Bizzare tweek idea - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 1 Old 06-10-2001, 06:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Several threads have mentioned using a UPS or some sort of power conditioner to smooth out the AC going to the projector. I'm aware that recording studios and audiophiles are moving to "balanced AC", two 60 volt hots, 180 degrees apart in phase, and a neutral where the ground normally is connected. This usually requires a large transformer.

The result is NOT a subtle tweek. Studio pros are reporting 12dB improvement in the noise floor. The basic theory seems to be the same as a balanced microphone line - any signal that appears on one phase that does not appear exactly inverted on the opposite phase is canceled out.

I was talking to an engineer from Westlake Audio (they build studios and are famous for their audio monitors) who told me that if the equipment was built to run on either 110 or 220, you could just use 2 phase AC at 220 and achieve the same result without the cost of the transformer.

Well, it occured to me, as I was doing a bunch of electrical work today, why not run my HTPC and CRT projector at 220? Both are switchable between 110 and 220. Both will run at either 50 or 60 hz. 220 60 hz should be perfectly acceptable.

What do you all think?

I'm posting this in the CRT projectors and HTPC forums, and will follow up and direct to whichever one makes the most sense to people.
Closed Thread Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page