OT, USB driver help - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 1 Old 12-19-2003, 12:22 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Ok, this is seriously off-topic with HTPCs, but I can't figure out my problem. I purchased a GPS receiver (DeLorme Earthmate w/StreetAtlas 2003) for my father for Christmas to use with his laptop. His laptop is an older Dell with a Pentium/MX processor which had Win95 on it. I installed the StreetAtlas software, rebooted, then connected the GPS antenna via USB. Windows detected the device, but installed drivers for an 'Unknown Device'. I then used the installation disc for the Earthmate to properly install it. Loaded up StreetAtlas, and it could not find the GPS receiver (selected USB).

Then I decided to read the Requirements on the box. It said Win98 and above. Ah, that's my problem. I upgraded the laptop to Win98 (did NOT re-format HDD, so not a clean install). After upgrading, I uninstalled the StreetAtlas software, rebooted, and re-installed it. Rebooted, plugged the GPS receiver into the USB port and ran the installation disc again. Again, StreetAtlas could not find the GPS receiver. Rebooted in SafeMode, unstalled anything having to do with the USB (Hubs and everything). Rebooted, Win98 detected new hardware, and USB controller was installed. Plugged the GPS receiver into the USB port, Win98 detected and installed a driver for 'Unknown Hardware'.

WTF?

The instructions say Win98 is supposed to detect a 'DeLorme Earthmate GPS' and then I should run the installation disc. But it keeps detecting an "Unknown Device". When I look in the System/Devices under Control Panel, the GPS is supposed to be listed under 'Human Interface Devices', or something like that. Well, there isn't any 'Human Interface Devices' listed what-so-ever. I've tried searching Google for the problem and on DeLorme's website, but can't find the problem. Anyone offer any help on this? Should I reformat his HDD and do a clean install of Win98? Thanks in advance and my apologies to the mods that this is off-topic, I just need this thing working by Christmas.

Note:
I have installed it successfully on my WinXP desktop and it works like a charm. And I've hooked a digital camera via USB to his laptop and Win98 finds it just fine.

Currently testing 3D with Sammy DLP, shutter glasses, and HTPC
Closed Thread Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page