AVS Forum banner

UnOfficial MyHD MDP-120/DVI card thread - part 2

362K views 4K replies 340 participants last post by  Gary in NY 
#1 ·
Due to the fact that a couple of people have emailed me requesting that I reopen the old thread, I have decided to open a new thread for people to discuss the card.

Before posting any questions here, I ask that you read the first thread in its entirety so that the same questions are not posted again and again. Please understand that it is your responsibility to research your questions, and that people are willing to help you out as long as you do your homework first.

The first thread is located here:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=264533

Also, just in case there are still people that do not understand, Cliff Watson is here in this forum of HIS OWN ACCORD, and does not represent ANY COMPANY, including MIT or Digital Connection, regardless of appearances and suppositions. I did not ask Cliff for his permission to open this thread, so he is in no way obligated to answer any questions, or for that matter, to even make an appearance. I have opened this thread so that people can further discuss among themselves issues and questions regarding the MDT-120. If Cliff chooses to participate, then so much the better for all of us, but please refrain from making expectations.

With that said, then go ahead and reopen the discussion, and most of all, have fun!

See less See more
#402 ·

Quote:
Originally posted by Cliff Watson
Yes, I've seen it and MIT is working on the problem. The number of application crashes was reduced for me by installing the .16 beta driver AND I have not seen a single crash after installing Cat version 4.2 drivers for my ATI Radeon 9000 card.

Hi Cliff,

I noticed that MIT has put the .16 driver in the /pub/MyHD/v1.62.2/ directory. Is the v1.62.2 application with the .16 driver now an official release from MIT?

Thanks,

Dave

#409 ·
Cliff,

What does "MyHD_Eng" signify to you? When I tune to one of our local stations, an error window pops up every 5 seconds with that designation in the upper left corner and "The field is too small to accept the amount of data you attempted to add. Try inserting or pasting less data." in the center. This doesn't happen with any other channel and didn't happen on this channel till tonight.

I suspect that they have done something with their PSIP tables to cause this. What do you think?

akula

#413 ·
I installed the .16 beta driver and will let the app run overnight to see how stable it is. One thing I noticed is that 84% of my 2.4 AMD proc is consumed whereas MYHD was only using 50% on the previous version.

Looking at Task Manager I see a System process being started when MYHD starts and that System process uses 30% or so. That process is the difference.

So where is the h-ll did that come come and what is it. If it said anything other than System I might be able to track it down.

Allen In So Cal

#414 ·
Cliff--

Pressing the record button while viewing KQED just now with the recurring error message popup happening causes the error messages to cease until the recording is stopped. (Playback of the recorded file is normal)

I think the station has gotten "creative" again this evening (or maybe their PSIP generator is just busted?).

#416 ·
Allen, something sure sounds funny with your setup. I know there are plenty of variables to consider, but just for comparison, I'm running an XP 2100+ and see less then 20% CPU usage total while watching any source from the MyHD card. I'm not currently at home and I don't recall what version of the drivers I'm using, but I know it's not the latest beta.

--Eric

#417 ·
Cliff,

I get the same result as Terry.

akula

Quote:
Originally posted by TPeterson
Cliff--

Pressing the record button while viewing KQED just now with the recurring error message popup happening causes the error messages to cease until the recording is stopped. (Playback of the recorded file is normal)

I think the station has gotten "creative" again this evening (or maybe their PSIP generator is just busted?).

#418 ·

Quote:
Originally posted by akula
Cliff,

I get the same result as Terry.

akula

But not this a.m., right? It's back to normal for me.

BTW, this is the first time in a while that I've looked at the HD OSD guide tables. Wow! There are still a lot of blanks from stations that aren't sending any EPG info, but it's clear from a few examples such as KCSM, which is sending not only program times and titles but also synopses, that the PSIP EPG could be a very useful method to set up recordings. One station (KGO) is even sending info about its analog stream--the question is, why???

#419 ·
Terry,

I agree, things are back to normal now, even though they weren't an hour ago.

Right now KQED Encore has a pretty complete guide table, but their other subchannels don't yet.

I also remember that KTVU had a pretty complete one during prime time.

All this makes it pretty convenient to select programs to view and record. It sure beats surfing to find out what's playing.

akula

Quote:
Originally posted by TPeterson
But not this a.m., right? It's back to normal for me.

BTW, this is the first time in a while that I've looked at the HD OSD guide tables. Wow! There are still a lot of blanks from stations that aren't sending any EPG info, but it's clear from a few examples such as KCSM, which is sending not only program times and titles but also synopses, that the PSIP EPG could be a very useful method to set up recordings. One station (KGO) is even sending info about its analog stream--the question is, why???

#420 ·
It ran all night so the .16 beta driver seems to have solved the problem. I also installed the latest ATI drivers for my 9600 AIW just in case.

But this was crazy. I was complaining about the latest driver using more proc time. After making sure it was still running this morning I pressed the record button. MYHD proc time went DOWN to about 10% and that System process also went down to about to about 20% of the proc.

Sometimes I think I know what I'm doin' with computers and then things like this come along. At least it looks like its reliable again.

Does anybody know if MIT will ever release a version of the software where we can do the timeshift thingy?

Allen In So Cal

#421 ·
Allen,

How old is your card? At some point MIT had to switch from Samsung SDRAM to Hynic SDRAM because Samsung stopped making the memory chips. The new memory chips had the same timing specs as the Samsung chips and that turned out not to be correct. MIT made timing corrections in the .16 driver to stop crashes with the new chips.

"Does anybody know if MIT will ever release a version of the software where we can do the timeshift thingy?"

If it is possible I'm sure they will.

#424 ·
I just received my HD120. If I want to run my desktop as well as hd from my tv, I'll need the bybass cable setup? Can someone outline the pro's and con's of running the desktop? Is it possible to do all the recording, scheduling, and watching, just from the remote, or will the desktop be needed for viable functionality?

TIA,

Dan

#425 ·
I do not run the desktop on the TV. I do all my scheduling from the PC and then do all the playing from the TV using the remote which is attached to a room hopper. I'm pretty sure you can record using the remote along with many other functions. I'm a pretty simple user compared to others as you may quicky see.

But is way cool to have the forward skip set to 175 seconds and watch commercials disappear.

Allen In So Cal

#426 ·
Thanks Allen,

I have a stb to watch one show while recording, so don't believe I would be looking for a playback alternative outside of MyHd prog. So generally, unless I wanted to run programs outside the MyHd set, I shouldn't need the desktop functionality. My thinking is if I don't need the desktop, I wouldn't need a transcoder, just run component to TV and digital cable to receiver and good to go. I'm looking forward to trying many of this cards capabilities.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.