UnOfficial MyHD MDP-120/DVI card thread - part 2 - Page 141 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #4201 of 4207 Old 02-13-2013, 09:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Do you still have the DVI TV so that you can confirm that that still does work OK? If so, I suspect that there actually is some problem with the daughterboard that failed to show up for some reason when driving a DVI device (although I have no idea why that should occur). Otherwise, I would first make sure that the daughterboard is firmly seated on the MDP120 and then try a couple of different DVI-HDMI cables to eliminate those as problem sources.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4202 of 4207 Old 02-14-2013, 02:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by TPeterson View Post

Do you still have the DVI TV so that you can confirm that that still does work OK? If so, I suspect that there actually is some problem with the daughterboard that failed to show up for some reason when driving a DVI device (although I have no idea why that should occur). Otherwise, I would first make sure that the daughterboard is firmly seated on the MDP120 and then try a couple of different DVI-HDMI cables to eliminate those as problem sources.

Terry,

A very long number of years ago I tried to connect an old graphics card that that has been replaced using a DVI to HDMI adapter.

I got a low resolutation picture on my HDTV pixalated with wrong colors. Using the DVI to DVI produced a great picture from the same graphics card. HDMI from both my laptops and newer graphics card all are looking great (With some sync problems).

I remember finding that the problem was that at point in XP's life that the necessary handshaking over HDMI was not in the OS and that the HDTV produced the low quality picture to indicate something was wrong with the handshaking.

Blame it all on Hollywood!

In trying to search for the right words posted by someone else I found this old post:

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/t/247803/i-see-no-image-using-hdmi-connection#post_3040312

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMI and other search results came up with many things that may be wrong.

MyHD is so old that the handshaking cannot be expected which has been said before.

The number of HDMI versions boggles the mind.

My HDTV will not boot (correct term) when a Dual channel DVI cable is used. I was about to pack up my HTPC and return from Microcenter when I spotted that the tech was using a single channel DVI cable and I had purchased a dual channel one for use with my HDTV.

SHF

post #4203 of 4207 Old 02-17-2013, 10:08 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Yes, I do still have the DVI TV. And that is a good idea to try that. There is always the potential that *something* broke in the transition to the new TV. I was hoping to get that tested this weekend, but I did not get to it and now I need to head out of town for a few days. So I won't be able to try anything else until later in the week.

I did want to make sure that I said thank you to everyone that has replied to help out. In particular you, TPeterson. I think it is great that you spend so much time and effort on these forums helping people out the way you do(almost 12,000 posts is amazing). Thank you again.
post #4204 of 4207 Old 02-23-2013, 03:21 PM

I finally found some time to work on this again. I plugged the MyHD 120 back into my old TV (with the DVI input), and that worked just fine No issues what-so-ever at any resolution. So I think we can rule out a bad daughter card. So I think we are back to some strange compatibility issue with the MyHD DVI output and the TV and/or cable... I was able to get ahold of a MyHD 130 this week, so I think I am going to try that next. I figured this would at the very least get me a better tuner smile.gif I'll let you know how that goes. How big of a step backwards would I be taking if I went the Component cable route? Is there any special cable I would need or is it just a basic VGA to component cable? This would still be at 1080i, just not quite as good of quality, right?
post #4205 of 4207 Old 02-23-2013, 07:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by clowry View Post

How big of a step backwards would I be taking if I went the Component cable route? Is there any special cable I would need or is it just a basic VGA to component cable? This would still be at 1080i, just not quite as good of quality, right?
A standard VGA-to-RCA breakout cable will do the job. Yes, the output is still up to 1080i. I doubt that you'll notice a difference in PQ unless your display is over 50 inches and you sit close enough to see individual pixels.
post #4206 of 4207 Old 02-24-2013, 11:29 AM

I got the MDP-130 installed this afternoon and plugged it in and it work just fine at the high resolutions. No issues at all. Go figure. So there either was something funky going on in my old MDP-120 DVI daughtercard or they improved something in the new MDP-130 daughtercard. In any event it looks like my problem is solved. smile.gif Thanks again for all your help and suggestions.
post #4207 of 4207 Old 11-17-2013, 07:49 AM

Liked: 11
I have several MyHD MDP-120 cards (with daughter card) and maybe 2 MyHD MDP-130 cards that I'm looking to get rid of. For the last 5 years I've been out of OTA range so they have been laying dormant. Can someone point me in a direction to sell them? Thanks.

Panasonic TC-P65VT60 (Cal by DNice)
Yamaha RX-V675
Yamaha 5.1 Surround Speakers
Yamaha LFE
PS3
XBox
Wii
Logitech Harmony 1100
Raspberry Pi running OpenELEC XBMC
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version