Liked: 10
Quote:
From conexant's product bulletin:

CX23880-17
Includes BTSC dbx stereo
Intel/Motorola and VIP2.0 Host ports
CCIR 656 digital video Input and Output ports

CX23881-27
Includes BTSC stereo (No dbx companding circuit)

CX23882-17
Intel/Motorola Host ports (no VIP Host port)
CCIR 656 digital video Input and Output ports
Includes BTSC stereo (No dbx companding circuit)

CX23883-17
Includes BTSC dbx stereo
Looks like CX23881-27 is capable of BTSC stereo, just no dbx. Can anyone confirm that it's the CX23881-27 chip that is used on Fusion III?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 212 Old 03-02-2004, 03:04 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi swetmore,

I also used to have ATT BI, now Comcast and my HTPC config is:

Motherboard: ASUS P4P800 865PE Chipset, ICH5R
Hard drive: Dual SATA Raptor 10,000 RPM Raid 0
Monitor: 42" Plasma Wall mounted
Sound: Sound Blaster Audigy TosLink to 5.1 Surround
RAM: 1Gb - Dual CMX512-3500C2
CPU 2.8c GHz Pentium 800 MHZ FSB

I've got all the gear in the closet so the room looks spacious and very inviting (my wife loves it with the hard wood floors and all!). The lazy boy throne provides comfort as I use the logitech fast IR keyboard and mouse to play on the big screen. I love my setup :D

On the card - I imagine the warranty is transferrable, and I'd rather sell it to someone here rather than take a 20% hit with copper. However, it'd be a shame if I didn't get QAM64 to work and it may be a simple setting I haven't done since others such as madpoet are getting all QAM64 channels. Also, I learnt my buddy just got a plasma today aswell and he's getting Comcast's HDTV STB. I also want to try it out at his place and will post results later this week.
post #183 of 212 Old 03-02-2004, 03:26 PM

My Athlon XP 3000+ is a computer I recently put together as intended to be my HTPC. Both computers are close to Cable Jacks. Currently I do not have an HDTV montior, but on my other computer in my office, I have a 21" monitor and 1280 X 768 (720p) looks really good on it using the Fusion demo. I was wondering if you tried unplugging your signal combiner and if that made any difference. Try everything..

I am glad I found someone local that has similiar interests. I plan on buying an HDTV monitor soon, so getting HDTV in my office is a start. please keep us posted on your experiences. I am getting really itchy on HDTV, but maybe it will be best to see how the ATI HDTV product is going to work. By then the Fusion3 product may be much more mature and some of these other issues may be resolved.

I have some other questions for you as well, and would like to take them off line. Could you email me?

Scott
post #184 of 212 Old 03-03-2004, 10:12 AM

I'm having some problems with my Fusion III. To be fair, I had similar problems with my previous (non-HDTV) tuner card.

Basically what happens is my computer will just lock up and require a hard reset. This occurs both when I use Dscaler and when I use the Fusion software. It usually seems to happen as I am clicking on menus with my mouse, although it has happened at other times also. The problem seems to be intermittent, and if I don't click on anything at all, the applications seem to run OK for long periods of time (over an hour).

Typically, I will start either Dscaler or Fusion, use it for a few minutes, decide I want to change a setting and use the right-click menu. After a few clicks, everything will freeze and the computer will not respond to mouse or keyboard. No BSoD, and Ctrl-Alt-Del does not work. I have to do a hard reset.

Has anyone else experienced this? Could this be related to an IRQ problem?

I am running Win2K Professional on a Soltek EQ-3401 SFF (Intel i865G chipset) with a 2.4G Celeron. The video card is an OEM Radeon VE, and I am using the onboard (AC97 I think) sound.
post #185 of 212 Old 03-04-2004, 08:15 PM

My Fusion 3 is using the CX23881-27.

So far I haven't tried an analog station to see if it actually gets stereo or not.

Right now I'm trying to get myHTPC up and running.

-------------------------

I have scanned for QAM 64 and 256 stations. Pick up quiet a few stations on Comcast in the Dallas area, but none of them display anything. Occasionally I get audio on one of the QAM256.

Every single one of the QAM stations are pegged at 27db, 100% signal.
I think I'll have to try out an attenuator like some are doing.

Actually, I've noticed that I recieve a couple of very strong OTA digital stations. When they approach 98-100% they sometimes drop out. If the signal stays under 98%, it seems pretty stable.

So, I think the Fusion 3 has problems with large signal clipping or other RF problems.
post #186 of 212 Old 03-04-2004, 08:43 PM

Ok here is my latest update. Didn't get a chance to get another attenuator but played around with my current one. As someone else said, when it's turned all the way down I get a 100% signal, but when it's turn in the middle or even close to max I get no signal. If I mess around with the attneuator and tune it to like the 20% of max I can get the signal to drop, but it drops too quickly for me to get it to a usefull number. I wonder if my attenuator is just not working right. So far, I was able to get NBC-HD for like a splits second, so I know that I am on the right track. Do you think my attenuator is messed up?
post #187 of 212 Old 03-04-2004, 08:46 PM

Jeez - all this talk of 100% signal makes me very jealous.
Hitting 65 - 80% via OTA. Just not enough to get a solid signal, and no way I can squeeze a big antenna in my little apartment. Anyone got a magical solution?

Want good radio? www.kexp.org - where the music matters.
post #188 of 212 Old 03-05-2004, 05:47 AM

'Allo B.Z. !

I also live in a small flat.
Personally I've had great success with a Terk TV55 (got it "open-box" for $50 at Best Buy). My picture quality looks similar to that of my friends, with their (older)rooftop antenna.

Perhaps the key to my success with the Terk is the fact that, except for a tract of single story homes in the way, my antenna points nearly line-of-sight to the transmitter (across SF Bay towards the city).

All in all, the TV55 is the best fifty bucks I've invested yet in my system (upgrading my component cables gave a MUCH smaller return on investment)! :)

Best wishes!

-chas

Perfection is a path,
not a destination.
post #189 of 212 Old 03-05-2004, 11:08 AM

Anyone close to Naperville, IL bought the card or Fusion II? What is the strength of the OTA signals from the Chicago stations, with indoor or rooftop antenna?

Thanks in advance!!!
post #190 of 212 Old 03-06-2004, 02:16 AM

Record to HDD then compress files?????

I am almost ready to buy this card, but I do plan on recording HDTV shows. At 150 MB per minute, it will take 9 GB to record a hour long show. Couple questions:
- Can I use DivX encoder to encode the file? If so, can some one point to some thread show how to do this?
- Does this cause my hard drive to fail sooner (frequent access with write)?
- Any other tips on recording HDTV shows on HDD?

Thanks in advance.
post #191 of 212 Old 03-06-2004, 07:40 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally posted by ckportland
- Can I use DivX encoder to encode the file? If so, can some one point to some thread show how to do this?
- Does this cause my hard drive to fail sooner (frequent access with write)?
- Any other tips on recording HDTV shows on HDD?
- No, but you can use XviD, which is a free, open source codec that's just as good if not better than DivX. You could also use WMV9. Beware that this compressing is not exactly fast.
- No, it shouldn't.
- Try to have a dedicated hard drive, or at least a seperate partition for recording. Format it with NTFS and the largest cluster size available (I believe it's 64K).
post #192 of 212 Old 03-08-2004, 09:47 AM

Well, my Fusion arrived last week and after a fresh install of WinXP I settled down the past four evenings to "fish" the airwaves.

I'm impressed with the Fusion HDTV3, as it receives local off-air stations with higher signal strength than my RCA HDTV tuner. A few examples:

Thursday, CSI came through so clearly I could see the threads in the actors jacket. The sound was in Dolby 5.1, which was almost startling at the opening song.

Saturday, PBS aired a concert from the Royal Albert Hall (commemorating the anniversary of George Harrisons death), featuring Eric Clapton, Jeff Lynne, Paul McCartney, Tom Petty, Billy Preston, Monty Python, Anoushka Shankar, Ravi Shankar and Ringo Starr. It was a blast, and I wish now that I had recorded it!

Sunday, PBS HD ran an orchestrated video tour of Yosemite and two other National parks. The signal had frequent dropouts on my RCA HDTV, but remained steady with the Fusion3. I did record this, and the entire program used about 7.7GB of drive space (I use a separate, dynamic volume of 200GB that spans two hard drives, to avoid 'fragging' problems).

Overall, this $200 card has taken my little SFF HTPC "toaster" to the next level!

-chas

:D

Perfection is a path,
not a destination.
post #193 of 212 Old 03-11-2004, 09:12 AM

Got my Fusion HDTV3 Gold installed over the last couple of days. Much as I hate to admit it, my first trials resulted in the dreaded "stutter" problem well documented in the Fusion II threads.
Ended up re-installing as a Standard PC (probably should have done that in the first place). Initially tried to change over to a Standard PC, which worked except for the da#$ Nvidia IDE drivers, and after spending too much time trying to resolve this, just popped in the CD and re-installed.
Even after this, I still had some stutter (my experiences eerily echo many of those in the F II threads).
Anway, it appears that using DxVA acceleration, and rebooting after changing this, I am stutter free, or at least greatly reduced.
As most people above, I get many QAM channels with 100% signal (Comcast Dallas), but no video or audio. Not too greatly concerned about this at the moment, I just want to record some of my favorite HD OTA programs. As an added bonus, living in Dallas, our UPN station broadcasts the HDNet OTA during the day. Should be able to get some good demos there, as soon as I figure out how to get a schedule.
The EPG/TitanTV seems to be working ok for me, but have only tried it for one day. I had an overlap programmed, and it screwed up on the 2nd one, but now I have read to schedule the 2nd one first, then the first, or edit a file in the fusion folder and change the first one to 59 minutes.
Right now, I am not 100% impressed with the audio. I get static and breakups, although I haven't worked much on this yet, just got the stuttering hopefully resolved last night!
After that, I need to perfect the process of playing the captures back on the main HTPC (I have the F III installed in the office/lab, mainly for capture), so far all the normal ways seem to choke pretty badly, it appears to be bandwidth (ZP with Windvd filters across a 100M network), just started trying VLC, and although it seems a little buggy, it seems to work. Then, to master the conversion/archiving with WMV 9 or XVID or DVD.
So right now my rating is about an 8 of 10. Tonight is CSI night, so we will see how that goes!
post #194 of 212 Old 03-11-2004, 09:30 AM
AVS Addicted Member

â€Much as I hate to admit it, my first trials resulted in the dreaded "stutter" problem well documented in the Fusion II threads.â€

Yesterday I received a replacement for the first FusionHDTV III Gold card that was broken out of the box.

I noticed the video stutter also and after making some changes in the setup I’ve determined that the “Auto†deinterlacing mode is not working properly. I was getting really bad video stutter on 720p content and manually changing the deinterlacing mode to “None†fixed that problem. However, changing channels to an interlaced 1080i source caused bad combing on movement and had to manually switch back to “Bob†mode.

All this was done using DXVA decoding on a Radeon card (4x AGP) with a P4 2.8 GHz CPU. Pure software decoding was just bad regardless of the quality setting for 1080i. Using Bob mode and Radeon DXVA for 1080i resulted in so much vertical “jitter†that I had to pull my penis to cage my eyeballs.

I was able to detect 4 QAM channels on my Comcast cable, however none could be decoded.
post #195 of 212 Old 03-11-2004, 09:44 AM
dm
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally posted by Cliff Watson
[b] I had to pull my penis to cage my eyeballs.
Maybe DIVCO should update their manual to include this remindy in the troubleshooting section?
post #196 of 212 Old 03-11-2004, 09:49 AM

Probably should have mentioned my system too:

Newegg/Fry's special :-)
Athlon 2400+ Mobile Barton ~ 2.2 Ghz 11x200(~ XP 3200+)
DFI NForce2 Ultra
2x256M Corsair XMS 3200 DDR in Dual Channel mode
Sapphire 9800 Pro 8X AGP fast writes enabled
1x 250G Maxtor ATA133 Master/1x 250G WD ATA100 Slave
Older Delta Dio 24/96 (might try the Nforce2 sound this weekend just to see, if this audio static keeps bothering me)

Might try Cliff's procedure too :D

That's about all the relevant stuff, anyway, I built this system just to play, and I am playing!!
Thanks for the tip on the deinterlacing, haven't tried changing that yet. Here is Dallas, our ABC station is 1080i (believe it or not), but our Fox station shows 720p now! Go figure.

Oh, does anyone's Bandwidth indicator work? On the player module, I get the resolution (1080i, 720p, 480p, etc.), but get 0.0 on the bandwidth indicator. No real biggie, but sometimes people discuss the bandwidth with regards to multicasting. Our ABC and CBS both are doing the weather radar thing, the ABC one is "enhanced", looks kinda like CNN HN, with all the banners and forecasts.
post #197 of 212 Old 03-11-2004, 01:15 PM

If you want to check signal bandwidth, make a brief recording then open the file in HDTV2MPEG2 tool (Google for it). It shows the bandwidth in Mbps, with reasonable accuracy (which means I've seen it be obviously wrong before, otherwise it's spot-on ;) ).
post #198 of 212 Old 03-11-2004, 01:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ryangs
If you want to check signal bandwidth, make a brief recording then open the file in HDTV2MPEG2 tool (Google for it). It shows the bandwidth in Mbps, with reasonable accuracy (which means I've seen it be obviously wrong before, otherwise it's spot-on ;) ).
If it's wrong in HDTV2MPEG2 that means that data being transmitted by the station is also wrong.
post #199 of 212 Old 03-11-2004, 01:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I might try Cliff's procedure as well....and I don't even have a Fusion card! ;) :D
post #200 of 212 Old 03-11-2004, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Cliff Watson
If it's wrong in HDTV2MPEG2 that means that data being transmitted by the station is also wrong.
It wouldn't surprise me if that station is screwing something up with their signal. It's so bad that HDTV2MPEG2 refuses to work with recordings from it. No matter the output format I select, I just get a huge, empty file.
post #201 of 212 Old 03-11-2004, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by da_burl
On the player module, I get the resolution (1080i, 720p, 480p, etc.), but get 0.0 on the bandwidth indicator. No real biggie, but sometimes people discuss the bandwidth with regards to multicasting.
I was under the impression that that indicator only kicked in when recording analog. At least; that is my expierence with the software.
post #202 of 212 Old 03-12-2004, 05:10 AM

Well, that's the way it seems to work for me too. I am using HDTV2Mpeg already to cut and process the clips, so I can use that to determine the bandwidth, I suppose. It would be nice if the bandwidth indicator worked in some future release.
This little project has really brought back some memories of things I haven't really worried about too much in a few years, IRQ's, PCI slots, etc. Even after going to Standard PC, it turns out I was still sharing IRQ 10 between the Fusion III and the 9800 Pro, so I moved the Fusion to another slot, now it seems to be happy all by itself on IRQ 5. More rounds of recording tests, I suppose.
Another little tip, don't delete the entries in your Recording List, it deletes the files too. I thought it was just a record of what you have recorded, but it deleted the actual files also. Guess I should rename them after they are finished.
post #203 of 212 Old 03-17-2004, 12:04 AM

alright, well I guess I'm going to revive this thread to post a small update. So I never did sell my fusion3. I finally got a new CPU (Athlon 2400+) and after installing that I stuck my fusion back in. I still experienced the stutter when using DxVA mode. However, with my new CPU, I could do the non-DxVA mode. After switching to non-DxVA, my stuttering problems went away (so far...).

I then experienced the infamous "jitter" phenomenon. As some people mentioned, it wasn't really noticable in fast moving scenes, but it was especially noticable when you watched the station logos. I switched deinterlacing to software mode and that solved the jitter.

I guess all that remains to be seen is if I can run the fusion or GotTV software stably.

Samsung HLS4266W
post #204 of 212 Old 03-17-2004, 04:11 AM

Flashbacck:
If you haven't seen the older Fusion II threads, the stutter can be related to IRQ sharing. Check in Device Manager to see if the Fusion devices (there are about five of them!!) is sharing an interrupt with anything else. Actually its easier to do this in System Information.
Most people have to disable APIC in the bios and convert or reinstall Windows as a Standard PC, which is what I did.
I am jitter free, have made a few successful recordings, including The Green Mile Monday Night (27.4G!!)
I am now playing around with converting these to WMV9 or XVID, and also trying to figure out how to play the captures successfully on my main HTPC.
I thought I would be smart and install the Fusion in a dedicated capture/endoding machine, but haven't been able to play the tp/ts files successfully on the main HTPC yet, unfortunately.
There are at least two other threads going on these matters :-)
post #205 of 212 Old 03-17-2004, 10:50 AM

Da_Burl:
Buried somewhere in the previous posts of this thread, the details of my Fusion3/IRQ/Stuttering/ACPI/APIC experience are listed. The reason I posted in this thread is because this is where all my previous posts were. I just wanted to keep it centralized.

Samsung HLS4266W
post #206 of 212 Old 03-17-2004, 01:25 PM

Oops, sorry, I did get confused with all the threads on the Fusion going right now. Your experience is back on pg.'s 2 and 3 :-)
Sounds like you are getting happier with the Fusion, I know I am pretty happy with mine for now. The QAM/cable thing is a bit of a disappointment, but I wanted it primarily for OTA anyway, and I am getting this good, so it is doing what I want.
I believe I have seen the jitter thing, but only on NBC, The Tonight Show, so far.
Think I may have solved the ts playback thing too, that is in another thread :-)
post #207 of 212 Old 03-31-2004, 11:02 AM

Hi again,
I'm reviving this thread just to make a small update.

It annoyed me greatly that I wasn't able to use the DxVA decoder without stuttering. Non-DxVA mode works ok, but the quality isn't as good and CPU usage is really high (90%).

Anyway, I contacted Dvico and here's my correspondence:

To: HDTF
Subject: RE: Getting DxVA to work properly

Hi, thanks for the reply.
Only the 2.50.01 version has stutter. I reinstalled
the 2.00.00 Demo version and was able to playback the
recorded file with no stutter and with DxVA. However,
after reinstalling the demo version, 2.50.01 would not
function and I had to reinstall it.

Is there anyway to get the 2.00.00 video decoder to
function in 2.50.01?

Thanks,
Ed
-----------------
Dear Ed,

Our R&D changed the decoder engine for better compatibility since the
demo software. But during the change it seems that we become to have
some side effects.
We are applying significant change to the decoder engine and we think
your problem will be solved with this change. It seems it will take
about a month.
I am sorry for the wait.

Best Regards,
------

Samsung HLS4266W
post #208 of 212 Old 04-02-2004, 05:42 AM

I just received an email from fusion:

I noticed that your website discusses the QAM issues you are
currently having, and that you hope to have this resolved in coming
months:
a) Do you have a release date for the new hardware?

--- It will be sometime in May. But it's not for sure.
post #209 of 212 Old 04-02-2004, 03:08 PM

New hardware? Please tell me you meant new software? I just got my Fusion 3.
post #210 of 212 Old 04-02-2004, 03:24 PM
Advanced Member

There are a couple of "updates" expected from DViCo:
1 - H/W (yes, new H/W) to resolve certain QAM-256 tuning issues
2 - S/W to resolve the IRQ-conflict issues introduced post-2.0
Closed Thread Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version