AVS Forum banner

UnOfficial MyHD MDP-120/DVI card thread - part 2

362K views 4K replies 340 participants last post by  Gary in NY 
#1 ·
Due to the fact that a couple of people have emailed me requesting that I reopen the old thread, I have decided to open a new thread for people to discuss the card.

Before posting any questions here, I ask that you read the first thread in its entirety so that the same questions are not posted again and again. Please understand that it is your responsibility to research your questions, and that people are willing to help you out as long as you do your homework first.

The first thread is located here:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=264533

Also, just in case there are still people that do not understand, Cliff Watson is here in this forum of HIS OWN ACCORD, and does not represent ANY COMPANY, including MIT or Digital Connection, regardless of appearances and suppositions. I did not ask Cliff for his permission to open this thread, so he is in no way obligated to answer any questions, or for that matter, to even make an appearance. I have opened this thread so that people can further discuss among themselves issues and questions regarding the MDT-120. If Cliff chooses to participate, then so much the better for all of us, but please refrain from making expectations.

With that said, then go ahead and reopen the discussion, and most of all, have fun!

See less See more
#2 ·
jb33 - from the other thread:

Cliff, the problems around nvapu.sys seem to be that the Nforce Audio system does not support hardware acceleration. dxdiag tells me it will only play sounds in the software buffer.

Any chance MyHD could be "fixed" to support playback on audio sub systems with no hardware acceleration?

jb

I have 2 MYHD systems, the ASUS P4G8X Deluxe and ASUS P4TE. They both have on-board audio (different chipsets though).

The P4TE is an older Mboard.

Both systems work fine with the MYHD card.

I don't have an Nforce Audio but your post prompted me to run DXdiag on BOTH systems.

The P4TE displays the same message you get about not supporting HW accel and use the SW buffer.

The P4G8X DOES have HW accel.

Unless this error you describe is maybe specific to the Nforce card, HW versus SW accel is not the issue.

Can't you just try a different Audio card to prove it?

Unless you are a very rare PC 'enthusiast' (hate the term geek) , you must have a box with plenty of spare PC parts like an audio card

Joe

#3 ·
Using the new beta software, my system unexpectedly began recording last night at 8PM. So, I checked the reservation capture settings, and the days for all my captures were changed. Did anyone else encounter this, or is it just something weird in my setup?

#4 ·
Last thread got closed before I got a chance to ask this one so I hope Cliff is reading.

I am using the Beta 1.62.3

Here's the scoop:

I had recorded Star Wars AOTC onto my hard disc when it was shown on HBOHD. It plays from disc just fine.

I have not used my MITS D-VHS for quite some time but decided I needed the disc space so I played AOTC from disc through MYHD and had it also record to D-VHS at the same time.

I did NOT use Dvhstool.

No problems during the playback/record session.

When watching the tape from MYHDlast night, I found that after about 10 minutes, the sound would start breaking up and get progressively worse.

Hitting Pause then Play cleared the sound up for another 10 or so minutes.

Anyone else (Cliff, hint hint) observe this same behaviour?

I do not have an HT machine or a 865 chipset machine.

FPM is set to the default install value of 0.

Thanks for any feedback,

Joe

#5 ·
Joe, have you tried setting FPM to 1? It seems like the beta may have an issue correctly setting the right mode. In previous versions FPM-0 worked fine for me. In the beta I got audio problems on some streams. If I pause or rewind the video, it would smooth out temporarily, then start 'stuttering' again.

TPeterson suggested setting it to FPM-1, and that solved my problem. (of course, that was with a file on a local hard drive, so it may not have the same effect on D-VHS, but it's worth a shot..)

#7 ·

Quote:
Originally posted by tji
Joe, have you tried setting FPM to 1? It seems like the beta may have an issue correctly setting the right mode. In previous versions FPM-0 worked fine for me. In the beta I got audio problems on some streams. If I pause or rewind the video, it would smooth out temporarily, then start 'stuttering' again.

TPeterson suggested setting it to FPM-1, and that solved my problem. (of course, that was with a file on a local hard drive, so it may not have the same effect on D-VHS, but it's worth a shot..)

It seems to have fixed my D-VHS tape audio problem but it made the audio on regular disc recordings cause dropouts every 30 seconds or so.

I know Cliff is reading this and has a D-VHS so I will wait to hear from him.

IN the meantime, I am going back to FPM =0 knowing that any D-VHS recordings I make are A Okay.

Very strange.

Joe

#8 ·
First: I hope that closing of the existing thread was more of an administrative thing, and not Cliff getting fed up with the our collective endless requests for help. But if it's the later, I can't say as I blame him.

Cliff, wherever you are out there: Thanks for the superhuman effort you put into this. I hope you take some time off...and then come back, 'cause we need you!

Now then: I've got a new problem that's got me bugged but good. MyHD won't give control back to the video card! I've got a Radeon 9200 hooked up via the passthru to the MyHD-120. I'm using the new beta (I miss that thread, too), and have been since the day it came out. Within the last couple of days, once I start MyHD, I can't get back to the desktop:

-- If I click the "HD" button on the remote (or the escape key on the keyboard) to go back to the desktop/overlay--nothing happens.

-- If I hit the power button on the remote, the screen goes black. The PC is humming away, but nothing appears.

-- If I hit the power button on the remote again, MyHD fires back up, and I get its picture.

It takes a reboot to get the desktop back.

When I get home, I'm going to see if, somehow, the "separate monitor" feature got turned on--maybe that's what's doing it. If so, can't imagine how that got set.

Any other ideas? Anyone else seeing this?

Thanks--

#9 ·
lonndoggie --

I'm seeing similar behavior on my system, but slightly different. I also have the MyHD 120 hooked up pass-through (from a Sapphire Radeon 9000) and am running the latest beta s/w from MIT. My MyHD beta s/w is locking up fairly regularly (but not after any particular interval -- sometimes it will run all day without locking up). When it locks up, it continues to receive and display video/audio from the MyHD card but will not respond to remote or keyboard commands -- exept for one.

I discovered this by accident when it locked up once while I was watching from the desktop with the overlay display. At the point of lock-up, it generated a Windows XP bug report dialog. I figured it might be doing that in the background during the other lock-ups while using the "HD" display, so I hit the return key to dismiss the dialog. This seems to work every time. After hitting return, the HD display goes black (the program has quit, but the VGA bypass switch on the card is still set to HD). Then the remote will work again and when I re-launch the program it switches back to the desktop with overlay.

This is probably more interesting than useful, but sounds similar to your problem.

I've been lurking in the forum for some time now, but figured I've got enough experience now that maybe I can start to contribute something to "the collective".

#10 ·

Quote:
Originally posted by dayvo
lonndoggie --

I'm seeing similar behavior on my system, but slightly different...

That's brilliant! I've gotten the occasional random, stray "send an error report" dialog, but not recently (then again, hard to tell, given the way it's behaving). Assuming this comes back (yes, comes back...stay tuned), I'll try the "hit enter/restart MyHD" fix.

As for my own diagnostics, checking to see if "using separate monitor" was checked was impossible, because I had MyHD set to launch into HD mode, where that setting isn't availble, and from which there was no return. So, figured I'd look in the registry and find the conveniently named key for using a seperate monitor and change it from a 1 to a zero (or vice-versa)--but there was no such obvious key. There was such a key for starting in HD mode, and I changed that--but it STILL launced in HD mode. Sigh.

So...I uninstalled the app, driver, and card (via control panel, not physically), and reinstalled. Problem went away. Whew. Had to re-scan my channels, and have to go re-set my recording schedules, but it's BACK.

Thanks Dayvo for NOT lurking--

LDog

#11 ·
Hello ,

first i wish a happy new year here from Germany to all AVS forum members.

I received my HD 120 card over the Christmas holidays in NY , and i want to thank digital connections for the a+ service.

Now i have 2 questions:

1. is there any way to play BS. files with the card , because i get no picture with BS. Files.

2.are there plans to upgrade the card to PAL user like us in Europe or Australia ?

In the first my hd 120 thread there are postings that the new Beta software does not play pal DVD´s. I have absolutely no problems to play Pal DVD´s at all.

greats

Karsten

#12 ·
Sorry but I seemed to have missed the window on the previous thread. I just got my MyHD 120/DVI board installed.

Here are the problems so far:

1) DVI to the 503CMX 1280x768 does not fill the screen. It is about 10 pixels short on both the horizontal and the vertical. Horizontal is shifted to the right. I cannot compensate with the 503 settings to correct it.

Are there any setting to correct this?

2) While recording with the VOP window active, right-click on the control panel skin crashed the program. Restarting did not resume recording.

3) DVD - Cannot run Avia or Digital Video Essential, sub menus hang.

Thanks,

Rich

P.S. Are time table on the next version?

#13 ·

Quote:
Originally posted by tji
Using the new beta software, my system unexpectedly began recording last night at 8PM. So, I checked the reservation capture settings, and the days for all my captures were changed. Did anyone else encounter this, or is it just something weird in my setup?

Most of mine were OK, but my Monday-only Leno got changed to Sunday-only.

#14 ·
londoggie and davyo,

I am also seeing the same problem occasionally with the new software, but I previously had intermittent problems with Radeon card (and been way too lazy to change it out) which masked the problem. Not sure exactly what triggers it, I recall once it was scheduled record to DVHS.

RichB,

I also have a Pioneer plasma and 1080i or 720p as there seems to be some issues with 768, although I'm not certain what it is as this resolution seems to be accurate with my Sony LCD. I'll check again when I get back from CES.

The crashing problem as been reported to MIT by Cliff.

Not certain about the Digital Video Essentials as I have not tried it yet. I believe Cliff was able to use it without problems, but I will check it again after CES.

#16 ·
Here is another bug (in case we are being monitored):

Watching DVD connected via DVI does not disable the screen saver. The screen saver comes up and when I press a key it exits HD mode.

-- Rich

#17 ·
Hello ,

if i connect the MyHD with the cable-out to the CD in of my Sound card , i get no Sound from the Sound-cards spdif out.

I tried every possible setting the MyHD application.

Is there a special trick ?

KArsten

#18 ·
you can send the sound out the sound card directly. disconnect the spdif cable from the MyHD output. In audio settings, select wave (choices are cable, spdif, and wave). then in the dropdown menu to the right choose spdif. Wave tells MyHD you want to use the sound card for output. spdif specifies dolby 5.1 and DTS as the output type where applicable.

jb

#19 ·

Quote:
Originally posted by Joe Q
Last thread got closed before I got a chance to ask this one so I hope Cliff is reading.

I am using the Beta 1.62.3

Here's the scoop:

I had recorded Star Wars AOTC onto my hard disc when it was shown on HBOHD. It plays from disc just fine.

Joe

Joe - sorry to respond to a question with a question but I'm interested in how you get the HBOHD output stream for recording. I'd like to be able to time-shift the four high def cable channels I have.

Regards,

Bill

#20 ·
Why is this thread UnOfficial? What made the previous one Official?

Just wondering.

M.-

#21 ·
Hello ,

i think this thread was called " Un " official because in the first Thread some people thought Cliff was a kind of Hotline for them.

But he is not.

I am very thankfully for his unofficial work and help.

Karsten

#22 ·

Quote:
Originally posted by bl123
Joe - sorry to respond to a question with a question but I'm interested in how you get the HBOHD output stream for recording. I'd like to be able to time-shift the four high def cable channels I have.

Regards,

Bill

Bill.

As of 02/11/04, it will be a moot point but I thought I would answer to spread the word in case other folks have not heard the news that DISH is screwing it's model 5000 customers.

I use a DISH 5000 (actually, I have 2 of them) with the optional HD modulator.

The modulator has an RF connector on the back that outputs a signal that looks like a VHF ATSC compliant signal. The only thing output through the modulator are the High Defintion channels from DISH.

Any STB or HD PC card like the MYHD sees this as an OTA VHF station

I have had this rig for a number of years and before the advent of the HD PC cards like the Hipix, I used a Panasonic DST51 STB and Panny HD1000 D-VHS to record.

Now I use the MYHD for this. The Panny was replaced with a MITS D-VHS.

Have a library of at least 90 HD Movies.

I can record SHOHD,HBOHD and HDPPV.

Starting in August 2002, with the rollout of Discovery HD theater, DISH starting using 8PSK for all their new HD transmissions so the 5000 does not recognize these HD channels (Discovery HD,Hdnet,etc.).

FYI,During that rollout, DISH had a free 1 month preview period of Discovry HD and they kept transmitting it with the 4PSK format so the 5000 did recognize it. I have 15 hours of great eye candy on tape.

Here is why it is now a moot point.

In February, DISH is moving SHOHD and HBOHD from the 61.5 ( and 148 for you west folks) bird to the 110 bird and transmitting it in 8PSK so the 5000's HD modulator will cease to function.

NO more recording HD programs from DISH with STB's or cards like MYHD.

That mesage you see on the program guide for SHOHD,etc. is what this is all about.

We all knew this was coming and assumed (incorectly) that DISH would wait until the 921 was widely avaialble before dumping on it's loyal customers.

I am on about 6 waiting lists for the 921 and if I don't get one by the 'death' of the 5000 in February,

I will be droppping DISH altogether in February and using my now useless 61.5 dish to get VOOM.

Can't record but I get a large selection of HD movies so I don't have to deal with HBOHD/SHOHD showing movies I want at wierd hours like 2:00 AM like it is now on DISH.

Sorry for the rant but I guess you can tell that I (and MANY others) are really P***d about this.

I did answer your question

Joe

#23 ·
@ JB33

Thanks for your help , but i doesn not work.

The Sound card will give out Sound from the DVD Rom and other Programs.

I tried all possible Settings and Connections ( do i need the Cable or not ? ).

Is it possible that it don't work because the Beta Software ?

Karsten

#24 ·

Quote:
Originally posted by Joe Q
Bill.

I did answer your question

Joe

That you did, and then some! Thanks for the very informative post - I was not familiar with dish as I have the Sci Atl 3100HD STB from local cable company. I share the frustration of HBOHD and other HD programming times. I was hoping that another provider like voom might make the digital stream available, but from your post I'm assuming they don't. But if the new system from dish will support it, I'm wondering why you might change to something else rather than wait for the new hardware?

Thanks again for the info. I realize I strayed from the MyHD topic (except that I want to use the MDP-120 to record the content) and should do my own homework on this.

Bill

#25 ·
I use a MyHD 120 to record some SD cable shows and am currently using the latest divx codec to do so. Unfortunatly My PC is only a P4 1.9 (OC'd) and the highest resolution I can get to work correctly is 320x240, 640x480 is too much for the poor PC. A 30min show file is about 750meg when using divx.

The recorded SD material is watchable, but breakups do occure when too much action takes place on the screen.

What codecs are you folks using to record SD with?

#26 ·

Quote:
Originally posted by bl123
That you did, and then some! Thanks for the very informative post - I was not familiar with dish as I have the Sci Atl 3100HD STB from local cable company. I share the frustration of HBOHD and other HD programming times. I was hoping that another provider like voom might make the digital stream available, but from your post I'm assuming they don't. But if the new system from dish will support it, I'm wondering why you might change to something else rather than wait for the new hardware?

Thanks again for the info. I realize I strayed from the MyHD topic (except that I want to use the MDP-120 to record the content) and should do my own homework on this.

Bill

You can stray from the topic. After all this is the UNofficial MYHD thread

See If your cable company offers the Sci Atl Explorer 8000HD then you can record for later watching as that is a DVR.

If I had that choice in my area, that is what I would do.

Voom will make the stream available sometime in the future - getting that info from folks reporting back from CES.

As far as your question about ditching DISH, it is the principle of the thing.

I have a model 6000 and 2 Model 5000's with almost the full programming package from DISH and have been a customer for 5 years.

Both of those 5000's are going to be useless for recording HD as that is all I use them for and DISH could care less. They are not making any upgrade offers except for a $149 upgrade to the model 821 which is nothing more than a newer version of the 6000 which I already have one of.

My 5000's will be as useful to me as a boat anchor.

Joe

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.