UnOfficial MyHD MDP-120/DVI card thread - part 2 - Page 25 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #721 of 4207 Old 04-30-2004, 05:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

Originally posted by DPlettner
Cliff,

This new release is really great. I have not had a single crash and everything is working fine. Thanks for making it happen.

Do you know if there is a way to get to the Open File dialog using only the mouse. I can get to the Play File List, put the Open File dialog is a little more convenient.

-Dave

Dave,

Click the mouse on the far left button on the MyHD Control Panel. The one that is pointed on the top.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 4207 Old 04-30-2004, 06:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

Originally posted by mikemav
Cliff, I hate to bump my own question, but I am still constantly seeing this problem. I know it is not a flaw in the beta app, but rather some sequence that I am doing by what I describe above that is probably causing it. I really want to fix it. Do you know what kind of error or action would cause this specific message to pop-up? A pic is attached.
Background- I have some girder macros for running my home theater, as well as some commands from DVD Lobby. Sometimes one or both point to MyHD, as I have made it my primary DVD player. Sometimes when I go to play a file the day after I have been using it, I will see the error MyHD_eng error, "MyHD is still running, please turn MyHD off first (picture attached.) Although I am not sure, I bet this could make the application non-responsive to my remote or girder commands (I will try to verify this.) Since I watch in full screen mode, I often do not see the message is there unless I VNC into my HTPC desktop to look at the software controller for MyHD.

I am using the new released app and driver. I have an Asus P4G8X-Deluxe mobo w/ P4 2.4, no hyperthreading.
I am wondering what kinds of actions could cause this. One I suspect is that the DVD file is still playing when I turn off my monitor and audio receiver, then the next day I send it a girder macro that sends the following commands:
set audio WAVE SPDIF
set output 1024x768
set output RGB
send ESCAPE (HD mode off)

I wonder if sending any of those commands when MYHD is in a certain state could cause this pop-up? One thing I want to try is getting my IR remote to send a STOP command to myHD when the system is turned off via remote. I think now the file will just keep playing. The Girder macro I detail above normally works fine (as to the individual commands within it) I have tested it thoroughly, but still, when I go to the desktop sometimes, there is this error pop-up, and the last command DVD Lobby sent is to run this girder macro. Any ideas?.

Cliff, you had mentioned in the beta thread in response to this that you would check w/ MIT when you got a chance. Now that the beta is released, do you think you can check w/ them sometime? I am still getting the error even with the official new release.
Quote:

Originally posted by Cliff Watson
Mike,

I don't use girder so can't really answer questions. When I have some time I'll ask MIT what causes the pop-up.

Also, did you ever get a chance to scope the video settings on the new app? You said you thought the ideal settings may have changed since they changed the way the scale works.

BTW, I really appreciate all the time and effort you put into this forum. Thanks
post #723 of 4207 Old 04-30-2004, 06:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:

Dave,

Click the mouse on the far left button on the MyHD Control Panel. The one that is pointed on the top.

Boy, now I feel stupid. It was staring me in the face all this time. I guess I figured that button was for ejecting a DVD.

I also clicked on the CP signal strength meter and it switched from a graphical representation to a numerical representation. I did not know that was there either.

Thanks,
Dave
post #724 of 4207 Old 04-30-2004, 06:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mike,

I gave them a week off with no bug reports from me. I'll start sending bug reports soon, maybe after I get a little rest. Got some new audio components that should arrive soon and that will take time to rerack my audio system.
post #725 of 4207 Old 04-30-2004, 06:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Originally posted by DPlettner
Boy, now I feel stupid. It was staring me in the face all this time. I guess I figured that button was for ejecting a DVD.

I also clicked on the CP signal strength meter and it switched from a graphical representation to a numerical representation. I did not know that was there either.

Thanks,
Dave

Dave,

That's all covered in the user manual.
post #726 of 4207 Old 05-01-2004, 09:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I gave them a week off with no bug reports from me. I'll start sending bug reports soon, maybe after I get a little rest. Got some new audio components that should arrive soon and that will take time to rerack my audio system. [/b]

Hi Cliff!
This is Mauro in Walnut Creek, CA. Hope all is well with you and,if I may, would like to ask you about DVD playback with Version 1.63. As soon as I click on the PLAY button, I get this message:
"Key exchange for DVD copy protection failed.
Can't playback this DVD-Video disc."

Forgive me if it has been discussed before, but I should now be called MF73 and sometimes cannot find posts very easily on a long thread. Thanks for any help you can give me.

Mauro
post #727 of 4207 Old 05-01-2004, 09:38 AM
tji
AVS Special Member

That's the DVD CSS copy protection. If you want to play protected DVD's, you need to use an inline decrypter, like AnyDVD, or rip the DVD's using something like dvddecrypter.

This goes back to the licensing issue, where they would not let MIT output upscaled DVD's via the HD output. So, MIT cannot include the CSS code in the product.
post #728 of 4207 Old 05-01-2004, 10:05 AM

Maybe the error message for playing a copy protected DVD should be something more obvious to the people who haven't read this board. It sounds like there was an error trying to obtain the key, not that it can't play copy protected DVDs.
post #729 of 4207 Old 05-01-2004, 10:21 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Originally posted by rbonzer
Maybe the error message for playing a copy protected DVD should be something more obvious to the people who haven't read this board. It sounds like there was an error trying to obtain the key, not that it can't play copy protected DVDs.

That is a Windows warning dialog. A Windows API acts as a go between the DVD-ROM drive and player.

The fact that MyHD does not (openly) support copy protected DVD is clearly expressed in the User Manual and the release notes.
post #730 of 4207 Old 05-01-2004, 10:24 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Hey Mauro,

Good to hear from you again. I'm doing well and it sounds like you are too.
post #731 of 4207 Old 05-01-2004, 10:33 AM
Advanced Member

Thanks, tji and rbonzer, for your kind help. And thanyou, Cliff, for the explanation of why we get a message that doesn't say what it means. By that I mean: IF THE MESSAGE DOESN'T MAKE SENSE, THEN IT IS FROM MICROSOFT". I am also doing well and enjoying my 2 MyHD cards, plus the Fusion, and in a couple of weeks I hope to be enjooying the DrivecTV HD Tivo so that I can time shift DirecTV programs.

Mauro
post #732 of 4207 Old 05-01-2004, 01:25 PM

Does anybody know the answer to the question in post #718?
post #733 of 4207 Old 05-01-2004, 01:33 PM

Cliff,

Thank you very much for the new relaese. You've putting so much effort into it, so the rest of us can enjoy it.
The dvd player plays very smoothly -- stop, pause, play again and all that, where as my Theatertech still has the jigging problem.

I used the Video Essentials did some comparison checking on its resolution. I found out that both PowerDVD and TheaterTech can go 500 lines and beyond, but this DVD Player goes up to about 450 lines. The DVD operation has improved tremendously for this new release. The reason that I pointed my findings here is just to let you know, hoping that this will become one issue that you'd like to include in your next beta release.
Thanks again for the awe some release!

Jim

To a dog, everyday is a Saturday.
post #734 of 4207 Old 05-01-2004, 01:40 PM

To all,

About a month back, those same symptoms showed up on a PBS station here. I captured a minute of the transport stream and have been analyzing it with hopes of finding a cause for the behavior. I may have found it: a character that shouldn't be there (namely 0x04 a.k.a. ^D a.k.a. EOT) in a PSIP program description.

It only went on for a couple of days here, so this is not a high priority for me, but I thought this might be of interest to others. If bad characters are indeed the cause of the problem, it's the sort of thing that either MyHD could be made to ignore, or the station could be persuaded to not send in the first place.

akula

Quote:

Originally posted by bl123
With the 1.63 version of software/driver I manually added channels to work around the virtual channel detection bug. In the Boston area channel D44-1 thru D44-4 (WGBX) tuned properly but a dialog box came up every time I selected one of those channels. It said "The field is too small to accept the amount of data you attempted to add". Try inserting or pasting less data".

Clicking "Ok" cleared the box momentarily, but it reappeared immediately. Couldn't get out of it except by killing MyHD with Ctrl-Alt-Del / End Task. The problem happened every time I selected one of those channels.

It disappeared this morning so I assume the problem was with the broadcast. The only thing I would recommend is that MyHD ignore whatever caused the error after it happens the first time, since everything seemed to be working fine.

I'd put this one in the minor clean-up category unless it re-appears on a major channel (I don't watch WGBX).

Bill

post #735 of 4207 Old 05-01-2004, 01:59 PM
tji
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It may be a problem for Win2k. Just checked several DVDs using WinXP and they were displayed.

Thanks for checking this, Cliff. I had removed AnyDVD when first diagnosing this, so I was only checking 'rips'. Based on your response, I reinstalled AnyDVD, and found that I could again get subtitles.

I tried the same movie from the DVD and from the hard drive, and found that the ripped versions will not show subtitles. I used a software DVD player to verify that the subtitle data is still in the DVD rips. In older versions of the MyHD software, I had watched DVD rips with subtitles, so I think this must have changed in the last 6-8 months.
post #736 of 4207 Old 05-01-2004, 02:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Originally posted by tji
Thanks for checking this, Cliff. I had removed AnyDVD when first diagnosing this, so I was only checking 'rips'. Based on your response, I reinstalled AnyDVD, and found that I could again get subtitles.

I tried the same movie from the DVD and from the hard drive, and found that the ripped versions will not show subtitles. I used a software DVD player to verify that the subtitle data is still in the DVD rips. In older versions of the MyHD software, I had watched DVD rips with subtitles, so I think this must have changed in the last 6-8 months.

tji,

I also played 3 ripped DVDs with full subtitle support.
post #737 of 4207 Old 05-01-2004, 02:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Akula,

I think it's time that broadcasters take responsibility for their own errors instead of receiver manufacturers correcting the screw-ups. I don't know why viewers put up with this crap.

I talk to the station engineers so often that they have my number on speed dial and often call me to see if a change at the station is working properly. It may help that I have 8 receivers on full time and can give them quick feed back.
post #738 of 4207 Old 05-01-2004, 03:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Originally posted by caliendo
Sorry, I accidentally created another thread with this question, but really wanted to post it here...

Which DVI level does the MDP-120 DVI daughtercard output? This is something I've been reading about in another thread. Apparently, there are two levels:

Extended or full (0-255)...used by computers
Limited (16-235)...typically used by STBs

This is referred to as Video Quantization Range (VQR).

I believe what you're calling limited is called Studio Video.

DVI IS a computer standard using the full scale range and studio video over DVI is a much later implimentation. I've heard of displays limiting the DVI input to studio levels and in my opinion is a dumb move and limits what products that can be used.
post #739 of 4207 Old 05-01-2004, 07:08 PM

Quote:

Jeff,

There is no real difference between playing a file from the FPL or double clicking on a file name.

I use the Open File dialog all the time to time shift recordings from another MyHD card.

Generally a blank screen and no audio indicates that the driver has been corrupted and will require a reboot to re-initialize the driver. The difference is when the driver is corrupted there will be no A/V decoding from any input including live TV, but the application goes thru the motions.

Could it be a Windows thing? I've done a full reinstall/registry clean/reboot - it still happens. Occasionally it does operate properly, but after selecting additional files to play, it happens again. I don't understand why it consistently works when using the FPL, but not from the Open dialog. - BTW , thanks for the help on this.

Jeff
post #740 of 4207 Old 05-01-2004, 07:13 PM

I'm on good terms with the technical director of the station in question. I sent him a detailed description of my findings and how they can fix the problem.

They don't have my number on speed dial yet.

akula

Quote:

Akula,

I think it's time that broadcasters take responsibility for their own errors instead of receiver manufacturers correcting the screw-ups. I don't know why viewers put up with this crap.

I talk to the station engineers so often that they have my number on speed dial and often call me to see if a change at the station is working properly. It may help that I have 8 receivers on full time and can give them quick feed back.

post #741 of 4207 Old 05-03-2004, 07:51 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by akula
Bill,

Did you try using the MyHD remote to change channels in order to get unstuck?

akula

no, sorry for not acknowledging the good tip. I took the easy way out since I didn't care about that channel and was in a hurry to set up a recording - never got back to it. I'll give it a try if I experience the issue again - thanks.

Hopefully things will start to stabilize as the broadcast stations work out their bugs. Of course I'd prefer that the MyHD driver/software try to report an error once but then ignore errors like these as much as possible rather than getting into "stuck" states. But I also understand that the technology is new, MIT's priority (as it should be) is on the problems that are their fault, and we'll have to accept working around issues like these for a while.

Bill
post #742 of 4207 Old 05-03-2004, 02:11 PM
tji
AVS Special Member

Quote:

tji,

I also played 3 ripped DVDs with full subtitle support.

Uggh. Clearly nuke & pave was not enough for my system. Time for the full exorcism. Now, where did I put that mule sweat?

Actually, I put the HD cards in a new system now, with WinXP. I was able to get subtitles off of some ripped VOB files now. But, I changed so many things in the process that it's almost impossible to say what the original problem was.

Oh well. At least my new system seems to be much more capable than the old one. Playback of FusionHDTV and MyHD in the same system is working pretty well.
post #743 of 4207 Old 05-04-2004, 08:20 AM
Rgb
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Since the "Wish list" thread was closed, I'll post my feature request here.

V1.63 looks great, especially the Reservation dialog.

Titantv integration works great, too.

I'd like to see the ability to add a user defined pre and post recording time extension to the automated Titantv reservation addition feature.

That is, if I click the Record icon in Titantv for a show that starts at 1pm and ends at 2pm, the program gets added with those exact start/end times.

I would like a feature to add minutes to prior to the start and after the end of the program, to compensate for PC clock accuracy issues or broadcast issues.

As it stands, I manually add a minute or two to the start time and duration fields after adding a Titantv program.

Yes, I use an Atomic clock program (D4time) to set my HTPC's time at startup only (I don't like any more resident programs than necessary).

Maybe include an atomic clock sync function in myHD or the IR systray app?
post #744 of 4207 Old 05-04-2004, 08:57 AM
tji
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Rgb
I'd like to see the ability to add a user defined pre and post recording time extension to the automated Titantv reservation addition feature.

Maybe include an atomic clock sync function in myHD or the IR systray app?

This would be handy. If this were implemented, my preference would be to define the time in seconds. As it is now, I set "The West Wing" to start at 8:59, and end up with commercials. A 15-20 second head start would work in my case.

As for the NTP sync in MyHD, If you're using WinXP, NTP synchronization is built into the OS (double click on the clock, and select the third tab).
post #745 of 4207 Old 05-04-2004, 10:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked: 313
Running the latest release:

I manually recorded 2-2 (Boston PBS-HD).
When I try to play it, 2-1, not 2-2 is played.

- Rich

Oppo Beta Group

Oppo BDP-105D | Oppo HA-1 | Oppo PM-1 | Parasound A21 + A21 + A51 | Revel Salon, Voice, Studio | Velodyne HGS-15
For Sale: Revel Salons and Revel Studios (together or separately)
post #746 of 4207 Old 05-04-2004, 10:57 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Originally posted by RichB
Running the latest release:

I manually recorded 2-2 (Boston PBS-HD).
When I try to play it, 2-1, not 2-2 is played.

- Rich

That is because all sub channels are recorded instead of just the sub channel selected for recording.

Start play back and press the SUB-CH button on the remote and select sub 2-2 for play.
post #747 of 4207 Old 05-04-2004, 03:03 PM

I've installed v1.63 and am quite pleased with the new features. However, there is one new side-effect I do not like. I apologize if this has been addressed already - I could not find the info in my searches of the MDP-100/120 support threads.

When pressing FF, REW, or when resuming from pause, the video will blank for a second or so before resuming. This is new behavior in v1.63.

Is this a known feature in v1.63? Is it configurable? I don't really care for it.

-Rajiv
post #748 of 4207 Old 05-04-2004, 03:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Originally posted by rajivarora
I've installed v1.63 and am quite pleased with the new features. However, there is one new side-effect I do not like. I apologize if this has been addressed already - I could not find the info in my searches of the MDP-100/120 support threads.

When pressing FF, REW, or when resuming from pause, the video will blank for a second or so before resuming. This is new behavior in v1.63.

Is this a known feature in v1.63? Is it configurable? I don't really care for it.

-Rajiv

There has always been a time delay when making a time jump (FF/REW) but there is no delay when coming out of pause. At least not on my computers using both MDP-100 and MDP-120 cards.
post #749 of 4207 Old 05-04-2004, 08:00 PM

I installed the newest released version 1.63 from the digital connection site. Until this release I was able to record on my local ABC affilitate because the signal was always solid at over 75%. Now, the signal fluctuates between 0% and 90%. I just can't figure out what might be causing this. The upside of this version of the software is that now I pick up many of the farther away channels come in fantastic.

Thanks!

AmigoDeMD
post #750 of 4207 Old 05-04-2004, 10:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 24
AmigoDeMD--

Do you have another tuner with which you can verify that the lack of stability now is not external to MyHD? OTA is always subject to vagaries of weather, etc., so it's not a slam dunk that version xxx sw is to blame. E.g., the PBS station, which has been very solid for me for many moons now, was suddenly too weak to make a reliable recording this week. Version 1.63 sw?? Nope, my Sony's ATSC tuner is also having fits with KQED just now!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page