FAQ: Connecting the Audigy 2 ZS to your receiver - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 220 Old 04-24-2004, 09:55 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Madpoet - sounds like you have the same problem with the card's AC3 decoder taking the 5.1 stream, decoding it and then only passing front left/right through the spdif. Poke around the control panel for the card until you find mention of AC3 or dolby-digital and then make sure to disable it. Also make sure your DVD player is set to output to spdif. (If you don't disable AC3 decoding in the Audigy's control panels, it acts like a "virtual sp-dif" which over-rides the real sp-dif port and intercepts the AC3 stream and decodes it for analog output, but the real sp-dif carries a copy of the front L/R (in stereo-PCM) output that is also being sent to the front L/R analog outs, which you probably don't have connected).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 220 Old 04-24-2004, 01:49 PM
AVS Club Gold

Ahhh..... I will definately have to take a look. Many thanks.

-MP

Someday maybe I'll actually WATCH my projector...
post #33 of 220 Old 04-24-2004, 02:21 PM

Im not sure that Im getting this yet. If I use a mono minijack to RCA connector then connect and RCA cable to it, where do I connect it to my reciever (Denon 3803)? How can you get surround sound or even stereo from one RCA connection?
post #34 of 220 Old 04-24-2004, 03:26 PM
AVS Club Gold

You connect it to a digital coax in on your 3803. It passes a digital signal which the 3803 translates to the appropriate sound type.

-MP

post #35 of 220 Old 04-24-2004, 05:06 PM

I get it thanks!
post #36 of 220 Old 04-24-2004, 05:26 PM
AVS Club Gold

Ok, still having problems. I have the latest version of the Audigy control panel. I disabled CMS, and have effects set to off. I can't find any settings for EAX or Pro Logic .

In TT, I tried a couple things. If I set it to SPDIF, then when I play a 5.1 track I only get front left and right (which seems to indicate the problem you said above). If I set it to Dolby Pro Logic, then it plays the track but I lose some of what I feel like I should have in the surround. So, I'm mightily confused. Any advice?

-MP

post #37 of 220 Old 04-26-2004, 09:22 AM
AVS Club Gold

I can't find anywhere to disable AC3 decoding... can someone point me to it?

Thanks,
MP

post #38 of 220 Old 04-26-2004, 01:53 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

madpoet, I think it is in AudioHQ. Do you have that installed?
post #39 of 220 Old 04-26-2004, 05:50 PM
AVS Club Gold

Yeah, I found it. I keep forgetting that the applet is there

post #40 of 220 Old 04-27-2004, 07:24 AM

I have an old AC3 decoder from the laser disc era and I was wondering if I connected my rca out into the decoder if I could get better luck with DD5.1 games. Anyone know if it would make a difference?
post #41 of 220 Old 05-04-2004, 01:20 AM

soo.. if you have your soundcard's SPDIF output hooked up to your receiver, (and AC-3 decode turned off) should you be hearing anything out of your center, and rear speakers when doing a "Test" in AudioHQ?

I've tried this over and over through the years, using different sound cards (all from creative), computers and receivers, it's always stumped me..
post #42 of 220 Old 05-04-2004, 09:47 AM

Groovadelic --> The only sounds coming from the test should be from the left and right channels, since the test only sends out analog signals. As an S/PDIF connection produces left and right channel "analog" signals already, you can hear those fine.

The rest -- nope. However, for example, if you connected your rear speakers directly to your sound card, you WOULD be able to hear the rear channels during the test.
post #43 of 220 Old 05-04-2004, 10:13 AM

Thanks, yeah, reading through the threads I realized I'll need to hook up analog output in addition to the SPDIF out
Thanks for the reply
post #44 of 220 Old 05-04-2004, 11:01 AM

I think I have this setup correctly, but I'm not getting a Dolby digital signal in/out of my receiver for .ts file playback. My receiver display changes on a digital signal indicating thats it's Dolby Digital or DTS.

Does Theatertek play .ts files?

If not, does anyone know of a player that will play .ts files and output the AC-3 audio correctly via my Audigy2 ZS spdif jack?

Thanks in advance
post #45 of 220 Old 05-07-2004, 07:55 AM

Liked: 16
Are there any soundcards available that will encode all windows audio into 5.1? That way the spdif and optical connections will play surround sound in the same manner as connecting the analog cables for Fr/l, Rr/l, C/S...

If none are out now, in which generation of soundblaster cards will this feature finally be implemented?
post #46 of 220 Old 05-24-2004, 07:32 AM

how about 4-pole mini-plug to a single coax?

I get digital front R/L when using the Y-cable and left RCA.

I get digital rear R/L when using the Y-cable and right RCA.

I suspect that I would get center/sub if using the video RCA off a 4-pole to 3 RCA adapter.

(thats all using the speaker test, so I suspect that EAX games would be properly encoded too)

Can all 3 digital channels be combined for COAX input to my receiver?
post #47 of 220 Old 05-24-2004, 07:35 AM

BTW, I am using the Digital Out from a SBLive 5.1 card.
post #48 of 220 Old 05-28-2004, 12:54 PM

I could not get analog to work either. The problem was
with my av receiver setting. I was showing the input was digital and
It would light up dolby surround. I change the to setting to not digital
(of course no lights come on the av receiver) and I have the full sound.
Hope this helps.
post #49 of 220 Old 05-29-2004, 08:20 PM
saq

regarding the nforce soundstorm, you can make it encode anything on the fly to dd 5.1 spec. Now, not everything has the appropriate channels (like center) I have a few mp3's that don't have a center channel, but have surrounds with no problems.
All games get encoded into 5.1 on the fly, it is truely amazing.
post #50 of 220 Old 05-29-2004, 08:50 PM

Liked: 93
"Are there any soundcards available that will encode all windows audio into 5.1?"

the newest version of AC3filter should allow you to transcode 6-channel WMA to DD5.1. this should be able to be done on any card.
post #51 of 220 Old 06-01-2004, 01:34 PM
Wireless member

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 156
I am just now addressing this issue of hooking my Audigy 2 ZS to my RDC-7 pre/pro. Fortunately, it has a multi-channel input. Unfortunately, it has been a chore to find the "4-pole" 3.5mm to three RCA plugs required by the ZS. The lamers at CL are out of stock and don't have a clue as to when they'd be resupplied. At that point, i turned to this wonderful resource.

In reviewing this thread I discover two links to this elusive animal. One at PC Cables and one at Radio Shack. As nobody has complained about these not fitting, may I assume that two of them fit side by side on the back of the Audigy?

It's a shame to have a soundcard with what seems to be audiophile sampling rates and word length DACs and then to run the signal through what is actually an A/V (stereo & composite video) patch cord.

Has anybody found an audiophile version on which I can spend an obsene amount of money and have piece of mind?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- it's never done!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #52 of 220 Old 06-01-2004, 04:18 PM
Wireless member

bump

- it's never done!

post #53 of 220 Old 06-25-2004, 06:57 AM

I have an Audigy 2 zs running digital out through mini-RCA adapter to digital coax to receiver. However, I dont seem to be getting true DD5.1 sound -at least from DD5.1 games. I have disabled the encoding on the card (this is what is recommended, but shouldnt be necessary- as coax in from encoded component DVD player works fine for DD5.1 and DTS). My receiver shows incoming signal from games such as Far Cry (5.1) as ProLogic source. What gives? I dont have DVD-rom in my PC, so cant pop in movie and try that.

Unfortunately, receiver is about 20' from my PC, so I was hoping to just run a single cable (digital). But, sounds like I ought to hook up the analog tangle of wires though... yes? As this will allow use of all speakers- for games, mp3s, etc...

Main use for my setup will be gaming. Does EAX and HD simulate multichannel? (i.e. hear stuff behind- and around you?) - this requires analog, as i understand it.

btw- receiver is Panasonic saxr10 (til i get a real one...)

thx for comments
post #54 of 220 Old 06-25-2004, 07:43 AM

Liked: 93
yes, to get *real* multichannel gaming sound off an Audigy, you need to run the analog cables. SPDIF will only give you 2 channel PCM since the Audigy does not contain a realtime DD encoder.
post #55 of 220 Old 06-25-2004, 07:51 AM
Wireless member

I can comment on your last issue. If I didn't play games, I'd have an M-Audio soundcard. However, I DO play games - and I want the surround environment that the creators incorporate. For that, one needs a Creative Labs card. I chose the 2 ZS because I have a 7.1 surround system. The Audigy has all the latest versions of all the popular surround schemes. It will decode DD5.1, but it's the EAX, specifically, that I wanted. The card decodes it and outputs it in analog, hence the need for the multi-channel 1/8" mini to RCA phono plugs. I use ones from Radio Shack - their A/V camera cable.

Quote:

Originally posted by TheGloucesterman
I have an Audigy 2 zs running digital out through mini-RCA adapter to digital coax to receiver. However, I dont seem to be getting true DD5.1 sound -at least from DD5.1 games. I have disabled the encoding on the card (this is what is recommended, but shouldnt be necessary- as coax in from encoded component DVD player works fine for DD5.1 and DTS). My receiver shows incoming signal from games such as Far Cry (5.1) as ProLogic source. What gives? I dont have DVD-rom in my PC, so cant pop in movie and try that.

Unfortunately, receiver is about 20' from my PC, so I was hoping to just run a single cable (digital). But, sounds like I ought to hook up the analog tangle of wires though... yes? As this will allow use of all speakers- for games, mp3s, etc...

Main use for my setup will be gaming. Does EAX and HD simulate multichannel? (i.e. hear stuff behind- and around you?) - this requires analog, as i understand it.

btw- receiver is Panasonic saxr10 (til i get a real one...)

thx for comments

- it's never done!

post #56 of 220 Old 06-25-2004, 08:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Just to note I am not having a problem getting the sub to kick in in either digital or analog mode like some have described above.

When you do your speaker sound tests does it send the signal to your bass? There series of drivers/apps are a bit daunting and they like to change on their own sometime. That would be honestly my only negative with the card.
post #57 of 220 Old 06-25-2004, 08:19 AM
Wireless member

Quote:

Originally posted by HorrorScope
Just to note I am not having a problem getting the sub to kick in in either digital or analog mode like some have described above.

When you do your speaker sound tests does it send the signal to your bass? There series of drivers/apps are a bit daunting and they like to change on their own sometime. That would be honestly my only negative with the card.

Yes, signal is outputted on the subwoofer channel during speaker level testing.

- it's never done!

post #58 of 220 Old 06-25-2004, 08:57 AM

Has anyone had luck using an I/O daughtercard? I hooked up my old sblive 5.1 I/O daughtercard to my Audigy2, since I didn't have a mini/rca cable. Not getting any sound out of the coax spdif. I guess I'll have to stop by ratshack on the way home and get the correct cable.

And can someone clarify the using the mini to stereo rca cables for analog thing for me, as far as what rca goes where in the receiver? I'm sure for the front & rear channels, its pretty straight forward (the white rca from the front output will go in the FL input on the receiver, and the red will go in FR, and same with the rear). But what about the rest? how do the center, rear center, and subwoofer work?
post #59 of 220 Old 06-25-2004, 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by pepar
I can comment on your last issue. If I didn't play games, I'd have an M-Audio soundcard. However, I DO play games - and I want the surround environment that the creators incorporate. For that, one needs a Creative Labs card. I chose the 2 ZS because I have a 7.1 surround system. The Audigy has all the latest versions of all the popular surround schemes. It will decode DD5.1, but it's the EAX, specifically, that I wanted. The card decodes it and outputs it in analog, hence the need for the multi-channel 1/8" mini to RCA phono plugs. I use ones from Radio Shack - their A/V camera cable.

thanks- Another quick question:

I have to run cables about 20' to my receiver. For a 5.1 connection -correct me if i am wrong- I would need 3 3-pole miniplug to RCA Y-adapters and 6 20' rca (male to male) cables... girlfriend is gonna love that!

Btw- how does the signal split up into the individual rca cables? does this take some playing with to make sure rear left to rear left, etc.?
post #60 of 220 Old 06-25-2004, 09:26 AM

yeah, what he said.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page