WinTV -HD New drivers or did I miss something - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #31 of 48 Old 06-04-2001, 06:54 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've done a few de-install/re-install sessions with the new 1.9 drivers and all is not good for me at least. I did finally get it to play back a recorded file, but I still am having a problem with the card locking up HARD at times (even while just viewing OTA). By hard lock up I mean the card is not found on reboot. I actually have to pull the power cord to reset it.

Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 48 Old 06-04-2001, 08:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Is everyone having success with the 1.9? I'm getting some good results and some confusing ones. Is anyone else seeing any of the following behavior?
- sound turns off when recording starts (can turn it back on once I stop recording, but not before.)
- flickering in windowed mode but not in 'tv' (full screen) mode while recording. flickering doesn't resemble loss of signal breakup.
- recorded programming plays back for 2-10 seconds, then stops playing back. hard drive light stops flashing, picture freezes.
- Yes, the sound turns off during recording, though it is there on playback.

- I don't notice any flickering.

- I unfortunately did see a similar problem tonight. Playing back after about 10 minutes it stopped. I tried it again and it stopped in the same place. From the time it took that might be the place where it should transit to the second file.

I guess this could be called a reel show stopper. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/wink.gif

- Tom

------------------
Getting started:
HTPC FAQ , DScaler , Xcel's Links .

Why don't we power our electric cars from greener, cheaper Liquid Fluoride Thorium Reactors?

Tom Barry - Find my video filters at www.trbarry.com
post #33 of 48 Old 06-05-2001, 08:56 AM

Hello All,
Well I wanted to post the link for the new BETA 1.9 software, but I was not fast enough. Anyway, later today check the Hauppauge ftp site for a new 1.9 BETA 3. It fixes a bug when switching from playback to live TV. It also fixes some problems in Win2000.

The Sound muting during recording is not a bug. We do this to save bandwidth to allow better captures. I know there will be a .reg file to turn this feature off if you wish to do so.

Some people with slower systems might experience a flicker when recording a stream and watching in a window, If you are in full screen mode you will not see this flicker. During playback of the recorded file you will not see this flicker. Make sure DMA is checked for your hard drives.

Also, stay tuned for some cool diag tools to analyze the captured streams. You can check for drop out errors and so on.

------------------
Best Regards
Peter Bauer
Product Manager
Hauppauge Computer Works
peterb@Hauppauge.com www.hauppauge.com

[This message has been edited by PeteB (edited 06-05-2001).]

Best Regards
Peter Bauer
Product Manager
Hauppauge Computer Works
peterb@Hauppauge.com
www.hauppauge.com
post #34 of 48 Old 06-05-2001, 11:58 AM

It's good to know that there is support for this card, that makes me feel good, however I cannot record, I get a bluescreeen crash. I have p3-800, dx8, win2k-sp2, 384ram, gforce2-gts, and have yet figured out the problem, hopefully with the upcoming 6/5/01 drivers this will be fixed.

Toolman
post #35 of 48 Old 06-05-2001, 07:15 PM

Everyone,

The new version is available from the main Hauppauge web site as an update to v1.7.

I did a re-install from the CD and applied 1.7 and 1.9. I was then able to make a 10minute recording, although a few minutes into the playback it locked up again.

When it locks up, the screen freezes (I am usually in full-screen mode) and the sound gets caught in a 1 second (or so) loop (I'm using analog audio at the moment).

Dave
post #36 of 48 Old 06-05-2001, 09:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Hello All,
Well I wanted to post the link for the new BETA 1.9 software, but I was not fast enough. Anyway, later today check the Hauppauge ftp site for a new 1.9 BETA 3. It fixes a bug when switching from playback to live TV. It also fixes some problems in Win2000.
Hi Pete -

Welcome back. It's good to see you guys are still occasionally monitoring this forum. As you can probably see, the WinTV-HD is starting to get a lot more interest now it has recording.

Does the new beta allow recording when SPDIF is checked?

Also, though most (except crashing) are not critical, there are a number of problems listed above. I've not yet reported any directly to Hauppage as I was still fiddling with it. Do we need to now? For instance the one stupid Detroit ABC weather map sub_channel that will reliably crash my system?

Another question ... When I first brought up the new Version I could swear there was something that looked like a playback slider or status of some sort. I haven't seen it since. Was that my imagination? Are there any docs or release notes? I couldn't find any.

Recording appears to buffer a fair amount of data in memory. I have a 866 P-III with 128 MB. Would it take advantage of more memory in any useful fashion? Memory is cheap these days.

For everyone's notice I want to second the notion that DMA needs to be checked. I recorded to a new hard drive last night and had not checked it. It will make unplayable choppy recordings without that.

But generally, good things are happening. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

- Tom

------------------
Getting started:

Why don't we power our electric cars from greener, cheaper Liquid Fluoride Thorium Reactors?

post #37 of 48 Old 06-05-2001, 10:10 PM
AVS Special Member

I updated the previous 1.9 Beta to the current Beta 3 without any problem. Recording went a little smother under Windows 2000, but playback would consistently freeze after 10 seconds or so on the two clips I was trying.

Normal viewing seems more stable with quicker channel changes.

Other features that are important to me include keyboard accelerator codes for new program options. This will facilitate using applications like Girder or the IR remote software with the WinTV-HD.

post #38 of 48 Old 06-06-2001, 07:20 AM

Hi Tom,
Thank you.
1 Yes, you can record with S/PDIF checked.

2 Docs & release notes should be released in a day or so.
I will check to see if your mind is playing tricks on you about the slider bar you saw.

3 Yes, More memory will improve recording

------------------
Best Regards
Peter Bauer
Product Manager
Hauppauge Computer Works
peterb@Hauppauge.com
www.hauppauge.com

Best Regards
Peter Bauer
Product Manager
Hauppauge Computer Works
peterb@Hauppauge.com
www.hauppauge.com
post #39 of 48 Old 06-06-2001, 07:26 AM

Hi Toolman,
How did the update go? Still experiencing the lock ups.

Hi David,
Send me your specs about you PC.
Do you have DMA checked for your hard drives?

------------------
Best Regards
Peter Bauer
Product Manager
Hauppauge Computer Works
peterb@Hauppauge.com
www.hauppauge.com

Best Regards
Peter Bauer
Product Manager
Hauppauge Computer Works
peterb@Hauppauge.com
www.hauppauge.com
post #40 of 48 Old 06-06-2001, 10:33 AM - Thread Starter

Wow, I wouldn't have thought my post would have grown as it has. I installed the update and just like Peter said the channel changing is faster. I would like to thank Peter for his post on the forum. This is one of the best if not best forum on the Net. There is a wealth of information here and everyone is enthusiastic about HTPC.

Lloyd
post #41 of 48 Old 06-06-2001, 12:51 PM

Peter,

I just noticed that the instructions got updated to include transport.reg. Before, this was just a link with no description so I hadn't applied it. I will do that tonight if it will make a difference.
post #42 of 48 Old 06-06-2001, 09:14 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 15
Pete, good to see you back. It looks like Hauppauge came to reclaim it's territory http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif.

------------------
-Michael
mkanet@yahoo.com

Can your HTPC Media Center / DVR Do this??

SageTV: Unrestricted full-quality 12 tuner HD Premium Cable recording, including "On Demand" in HD + OTA ATSC + DVB-S2 + Blu-ray/HD-DVD serving 5 clients.
post #43 of 48 Old 06-06-2001, 09:59 PM

Peter,

My machine is as follows:

Abit BX6-2.0 motherboard
Intel Celeron 300a running at 450Mhz (very stable/no heat problems at this speed)
128M PC100 RAM

AGP: Elsa GeForce2MX
PCI1: Empty
PCI2: WinTV-HD (replaced by Hauppauge once for 1080i jaggies mod)
PCI3: D-Link 10/100 NIC
PCI4: Soundblaster Live value
PCI5: Empty

IBM 6G HD w/ DMA enabled
Win98SE

Once I save all the stuff I need, I may do a re-install of 98SE to see if that helps.

Dave
post #44 of 48 Old 06-10-2001, 07:08 PM

Is anyone using the new record function without problems? What OS are you using? What WinTV-HD signal strength do you get for the programs you're recording? Intel or AMD?

I still haven't figured out what's keeping me from recording. The playback is still freezing for me after 2-15 seconds of playing. If there's a hiccup during recording, it should just recover like it does live, yes?

I did notice that the static I saw during recording correlates to when the HD light comes on. Don't konw if that's relevant or not. In control panel/system/device manager/hard drives/IDE it has DMA checked. Is there anywhere else I should check? Any other suggestions?
post #45 of 48 Old 06-10-2001, 07:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I haven't recorded that much with the newest version but the 2-3 things I have tried so far have had no problems. But so far that has only been a test of an hour of PBS demo loop and a couple short test recordings.

866 P-III CUSL2
128 MB ram
Win/Me
SPDIF output
no registry patches yet

- Tom

------------------
Getting started:

post #46 of 48 Old 06-10-2001, 10:26 PM

I used the Elecard decoder and windows media player to play back the stuff I recorded with WinTV-HD. The Elecard decoder died at approx. the same point as WinTV-HD, but it told me it was because it didn't like something called iviaudio.ax. Another thread on avsforum mentioned how to uninstall this. After that, the Elecard decoder played all my sample WinTV-HD recordings without any problem (lowish framerate, but good audio and no crashing). That's encouraging, because it implies there isn't any problem with the actual recordings.

When I try WinTV-HD now it pops up "InterVideo Audio decoder Filter Missing - failed." Then the program comes up and runs without sound. (If I reinstall the .ax thing, the sound comes back. With or without that .ax thing, WinTV-HD still locks up on replaying the same file that Elecard plays.)

All of this is way outside my comfort zone. (UNIX doesn't scare me. MS definitely does!) Is the InterVideo Audio decoder part of WinTV-HD? If not, why does WinTV lose sound when it's gone? Am I totally barking up the wrong tree as the first two paragraphs above are totally unrelated?
post #47 of 48 Old 06-10-2001, 11:18 PM
AVS Special Member

The WinTV-HD uses the InterVideo audio decoder to decode Dolby Digital audio from DTV broadcasts.

So too does WinDVD to play DVDs.

So too would Windows Media Player if it happened to choose that filter to decode DD audio instead of something else.

post #48 of 48 Old 06-11-2001, 12:04 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I have my WinTV-HD set to go straight out to my AV Receiver, so I may be bypassing the audio decode, and the problem.

- Tom

------------------
Getting started:

Closed Thread Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page