Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 4139 Old 08-18-2004, 07:55 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

Originally posted by rscultho
I recently received a new HDTV Wonder card and tried to install it. I have XP Professional, SOYO DRagon Ultra platinum MB, 1 gig PC3200 RAM, ATI 9600 card.

Put the card in a PCI slot, tried to install the software. The card apparently installed the drivers, because under device manager and sound, video and audio controllers all teh capture devices whow installed and working properly.

But, when the software installs from the CD, the WDM drivers will not install - I get a "instruction cannot be read" error. Install proceeds and Authorscript will not install because it says it can't detect the card in my system??????

When I run a PC systems check, it cannot detect the card in my system, says my Direct X drivers are not correct (I have 9.oc installed) and (of course) says my WDM drivers are not installed (nothing in registry, etc).

I've tried physicall removing the card and the software and reinstalling and I get the same problem. Thinking about removing card and restoring system to before initial card install and trying again.

Anybody have a clue as to why the card appears to be installed when viewing in Device Manager, but the sofwtare will not detect the card?

Many thanks

I actually have a problem very close to this...

I first installed the card with no problem. I could vew DTV without a hitch, but the normal TV viewer did not work, and an error message would come up every time I launched the DTV player (same error message popped up 8 times in a row). So I uninstalled and reinstalled the software. Then nothing would launch. I was on the phone with tech support for an hour.

So, I reformatted my hard drive, reinstalled windows and reinstalled the card. Now the TV player works, but the DTV player still will not launch. Same error messages about having a bad version of directx (I have 9.0b) and the wdm drivers not installed.

I am getting extremely frustated, especially since I had it running at first...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 4139 Old 08-18-2004, 08:34 AM

I have a nVidia FX5200 8X AGP DX9 video card. Will it work with HDTV Wonder?

Thanks
post #363 of 4139 Old 08-18-2004, 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by cdcooker
I have a nVidia FX5200 8X AGP DX9 video card. Will it work with HDTV Wonder?

Thanks

i doubt that it would work because its an nvidia card. the hdtv wonder seems to favor only ati 9500+ cards.
post #364 of 4139 Old 08-18-2004, 10:07 AM

cebuster said: "All the cable channels above channel 20 will become black and white only from time to time. I have to flip through different channels many times to get the color back."

I have the same problem. I'm surprised that we're apparently the only two. The tuner is not properly tuning these channels; it ends up tuned off frequency slightly. I hope this issue can be, and is, fixed in software!

See my antique radio collection at Radiophile.com
post #365 of 4139 Old 08-18-2004, 10:12 AM

I couldn't get HDTV wonder to work with 5200 FX. This is on a virgin DELL system, come on if it doesn't work here where will it work?

I caved and got a Gigabyte ati 9550 card and it is now working.

I have black bars all around the HD channel that broadcast 4:3, how do I get rid of these?

I am getting most channels. I only get AUDIO on PBS and WB. signal strength is 80-90%. what gives?

I saw some error message about WDM when I installed, but DTV and analog TV seems to be working.

One last question - how do I get analog TV and DTV with one antenna? I tried a splitter and an amplified antenna, I have to fiddle with it when ever I change from DTV to analog.
post #366 of 4139 Old 08-18-2004, 12:13 PM

I had the same problem as rscultho and rbf2000 with the complaints of no wdm drivers and bad version of directx. I resolved it by completely uninstalling the ATI software from my machine, and only using the drivers from the included installation CD.

I just tried to dig up the link that I followed for purging ATI from your system but I failed... I do remember that the de-install involved things such as:

- using the ati uninstaller utility
- using a freeware utility to remove ati registry entries
- finding and (selectively) deleting ati*.* files
- using another freeware utility to remove ati drivers from the Windows XP cab stores so it wouldn't go reinstall them upon restart.

Then I just went back to the ATI CD, did a custom install but didn't change any checkboxes, and I was good to go.

Hope that helps. Good luck.
post #367 of 4139 Old 08-18-2004, 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by cebuster
I got my ATI HDTV wonder card 2 weeks ago and had quite a few issues
with the mmc software. First of all, my local KGO-DT and KRON-DT was not
picked up. The software somehow thinks KGO-DT which boradcasts in 720p
was in 480i and refuses to properly display anything.

Btw: I use an ATI 9800 Pro 128 with this card.

I have the same KGO-DT problem when using a Radeon 9600. I can only see about the top left quarter of the image, and what I can see doesn't look HD. I guess we'll have to cross our fingers and hope the next version of MMC fixes this.

All the other channels that I can pick up (including KRON-DT; FWIW I'm in Mtn View) look fine in full screen.

I would note that I have another strange problem that the DTV application doesn't get the aspect ratio quite right when not in fullscreen 1280x720 i.e. "windowed mode". When not in full screen 16:9 looks more like 2:1, etc. I don't seem to have the problem when on another display using 1024x768. It's not that annoying as I tend to leave things in full screen. Again, hopefully a fix will come in the next release.
post #368 of 4139 Old 08-18-2004, 12:31 PM

Has anyone figured out to manually tune the DTV channels? I have to rotate my antenna to catch all the stations and autoscan doesn't get all the channels in any given antenna position.

I guess even a re-autoscan would work if it didn't clear out the channel list first.

(yes, this is the same poster as the previous two subtopics...)
post #369 of 4139 Old 08-18-2004, 01:26 PM

My Satellite STB viewed thru the S-video in on this card is about as good as can be expected considering that it has to go thru another MPEG2 encode/decode. However, when I paused this input last nite, I lost the audio.

All-in-all, if ATI gets the audio stutter fixed on DTV and the audio loss glitch fixed on analog TV, I will be fairly pleased with this card. The software needs some enhancements though... such as the ability to manually add DTV stations, adjust the skip ahead/back increment, shorten the autohide timer on the ATI control box, etc.

I also noticed that when I watch DTV in a window that it is clearly stretched horizontally on my Sammy DLP even though it is supposed to be the same aspect ratio as when in fullscreen. Anyone else seeing this?

Will work for HTPC components.
post #370 of 4139 Old 08-18-2004, 02:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Radiophile
cebuster said: "All the cable channels above channel 20 will become black and white only from time to time. I have to flip through different channels many times to get the color back."

I have the same problem. I'm surprised that we're apparently the only two. The tuner is not properly tuning these channels; it ends up tuned off frequency slightly. I hope this issue can be, and is, fixed in software!

Yes I see this same problem also. I get the black and white stations. I will ask over at the rage3d site if there is anything ATI can do about this.
post #371 of 4139 Old 08-18-2004, 02:04 PM

Quote:

Just got mine yesterday from CompUSA.

I prefer not to deal with CompUSA. CompUSA has a 15% Restocking fee on all returns unless you exchange it for the same product. To me, that completely defeats the purpose of buying locally.

I want to be able to return a product if I don't like it or if it doesn't work properly. Unfortunatley with the posts in this thread I don't think I want to risk it

I'm hoping BestBuy/Circuit City carry it soon. It would really be great for ATI, and High Definition in general, if this product went mainstream.
post #372 of 4139 Old 08-18-2004, 02:07 PM

"I would note that I have another strange problem that the DTV application doesn't get the aspect ratio quite right when not in fullscreen 1280x720 i.e. "windowed mode". When not in full screen 16:9 looks more like 2:1, etc"

jyung - yes, I have noticed this same problem.

Also like jyung, when I installed my software, I used the custom install option but did not uncheck any boxes and the software all installed without any problems. I would advise new buyers to avoid the express install option for now.

As for manually adding channels, surely there is a file somewhere that is created by an autoscan that can be edited. I will look when i get a chance. If anyone talks to tech support, please ask about this.

post #373 of 4139 Old 08-18-2004, 03:09 PM

Ay Guys,

Long time no post but heres the deal. Had the TV Wonder VE and it worked fine for my Tivo and general analog but when heard the HDTV Wonder was out had to get it, so did so.

The first day I got it I installed it and it worked beautifully. The reception was dodgy (out in the woods) but if tuned just right I was allowed to bask in the Olympics glory (friggin awesome) . However I figured, what the heck, might as well get one of those Radio Shack 15-1880 Amplified's since the roof antenna oddly got only one hd channel.

Went down got it and set er up and got a few more channels . Problem though. The next day I had to reinstall the software and even after multiple reformats with any antenna the DTV is just null on the reception. Not a dang thing anytime of the day. Black screen. I tried everything software and hardware wise. The analog ntsc connector still works fine but as far as things go the dtv seems dead?

Is this a picky software issue or is my car fried (note: I'm anti the labeling of units as "fried" most of the time but this is my exception).

Let me know, also any expected date on the new drivers.

- Digitalpcht

Reality is a crutch for people who can't cope with drugs.

- Lily Tomlin
post #374 of 4139 Old 08-19-2004, 08:29 AM

I'm in a holding pattern right now on this card. The audio issues are just too annoying. I hope that the new drivers are released tomorrow as rumored. I still think that the card has great potential.

post #375 of 4139 Old 08-19-2004, 11:01 AM
AVS Special Member

I thought this was an appropriate place rather than a seperate thread...

ATI to push sales of HDTV Wonder card - http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20040819A7037.html

Failure is not an option. It comes bundled with every Microsoft product
post #376 of 4139 Old 08-19-2004, 12:21 PM

Quote:

ATI Technologies is gearing up to push sales of its HDTV Wonder TV tuner card, according to sources at Taiwan graphics card makers.

So what exactly does this mean?

-Does this mean we'll see HDTV Wonders under the label of other companies? IE Like an Asus/Sapphire/etc versions?
-Does this mean we will see the HDTV wonder in Retail Stores?
-Does this mean we'll see the HDTV wonder sold in other markets - Taiwan, China, Japan.

I doubt the third as it'd require a different build(They don't use ATSC/NTSC outside the US).

I'm hoping we see the HDTV wonder in retail stores.
post #377 of 4139 Old 08-19-2004, 12:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
digitalpcht:
I ran in ot a similar issue in my review of the card. It turns out the folder that the time shifting is held in became corrupt and when I changed drives it solved the prblem of DTV just being black. Give this a try and see if it helps
post #378 of 4139 Old 08-19-2004, 12:46 PM
AVS Club Gold

I wish they'd just make it work right myself... but that seems to be too much to hope for these days with the newer HD cards.

Someday maybe I'll actually WATCH my projector...
post #379 of 4139 Old 08-19-2004, 02:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Nosfentaru
I doubt the third as it'd require a different build(They don't use ATSC/NTSC outside the US).

Just regarding ATSC:
http://www.dvb.org/graphics/internal..._July_2004.jpg
Don't forget the little green country on the right of the map, where they just happen to make the chips.
post #380 of 4139 Old 08-19-2004, 03:34 PM

Well after moving all my cards around and stripping out the drivers for my video card and moving all the pci cards around not just the one like before. It started to work again . Way better reception as well. Depending on the location of the antenna I'm getting about 20+ channels (including reps and subs). Problem is it works fine sometimes with 3 bars or so and other times with 5 bars it stutters like a madman.
Also I tried backing up the registry keys for the channel configurations because of autoscans replacement method and found this to be a fruitless effort as the software seems to reject the basic remerging of custom reg channel lists.
Hopefully they will fix the channel tuning scheme and some of these audio issues but for now I'm fairly content with the card. With this tuning though thank god that my Tivo is stand alone .

Thanks for all your help guys, lets hope they pump out some fixes .

- Digitalpcht

PS: If you ever saw the Married With Children episode with the whole Fox view positions thing you'd understand how I looked standing on a chair holding the hd antenna trying to tune in a show.

Reality is a crutch for people who can't cope with drugs.

- Lily Tomlin
post #381 of 4139 Old 08-19-2004, 03:38 PM

I just purchased a HDTV wonder and spent the last two days trying to install it. At first I thought it might be the NForce2 based boards I was trying it in but I still got the CHOPPY reception. I was pairing it with a Sapphire Atlantis Radeon 9600 256MB AGP card which seemed to be a good match.

I was about to return the HDTV Wonder since it was unwatchable but decided to do one last test. I have a ATI Radeon 9700 128MB card in my desktop system so I decided to pair it with the HDTV Wonder. I put it in the exact same system that wasn't working properly with the 9600 and guess what?

IT WORKS! What the heck?!

I didn't even reinstall the drivers or any of the apps. CPU utilization is around 20% which is normal from what I hear. I quickly put the 9600 back and CPU utilization jumps to 90-100%. I then put the 9700 back and then the CPU utilization drops to 20%. I can now watch/record/playback HDTV. I have e-mailed ATI Tech Support regarding this as it doesn't make any sense to me. However, I thought some of you might want to know that the slightly older and more expensive Radeon 9700 seems to work fine.

All of the bundled software is crap. It's just atrocious. It's obviously cobbled together and lacking polish. I hate how companies feel like they need to create new interfaces which are cryptic at best. I would prefer they use simple Windows conventions and interfaces. It's just very disjointed. I do hope they address this in the very near future.

I have noticed that it seems that the card doesn't pick up 720p broadcasts. I live in the Los Angeles, CA (the west side) and get strong signals from ABC, CBS, NBC, KTTV (FOX), KTLA and a bunch of local stations. They're a mix of SDTV, 1080i and one 720p station (ABC). ABC's 720p station doesn't show up at all. I hear sound but don't see a picture. NBC's HDTV broadcast of the Olympics is pretty amazing though...it might be worth keeping the HDTV Wonder for that alone. It's almost impossible for me to watch the regular broadcasts now...
post #382 of 4139 Old 08-19-2004, 04:02 PM

Well, I got one to try and failed to notice that it wasn't a QAM tuner... So can't scan the Cable signal to get the HiDef channels. Also, found that the HD channels have to be watched with a different software than the standard analog channels.

Cip
:D
post #383 of 4139 Old 08-19-2004, 04:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by scottb4u
The PIP functionality does not work with the HDTV card at this time. It will be activated in another upgrade of the MMC.

It now works with MMC 9.02, an upgrade for all MMC 9.0x users, whether you have HDTV Wonder or not. It's available from ATI's Web Site.
post #384 of 4139 Old 08-19-2004, 05:42 PM

I have already downloaded them and installed them.
All seems well for me.
post #385 of 4139 Old 08-19-2004, 06:15 PM

Has anyone bought one of these from buy.com? If so, how long did it take to get it?

I put my order in last saturday and my order status still shows "sent to warehouse". They show it in stock and that it usually ships in 1 to 2 days. Yeah right.

I have tried emailing them but only get the canned response. Not a very good way to run a business.
post #386 of 4139 Old 08-19-2004, 06:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I think it took just over 2 weeks for me to receive mine, from buy.com. I might swallow hard and try an installation this weekend, but it may have to wait another week.

Reunite Pangea!
post #387 of 4139 Old 08-19-2004, 06:31 PM

Was it in stock when you ordered it or was it a pre-order?

Their website says computer hardware usually ships the same day if in stock and ordered before 4PM eastern.

It showed in stock when I ordered and it still does.

If they would at least answer my emails I MIGHT feel a bit better. But since they haven't I would have to recommed to everyone to look elsewhere for their computer needs.
post #388 of 4139 Old 08-19-2004, 06:59 PM

Dean,
You pretty much hit the nail on the head as to why I typically shy away from buy.com for my online purchases. Your experience is pretty typical of what I an many others I know have had. You'd probably get it faster if you just cancelled that order and ordered from Amazon or better yet newegg, I just checked and newegg lists in-stock.
post #389 of 4139 Old 08-19-2004, 07:08 PM

yea, buy has a really shady business. just look at their resellerratings. also, compu-plus has a similar reputation. steer away from those places if you plan on getting this card asap. i would recommend either amazon, newegg, or directron for anyone looking to buy this card. if their site says its in stock, its in stock and ready to be ship.
post #390 of 4139 Old 08-19-2004, 07:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Took me just about 4 weeks to get my HDTV wonder from buy.com, apparently they just received a new shipment of cards a week ago but I think those were to fill all the back orders they have. During my wait the status page said sent to warehouse for two weeks then changed to on order till it was shipped. I wouldn't recommend them.

Xbox Live- DragonsLee

"I'm not in this world to live up to your expectations and you're not in this world to live up to mine." - Bruce Lee
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page