UnOfficial MyHD MDP-120/DVI card thread - part 2 - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 4207 Old 01-18-2004, 08:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Is anyone else stunned at the DVD playback picture quality? I am simply shocked how good it looks scaled to 1080i on my Sony RPTV. I agree - there are problems - but some of my DVD's look just so damn good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 4207 Old 01-18-2004, 01:03 PM

Liked: 10
Is there any way to use the MyHD card to play back DVD's without using the MyHD app? I'd like to use a third party DVD player frontend (zoomplayer?) and use the hardware decoder/scaler in the MyHD for the backend. How have people been playing DVD's through the card before the current beta?
post #93 of 4207 Old 01-18-2004, 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by sjchmura
Is anyone else stunned at the DVD playback picture quality? I am simply shocked how good it looks scaled to 1080i on my Sony RPTV. I agree - there are problems - but some of my DVD's look just so damn good.

Do you really think it looks any better than 1080i from the computer graphics card?
post #94 of 4207 Old 01-18-2004, 01:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member

"Is there any way to use the MyHD card to play back DVD's without using the MyHD app? I'd like to use a third party DVD player frontend (zoomplayer?) and use the hardware decoder/scaler in the MyHD for the backend."

Use of third party player will not be supported.

"Do you really think it looks any better than 1080i from the computer graphics card?"

Yes I do. At most the graphics card is using a 6-tap scaler and MyHD uses a 19-tap scaler. Plus the color space conversion is strictly for video instead of graphics.
post #95 of 4207 Old 01-18-2004, 03:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 233
I think the DVD playback looks fantastic with most DVD's. It is as good as my H3D-II/DVI connected with a well mastered DVD.

There are times, when MyHD/DVD combs. At least in the beta, it does not appear to be very good at film/video detection/recovery.

Have others noticed this?

-- Rich

Oppo Beta Group

Oppo BDP-105D | Oppo HA-1 | Oppo PM-1 | Parasound A51 | Revel Salon, Voice, Studio | Velodyne HGS-15
post #96 of 4207 Old 01-18-2004, 04:00 PM
tji
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

Originally posted by Cliff Watson
tji,

I just checked captions and subtitles on Pirates of the Caribbean and they display perfectly (in the beta software).

Thanks Cliff, I will try some other titles tonight. The DVD I was using yesterday was "The Crimes of Padre Amaro". When I pressed the "Caption" button, it displayed 4 or 5 options, but none actually displayed.
post #97 of 4207 Old 01-18-2004, 04:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yes I do. At most the graphics card is using a 6-tap scaler and MyHD uses a 19-tap scaler. Plus the color space conversion is strictly for video instead of graphics.

You know, I told my friend that very thing... What is a "tap" anyway

Oppo Beta Group

Oppo BDP-105D | Oppo HA-1 | Oppo PM-1 | Parasound A51 | Revel Salon, Voice, Studio | Velodyne HGS-15
post #98 of 4207 Old 01-18-2004, 05:20 PM

So I went and purchased an Audigy2 ZS. The card works fine in WinXP. Decoding of MyHD streams is perfect and I can run six channel Windows Media movies as well play DVD audio and multi channel surround sound games.

I also use Windows ME. Most of my HD movies are on DAT tape. The archiving software I use makes the tape look like a disk so playback and storage is easy but the software is only available for Windows 9x series of operating systems. Unfortunately, the Audigy and MyHD under Windows ME periodically loses sound. The sound when doing spdif passthrough in the Audigy also cuts off. My Revo worked fine under ME in passthrough mode but I could never get it to decode AC3 using Ac3Filter or WinDVD audio filters.

With the Audigy and MyHD, AC3 stream from the MyHD will be working fine for a few minutes and then silence. The only way to get the sound back is to have the MyHD play a file, or DVD, change wave type, or to restart MyHD. Under Windows XP, the sound never cuts off.

Has anyone else had the same problem occur in their systems? If so, are there any solutions?

Thanks..

-- John
post #99 of 4207 Old 01-19-2004, 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Cliff Watson
Use of third party player will not be supported.

Is this an official thing from MIT? And does it apply to apps like SageTV?
post #100 of 4207 Old 01-19-2004, 12:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Originally posted by ianneub
Is this an official thing from MIT? And does it apply to apps like SageTV?

Yes it is official.
post #101 of 4207 Old 01-19-2004, 01:28 PM

Is there a reference (manual) for the keyboard shortcuts or remote control buttons for playing a DVD in the latest beta? Right now I'm just guessing at what button to press to get the desired behavior I want.
post #102 of 4207 Old 01-19-2004, 02:23 PM
tji
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

Originally posted by tji
Thanks Cliff, I will try some other titles tonight. The DVD I was using yesterday was "The Crimes of Padre Amaro". When I pressed the "Caption" button, it displayed 4 or 5 options, but none actually displayed.

I tried a few more disks, and found that I cannot get captions with any of them.
I rebooted, but that didn't effect it. I then removed all DVD-effecting software (AnyDVD) and tried a stored VOB file, and it didn't change the behavior. I tried a software DVD player, and captions worked fine.

When the next version is released, I'll do a clean re-install & see if it still has problems.
post #103 of 4207 Old 01-19-2004, 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by TPeterson
cdt9c1--

Both cable and OTA are "ATSC" (as opposed to NTSC, the ugly analog TV standard ). Comcast cable is typically 256QAM encoded, while the OTA method in the U.S. is "8VSB" (8-level virtual sideband). IIRC, QAM is used for OTA in Europe, where multipath is thought to be a greater problem than range. (Somebody must've thought the reverse was true here--but that sure isn't the case where I live, near San Francisco)

Thanks for the info! To summarize then, the myHD 120 will tune 8VSB, while Comcast cable is typically 256QAM encoded. So for me OTA is the only HD option with this card.

Are there any available 256QAM to 8VSB convertors available for people in my situation?

Chris
post #104 of 4207 Old 01-19-2004, 02:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Originally posted by sedavis76
Is there a reference (manual) for the keyboard shortcuts or remote control buttons for playing a DVD in the latest beta? Right now I'm just guessing at what button to press to get the desired behavior I want.

It's still in the first beta so there is no manual.

What behavior are you looking for with the remote?

Most buttoms function as marked (Audio, Captions, REW, Play, FF, Prev (as in chapter), Stop, Next (as in chapter), Aspect, and left/right/up/down/OK to navigate and select menu items.

Oddball names for DVD are Guide=DVD Menu and REC=Eject. FAV seems to function the same as Guide.

The number buttoms function the same as file play mode.
post #105 of 4207 Old 01-19-2004, 03:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by sedavis76

To add to what Cliff said, since I have 2 networked MYHD's, I have to use Girder and an IRMAN to control the second card with my learning remote.

In building the Girder file, I ran into some keys that were not documented well on the DC website or whose behavour was not what I expected.

This was not just for DVD control but all posible input sources.

I was going for complete control of MYHD via remote control and the OSD.

2 Examples of OSD use:

1) Select Audio Track on a DVD from the OSD menu.
Hit CTRL+A and the TV screen displays the a list of available audio tracks when in DVD mode that you have to select with the remote's navigation button.

2) The normal Guide button on the GUI brings up TITAN TV website on the PC but CTRL+G will bring up an OSD Guide that is appropriate for the input.
Ie. PSIP info ifo in tuner mode, DVD root guide if in DVD mode.

Here is a list with maybe a little better clarification of the Keyboard keys from DC's website:
Chan UP = UP Arrow
Chan Down = Down Arow
Favorite (for OSD use only) = CTRL+M
Input (For OSD use only) = CTRL+I
Okay = CTRL+Return
Menu (For OSD use only) = CTRL+E
Previous Channel toggle = SHIFT+ESC
Guide (For OSD use only) = CTRL+G
Audio Track Selection (For OSD use only)= CTRL+A
UP/Down Navigation on OSD = same as Channell up/Dwn
Left/Right Navigation on OSD = Left Arrow/Right Arrow
ESC (For OSD use only) = SHIFT+ESC

My Girder file has more than these because the DC website list gave me the other ones. I now have complete control via Girder of MYHD from the comfort of my couch.
These are just the ones that took a little fiddling by me to understand really what they did. Some of these say "in a future release" on DC's website but are working in this 1.62.3 beta.

Hope this helps instead of confusing.

Joe
post #106 of 4207 Old 01-20-2004, 10:53 AM
AVS Special Member

I've had my MDP-120 for a month and love it. After watching HDTV for over 2 years I can finally record it. I have 2 slight problems. I run the sound out of the line-out of the sound card into the AA1158. When I bring up MYHD and the AA1158 switches over, the sound volume is quite reduced. I have turned the volume up on all the controls on the PC. Wave and everything. Still the volume is quite reduced. Is there just some impedance difference between the line-out on a PC and audio in on the TV? I found an equalizer that tweaks the sound on the mobo and ran all the sliders to the top. Now the sound is almost the same as output from the DTC-100. I have set Wave on and cable off in MYHD.

Second the HDTV picture displayed from the mdp-120 is slightly overblown and as such I lose a bit of the picture all around the edges. I'm not sure I'm explaining this right. It's like it zoomed in a bit. I know there is a Zoom option and it is turned off. My aspect ration 16:9 and Auto for the other one. As an example on a FOX (480p I know) from the DTC-100 the Fox logo in the lower left is several/many pixels from the left edge of the picture. The same image thru the mdp-120 the Fox logo is ON the edge of the image.

I do not run my monitor to the HDTV system. Too many problems. I use the remote to accomplish all I need. Works great. I have an Abit KD-7 running XP Pro. Had no problems with installation or running.
post #107 of 4207 Old 01-20-2004, 10:59 AM

AllenDB,
Is the DTC-100 set to output 1080i or the native resolution of the program?
What is the resolution that MyHD is outputing?

Maybe the overscan in your TV is different for one scan rate than for the other. Try setting both devices to the same scan rate and compare again.

My .02

M.-
post #108 of 4207 Old 01-20-2004, 11:46 AM
AVS Special Member

I haven't touched the DTC-100 in a long long time after initial tweaking. I'll go home tonight and poke around with your suggestions in mind. Thanks.
post #109 of 4207 Old 01-22-2004, 03:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Does the MyHD cards have the chroma bug during DVD playback?

Thanks,
Chris
post #110 of 4207 Old 01-22-2004, 07:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Schlotkins,

Quote:

Does the MyHD cards have the chroma bug during DVD playback?

I brought up Toy Story last night and it looked great no chroma problems.

I find the ATSC reception is not very good. Here in the Boston area I can get 50% signal on a couple of stations with my Zenith HDS-520. The same channels break up clocking in at about 20%.

Are there any options to change the sensitivity settings?

-- Rich

Oppo Beta Group

post #111 of 4207 Old 01-22-2004, 07:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

"Are there any options to change the sensitivity settings?"

Of course there is with a better antenna and preamp.
post #112 of 4207 Old 01-22-2004, 07:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Cliff,

Quote:

Of course there is with a better antenna and preamp.

I am 20 miles from the site. I have a 12' channel master antenna on my roof amplified.

As I said, no problem with Zenith 520 with the same signal. It is reporting half of the error rate.

I guess there is no way to tune the multi-path/versus sensitivity. At my location, I need sensitivity more than multi-path reduction.

I have never seen this, but it would be an interesting feature to be able to set the sensitivity/multi-path per channel.

Too bad though, I can't record on WBZ for WB. I have to watch these live.

-- Rich

Oppo Beta Group

post #113 of 4207 Old 01-22-2004, 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by RichB
I am 20 miles from the site. I have a 12' channel master antenna on my roof amplified.

A shot in the dark.

Try taking the pre-amp off for a while. Sometimes too strong a signal can be a bad thing. True, too much is usually associated with drop-outs, but reducing amplification has improved PQ in some instances.

I say this because, at 20 miles, you wouldn't have thought you needed a pre-amp.

Just a thought
Mike
post #114 of 4207 Old 01-22-2004, 08:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Cliff,

As I said, no problem with Zenith 520 with the same signal. It is reporting half of the error rate.

I guess there is no way to tune the multi-path/versus sensitivity. At my location, I need sensitivity more than multi-path reduction.

I have never seen this, but it would be an interesting feature to be able to set the sensitivity/multi-path per channel.

Too bad though, I can't record on WBZ for WB. I have to watch these live.

-- Rich

Definitely, get rid of the preamp, at 40 miles from boston, I get every channel on my MDP120, CM 4248 antenna (4228 also worked fine too), no preamp is needed.

Jim

Support C-band, the only true satellite signal, More information HERE
post #115 of 4207 Old 01-22-2004, 08:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

"I guess there is no way to tune the multi-path/versus sensitivity. At my location, I need sensitivity more than multi-path reduction."

The beta2 software has been retuned for better lock-on and faster channel changing.

If you really are overpowering the front end you can pad the RF input to reduce signal without a reduction to other tuners. Sounds like you need all you can get for the 520.
post #116 of 4207 Old 01-22-2004, 08:44 PM
AVS Special Member

I really do not think it is too much signal, since the problem occurs on the weakest stations. Anyway, removing the preamp is not an option right now. It is at the antenna on a snowy roof.

Cliff,

Is the beta 2, the last offical beta of the new 1/20 stuff?

I am currently running the last official beta.

Oppo Beta Group

post #117 of 4207 Old 01-22-2004, 09:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I really do not think it is too much signal, since the problem occurs on the weakest stations. Anyway, removing the preamp is not an option right now. It is at the antenna on a snowy roof.

Cliff,

Is the beta 2, the last offical beta of the new 1/20 stuff?

I am currently running the last official beta.

No it is not. The 1/20 was beta1 and was in no way official.

You can test a lower signal level without removing the amp. For about $3 you can buy a 6 dB attenuator at Radio Shack.

What is the power level of the weak stations? Both the ABC and Fox engineers live ~20 miles from the tranmitters and using 12" roof mounted antenna with 25dB amp can't even receive their own signal. ABC is transmitting at 14kW and Fox at 15.6kW. One uses a DTC-100 and the other a Samsung 161 receiver.

I live 14 miles from the transmitter farm (all towers within 1/4 mi of each other) and using a CM4226 with CM7777 preamp feeding a coax system split to feed 7 different receivers. The low power stations are at 93% and higher power stations (256kW) at 100%.

Oh and the antenna is mounted on a tripod on my ground floor recessed patio, aimed up ~10 degrees (over the top of a 4 story building).
post #118 of 4207 Old 01-22-2004, 10:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

No it is not. The 1/20 was beta1 and was in no way official.

I am not sure I am following you here. Here are the two releases that I am describing. Dates, Sizes, and Versions, all say the 1/20 version is a later release. Perhaps not official, but later.

12/24/2003 12:09PM 5,202,623 MyHD_Usa_v1.62.3.1.exe
01/20/2004 03:43PM 5,207,025 MyHD_Usa_v1.62.3.2.exe

Quote:

You can test a lower signal level without removing the amp. For about $3 you can buy a 6 dB attenuator at Radio Shack.

I will try that soon. But I do not think that this is the problem. I have many stations that get over 80% and they never have a problem.

Can't really say what the power levels are. The last documentation I can find is 3 months old.

Anyway, I just tried 56-1 here.
The Zenith 520 and 1080 receivers get about a 40-50% signal. No dropouts.
The MyHD 120 gets about 15%-20% frozen most of the time.

7-1 520 getting between 50% to 75% with a drop-out every minute or so.
7-1 MyHD getting between 0%-20% sporadically. Then it got better with a small breakup every minute or so. The program is hung. The channel is being displayed, but it will not respond.

I think MyHD is having trouble handing and recovering from errors in the signal.

-- Rich

Oppo Beta Group

post #119 of 4207 Old 01-22-2004, 11:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Like I said the 1/20 is not beta2 and is in no way official. An official release has yet to be made and will not be released until it is stable. The MIT folder is marked "TEST", not released.

Looks like you would be better off keeping the STB and returning the PCI card. MyHD needs 26% to lock solid without dropouts.

But on the other hand it seems odd that Jim is twice the distance from the transmitters and is able to tune the same channels.

"I think MyHD is having trouble handing and recovering from errors in the signal."

MyHD handles signal errors very well. I think you have either a bad card or bad software install. Try moving the coax cable to the other "F" connector and rescan the digital channels.
post #120 of 4207 Old 01-23-2004, 08:46 AM
AVS Special Member

can moving it to a different coax connector on the card actually affect performance? if so, i should give that a try; i strangely enough have a similar observation, my hipix card reports a higher signal strength than the myhd card off the same feed...
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page