post #3751 of 4207 Old 11-20-2005, 08:16 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:

MyHD records these but can't playback.

Why would ANYTHING work one way and not the other?

I've have seen/read some stupid stuff, but this really takes the cake. Why doesn't/can't it record a .tp file?

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way.
The Internet is no place for streaming video.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3752 of 4207 Old 11-20-2005, 08:52 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Geez, Bruce, where've you been that you've missed all the "don't do that!" responses to "how do I record NTSC with MyHD?"

Yes, it works as well as the proverbial dog plays poker. It produces (after a lot of careful setup) AVI files the the app won't play and on many systems it won't make even those at higher rez than 320x240. Get an NTSC capture card with built-in hw MPEG-2 encoder if you really must record analog TV.
post #3753 of 4207 Old 11-20-2005, 08:55 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post

Why doesn't/can't it record a .tp file?

(1) It doesn't have a hardware MPEG-2 encoder. (2) Making TS (.tp files) on the fly is outside the scope of any consumer-level product so far. The ATSC streams arrive at the box as TS.
post #3754 of 4207 Old 11-20-2005, 09:05 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:

where've you been that you've missed all the "don't do that!" responses to "how do I record NTSC with MyHD?"

Trying to find a decent Microdisplay.
Quote:

The ATSC streams arrive at the box as TS.

I see said the blind man. Never thought about it that way.

I never tried to record SD anything since that wasn't what I really got it for. Intill a month ago, the only thing this was connected to was a 19" LCD computer monitor. I only recorded one or two programs a week.

Since I have found out via a larger set that SD is unacceptable on this, I won't bother. Almost as bad as that overly compresed smear that is delivered via satellite.

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way.
The Internet is no place for streaming video.
post #3755 of 4207 Old 12-17-2005, 05:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm suddenly getting audio dropouts the last couple of days while timeshifting. Backing up I see that the dropouts aren't in the recording because the next time through I get no dropout. The dropouts are a fraction of a second and usually in a little swarm for a second or two. The MyHD audio is PC Soundcard/Dolby Surround and the output from my soundcard is by SPDIF coaxial to my receiver. Any help appreciated.
post #3756 of 4207 Old 12-17-2005, 06:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Muse, why are you doing three conversions of the audio stream? If you're sending it via S/PDIF to a receiver DSP, why not select "PC Soundcard/SPDIF" instead of Dolby? Don't know if that'll help the dropouts, but it might.

{edit: BTW, what system change did you make that started these?}
post #3757 of 4207 Old 12-18-2005, 10:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPeterson View Post

Muse, why are you doing three conversions of the audio stream? If you're sending it via S/PDIF to a receiver DSP, why not select "PC Soundcard/SPDIF" instead of Dolby? Don't know if that'll help the dropouts, but it might.

{edit: BTW, what system change did you make that started these?}

Mmm, well, I changed to '"PC Soundcard/SPDIF" instead of Dolby' and got silence! So, I'm back at PC Soundcard. I guess I disconnected the optical cable from the daughterboard is why. Why did I do that? Well, I was having some anomalous behavior/performance using SPDIF from the daughterboard (don't recall what it was). It was suggested I try sending the sound through the PCI bus instead. I'm going to search back in this thread 8 months to a year or so and see if I can find the posts.

I'm unaware of having made any system changes or any changes that might account for the sudden problem.

Edit 2 hours later: Whatever the reason, it's not happening today right now.
post #3758 of 4207 Old 12-18-2005, 05:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muse View Post

Mmm, well, I changed to '"PC Soundcard/SPDIF" instead of Dolby' and got silence! So, I'm back at PC Soundcard. I guess I disconnected the optical cable from the daughterboard is why. Why did I do that? Well, I was having some anomalous behavior/performance using SPDIF from the daughterboard (don't recall what it was). It was suggested I try sending the sound through the PCI bus instead. I'm going to search back in this thread 8 months to a year or so and see if I can find the posts.

I'm unaware of having made any system changes or any changes that might account for the sudden problem.

Edit 2 hours later: Whatever the reason, it's not happening today right now.

I guess I was unclear. I meant that you would change the PC Soundcard sub option from "Dolby" to "S/PDIF" (i.e., pass the AC-3 stream via the mobo's AC'97 hw to the mobo S/PDIF) not that you should change the major option from "Soundcard" to "S/PDIF". The latter would give silence if you have no connection from the MDP S/PDIF or Toslink outputs to your receiver while the former would have the same S/PDIF path as you're now using--and shouldn't give silence!
post #3759 of 4207 Old 12-18-2005, 05:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Backing up I see that the dropouts aren't in the recording because the next time through I get no dropout.

Have you checked fragmentation of your hard drive lately. If you don't have a dedicated partition for timeshifting, that can quickly become a problem.
post #3760 of 4207 Old 12-19-2005, 02:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris White View Post

Have you checked fragmentation of your hard drive lately. If you don't have a dedicated partition for timeshifting, that can quickly become a problem.

Good idea. It's on a drive that's used principally for MyHD stuff, but not exclusively given over to timeshifting. I'm defraging it now.
post #3761 of 4207 Old 12-19-2005, 02:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I guess I was unclear. I meant that you would change the PC Soundcard sub option from "Dolby" to "S/PDIF" (i.e., pass the AC-3 stream via the mobo's AC'97 hw to the mobo S/PDIF) not that you should change the major option from "Soundcard" to "S/PDIF". The latter would give silence if you have no connection from the MDP S/PDIF or Toslink outputs to your receiver while the former would have the same S/PDIF path as you're now using--and shouldn't give silence!

AFAIK, I'm not using the AC'97 functionality of the mobo. I've got a Hercules Game Theater XP soundcard in a PCI slot and connect everything to the soundcard's breakout box. I'm currently using S/PDIF out from the breakout box to my receiver, coaxial. Actually, I plan on hooking up the breakout box to the receiver by analog connections, partly so I will have 5.1 audio with games and I think there are other advantages. I just haven't gotten around to it. Thanks for the help.
post #3762 of 4207 Old 12-19-2005, 02:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

AFAIK, I'm not using the AC'97 functionality of the mobo. I've got a Hercules Game Theater XP soundcard in a PCI slot and connect everything to the soundcard's breakout box. I'm currently using S/PDIF out from the breakout box to my receiver, coaxial. Actually, I plan on hooking up the breakout box to the receiver by analog connections, partly so I will have 5.1 audio with games and I think there are other advantages. I just haven't gotten around to it. Thanks for the help.

OK, but aside from my mistaken assumption that you didn't have an actual souncard the recommendation holds: using "PC Soundcard" and "S/PDIF" rather than "Dolby" or "Stereo" avoids converting the AC-3 stream before it gets to your receiver.

P.S.: I know almost nothing about PC games, but I would expect them to output 5.1 via your soundcard's S/PDIF also. Not so?
post #3763 of 4207 Old 12-20-2005, 06:57 PM

did a search for "disable audio" and got nothing, so here i go...

for some reason, every so often when my card begins a scheduled capture, i can hear the audio, but the overlay doesn't pop up. i have confirmed that i have the "disable audio during capture" selected, and like i said, it is not always.

i am using fast user switching on my xp sp2 box, and if i try to switch users during one of the captures that includes the audio (when it is not supposed to) it takes, literally, twenty minutes to get to the logon screen. if it is a normal capture without the audio playing (as intended) the fast user switching works just fine.

please don't tell me (like so many other software packages do) that fast user switching isn't supported. if that is the case, this product is not compatible of windows xp, end of story.

thanks in advance.

tickled to be here
post #3764 of 4207 Old 12-20-2005, 07:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I have no idea if "fast user switching" is supported or not, since I don't use it myself, but have you tried using the "background capture" option under detail options on the capture setup tab? That is always without audio and overlay.
post #3765 of 4207 Old 12-20-2005, 07:34 PM

Quote:

I have no idea if "fast user switching" is supported or not, since I don't use it myself, but have you tried using the "background capture" option under detail options on the capture setup tab? That is always without audio and overlay.

that box is checked as well, i meant to say.

i have added myirc to the other user startup menu, maybe that has an affect on how the capture starts, since myirc kicks it off in the first place?

tickled to be here
post #3766 of 4207 Old 12-20-2005, 08:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member

If you have "background capture" selected you don't need "disable audio during capture". I don't know for sure about MyIRC and the "other user startup", since I don't use multiple logins on my HTPC (the very idea conjures up images of trying to iron my shirt with a toaster). I expect, however, that you'd want to have MyIRC in the global startup menu if it's going to work at all.
post #3767 of 4207 Old 12-20-2005, 10:13 PM

Quote:

If you have "background capture" selected you don't need "disable audio during capture". I don't know for sure about MyIRC and the "other user startup", since I don't use multiple logins on my HTPC (the very idea conjures up images of trying to iron my shirt with a toaster). I expect, however, that you'd want to have MyIRC in the global startup menu if it's going to work at all.

I fully agree with the ironing with a toaster thing. The goal is a dual tuner solution that allows the main htpc to be used for free-range, general tv viewing when there are no scheduling conflicts, while the current primary capture box is also the general internet/e-mail/office box. a third box may just need to be put in place for absoultely nothing but capturing.

putting the irc in the global startup was no good, it tried to start as the other user, but they don't have the capture drive mapped. i will remove it from global. the problem is sporadic, but i will try to only have the "background" box checked and see how that works. i am leaving the country for three weeks in january and want the thing to go without training wheels (i.e., the wife will kill me if lost doesn't get captured while i am gone).

thanks!

tickled to be here
post #3768 of 4207 Old 12-21-2005, 11:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

OK, but aside from my mistaken assumption that you didn't have an actual souncard the recommendation holds: using "PC Soundcard" and "S/PDIF" rather than "Dolby" or "Stereo" avoids converting the AC-3 stream before it gets to your receiver.

P.S.: I know almost nothing about PC games, but I would expect them to output 5.1 via your soundcard's S/PDIF also. Not so?

OK, but to use PC Soundcard and S/PDIF I have to have an optical S/PDIF cable from the MyHD daughterboard to the souncard? I assume that because I'm getting silence with that right now and need to use Dolby Surround as the soundcard output mode to get sound.

Yes, I'm informed that I can't get 5.1 with PC games unless I use the analog outputs from my soundcard. Even more important to me is the fact that the soundcard's equalizer doesn't have any affect unless I use the analog outs, so that's my main motivation to hook them up presently, not being currently into gaming.
post #3769 of 4207 Old 12-21-2005, 11:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

OK, but to use PC Soundcard and S/PDIF I have to have an optical S/PDIF cable from the MyHD daughterboard to the souncard? I assume that because I'm getting silence with that right now and need to use Dolby Surround as the soundcard output mode to get sound.

Yes, I'm informed that I can't get 5.1 with PC games unless I use the analog outputs from my soundcard. Even more important to me is the fact that the soundcard's equalizer doesn't have any affect unless I use the analog outs, so that's my main motivation to hook them up presently, not being currently into gaming.

If you select "PC Soundcard" the audio goes over the PCI bus to the sound card. The second option determines which output is used on the sound card (typcially S/PDIF or analog). Personally, I use "PC Soundcard" and "Stereo" which (somewhat counter-intuitively) decodes the audio to all the discrete channels present in the program for my Revo's analog outputs. Choosing "Dolby" will re-mix the surround into 2 channels for old-school surround processing.

- Mike
post #3770 of 4207 Old 12-21-2005, 11:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

OK, but to use PC Soundcard and S/PDIF I have to have an optical S/PDIF cable from the MyHD daughterboard to the souncard?...

No! The MyHD "PC Soundcard" settings all output via...the PC Soundcard.

MyHD only sends output to its own audio port(s) when you select "S/PDIF" as the major option, instead of "PC Soundcard".

You may need to change some of your soundcard's settings to enable it to pass through the AC-3 stream to its S/PDIF output, but that's where MyHD is sending it when you select "PC Soundcard" with the "S/PDIF" suboption.
post #3771 of 4207 Old 12-21-2005, 05:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

No! The MyHD "PC Soundcard" settings all output via...the PC Soundcard.

MyHD only sends output to its own audio port(s) when you select "S/PDIF" as the major option, instead of "PC Soundcard".

You may need to change some of your soundcard's settings to enable it to pass through the AC-3 stream to its S/PDIF output, but that's where MyHD is sending it when you select "PC Soundcard" with the "S/PDIF" suboption.

Oh, I see. Well, so far I haven't been able to get any sound with things set up that way, only with the Dolby Surround suboption.
post #3772 of 4207 Old 12-21-2005, 06:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Oh, I see. Well, so far I haven't been able to get any sound with things set up that way, only with the Dolby Surround suboption.

Sounds as though your soundcard isn't set up to pass through AC-3 then.
post #3773 of 4207 Old 02-21-2006, 07:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Strange behavior:

I made a recording and tried to watch it today (.tp files) and there were breakups and the sound was either nonexistent or distorted terribly. Sometimes I could hear the talking but suddenly a word would be slurred and take several times as long to say as in reality. IOW, it sounded like the speakers were drugged! I was ready to give up and bulk erase the recording and instead I booted to an alternate partition, also Win2000. I already had MyHD installed there and the same .tp files played fine. What could be the problem? Thanks for any information or suggestions.
post #3774 of 4207 Old 02-21-2006, 07:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

No ideas. Does the problem return if you boot back to the original OS copy?
post #3775 of 4207 Old 02-21-2006, 08:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

No ideas. Does the problem return if you boot back to the original OS copy?

Yes, I restarted the machine to the orginal OS and it continued. That's why I was ready to give up. At the moment, I'm making a recording and in the orginal OS and the machine is very very sluggish. I mean I'm seeing the characters appear about 1-2 seconds after I type them. It's nuts. Won't surprise me if I won't be able to watch the recording except on my other Win2000 partition! There's not much else going on on the machine and 512 MB RAM. Granted, I'm over due for a reinatll of Win2000, but wasn't having these kinds of problems before today. I've got close to if not actually 100% CPU usage going on right now.
post #3776 of 4207 Old 02-21-2006, 08:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Check Device Manager to see if one or more of your HDD have reverted to PIO mode.
post #3777 of 4207 Old 02-22-2006, 08:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Check Device Manager to see if one or more of your HDD have reverted to PIO mode.

Where do I see that in Device Manager? Windows 2000 SP4 here. Thanks.

Edit: Um, I think I found it. Primary and secondary IDE channels under Advanced are set to DMA if available, not PIO only.
post #3778 of 4207 Old 02-22-2006, 08:17 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Yeah, you found it. OK, it's set to use DMA "if available". What does DM say that it's using? I've read that sometimes Win2k actually reverts to PIO and DM lies about it. There's a registry hack to force it to reset to DMA that you can find here.
post #3779 of 4207 Old 02-22-2006, 08:19 AM
AVS Special Member

It's happening again today. Thankfully, I have an alternate OS to play the .tp files in. I'm clueless at the moment. This happened to me over a year ago and I posted, probably in this thread. I'll try to find the postings. Maybe there's something there that will shed some light on this.
post #3780 of 4207 Old 02-22-2006, 08:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yeah, you found it. OK, it's set to use DMA "if available". What does DM say that it's using? I've read that sometimes Win2k actually reverts to PIO and DM lies about it. There's a registry hack to force it to reset to DMA that you can find here.

How can I find out what DM says it's using? I'm assuming that you mean Device Manager here by DM, not Disk Management.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page