wake up circuity and scheduling software - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 08-23-2001, 07:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Please excuse me if this is an old issue since I am a newbie.
I have already built a basic machine to show digitized images from my vacation trips on my TV. I would like to add my own version of a TIVO with scheduling or timing software and some sort of circuit to wake the pc out of standby mode. Do either of these items exist out there?
My goal is a prototype complete video editing studio for video and stills with internet capability attached to my tv. the current unit has remote IR keyboard and mouse. Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 08-24-2001, 10:01 AM
Advanced Member

Most modern motherboards that support 'Suspend to Ram' have 'Wake on LAN' and/or 'Wake on Modem'. Some will also allow you to use 'Wake on COM'.

So, Wake on COM should allow you to be able to wake up the machine using IRMAN, or some other circuit. The problem with IRMAN is that *any* IR signal recieved by IRMAN will wake the PC up, whereas making your own circuit could avoid this. In fact, there are IR reciever designs on the 'net that could potentially be modified to only respond to one IR command so that you could do this.

However, you are still stuck with the conundrum: The HTPC has to be on for the scheduler software to run.
A possible solution for this is if you have another machine on a LAN that is on 24x7 - you could hack together a scheduler on that system that will use WOL to wake the HTPC a few minutes before the scheduled event.

What would be nice is if someone wrote a scheduler to use a standard SQL database backend, using ODBC. Then the database could be be running on the other machine, and coding an application to read that schedule and wake the HTPC up would be fairly trivial.

------------------
No one made me an offer for my .sig so I'm going to keep it.

Clickaclickaclicka. Click.
The film spun to a standstill. There was a thunder of applause, a stamping of feet and a barrage of empty banged grain bags.
In the very front row of the Odium the Librarian stared up at the now empty screen. It was the fourth time that afternoon he'd watched Shadow of...
post #3 of 7 Old 08-24-2001, 10:17 AM

This is a little off topic, but... Can someone recommend a good home automation forum? Similar to this but with emphases on home automation (X10, IR, RF) discussions?

David.

[This message has been edited by david@pflanzer.com (edited 08-24-2001).]
post #4 of 7 Old 08-24-2001, 11:18 AM

Absolutely, but its a Usenet newsgroup rather than any web-forum. For home-automation in general, you really can't beat the comp.home.automation newsgroup...

Matthew
post #5 of 7 Old 08-24-2001, 11:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Why not just leave the PC on all the time? An idle PC does not draw much power and its better on the moving components (Hard Drive, etc) anyways...

Andy K.

------------------
"L T One-Fifty
Did your light guide the wisemen,
to baby Jesus?"
post #6 of 7 Old 08-24-2001, 05:51 PM
DAP
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
The windows scheduler program (part of windows 2000) can wake a computer from hibernation at a scheduled time and run a program. It will not start a computer that has been shut down however. Hibernation is when the computer saves an image of memory to disk, then shuts down. When the computer is next turned on, it reloads the ram image from disk and resumes where it left off. Many newer motherboards are capable of powering themselves on at a specific time & date, and that is what windows scheduler uses to wake from hibernation.

Unfortunately there is a large number of bad devices drivers & programs that can prevent your computer from properly hibernating. Two that I know of are Nero burning rom 5.5, and Adobe font manager.

I had intended to write such a scheduling application, but that has been put off indefinitely until I can get my computer stable. (latest issue is that the processor went bad).

[This message has been edited by DAP (edited 08-24-2001).]
post #7 of 7 Old 08-24-2001, 09:04 PM

I haven't used these but Snapstream or Showshifter look like they fit the bill Showshifter and Snapstream.com

------------------
Why you act frightened? I am enlightened.

Why you act frightened? I am enlightened. -AIC
Closed Thread Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page