post #181 of 4207 Old 02-01-2004, 10:00 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
"Is there a similar method for adjusting the contrast?"

Sean,

For contrast setting use the Reverse Gray Ramps (Title12, Chapter 13) in DVE.

The reverse gray ramps will have a black line indicating the safe adjust zones for black and white. I don't recommend using the DVE test pattern for adjusting black level (use the HDTV Ref Bars instead).

The way to set contrast with DVE is to increase contrast (MYHD or Display) until the image under the black line is pure white (100 IRE). If you keep increasing contrast you will notice that pure white will move down the gray scale and if you decrease contrast the gray bars will move outside the black line.

In my opinion the Brightness range between numbered settings on MyHD is excessive and I've requested that MIT reduce the range by at least 50% to allow for finer adjustments.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 4207 Old 02-01-2004, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Cliff Watson
In my opinion the Brightness range between numbered settings on MyHD is excessive and I've requested that MIT reduce the range by at least 50% to allow for finer adjustments.

I certainly agree with that. For now I've adjusted the MyHD brightness control slightly higher than I normally would and used the brightness control on my TV to tweak it down a little since that setting is much finer.

Thanks again for the calibration advice.
post #183 of 4207 Old 02-01-2004, 11:48 AM

Love this forum! I'm addicted. Sorry my first post has to be a question...

I've been running the MDP120 with the beta drivers and software for a little over a week. I'm seeing a stutter that I can't seem to isolate. The audio stays constant, but the video ever so slightly jumps (as if to catch up?).

It's so subtle yet noticible that I begin to look too closely for it. I wonder at times if it's the signal. Right now I'm watching the pregame on CBS and seeing the stutter frequently, but it seems to be absent at other times. The myHD signal is at 100% for this station.

I haven't seen anyone mention this in the forums with respect to the myHD, so I appeal to your wisdom. I've moved to other PCI slots to see if it was IRQ related. I've turned off all unnecessary background services.

I'm running XP Pro on a P4 1.7Ghz, 768MB RAM, Intel 850GB board, Radeon 7000 (Powerstrip timed to Cliff's recommendation from earlier posts), Maxtor drive off a 133 PCI controller, and the MDP120 w/ DVI daughter card to my Samsung HLN437 DLP.

Any advice is much appreciated.

Dave
post #184 of 4207 Old 02-01-2004, 12:33 PM

Hello All...

I have been using the MyHD MCP-120 and DVI daughterboard for about 4 months now. I recently put together an ASUS A7N8X-E Deluxe based system with Athlon 2500+ Barton Core and 512Mb Kingston ValueRam 3200+. With the ATI Radeon AIW 9000 Pro connected through DVI to my Hitachi 57F500, I can clock the FSB to 200MHz and lock the AGP frequency to 66Mhz and get a good display of my desktop in all resolutions (i.e., 888x500 (1080i timings), 1192x670 (720p timings), and 1776x1000i (1080i timings)). However, when I connect through the DVI daughterboard the display is corrupted with scan lines at the loading Windows XP logo and I get a full virtual desktop (scrolling) when windows and PS load completely.

I have all the latest drivers including the test drivers, which incidently caused the MyHD pass through to exhibit the same symptoms even with factory default settings in MB bios.

Hoping you can help me out with this and one other question which I will post seperately.

Thanks,

AmigodeMD

AmigoDeMD
post #185 of 4207 Old 02-01-2004, 03:57 PM

I just ordered MyHD card and would like to know what breakout cable are you using.I have a panny 53wx42 component tv.TIA
post #186 of 4207 Old 02-01-2004, 07:53 PM

I figured out my stutter problem. I had misconfigured the resolution in the myHD Config Panel > AV Setup > Video > Resolution. Instead of 1280x768P, I needed 1280x720P. Made a world of difference. :-)

Dave
post #187 of 4207 Old 02-01-2004, 11:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
AmigodeMD,

Did you check the "Enable Digital Flat Panel Ouput"?
post #188 of 4207 Old 02-02-2004, 03:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Ben,

Tune to channel 44 and then with the keyboard use hot keys "Ctrl+S" to change sub-channels. If the transport stream has more than one sub-channel and/or the TS tables are not broken you should be able to tune them.

still nothing...
post #189 of 4207 Old 02-02-2004, 03:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Can you change the sub-channels from a recording of this channel using hot keys or GUI? If not the ability to direct input sub-ch will not help.

i will try this later when i get home from work...if this is the case, i hope there is some way to work around it for live viewing...thanks
post #190 of 4207 Old 02-02-2004, 06:12 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by BenDover
i will try this later when i get home from work...if this is the case, i hope there is some way to work around it for live viewing...thanks

Ben,

One easy way to get a specific sub channel into your channel guide is to use TitanTV to schedule a recording. Just pick any program on that sub channel, and when you click on the icon to set the recording, MyIRC will tell you that the channel is not in your list, and you just click OK and it adds the channel.
post #191 of 4207 Old 02-02-2004, 06:28 AM

Anyone know what the control panel check box "Multi-mode on Antenna" does?
post #192 of 4207 Old 02-02-2004, 07:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by npeperone
Ben,

One easy way to get a specific sub channel into your channel guide is to use TitanTV to schedule a recording. Just pick any program on that sub channel, and when you click on the icon to set the recording, MyIRC will tell you that the channel is not in your list, and you just click OK and it adds the channel.

heh, that sounds like a great workaround...i'll do that when i get home tonight...if it works, thank you very much
post #193 of 4207 Old 02-02-2004, 07:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by sedavis76
Anyone know what the control panel check box "Multi-mode on Antenna" does?

i was wondering the same thing just yesterday when i was trying to figure out another problem i've suddenly started experiencing.

i have made no changes to my setup or to my computer (other than unplugging an external usb hard drive to u/g it from a 40 to a 200, only to find out that the onboard ata controller must not be able to address anything more than a 130gb drive ... damn maxtor!! ... but i digress).

anyhow, my newest problem is that i have lost audio on one of my pbs stations...the sd subchannel is fine but the hd sub has lost audio; video is still fine...this may be right after i tried pressing ctrl-s to change sub channels on another channel as suggested by cliff...any ideas cliff? ( i hope to cure my untunable subchan by using titantv as suggested by another clever/observant user...nice feature of myHD as well )
post #194 of 4207 Old 02-02-2004, 11:59 AM
Advanced Member

BenD, did you check if there's a bios update for your mobo to support drives>137GB?
post #195 of 4207 Old 02-02-2004, 12:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by jb33
BenD, did you check if there's a bios update for your mobo to support drives>137GB?

didn't mean to get off topic but: my issue isn't related to my mobo, or its bios, but instead with the ata->usb controller within the external drive enclosure. there must be some firmware/bios limitation within the external drive enclosure's controller. it is the maxtor 3000le model which initially only came in 40 or 120gb versions. short of being able to somehow u/g the firmware/bios of the drive enclosure i would have to get a new controller for the enclosure, if it is even available (the newer 5000 series maxtor external drives should have the appropriate controller; i have an email into maxtor's tech support). only other option would be to swap out a 120gb drive i have in one of my computers with the 200gb drive i was hoping to house within the enclosure and live with 80gb less external storage space than i had been hoping for...*sigh*
post #196 of 4207 Old 02-02-2004, 12:51 PM
Advanced Member

had a feeling you would have covered the obvious
post #197 of 4207 Old 02-03-2004, 08:42 AM
AVS Special Member

ok, using the guide i am able to tune to the appropriate channel/subchannel (quirky implementation; seems like 2 or 3 windows open up, no content in the windows, to change the channel on the myHD); also, if i select record for a channel/sub that is not in my channel list it notes that and gives me the option of adding it to the list.

observation: if clicking on something in titantv's guide executes a script/command to enter the appropriate channel/sub and this apparently works, there must be some way for me to input the correct chan/sub? (similarly for the adding the missing chan/sub)

problem: using the guide to schedule a recording, thereby adding any missing chans/subs, only appears to work for one chan/sub, even though it "appears" to recognize that the chan/sub are not yet in the list; i.e., if 44.1 is already in the list and i use the guide to schedule a recording of something on 44.2, the app recognizes that 44.2 is not in my chan list and offers to add it, however, after clicking ok to the dialog offering to add the chan/sub, it doesn't actually add the new chan/sub, only the old 44.1 remains. i can delete 44.1 and repeat the process and then 44.2 is indeed added, but then i can't add 44.1 back...

cliff, i can neither enter the chan/sub directly, use the left/right arrows on the gui nor use the kb ctrl-s combo to change subs, does anyone else have this behavior?

p.s. my audio is back on my pbs channel, they must have had broadcast problems...
post #198 of 4207 Old 02-03-2004, 04:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Ben--

Where the heck are you and what station is that "44.1"? AFAIK, now that KQED is back in the pink, other folks aren't seeing the stuff you describe. (But I don't receive D45 KBHK well enough to tune "44.1", which would be its first virtual channel)
post #199 of 4207 Old 02-03-2004, 05:22 PM
AVS Special Member

KBHK (like KCSM) doesn't use the 44 virtual since they're probably going to abandon the 44 transmitter when the analog gets shut off. They show up in MyHD as 45.1. Since they started broadcasting Enterprise HD, they're also upconverting to 1080i 24/7 instead of trying to change resolution on the fly. They used to broadcast 480i only.

Ben is clearly not in the Bay Area.

- Mike
post #200 of 4207 Old 02-03-2004, 06:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by TPeterson
Ben--

Where the heck are you and what station is that "44.1"? AFAIK, now that KQED is back in the pink, other folks aren't seeing the stuff you describe. (But I don't receive D45 KBHK well enough to tune "44.1", which would be its first virtual channel)

**** if you could get my channel i would want to know where you got your antenna...i'm in smithtown (about halfway out on long island), new york...44.1 is FOX and 44.2 is UPN
post #201 of 4207 Old 02-03-2004, 09:02 PM

Please forgive the question if you've already answered it: Do you have Virtual Channel Mode enabled?

akula

Quote:

ok, using the guide i am able to tune to the appropriate channel/subchannel (quirky implementation; seems like 2 or 3 windows open up, no content in the windows, to change the channel on the myHD); also, if i select record for a channel/sub that is not in my channel list it notes that and gives me the option of adding it to the list.

observation: if clicking on something in titantv's guide executes a script/command to enter the appropriate channel/sub and this apparently works, there must be some way for me to input the correct chan/sub? (similarly for the adding the missing chan/sub)

problem: using the guide to schedule a recording, thereby adding any missing chans/subs, only appears to work for one chan/sub, even though it "appears" to recognize that the chan/sub are not yet in the list; i.e., if 44.1 is already in the list and i use the guide to schedule a recording of something on 44.2, the app recognizes that 44.2 is not in my chan list and offers to add it, however, after clicking ok to the dialog offering to add the chan/sub, it doesn't actually add the new chan/sub, only the old 44.1 remains. i can delete 44.1 and repeat the process and then 44.2 is indeed added, but then i can't add 44.1 back...

cliff, i can neither enter the chan/sub directly, use the left/right arrows on the gui nor use the kb ctrl-s combo to change subs, does anyone else have this behavior?

p.s. my audio is back on my pbs channel, they must have had broadcast problems...

post #202 of 4207 Old 02-04-2004, 06:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by akula
Please forgive the question if you've already answered it: Do you have Virtual Channel Mode enabled?

akula

yes, i do have virtual chan mode enabled; will have to disable tonight when i get home to see if that affects myhd's behavior...thanks
post #203 of 4207 Old 02-04-2004, 07:31 AM

Before you do that, try an Auto Scan when Virtual Channel Mode is enabled. Subchannels should show up in your channel list now.

If an Auto Scan is done when Virtual Channel Mode is disabled, the subchannels don't show up. If it is subsequently enabled without a rescan, the subchannels still don't show up and control-S and the sub-ch button on the remote are inactive (for live broadcasts).
At least that's the way it works for me.

akula

Quote:

yes, i do have virtual chan mode enabled; will have to disable tonight when i get home to see if that affects myhd's behavior...thanks

post #204 of 4207 Old 02-04-2004, 08:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Last night CBS had everything all screwed up. Shortly after 9 I accidently saw that NCIS had been shifted from 8 to 9. I ran into the office and tried to simply schedule a recording from now for 1 hour. It kept saying the start time had already passed. No matter what I did the start time had already passed.

How can one tell MYHD to simply record from the present for x amount of time on the schedule screen?

Allen
post #205 of 4207 Old 02-04-2004, 08:33 AM
AVS Special Member

but i have had virtual chan mode enabled all the while...so i have done numerous scans while it is enabled but have not been able to add the appropriate subchans...

i thought you were suggesting disabling virtual mode...
post #206 of 4207 Old 02-04-2004, 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by AllenDB
Last night CBS had everything all screwed up. Shortly after 9 I accidently saw that NCIS had been shifted from 8 to 9. I ran into the office and tried to simply schedule a recording from now for 1 hour. It kept saying the start time had already passed. No matter what I did the start time had already passed.

How can one tell MYHD to simply record from the present for x amount of time on the schedule screen?

Allen

Allen,

Tune to the channel you want, and press the record button (on the remote (or in the MyHD window) a couple of times. After the 2nd press, you will see a time come up (15 mins. maybe? don't recall exact) and each time you press the time will increase (15 mins., 30 mins., 60 mins.).

Regards,
Nick
post #207 of 4207 Old 02-04-2004, 10:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Cool!!!! Can't wait to get home and try it.
Thank you. I read the manual front to back but I guess it all didn't stick the first time.

Allen
post #208 of 4207 Old 02-04-2004, 11:45 AM
AVS Addicted Member

When pressing the record button (remote or control panel) the record time duration is as follows.

1st Press = Infinity
2nd Press = 10 minutes
3rd Press = 30 minutes
4th Press = 60 minutes
5th Press = 90 minutes
6th Press = 120 minutes
7th Press = 180 minutes
8th Press = Return to Infinity
post #209 of 4207 Old 02-04-2004, 07:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Cliff, I had a problem today with my install, When launching the MyHD app, it would go into HD mode (I have it looped back via VGA right now) and would not allow me to exit HD mode. I ended up uninstalling/reinstalling the latest beta APP and now it works. No clue why it hung up and put itself into HD mode on startup without me checking the box to do so. All is fine now though...

Jim

Support C-band, the only true satellite signal, More information HERE
post #210 of 4207 Old 02-04-2004, 08:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Jim,

I had the same problem just the other day.

I was testing dual monitor RGB mode and after going back to loopback DVI mode I unchecked dual monitor and forgot to also uncheck start in HD mode. When dual monitor mode is selected the start in HD mode gets checked and grayed out.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page