post #3691 of 4207 Old 11-02-2005, 05:36 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by TPeterson View Post

Ouch!! That's too hard to work for only "about 50%" success. We need to point MIT to a "sure thing".

Howsabouts you do your "heavy lifting" work, which in theory consumes something MyHD needs, then fire-up MyHD without the coax connected, then after a second or two connect the coax. Maybe that would be 100% failure rate.

--Dale--
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3692 of 4207 Old 11-02-2005, 06:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 16
If it's simply a matter of tying up RAM before MyHD gets a shot at it, there should be a much faster-cooking recipe than Ben has suggested. What about a dummy process that simply mallocs everything in sight and holds onto it until exited? Would that do it?
post #3693 of 4207 Old 11-02-2005, 06:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

If it's simply a matter of tying up RAM before MyHD gets a shot at it, there should be a much faster-cooking recipe than Ben has suggested. What about a dummy process that simply mallocs everything in sight and holds onto it until exited? Would that do it?

I have often wondered if the avisynth scripting part of my encoding process is the culprit, but I have no reason to really point the finger at that and back me up. I guess I am thinking this way because my AVIsynth scripts do alot to the video (resize, crop, deinterlace, remove dots and smooth, shift audio by an offset, trim sections). On top of that the xvid codec encodes the resulting frames from those operations, so it could also be caused by that. It also happens if I use Divx as well. I can certainly try what sengsational suggested, but since I have to be encoding for a couple hours it may be hit and miss with short tests like that. Of course it could be the hyperthreading I always have enabled in the system too. I know I cannot play DVDs through MyHD with HT enabled. I wonder if MIT could update the software to allow HT to be enabled without crippling the functionality of the MyHD card. They must have a good reason to not allow DVD playback while HT is enabled. I long wonder the technical reason for that actually.
post #3694 of 4207 Old 11-03-2005, 12:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I don't know if I'm still having the problem (frequent "No Signal" when tuning even strong signal stations) because I'm having a roof job on my house and they took down my sole remaining antenna (I took down the other). My only TV is a rabbit ears on my analog set for the next day or two). A total roof tear-off is a once in a lifetime experience not to be forgotten.
post #3695 of 4207 Old 11-06-2005, 08:01 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Is there any way to extend an existing recording in progress (lenghten the time)?

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way.
The Internet is no place for streaming video.
post #3696 of 4207 Old 11-06-2005, 10:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post

Is there any way to extend an existing recording in progress (lenghten the time)?

Not a scheduled recording...unless you schedule an additional recording to start the minute the other one ends. Otherwise kill the recording during a commercial and add another for the full time.

if you do an on demand record, you can press the record button on the remote multiple times and it will add time on to the recording (up to 180 minutes).
post #3697 of 4207 Old 11-07-2005, 06:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
if you do an on demand record, you can press the record button on the remote multiple times and it will add time on to the recording (up to 180 minutes).

"On demand record"?

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way.
post #3698 of 4207 Old 11-07-2005, 06:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 228
Quote:

"On demand record"?

Meaning. You are watching TV and just press the record button. Subsequent presses can toggle the amount of time to record. Pressing once will record until you stop or run out of disk space.

-- Rich

Oppo Beta Group

Oppo BDP-105D | Oppo HA-1 | Oppo PM-1 | Parasound A51 | Revel Salon, Voice, Studio | Velodyne HGS-15
post #3699 of 4207 Old 11-07-2005, 06:47 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Ok, never used that yet. What are the recording increments? 30" a press?

post #3700 of 4207 Old 11-07-2005, 06:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 228
Quote:

Yes. Of course, you could just press the buttons and find out

-- Rich

Oppo Beta Group

Oppo BDP-105D | Oppo HA-1 | Oppo PM-1 | Parasound A51 | Revel Salon, Voice, Studio | Velodyne HGS-15
post #3701 of 4207 Old 11-07-2005, 07:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Actually, it's 30' (minutes).
post #3702 of 4207 Old 11-07-2005, 07:50 AM
AVS Addicted Member

' is hours and " is minutes.
You're thinking of map coordinates.

post #3703 of 4207 Old 11-07-2005, 10:13 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Not according to my sources: http://www.answers.com/topic/minute-1

Single quote is minutes and double is seconds.
post #3704 of 4207 Old 11-07-2005, 10:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

The symbol for a minute of arc is a prime '

As in a map.

post #3705 of 4207 Old 11-07-2005, 11:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:

You're thinking of map coordinates.

ISO is HH:MM:SS or HH:MM:SSSS for time notation. I can not find any standard that uses ' or " as a time notation. Degrees (°), Minutes (') & Seconds (") coordinate notation should not be used for time notations.
post #3706 of 4207 Old 11-14-2005, 05:35 AM

I'm having problems when setting MyHD to use the soundcard SPDIF (onboard Realtek HD Audio). After about 30 minutes I get sound drop outs. I am using MyHD 1.66E on a MDP120/DVI. Is there anything I can try? Thanks....
post #3707 of 4207 Old 11-14-2005, 06:25 AM

I'd like to know why some people get dropouts and others don't. I've got them and have never found a way to avoid it. It's not in the data stream because I can rewind and play it back and it's fine, plus I never get dropouts when I use another player to play it back. So, IMO something in the MyHD system playback is at fault.

I've changed motherboards, reinstalled the OS, installed the newest drivers for everything, replaced my cables, and the problem still exists. I don't know what else to try.

For what it's worth I'm using an ASUS P5P800 motherboard with a 3 Gig CPU and 1 Gig of ram. I've turned off hyperthreading with no change.

The old system was a P4PE with a 2.5 Gig CPU and 1 Gig of ram. All OS's were the XP Pro with SP2.

I honestly think you'll have to live with the problem or use another player for playback and never watch realtime TV.
post #3708 of 4207 Old 11-14-2005, 06:32 AM

Just to add, it plays perfectly fine from the MyHD SPDIF, its only when piped through the soundcard that I get a problem.
post #3709 of 4207 Old 11-14-2005, 09:00 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Matt and cummings66--

Some A/V receivers are fussier than others about their S/PDIF inputs. I had dropout problems such as you describe with the AC'97 S/PDIF output from MyHD until I changed from an older JVC model to a newer Onkyo. At least part of the problem was evidently with MyHD, because (after getting the AC'97 driver right) I never heard any glitches when using any software-based players with the JVC. But, whatever the deficiencies are, the Onkyo takes them in stride with no dropouts. Unfortunately (because of the menu-sloth bug) you'll have to stick with the MDP's S/PDIF if you get AC'97 dropouts that don't occur when using other players. Of course, you should test the other players to see if there are dropouts because, if so, you may be able to eliminate them with a different AC'97 driver--there are many ways to mess up AC'97 sound.
post #3710 of 4207 Old 11-14-2005, 10:05 AM
AVS Special Member

And to add to the confusion, I have the opposite problem. Dropouts with MDP-130 SPDIF and perfect audio from AC97 SPDIF.

I'm also using Onkyo TX-SR702 receiver and Asus P4C800E-DLX with onboard ADI sound chipset.

I'm just going to stick with AC97 SPDIF because I've exhausted the immediate possibilities with debugging the problem. I may try different receiver, but new m/b and/or reinstall WinXP is too much trouble. I have saved versions of XP with nothing loaded, so I think I've essentially done the WinXP reinstall thingy, in a roundabout way.
post #3711 of 4207 Old 11-14-2005, 10:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Terry, I notice you are in San Carlos. Do you pick up NBC over Comcast?

I've found all my channels on MDP-130 are perfect except for NBC-HD. The video tends to pixelate a lot but the audio is fine. All other channels, 720p, 1080i, analog are fine. On my Comcast NBC-HD is on QAM 116.1

I haven't done much to debug it yet, just wondering if it seen by someone else.

When I get a chance I'll try OTA to see if it is any different. I don't know if it is still the case, but NBC was the only "major" not transmitting out of Mt Sutro before.
post #3712 of 4207 Old 11-14-2005, 10:12 AM
AVS Addicted Member

If AC'97 S/PDIF works for you, I can't think of any good reasons not to use it or to use the MDP's port (especially while the menu-sloth bug lives).
post #3713 of 4207 Old 11-14-2005, 10:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

If AC'97 S/PDIF works for you, I can't think of any good reasons not to use it or to use the MDP's port (especially while the menu-sloth bug lives).

The only reason I'm still thinking about it is because I may end up connecting to a different system where I only have optical available. MyHD optical SPDIF on the DVI daughtercard would be better in that situation than the coax on my m/b.
post #3714 of 4207 Old 11-14-2005, 10:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfhub
Terry, I notice you are in San Carlos. Do you pick up NBC over Comcast?

I've found all my channels on MDP-130 are perfect except for NBC-HD. The video tends to pixelate a lot but the audio is fine. All other channels, 720p, 1080i, analog are fine. On my Comcast NBC-HD is on QAM 116.1

I haven't done much to debug it yet, just wondering if it seen by someone else.

When I get a chance I'll try OTA to see if it is any different. I don't know if it is still the case, but NBC was the only "major" not transmitting out of Mt Sutro before.
Yes, I get NBC both OTA and via Comcast. The NBC station has moved to Mt. San Bruno and is now pretty strong in the North Bay. The Comcast streams on D116 (NBC and ESPN-HD, now encrypted) as well as DISC-HD (D115-3, also now encrypted) seem to have abnormal "DTS offsets" and cause MyHD buffer overflows, which give the pixelations. You can try the attached .reg file which modifies the MDP's DTS offset setting and seems to fix these cable channels without messing up the "normal" ones. N.B.: Anyone reading this uses this registry modification at your own risk. Make a backup before trying it.

N.B.2: This setting only affects live play and does nothing for file playback, which uses a different (more flexible) method of buffering.

VideoDtsOffset0.zip 0.318359375k . file
post #3715 of 4207 Old 11-14-2005, 11:02 AM

Whats the menu sloth bug?
post #3716 of 4207 Old 11-14-2005, 11:35 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattmarsden View Post

Whats the menu sloth bug?

Here is one place that it's described.
post #3717 of 4207 Old 11-14-2005, 12:36 PM

Do you know if the USB SPDIF dongles wotk with MyHD, I might give one a try. I know they use the AC97 codec.
post #3718 of 4207 Old 11-14-2005, 01:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You can try the attached .reg file which modifies the MDP's DTS offset setting and seems to fix these cable channels without messing up the "normal" ones.

Thanks so much. That seems to have fixed the problem. I will test in more detail tonight.
post #3719 of 4207 Old 11-14-2005, 06:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfhub View Post

The only reason I'm still thinking about it is because I may end up connecting to a different system where I only have optical available.

I use a $15 S/PDIF to toslink adapter because my receiver has more optical inputs (3) than coax (1). I run the coax for distance, change to optical for compatibility (and fewer ground loops).

Sturgeon's Law: "Nothing is always absolutely so."
Sturgeons Revelation: "Ninety percent of everything is crud."
My Thoughts: "A reasoned argument must share some basic common points."
post #3720 of 4207 Old 11-14-2005, 08:11 PM

Quote:

For me that's what is odd. It's not the hardware exactly.

First of all I am not using the MyHD S/PDIF output, but rather the AC97 output from the motherboard, so the MyHD card sends it's output via wave. Now if I play or watch live TV or recordings it's audio is via the motherboard or my X-Mystique card, both drop the audio by the way only when MyHD is the player.

Now if I take the transport stream and play it back in another player like SageTV it's perfect, no audio dropouts. I can also play it back in other players fine as well, but if I use MyHD to play it back I get dropouts every so often, every single time.

I've repeated this on MCE and XP Pro and different motherboards and hard drives as well. I just finished installing a new HD and MCE SP2 a bit ago and the dropouts are still there when played back from the MyHD software. The hardware is capturing the stream fine however because other players are fine with it.

My receiver is a Pioneer VSX-1015 and maybe it doesn't like how MyHD does it. My other receiver is a Pioneer VSX-1014 and it behaves the same, but it's pretty much the same thing except for WMA decoding built in.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page