Multiple PS2 mice and Pronto 'mouse' - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 09-08-2001, 12:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Phreddy,

I too am looking into the same solutions. I would love to keep using the pronto keyb./mouse combo but add support for a full keyboard and mouse.
I am also looking into using USB connections for synching Palm V and Pronto. The Palm sells a USB cradle but I don't want to buy it. There are cables available for about 20.00 US that allow you to connect serial devices to USB. With my current setup USB connections would be most ideal because I have two on the front of my sound card module (game theater XP).

So If I went with a usb mouse and keybaord hopefully I would be able to hotplug these in and somehow switch windows around so there are no conflicts with the IR setup?

The other alternative for me would be to just use PS2 extension cables to the front of my PC and when I want to boot for games, etc, just manually switch from IR receiver to hardwired keyboard and mouse.

But like your situation I would much rather have a solution which allowed software switching or using two different mice, keyboards, at the same time.

Anyone have experience with using USB and PS2 keyboards/mice at the same time?

How about splitters ( which I am not too optimistic about)?
Could we get those to work?

as an edit: Phreddy, the 2 mice theory would be fun. One for myself, and one for my wife.http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/redface.gif

------------------
Thanks,
hmcgrath
--------
1.4 AMD/Epox 8k7a+/512 MB/ANTEC 780B/Tosiba DVD/Plextor CDRW/IBM 60XGP 40GB(2)(RAID striped)
Radeon 64MB DDR VIVO/Hercules GameTheater XP/Windows ME /Gateway 27"
-- Pronto and One For All/Philips IR Keyboard/Mouse --

[This message has been edited by hmcgrath (edited 09-08-2001).]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2001, 10:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Since getting the Pronto compatible keyboard and mouse I have given the mouse over to this setup and for general HTPC use (90% of everything is Girder anyway) this is working ok but 'mouse mode' although usable is not as nice as my previous IR mouse supplied with the Viewsonic Davis clone...

I was curious if anyone has tried to use a PS2 splitter with the mouse Rx and another PS2 mouse ?? I have seen a cheap Belkin splitter that sounds like it should work... If not what about a PS2 to USB and then having one mouse USB and one PS2 ??

If this works do you end up with 2 mice or one way of controlling a single mouse pointer ???

I am sure I could solve the problem with Y Mouse as that is exactly the purpose of this quest but if able to do it cheaper (and without the inevitable shipping hassle) I would...

On a related note, I intend to boost my PC's game playing use and will need to add a hardwired keyboard for occasional duties... I am thinking a USB keyboard and mouse package is ideal (I already have a tethered USB Hub + gamepads and can just chuck it into a drawer when not wanted) but again want to hear comments concerning how well these devices are all likely to integrate together... Does an additional USB mouse and keyboard work with a IR one still installed ??

------------------
New email Phreddy@PhatPhreddy.net
HTPC without using windows... GUI Front Ends for Home Theater
Old 09-09-2001, 12:54 AM - Thread Starter

Phreddy,

I just hooked up a microsoft intellimouse to the serial port using the supplied serial to ps2 adapter. Everything is working fine, the mouse/keyboard combo and the microsoft mouse. Both mouse inputs control the same pointer.

With this in effect I'm sure that hotplugging USB keyboards and mice would work fine as well.

I think my solution for using a wired keyboard would be to run a ps2 extension from the port and manually switch when I need to.

------------------
Thanks,
hmcgrath
--------
1.4 AMD/Epox 8k7a+/512 MB/ANTEC 780B/Tosiba DVD/Plextor CDRW/IBM 60XGP 40GB(2)(RAID striped)
Radeon 64MB DDR VIVO/Hercules GameTheater XP/Windows ME /Gateway 27"
-- Pronto and One For All/Philips IR Keyboard/Mouse --