Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 08-07-2001, 10:00 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
How many serial ports do you need?!

You should already have 2 on your mb. A $50 card from CompUSA will give you another 2 (and another parallel). In theory, if you have enough free slots, you should be able to add 2 or more cards to give you a total of 6+, although I haven't any experience with this.

I used Rocketport ISA cards about 4-5 years ago, and for industrial use, yes they are good. For home use I suspect that CompUSA cards may be easier to setup. Of course if you need lots of ports and you can get a rocketport cheap then it is probably the best multiport solution.

------------------
.sig for sale. Best offer accepted.

Clickaclickaclicka. Click.
The film spun to a standstill. There was a thunder of applause, a stamping of feet and a barrage of empty banged grain bags.
In the very front row of the Odium the Librarian stared up at the now empty screen. It was the fourth time that afternoon he'd watched Shadow of...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 08-07-2001, 02:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Check out Quatech . Also, check out my project, which is coming along soon here

------------------
Dean Roddey
The Charmed Quark Controller
droddey@charmedquark.com
www.charmedquark.com

If it don't have a control port, don't buy it!

Dean Roddey
Chairman/CTO, Charmed Quark Systems, Ltd

www.charmedquark.com

post #3 of 7 Old 08-07-2001, 03:15 PM
Advanced Member

I use a RocketPort USB attached serial hub (4 ports). It was $179 at www.usbtown.com To Windows software, they look just like regular serial ports (Com5-Com8). I use (or plan to use) Girder to control my NEC LT150 projector, my X10 stuff, my line doubler and as an IR transceiver.

Good luck! http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

------------------

Huck

Huck
post #4 of 7 Old 08-07-2001, 05:19 PM

Thanks for the replies. Unless I hear anything negative about the RocketPort Serial Hub Si, I think I'll pick one up on Ebay for $250. I like these units because they will be compatible with RS-232 / RS-422 / RS-485, they use a 10base-T connection to a network so I won't be using up additional PCI Slots and IRQ's, and any computer on the network can be configured to access any of the eight COM ports.

Dean,
I really like what you are doing with the Charmed Quark software. I wish I had any of the correct hardware to test it out. I'm looking forward to seeing how your project progresses. Do you have any recommendations for books or websites to learn more about programming drivers and front ends for serial devices? As I mentioned earlier, I've only been programming (C and C++) for the last year and I still consider myself a beginner. However, I keep learning everyday and I hope to soon tackle my own projects.

Thanks for your help,
James
post #5 of 7 Old 08-07-2001, 09:34 PM

Does anyone have experience using the RocketPort Serial Hub Si units?
http://www.comtrol.com/sales/specs/rpshsi.htm

The retail price $995 is pretty steep. However, someone has been liquidating a lot of these on Ebay lately and I've been tempted to buy one.

It seems like it may be an easy way to add more Serial ports to my setup. I'm interested in using a PC to control devices with rs-232 ports like my Electrohome projector and rs-485 ports for RCS thermostats and perhaps a JDS Stargate.

My programming skills are still pretty weak, but I'm learning. My goal is to be able to control home automation features (X-10, zoned HVAC, curtains, projector lift, screen, AV distribution, etc...) with touchscreen monitors.

If anyone has any advice about the product listed above, or similar products, please let me know. Any other ideas are welcome.

Thanks,
James
post #6 of 7 Old 08-08-2001, 11:41 AM
Advanced Member

James,

Could you keep us posted on how these components work for you? I'm always looking for new ways to do old tricks. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

Thanks.

------------------

Huck

Huck
post #7 of 7 Old 08-08-2001, 05:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Do you have any recommendations for books or websites to learn more about programming drivers and front ends for serial devices? As I mentioned earlier, I've only been programming (C and C++) for the last year and I still consider myself a beginner. However, I keep learning everyday and I hope to soon tackle my own projects.
I don't know of any right off hand. I kind of learned it on the streets so to speak :-) And it depends on what you are talking about. If you mean under NT/W2K, then its nothign to do with hardware and just understanding the documented APIs. if you want to write serial drivers, that's a hardware thing and much different.

------------------
Dean Roddey
The Charmed Quark Controller
droddey@charmedquark.com
www.charmedquark.com

If it don't have a control port, don't buy it!

Dean Roddey
Chairman/CTO, Charmed Quark Systems, Ltd

www.charmedquark.com

Closed Thread Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page