soundlaster live

------------------
Vance
My HT Pics

post #30 of 32 Old 06-08-2001, 01:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Sounded to me you have similar problem. I will post my results after the weekend, good or bad. Thanks.
Closed Thread Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page