post #541 of 4207 Old 03-18-2004, 11:26 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

Originally posted by Cliff Watson
Thanks, I had an idea that it was caused by using non-standard DVD rips.

I'm not sure what would be non-standard about the DVD rips. It's just a copy of all of the files on the DVD with the encryption removed. It's basically the same thing that other DVD playback software does, except that the decrypted files are stored as an intermediate step. That gives the user more flexibility for opening any of the various IFO files that are stored on a DVD, but that flexibility comes with the risk that using those files can be used in a way other than normal DVD playback behavior.

I suppose MyHD could be modified so that it forces the user to open the IFO file that would give the correct behavior. For example, NVDVD 2.55 lets the user choose the playback directory, and the correct IFO file is chosen automatically. MyHD could also work this way, but it is not that big of a deal.

Brian

Hook 'em Horns! 2005 National Champions!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 4207 Old 03-18-2004, 12:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

It's just a copy of all of the files on the DVD with the encryption removed.

It is true if that is the way you have the rip setup. Depending on the software used to rip you can select the type files to be ripped, even just the IFO/VOB files for one title. If you rip a single title the VIDEO_TS.IFO will not be included.

MIT didn't intend to support ripped DVDs to HDD. The intent was to play DVD from the DVD-ROM drive and also support VOB file play mode from a HDD. Because IFO is now a supported file extension it is a gray area when selecting IFO from a HDD.
post #543 of 4207 Old 03-18-2004, 02:00 PM

Hi all,

I played with the new beta last night, and it appears most of my problems are solved. No more conflicts with DrDivX, great DVD playback BUT

1) sometimes on the DVDs, I get a flickering green line at the bottom of the picture. I can't figure out what determines whether it's there or not. Tried reinstalling, it did not help. Then tried opening vob files on my hard drive of the same DVDs I was watching, and it worked out beautifully. When I swicthed back to DVD input (same movie) the line was also gone. I hope it does not come back.

2) Recording analog or digital video in Divx or other compression format is now even worse: it records in slow motion. It does not drop frames though. Still no sound. And as it records, the sound I hear in real time also switches to a lower clock speed (lower pitch).

3) f I select YPbPr output for the card and YPbPr input on my epson projector (S1), I get a beautiful picture and I can take advantage of the squeeze mode of the projector, but I see faint vertical banding (lighter/darker alternative bands, about 1-2 inches wide, no motion). If I use the RGB output directly, it does not do that, but I can't use the squeeze mode (my understanding is that it's better to send all the information you can to the projector, and let it do the anamorphic pull). The projector takes component input through its VGA connector, so if the pin layout for YPbPr output of the MyHD card and the input on the projector is th same within the 15 pins, it should work, should it not?

By the way, I have a sony PCV-RX590G that i modified a bit. I bypassed the original install, and I now have XP pro, with just the HTPC software I need, plus the software that drives the Gigapocket MPEG encoder/decoder PCI board. P4 1.8GHz on 478 socket, MOBO asus P4T-LE (somewhere between P4B-LX and P4T-M) with 1 GB of RAM. Sound card is Terratec aureon space. Graphics is Radeon 9600SE. And the MyHD120 of course.

Lately I have been fiddling with the integrated Yamaha YMF-743 on the MOBO, and so when I use the aureon, I simply disable it in the hardware control in windows, not in the BIOS. Could that make a difference? Also, the aureon sound card is in the 3rd PCI slot which apprently shares IRQ. On my machine it shares with one of the USB connectors, which I disabled just in case.

So, should I stick with Gigapocket for analog recording? It's too proprietary for my taste (it can export to MPEG2 files, but only velow 1 hour recordings I think, and It can't deal with DTV of course) What about DivX recording of digital TV, without going through a tp stream first? As I said the video used to work beautifully, and there must be a way to implement recording of a stereo mix of the dolby digital feed at the same time.

am I doing something wrong? Could there be conflicts between all the clocks in this machine (MOBO sound, Aureon, Radeon...)?

thanks for your input

Julien
post #544 of 4207 Old 03-18-2004, 02:01 PM
Advanced Member

Here's a minor cosmetic bug that shouldn't be difficult to correct: in the PSIP program guide, any shows in the grid that have an ampersand in the title (like "Dharma & Greg") will show an underscore instead of the ampersand ("Dharma _Greg"). It's familiar behavior to Windows programmers: there's a UseMnemonic property somewhere in the code that should be set to false.
post #545 of 4207 Old 03-18-2004, 02:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Wayne,

Thanks, I'll pass that on to MIT. At one time it was actually fixed and I don't know why it returned.
post #546 of 4207 Old 03-18-2004, 04:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

It is true if that is the way you have the rip setup. Depending on the software used to rip you can select the type files to be ripped, even just the IFO/VOB files for one title. If you rip a single title the VIDEO_TS.IFO will not be included.

MIT didn't intend to support ripped DVDs to HDD. The intent was to play DVD from the DVD-ROM drive and also support VOB file play mode from a HDD. Because IFO is now a supported file extension it is a gray area when selecting IFO from a HDD.

I replicated the same problem by adding VTS_04_0.VOB to the File Play List, switching to File mode and then selecting the VOB as the active file. It switched to the next VOB file until it got to the end of VTS_04_7.VOB. At that point, MyHD went into the busy mode instead of advancing to the next file. This is with The Simpsons: The Complete Second Season, Disc 1, if it matters.

BTW, I observed that opening the VOB file causes the name of the current file to be displayed in the MyHD Control Panel window. Opening the IFO file actually switches MyHD to DVD mode, and the MyHD Control Panel displays the title number and chapter number.

Brian

post #547 of 4207 Old 03-18-2004, 05:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Brian,

Was there a VTS_04_8.VOB file?
post #548 of 4207 Old 03-18-2004, 06:12 PM
Advanced Member

Yes the file exists, and VTS_04_8.VOB is the smallest one at 361,568 KB. The other files 0 thru 7 are each 1,048,544 KB. Maybe the file size or the fact that it is the last file is significant. Yesterday's test got stuck at the end of title 5 and there appear to be 6 titles associated with the VTS_04_0.IFO file. The other detail I should mention is that I used the progress bar on the MyHD Control Panel window to advance each file or chapter to a point near the end. That way, I didn't have to play the entire title to run the tests.

Brian

post #549 of 4207 Old 03-18-2004, 07:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

OK, you guys made me rip Nemo for testing.

I selected the 7th VOB file from the end to play in file mode and when it played through the last VOB, of about 8KB, playback restarted on the first VOB file I selected.

I have single file loop mode selected for MyHD. What mode do you guys have selected?
post #550 of 4207 Old 03-18-2004, 08:32 PM
Advanced Member

Under Loop Option, the Loop option is unchecked and the All of List radio button is selected. I also have the "Play the next-numbered file continuously" option checked.

I have been able to get the program get stuck switching between the VOB files numbered 4 and 5 and the ones numbered 5 and 6, so apparently it is not just the last file. I think what might be triggering it on my end is the fact that as soon as the end of one file is reached and the next one starts playing, I advance playback to almost the end of the VOB file using the progress bar. Sometimes after doing this, MyHD is able to switch to the next file (the second file transition) and start playing a few seconds from that one before freezing.

The other thing I just noticed is that I am now getting "No Signal" on all of my channels from within MyHD. I don't think my antenna fell off the roof, and I still have reception on an analog tuner. Restarting MyHD does not help with that issue, so I'll try rebooting.

Edit: Rebooting did fix my OTA reception issue.

Brian

post #551 of 4207 Old 03-18-2004, 08:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by TPeterson
On 1, sounds like a bum remote control. I'd check with the vendor (DC?) about an RMA.

Well, I've tried everything with the damned remote and it just don't work right...

I've even tried the learn options with the MyHD remote. It takes the power button, then I get errors on all the others saying either that the value is already assigned or just plain 'ol learn failure.

Guess I'll see if DC will replace or try to figure out how to contact MIT for another.....
post #552 of 4207 Old 03-18-2004, 09:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Originally posted by hdtvincr
Well, I've tried everything with the damned remote and it just don't work right...

I've even tried the learn options with the MyHD remote. It takes the power button, then I get errors on all the others saying either that the value is already assigned or just plain 'ol learn failure.

Guess I'll see if DC will replace or try to figure out how to contact MIT for another.....

This is not the first time a remote has failed and DC has replacements on hand.

Have you tried to learn from a different remote? That would determine if the problem is with the remote or with the receiver.
post #553 of 4207 Old 03-18-2004, 09:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Have you tried to learn from a different remote? That would determine if the problem is with the remote or with the receiver.

Yes. It seemed to learn some of the keys OK, and others it would not see at all. So I gave up that option, didn't want half of a remote....

The MyIRC icon flashes green with the remote so it seems to be sending signals, just looks like the same signal from every button....
post #554 of 4207 Old 03-18-2004, 09:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Yes. It seemed to learn some of the keys OK, and others it would not see at all. So I gave up that option, didn't want half of a remote....

The MyIRC icon flashes green with the remote so it seems to be sending signals, just looks like the same signal from every button....

DC will RMA the remote and receiver for you. Call Steve in the morning.
post #555 of 4207 Old 03-18-2004, 10:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

I'd try to get DC to replace the remote.

But..

You may consider a Universal remote too such as the One For All URC-8811 (or URC-8810w exclusively at Wal-Mart for $19 - best darn deal) as well as a JP-1 cable. Join the JP1 Yahoo Group and download the software to load the MyHD template controls (attached) onto the One For All remote. This particular remote is good because thanks to the JP1 stuff on that Yahoo group you can pretty much force the remote to control what you want it to. I have nearly all 8 components in my home theater (including the MyHD) controlled by this one remote.

myhd_jp1_remote_template.zip 1.423828125k . file
post #556 of 4207 Old 03-19-2004, 05:34 PM

Quote:

[b]The current beta test software includes a new audio decoder that does support Mpeg1 & 2 audio along with decoding 5.1 channel AC-3 and AAC audio.

Cool.. I finally got playback of HD transport streams and mpeg-2 working using the latest 1.62.3.16 drivers. It plays back its own HD recordings just fine.

It doesn't play back mpeg-2 files very well at all. The video playback is unwatchably jerky.
post #557 of 4207 Old 03-19-2004, 06:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member

"It doesn't play back mpeg-2 files very well at all. The video playback is unwatchably jerky."

I wonder why? My test of industry standard SVCD, MPEG2, and DVD recordings played perfectly.
post #558 of 4207 Old 03-19-2004, 07:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Cliff,
I think I found a new bug. While skipping a commercial (hit a hotkey that does a 3 minute skip) the MyHD app froze till I hit a hotkey that skips to the next file. It seems that if you send a command that fast forwards for a "X" amount of time and by coincedence it changes to the next file during that amount of time that it does not automatically load the next file. Not sure if it was mentioned before, it did it a while back and did not realize that it was suppose to load the next file but today I noticed the problem.

Jim

PS: using the latest beta app and driver.

Support C-band, the only true satellite signal, More information HERE
post #559 of 4207 Old 03-19-2004, 07:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by TPeterson
On 1, sounds like a bum remote control. I'd check with the vendor (DC?) about an RMA.

On 2 I suggest: Uninstall MyHD; reinstall DX8 or 9; then reinstall MyHD software.

OK Uninstalled all MyHD software and drivers... Reinstalled DirectX 9.0b... Reinstalled MyHD drivers then app. Still same problem... Occasionally lose all OSD display info and then no picture, or signal (not even on the control panel face). This applies to file play also of course. Soft reset... Same thing. Cold boot reset, seemed to fix it this time.

Steve at MIT was very kind and has sent me a new remote. I am beginning to wonder if it isn't something else funky with my system. I got a few critical keys defined from an extra remote and that seemed to go okay. When I tried to use them, again all it seemed to want to do was rewind....

I am lost... i guess on my days off I will try a total fresh clean reload of XP and try again. I can't imagine it being hardware related, but here is what I'm using:

AMD Athlon 2100+
768MB RAM
ATI All-in-Wonder Rage 128 Pro (I've tried the newer Radeon 9600 also)
MSI Motherboard (Via chipset i believe)

This is my system that I replaced that I just wanted to use as a PVR....

Any other thoughts from anyone???
post #560 of 4207 Old 03-19-2004, 08:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

"I think I found a new bug."

No way! There are no new bugs....maybe some old bugs, but no new ones.

I just checked this on a CSI recording with 9 files and all skipped to the next file and on the last file it started over on the first file.
post #561 of 4207 Old 03-19-2004, 09:02 PM

Quote:

"It doesn't play back mpeg-2 files very well at all. The video playback is unwatchably jerky."

I wonder why? My test of industry standard SVCD, MPEG2, and DVD recordings played perfectly.

What version of the drivers are you using?
post #562 of 4207 Old 03-19-2004, 09:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Paul Forgey
What version of the drivers are you using?

I now may know why.

I forgot that I'm testing version .17 driver and version 1.4 of the audio decoder filter (not yet released for public testing).
post #563 of 4207 Old 03-19-2004, 09:45 PM

Quote:

I now may know why.

I forgot that I'm testing version .17 driver and version 1.4 of the audio decoder filter (not yet released for public testing).

That actually sounds like good news then. I'll anxiously watch the ftp site.
post #564 of 4207 Old 03-21-2004, 04:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Are any of these new versions capable of running "Avia" all the way through yet?

NEW ORLEANS SAINTS - SUPER BOWL XLIV CHAMPIONS
post #565 of 4207 Old 03-21-2004, 06:28 PM

I am trying to control MyHD though my Mainlobby interface via the sendkeys/sendcharacters commands built-in to mlserver. I have successfully tested all of the commands but for some reason I can't get the pause/play and stop commands to work. These commands all use the space bar. They of course work fine from the MYHD PC but not from the remote Mainlobby PC. I did try all of the related target windows (verified in girder) but still no go. Does anybody have any suggestions or work arounds for me? I guess I could try girder to see if it will work. It sure would be nice if these commands could be moved to single keys like s for stop and p for pause. Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Brad
post #566 of 4207 Old 03-21-2004, 06:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

Originally posted by bchamber
I am trying to control MyHD though my Mainlobby interface via the sendkeys/sendcharacters commands built-in to mlserver. I have successfully tested all of the commands but for some reason I can't get the pause/play and stop commands to work. These commands all use the space bar. They of course work fine from the MYHD PC but not from the remote Mainlobby PC. I did try all of the related target windows (verified in girder) but still no go. Does anybody have any suggestions or work arounds for me? I guess I could try girder to see if it will work. It sure would be nice if these commands could be moved to single keys like s for stop and p for pause. Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Brad

I went through the exact same struggle last weekend. Finally got it. You need to use { } for the space bar. Here is the command that is working for me:
MLServeCmd.MLWindowFunctions|Remote Controller~SENDKEYS~{ }

It's good to know someone else is working on this. If you get it working problem free, I would like to look at your Girder file (and would share mine as well.) I still have a few timing issues to work out. I am using on monitor and the HD button to switch between full screen HD mode and DVDLobby mode, and have been working on automating this in Girder. I found the ESC key will exit MyHD full screen mode (and HD button take you back) so this is a work around for the HD button toggle. I exit full screen mode with an ESC (so I have a known starting point) and then go back to full screen with every play command. This way I do not get to the desktop accidentally when I want to see the movie. I wish MyHD would just shift to full screen mode when you start playing a file, and this would dave a step.

I also want one set of up/down/left/right/enter IR commands from my learning remote to work for both MyHD and MainLobby/DVDLobby, so this has been a learning process. What I am working on now is a way to have MainLobby change the Windows focus to MyHD when the play movie command is issued (and back to DVD Lobby when I hit a "guide" or stop button on my remote, so this way Girder can send the direction keys to whatever window is in the Windows foreground (in focus.) This way I can use the same direction keys on the remote to navigate my cover art and choose the movie in DVDLobby, then send the DVD menu commands to the new MyHD beta app when the DVD file has menus. It is working okay, but I have to work out the Girder timing and macros since some commands or focus shifts are sometimes missed. Here is a sample of my latest DVDLobby play command:
MLServeCmd.Macro|MLRedirect|htpc::5004::MLServeCmd.MLWindowF unctions|Remote Controller~SENDKEYS~^{ }!MLPause|1!MLRedirect|htpc::5004::MLServeCmd.MLWindowFuncti ons|Remote Controller~SENDKEYS~{ESC}!MLPause|4!MLRedirect|htpc::5004::M LServeCmd.MLFileOpen|<<FILE>>!MLPause|2!MLRedirect|htpc::5004::MLServeCmd.MLWindowFunctio ns|Remote Controller~SENDKEYS~^h!MLPause|2!MLRedirect|htpc::5004::MLSe rveCmd.MLWindowFunctions|Remote Controller~FOREGROUND~
(what this does is redirect to my HTPC, send a stop command to MyHD, then go out of full screen mode so I have a know state, then open file (VOB and IFO associated with MyHD in Windows), then go back into full screen mode, then set the Windows focus to MyHD, so my arrow keys in Girder will now switch from working DVDLobby to working MyHD DVD menus. )

What do you use for IR with Girder (I am using USB-UIRT) and for a remote?
Maybe we should take this to a PM if no one else in this thread is interested in using DVDLobby with MyHD. I do not want to hijack the thread. Just good to know someone else out there is doing this. Good luck, and let me know if you have any info or need any info.
post #567 of 4207 Old 03-21-2004, 07:01 PM

The longer I use this card the less patience I have for the truely crappy software it uses.

New problem: everything worked fine yesterday, but now the control panel refuses to show up. I know it can be hidden and restored, and I tried toggling it to perhaps get it to repaint, but it can no longer get it to show up.

I'm running 1.63.3.16 drivers + 1.62.3.2 application. I can't use the released version because it won't play back my recordings (not that I can see any quality difference between the release and beta drivers anyway).
post #568 of 4207 Old 03-21-2004, 07:10 PM

mikemav,

Thanks for the suggestions! That did it. I am very interested in your efforts to use MYHD with DVDLobby. I'll touch bases with you once I get my basic screens completed. As for I/R, I am using Homeseer along with Homevision.

Take care,
Brad
post #569 of 4207 Old 03-21-2004, 07:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:

The longer I use this card the less patience I have for the truely crappy software it uses.

New problem: everything worked fine yesterday, but now the control panel refuses to show up. I know it can be hidden and restored, and I tried toggling it to perhaps get it to repaint, but it can no longer get it to show up.

I'm running 1.63.3.16 drivers + 1.62.3.2 application. I can't use the released version because it won't play back my recordings (not that I can see any quality difference between the release and beta drivers anyway).

Paul, maybe you should just return the card. Patience is definitely not optional with HDTV on HTPC these days. Those who've tried the other options generally say that MyHD's software is at the top of the class so far. Sorry that it seems not to be your cup of tea.

P.S.: There is a context menu available by right-clicking MyHD's screen overlay window. IIRC, there's an option in that to turn on/off display of the control panel.
post #570 of 4207 Old 03-21-2004, 08:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

New problem: everything worked fine yesterday, but now the control panel refuses to show up.

This is just a shot in the dark.

If I move the control panel all the way to the right when in a high resolution (e.g. 1980x1080) and then switch to a lower resolution, the control panel will not be visible on the desktop. Perhaps if you switch to the highest resolution you will find it.

-Dave
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page