WinTV-HD and accessDTV - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 06-07-2001, 12:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
They are similar. In terms of absolute performance, they are just about the same. The differences that are important include: 1) Software 2) Encryption 3) Price 4) Monthly fee

I own the WinTV-HD and it works fairly well, but the software for the AccessDTV has many more features that are consumer friendly. Of course, Hauppauge or other third parties will release improved software over time, but as of today, the reported features of the AccessDTV software makes it more polished and user friendly.

The AccessDTV card encrypts that recorded digital data. Only the particular card that recorded the data can play it back. This is done to prevent wide spread HDTV file trading. But how many of us have an extra 10 GB disk laying around? Well, at least not right now. The WinTV-HD does not encrypt the digital data and this makes it more useful if you would someday like to playback a file you recorded one a different machine or with a different HDTV card. In addition, when software HDTV players become available they should be able to play the unencrypted HDTV files. The AccessDTV files will not be playable however.

The WinTV-HD is cheaper in purchase price than the AccessDTV card. There are some retail outlets selling the WinTV-HD at slightly below $400. The AccessDTV card is $479 at DigitalConnection.

To use all of the value added features of the AccessDTV card, there is a $10 monthly fee. This is similar to Tivo or ReplayTV in that you get program guide information for this monthly fee that allows that AccessDTV software to schedule recordings. However, it is possible to still use the card to record without paying the $10 every month.

If I were in the market for an HDTV card I would still chose the WinTV-HD just because of the encryption features of the AccessDTV card. The AccessDTV card has better software, but I'm interested in software playback of HDTV. At some point this will be the preferred method of playing back HDTV just as it is with DVDs. Again, this is something that can't be done with the AccessDTV card unless they provide an encryption key to the software HDTV software developers. As such, the WinTV-HD will be more future proof. Of course, the next big thing will have come out by then.

[This message has been edited by JoeFloyd (edited 06-07-2001).]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 06-07-2001, 03:32 PM
Advanced Member

Good response Joe-
But the Wintv-HD card is sold out in virtually every web-based chain right now. I know, I tried all day yesterday to find one. So it seems ADTV (if it's available) is the only product you can get your hands on!

Starman

post #3 of 8 Old 06-07-2001, 10:41 PM

Do these two cards serve the same purpose? Reason being, I was planning on getting a WinTV-HD card to go with my HTPC. After finding this site and reading about the accessDTV card, which is a very nice card, I wondered if they were similar or even the same? Thanks for any help.

Reko
post #4 of 8 Old 06-08-2001, 04:36 PM

Is the WinTV-HD sold out on Hauppauge's site? That's where I bought mine. FWIW. I haven't seen it anywhere else yet.
post #5 of 8 Old 06-10-2001, 07:29 AM
Advanced Member

Solved this mystery; the wintv-hd card is advertised by many web retailers as "backordered". This is because the card hasn't shipped yet to distributors! So you must buyit from hauppauge directly for a couple more weeks.
Starman

post #6 of 8 Old 06-10-2001, 01:41 PM

Does the WinTV-HD use a loopback connector to display the image, or is it all done through digital overlays on to the primary video card?

From what I understand, the accessDTV card will use digital overlays in windowed mode, but uses a loopback connector for fullscreen mode. I don't know if this can be defeated, but from the sounds of it, it can't.

The disadvantage to doing the loopback mode is that if you've got a CRT projector, you'll have to set up yet another screen memory for full screen from the accessDTV card whereas you might not have to with the WinTV-HD if it always does digital overlays.

-Rick
post #7 of 8 Old 06-10-2001, 03:29 PM
Advanced Member

Rick,

Quote:
The disadvantage to doing the loopback mode is that if you've got a CRT projector, you'll have to set up yet another screen memory for full screen from the accessDTV card
Not necessarily, you can setup your desktop's timing to match the HD output of the AccessDTV's, i.e. (1080i, 33.75khz and 59.94hz). I'm doing just that and my projector uses the same memory for both. It's more fun to tweak the picture this way.http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

------------------
Vance
My HT Pics

post #8 of 8 Old 06-10-2001, 04:25 PM
AVS Special Member

I send the output from the AccessDTV full-screen directly to my switcher rather than using the loopback cable. The scan rate it puts out is either identical to, or close enough to, the RCA DTC100 that they both share the same projector memory.
Closed Thread Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page