my program to repair KQED-HD recordings - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 01-16-2004, 12:11 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I've decided to share a program I wrote to fix the broken HD transport stream broadcast by SF Bay area PBS station KQED after 8 p.m. The symptom of this problem on the MyHD card is recordings show a black screen for 1 minute (or forever on the most recent MyHD beta driver).

The cause is the PAT map is incorrect, so the card has to do a deep scan of the transport stream to build its own map. My program repairs the PAT by removing bogus entries for the subchannels that aren't broadcast after 8 p.m., and then updates the length of the PAT map and generates a new CRC32 field.

This program runs in a command shell, and only has 1 option: keep subchannel 1, or keep subchannels 1 and 2. Example:
fix-kqed 1 oldfile.tp newfile-hd-only.tp
fix-kqed 2 oldfile.tp newfile-both.tp

My program only changes the PAT map, it doesn't remove any packets. If you want to reduce file size when just keeping subchannel 1, then use NullPacketStripper to strip out the packets for subchannel 2 (0x20-0x2f).

By downloading this program, you accept the following terms & limitations:[list=1][*]program is distributed "as is" with no warranty[*]program has not been tested with files larger than 4GB--there's a chance it won't work--if in doubt, use NullPacketStripper to break the large file into several smaller pieces <4GB[*]I'm sharing work I've already done--I don't plan to put any more time into this, so do not ask for new features[/list=1]

The attachment is the actual executable, not a zip file, just change the .zip to .exe to run.
Post here if you find this program useful.

--Dan

fix-kqed.zip 5k . file

My
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 01-16-2004, 01:07 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Dan--

Thanks bunches!! I tried it with v1.62.2 MyHD app. on D09-2(30)-0108-2300 (Catherine of Aragon), first a 1-minute clip and then the whole hour, and it seems to have worked for both--although I did experience a machine lock-up while moving the slider near the end of the 1-hour file. This may be a MyHD bug, however, so I'll see if it recurs before regarding it as a "fix-kqed.exe" problem.

--Terry
post #3 of 6 Old 01-16-2004, 06:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Can I use your app to reinsert the PAT that was accidently removed in NPS Beta-09? Olli has since fixed the 'delete PAT' in beta-11, but I have a few recordings I already nullpacketstripped (burnt on DVD) that are missing the PAT now (and take 20-30 seconds to start playback, but only in the official MyHD app, not the MyHD beta app).
post #4 of 6 Old 01-16-2004, 11:28 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally posted by BenCJedi
Can I use your app to reinsert the PAT that was accidently removed in NPS Beta-09? Olli has since fixed the 'delete PAT' in beta-11, but I have a few recordings I already nullpacketstripped (burnt on DVD) that are missing the PAT now (and take 20-30 seconds to start playback, but only in the official MyHD app, not the MyHD beta app).
Sorry, my program only modifies an existing PAT packet (PID=0). The bug in NPS deleted all PID=0 packets, so there's nothing there to modify.

--Dan

My
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 6 Old 05-22-2004, 02:52 PM

Liked: 10
The link above, unfortunately, no longer works (the downloaded file is a corrupted 5k .zip) ... can it be fixed?

thanks

- litz
post #6 of 6 Old 05-22-2004, 06:28 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally posted by dhnjp1
The attachment is the actual executable, not a zip file, just change the .zip to .exe to run.
Post here if you find this program useful.

--Dan
Closed Thread Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page