WinTV -HD New drivers or did I miss something - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #1 of 48 Old 06-02-2001, 12:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I saw these drivers on the Hauppauge FTP site. They appear to be 1.9 drivers posted on 5-24-01. Anyone else have comments on these? I'm currently trying them out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 48 Old 06-02-2001, 12:47 PM
AVS Special Member

There are new BETA drivers that do add some new and often requested features, but as far as I know these were not going to be posted on the ftp or web site yet.

Post or rivate message the ftp address you used to download when you get a chance.
post #3 of 48 Old 06-02-2001, 12:52 PM - Thread Starter

post #4 of 48 Old 06-02-2001, 01:01 PM
AVS Special Member

That looks like the real thing.

Seeing that these are posted on the web, I don't think that it's a problem to mention that this set of drivers do support HDTV recording.

That's the good news. The not so great news is that under Windows 2000 the recording features is a bit unstable. It may work better under 98 or ME. I was going to try ME today and see if things are more stable.

post #5 of 48 Old 06-02-2001, 03:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Joe -

I'm downloading them now, and will try on Win/ME. Any hints about installation?

BTW, everyone be aware its about a 56 MB download.

- Tom

------------------
Getting started:
HTPC FAQ , DScaler , Xcel's Links .

Why don't we power our electric cars from greener, cheaper Liquid Fluoride Thorium Reactors?

Tom Barry - Find my video filters at www.trbarry.com
post #6 of 48 Old 06-02-2001, 03:24 PM - Thread Starter

I tried them using WinME. I did a complete removal of the old drivers first. Them seem to be working good and yes the recording is working. The recording is not what I would call user friendly but hey it's a start and at least I can record HDTV. I will try using Win2K later. It is a large download for those without a broadband connection.
post #7 of 48 Old 06-02-2001, 03:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Tom,

Be sure to run the HCWClear.exe utility which clears all the previous WINTV-HD settings from the registry. From previous experience, if older drivers were already installed on the machine things can be a little more difficult to get running correctly vs. a virgin install of the software and drivers.

From what I've been told the HCWclear.exe utility attempts to return the registry to a virgin state so that installing the newer software and drivers will work correctly. Again, from previous experience, sometimes this worked and sometimes it didn't.

From fooling around with the software last night recording and playback under Windows 2000 was a bit unstable, but it does work. One strange little bug was that sound was muted while recording from a digital station.
post #8 of 48 Old 06-02-2001, 03:35 PM

Dang, guess I'm going to have to buy that 80G drive after all. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif
post #9 of 48 Old 06-02-2001, 06:07 PM

I'm running Win98SE and installed the new drivers after doing a HWCLEAR. Basic reception works and I can get it to save a file, although the sound mutes while recording. I get an instant crash when I try to play back the file I recorded.

Dave
post #10 of 48 Old 06-02-2001, 07:59 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Some people may not realize the importance of this question yet, but are the recorded files "standard" & unaltered HDTV stream files? In other words, can these files be played on a Hipix cards? Can someone record a small clip and put it on an FTP site?

------------------
-Michael
mkanet@yahoo.com

Can your HTPC Media Center / DVR Do this??

SageTV: Unrestricted full-quality 12 tuner HD Premium Cable recording, including "On Demand" in HD + OTA ATSC + DVB-S2 + Blu-ray/HD-DVD serving 5 clients.
post #11 of 48 Old 06-02-2001, 09:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Michael -

Quote:
Some people may not realize the importance of this question yet, but are the recorded files "standard" & unaltered HDTV stream files? In other words, can these files be played on a Hipix cards? Can someone record a small clip and put it on an FTP site?
I thought someone had said they were the complete transport stream but I can't tell easily so far. A short recording I made had both a huge .tp file and also a smaller .mpg file.

I do know that my WinTV-d could play HiPix minute files.

I don't have a server big enough for one of these files, but email me if you have other questions.

I've just spent the last few hours installing and playing with all this.

First I deleted all the WinTV-HD stuff with the control panel and then ran the HWClear utility. I think it was a little overzealous as it seemed my machine looked for drivers for almost every device the next time I rebooted. I even had to recreate my custom display resolution.

I then unzipped the new WTVHD files and ran setup. It couldn't find the card.

I removed my Zoltrix card due to messages about BTxxx drivers and then the install went okay, so I think the presence of the BTxxx card confuses things.

The new WinTV-HD software seems somewhat more sluggish, especially in channel scan or channel changing and it may take longer to lock onto channels. Also it may have worse reception ... or maybe it's just the storm over Detroit right now.

Anyway a scan found all 6 DTV stations that are available here, though I can crash my machine if I go to ABC sub channel 41-3 for some reason. That's usually just a weather map. BTW, I installed the old UseMultiPSIP.reg patch to get subchannels.

Recording seems to work, but only if you are NOT using SPDIF. If I have that checked then there is no disk activity and it creates a zero length file.

If I don't have SPDIF checked then manual recording works. There is no sound while recording, as mentioned above. The sound is fine during playback though. I recorded about 15 minutes of The District and it played back fine, but there is no way to pause, rewind, or FF the playback.

When I first brought up WinTV-HD I thought I saw some sort of Playback slider or status bar but it's disappeared and I haven't seen it since.

If anyone knows what it was or how to use it please let me know. I confess I just ran everything without dragging through any possible new help screens yet, so there may be more info there somewhere. But there was not any Readme file or release notes in the zip.

All in all, the new software still seems like the beta that it probably is but now at least the WinTV-HD does have recording.

More later.

- Tom

------------------
Getting started:

Why don't we power our electric cars from greener, cheaper Liquid Fluoride Thorium Reactors?

post #12 of 48 Old 06-03-2001, 12:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Can anyone confirm if the new software will play a series of HiPix files?

Bob
post #13 of 48 Old 06-03-2001, 02:30 AM
AVS Special Member

The WInTV-HD software will playback the raw transport stream as captured by the WinTV-D or the 1 minute files created by the Hipix. These files are RAW transport capture files that include extra info that may be broadcast by the local station.
post #14 of 48 Old 06-03-2001, 05:39 AM
AVS Club Gold

Can anyone confirm Bpearse's question. We already know that WInTV-HD can play single one minute files from Hipix.

However, what we dont know is how WinTV-HD would handle
xxxx.ts.0000
xxxx.ts.0001
xxxx.ts.0002
xxxx.ts.0003
etc

We also dont know if WinTV-HD breaks up the transport files into segments similar to hipix files...similar enough to play a series of these files on the opposing card and visa-versa.

I guess well find out today.

No matter what though, aiming for a raw and unaltered transport stream file is the way to go for all cards. Much more can be done with these files.

------------------
-Michael
mkanet@yahoo.com

SageTV: Unrestricted full-quality 12 tuner HD Premium Cable recording, including "On Demand" in HD + OTA ATSC + DVB-S2 + Blu-ray/HD-DVD serving 5 clients.
post #15 of 48 Old 06-03-2001, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mkanet:
Can anyone confirm Bpearse's question. We already know that WInTV-HD can play single one minute files from Hipix.

However, what we dont know is how WinTV-HD would handle
xxxx.ts.0000
xxxx.ts.0001
xxxx.ts.0002
etc

We also dont know if WinTV-HD breaks up the transport files into segments similar to hipix files...similar enough to play a series of these files on the opposing card and visa-versa.
I d/l the new drivers. I did a clean install on Win98se. Card not found. I solved this by going to device manager and giving the unknown "PCI Card" a driver from the d/l'ed drivers. Then the install found the card and worked fine.

Record and Playback worked mostly fine except the mentioned caviot that no sound while recording. It never crashed, but there were skips in the recording if I changed into/out of TV Mode. You *MUST* enable DMA on your hard drive to get smooth recordings. When I captured the stream, all I got was one .tp file. Its one monolithic file (not broken up). Its size depends on how long you record. I tried sizes up to ~900M

There are other minor changes. A new output resolution of 1280x768p has been added. Also the audio configure dialog has a few changes which I don't understand the import of yet.

I just got my WinTV-HD Friday so I guess you can blame me for there not being much on this weekend to record. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/frown.gif

------------------
W.A. Easterling, Grayswan
Senior Software Engineer

W.A. Easterling, Grayswan
post #16 of 48 Old 06-03-2001, 06:38 AM
AVS Club Gold

Doesn't sound to encouraging to be able to play a sequence of hipix files as one contiguous video on WinTV-HD

Im curious if the Hpix card will allow for a gigantic 1 gig .tp file (renamed to xxxx.ts.0000) to be played created from WinTV-HD.

Also I am curious if combining all the ts.000x files as on large file and renaming it to a xxx.tp will trick WinTV-HD into playing the hipix files as ne big .tp file...making it a large contiguous video.

------------------
-Michael
mkanet@yahoo.com

post #17 of 48 Old 06-03-2001, 07:01 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Can anyone confirm if the new software will play a series of HiPix files?
Yes, it can. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

I renamed some Hipix minute file samples as follows:

weta1.tp
weta1#1.mpg
weta1#2.mpg
weta1#3.mpg
weta1#4.mpg

The WTVHD card will play through the entire series if you start on the first .tp file but will just loop on a minute file if you start on one of the .mpg files.

It looks like the WTVHD (need a shorter acronym) will segment files only when it gets to about 1.95 GB, so many haven't noticed this yet. But when it does get there it adds the #1 suffix and changes the extension.

Anyway, good news. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

- Tom

------------------
Getting started:

post #18 of 48 Old 06-03-2001, 07:10 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Kosh58 -

A belated thanks for the link above that started me on all this. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/wink.gif

- Tom

------------------
Getting started:

post #19 of 48 Old 06-03-2001, 07:24 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Grayswan wrote:
Quote:
I d/l the new drivers. I did a clean install on Win98se. Card not found. I solved this by going to device manager and giving the unknown "PCI Card" a driver from the d/l'ed drivers. Then the install found the card and worked fine.
I omitted mentioning it above but I too had to go to the device manager and specify a driver location, so we should probably assume this is part of the install process for now. (Win/Me)

Maybe removing my Zoltrix card was unnecessary.

- Tom

------------------
Getting started:

post #20 of 48 Old 06-03-2001, 07:55 AM
AVS Special Member

mkanet...
>> Im curious if the Hpix card will allow for a gigantic 1 gig .tp file (renamed to xxxx.ts.0000) to be played created from WinTV-HD. <<

Probably so... The HiPix has no problem playing a 2gig HD stream created by the WinTV-D. Renaming the file is not necessary (unless you have multiple files and want them to chain). The HiPix WILL NOT play a filtered, single program SD stream correctly.
Gary
post #21 of 48 Old 06-03-2001, 10:36 AM
AVS Club Gold

I have just confirmed with Hipix, Hauppauge owners. Indeed Hipix and Hauppauge owners can unite!

------------------
-Michael
mkanet@yahoo.com

post #22 of 48 Old 06-03-2001, 12:20 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Tom!
It's good to see all the interest in the Wintv-HD card and the ability to finally record.

Lloyd
post #23 of 48 Old 06-03-2001, 12:37 PM
Advanced Member

So the million dollar question is, what to buy? The Wintv-hd card, or wait a month for the Hipix new production run? Or buy the AccessDTV card, with better Tivo-like PVR functions?

I've been monitoring the forum for months waiting for an obvious choice-- my 65" mits has been nagging me for a HD diet. If you guys didn't have any card at all, what would you buy now?
Starman

post #24 of 48 Old 06-03-2001, 01:01 PM
AVS Club Gold

spearse,

In a month Hauppauge's WinTV-HD software recording will mature and Hipix will be in production again. Pretty soon, choosing between the two cards will like choosing between a Panasonic 4 head VCR or Sony 4 head VCR...not a whole lot of difference.

AccessDTV has a valuable and powerful PVR feature that the other cards cant ever touch.

I dont know why, but this kind of reminds me of the old battle of Sony Beta-max VCR's VS. generic VHS VCRs. Beta had the better technology, but for some reason VHS was the one that survived. Perhaps, it's not a perfect comparison...but again, it reminds me of that old battle a long time ago.

Just wait a month and see...

[This message has been edited by mkanet (edited 06-03-2001).]

post #25 of 48 Old 06-03-2001, 08:56 PM
AVS Special Member

In my communications with Peter Bauer at Hauppauge, he was clear that the drivers that are currently posted are BETA. He even sent me a CD with the current drivers that had a label that was clearly marked BETA.

One little odd thing is that I don't think that Hauppauge was going to make a public announcement about these drivers just yet, but it's good to see that they are working fairly well for a number of AVSforum members.

I fully expect that the drivers will improve rapidly, but the PVR features that are part of the AccessDTV platform are kind of out of the core business of Hauppauge. Well, with the exception of the WinTV-PVR product. It could be the case that software developed for that product could be adapted to the WinTV-HD. Or maybe third party applications such as ShowSifter www.showshifter.com will fill the void.

Long story short, Hauppauge has provided a solid hardware product that works as well or better than any other HDTV PC cards out there. The latest BETA drivers add HDTV recording. With a little positive feedback and kind words of appreciation I'm sure that Hauppauge will continue to develop this platform and add features that will bring added benefit to the HTPC crowd.

I would also guess that Hauppauge is a larger customer of Teralogic at this point in the game and that could imply that if Hauppauge requests new features be added to the Janus chipset firmware, we might have a better shot at getting it implemented. Such things as D-ILA support or 2.35 aspect ratio support would be things that I would LOVE to see.
post #26 of 48 Old 06-03-2001, 09:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I previously claimed above that maybe my WinTV-HD reception was not as good with the new beta.

However I was out in the back yard this afternoon and noticed that the wind (or a low flying hawk) has helpfully rotated my supposedly fixed directional antenna about 45 degrees, so the reception comment was likely unfair.

But I was too lazy to climb up and fix it today.

- Tom

later edit: I still haven't fixed it but it's fine now anyway. From the HDTV forum I find that over half the Detroit stations were having trouble over the weekend.

------------------
Getting started:

[This message has been edited by trbarry (edited 06-04-2001).]

post #27 of 48 Old 06-04-2001, 11:38 AM
AVS Special Member

^ Bump ^
post #28 of 48 Old 06-04-2001, 12:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Spearse.....................wait for the HiPix.......... and pick up a WinTV-D to compliment it, while they are still available http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

[This message has been edited by GaryHDTV (edited 06-04-2001).]
post #29 of 48 Old 06-04-2001, 05:13 PM

I really appreciate that Hauppauge released a beta version of this update for us eager beavers to experiment with. It's also great to know that they're continuing to develop for the Win-TV HD.

Is everyone having success with the 1.9? I'm getting some good results and some confusing ones. Is anyone else seeing any of the following behavior?
- sound turns off when recording starts (can turn it back on once I stop recording, but not before.)
- flickering in windowed mode but not in 'tv' (full screen) mode while recording. flickering doesn't resemble loss of signal breakup.
- recorded programming plays back for 2-10 seconds, then stops playing back. hard drive light stops flashing, picture freezes.

The last part is of course the part I'm most curious about. Is anyone else seeing this? I've only recorded a dozen or so snippets, so I'll keep experimenting to see if there's a pattern. The only thing I've noticed so far is, I haven't had a problem with CBS, only fox/abc. (I'm in Philly.) (I have a 1.2g athlon, a lot of memory, and windows me. latest detonator drivers, latest via chipset 4-in-1 upgrade. It's a virgin install--this computer has never had anything but version 1.9.)

post #30 of 48 Old 06-04-2001, 05:47 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally posted by voodoody:
Michael,

Why do you say that AccessHDTV card has pvr features that the other cards will NEVER touch?
There are some significant hardware additions to the accessDTV card that the other cards dont have.

Check out the below thread which briefly explains the difference.
http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/Forum12/HTML/010646.html

Since you are new to the forum you may not realize why the majority of people STILL choose Hipix/WinTV-HD over accessDTV at this time, even though accessDTV outperforms and outfeatures the other cards. In fact, some people have gone to the extent in the past to buy used Hipix cards!

Hopefully, the below thread will explain: http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/Forum12/HTML/011001.html#16

------------------
-Michael
mkanet@yahoo.com

Closed Thread Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page