ATI HDTV Wonder - Page 138 - AVS Forum
First ... 136  137  138
Home Theater Computers > ATI HDTV Wonder
Asamp's Avatar Asamp 10:16 AM 11-02-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim5506 View Post

I just installed my old ATI HDTV Wonder card on a Dell Optiplex 755, Intel Core 2 DUO CPU, XP SP3, ATI Radeon HD 2400 Pro video card.

Analog TV works fine and Digital works on 480i channels but 720p and 1080i channels I only get audio, video is black.

Just installed the latest Catalyst drivers from AMD website (94_XP32_dd_CC_wdm_enu.exe).

Any Ideas?

How much memory do you have?

navychop's Avatar navychop 07:51 PM 11-02-2009
Sadly, soon I will put my two ATI HDTV Wonder cards out to pasture. Moving to Windows 7 and PCs with different available slots. Good while it lasted, for the most part.

Haven't used it in months, just tried it again. Had to rescan to get digitals (missed a few), which it had lost. Guide had a full slate of current data (after dl) for analog stations, which don't exist anymore. Simply no digital guide data; no big surprise.
hakujin's Avatar hakujin 02:10 PM 11-16-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by navychop View Post

Sadly, soon I will put my two ATI HDTV Wonder cards out to pasture. Moving to Windows 7 and PCs with different available slots. Good while it lasted, for the most part.

Haven't used it in months, just tried it again. Had to rescan to get digitals (missed a few), which it had lost. Guide had a full slate of current data (after dl) for analog stations, which don't exist anymore. Simply no digital guide data; no big surprise.

Well... for me, the analog capture is still an issue (talked about it 8 pages back) but as far as using this card for OTA HDTV, it has worked flawlessly for years in MCE 2005. MMC is crap for sure though. I would definitely go with MCE if I were you. I think I've always had guide data headaches, whether MMC (titan TV) or Media Portal. The only complete zero config solution has been to this day, MCE 2005. And w/ DVRMSToolbox removing commercials, I can't imagine any better or tidier of a broadcast TV solution, unless I had a card that captured HD OTA, QAM (encrypted & unencrypted).
hakujin's Avatar hakujin 02:20 PM 11-16-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShannonG311 View Post

Help is in order since we are fresh out of options, patience, and sanity... Here is what we are working with..

Motherboard manufacturer's name: ECS RC410-M
HP/Compaq name: Alhena-GL6 (out of a HP A1410Y)

Radeon HD 4670 1G ddr3 PSIE 2.0
2GB PC2-4200
2 - 250GB HDD
1 - 500GB HDD
1 - 1 TB HDD
ATI HDTV Wonder Card
SB Audigy Platinum

The issue we are having is getting the error "Unable to start TV" when attempting to use the Analog TV, the DTV however works, we have the drivers v. 3.0.83.2022 and v. 3.0.83.2036 installed. And we have used MMC 9.04 and 9.08 nothing seems to work. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Well, today is full of ironies for me. not only did I come upon a page on this thread by happenstance (which led to my 2006 post on the same topic) but I'm also quite familiar with your problem. Yesterday, i began trying to get analog video capture to work again (TV in MMC 9.04 or DTV in MMC 9.06). Ultimately, I gave up on 9.06 because of this unable to start problem. I religiously removed everything 100x and tried different variations.

In order to get rid of that specific problem net stop ehrecvr from run did the trick as MCE doesn't play nicely with MMC. Even then, I would not get any video in TV composite input. Interestingly enough changing between NTSC and NTSC-J would give me a glimpse that it would work. Audio was fine, no vid.Then, after going to remove ATI decoder (but choosing modify which seemingly invokes reinstall) problem - whooosh. Audio and video capture work with MMC utility. Then reboot and gone again!

I've also read terminal services must be off and so I have that disable again.

The MMC install so convoluted; my results equally as misleading; no science just a hit or miss affair. I've concluded that MMC is a steaming pile of crap that a 15 year old wouldn't attach to their resume if they were smart and would quit trying to get consistent results with A/V analog capture if I hadn't already invested so much time equity. I don't even have any analog devices anymore! But I thought it'd be cool to un-mothball that dongle in the event I picked up a cable tuner and wanted stream Justin.tv, lol.

But I must say, digital HDTV in MCE has been flawless for years. With GPU decoding of MPEG2, it's no different to a hardware decoding capture card in my book.

[sigh]... the plight continues...
speedfrk's Avatar speedfrk 03:21 PM 11-16-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by navychop View Post

Too bad you don't have the pci slots for them. They work perfect for OTA HD in win7.
Big_D_STeve's Avatar Big_D_STeve 06:28 PM 11-16-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedfrk View Post

Too bad you don't have the pci slots for them. They work perfect for OTA HD in win7.

Does windows 7 automatically find and load the drivers for the ATI HDTV Wonder?
t30t28t16t12's Avatar t30t28t16t12 07:37 PM 11-16-2009
Yes but if it missed some drivers, manually rescan it online.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_D_STeve View Post

Does windows 7 automatically find and load the drivers for the ATI HDTV Wonder?

hakujin's Avatar hakujin 05:41 PM 11-18-2009
Quote:

Until you go to standby from what I hear. if that's the case, this is a no-go for me as I heavily use S3 - Suspend to RAM on my rig.

It seems win 7 is sketchy on other frongs as well for this card. see thread here (which btw I posted to last)

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1107312

I'm curious... Are you running 32 or 64 bit? I'd love to keep this card when I upgrade my hardware and migrate to win7 as nothing newer really seems compelling to me for the simple task of recording OTA, and built in hw decoding seems redundant in the age of DXVA/II, but these problems I've read about concern me.
John Tangor's Avatar John Tangor 06:59 AM 11-20-2009
Heyas,

Noob here. I've been googling and searching for a few days, since I bought this USB device in hopes of capturing an HDTV signal from my Bell ExpressVu service here in Canada.

Unfortunately, the Bell receiver doesn't have coax output, so the best it seems I could do is an analog signal input to the ATI device (haven't given up on the HD yet). It sounds like I need a device with an IR blaster to get it to work with satellite service, but then I would still have an issue with the output from the receiver. Bell support said that there is nothing that can be done in Canada because the rules are different than in the US.

Has anyone from Canada been able to use a pctv tuner with Bell ExpressVu to capture/stream HD with Vista or Windows 7 Media Center? If so, what equipment and procedure did you use?

Thanks much!
JT
speedfrk's Avatar speedfrk 06:20 PM 11-20-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by hakujin View Post

Until you go to standby from what I hear. if that's the case, this is a no-go for me as I heavily use S3 - Suspend to RAM on my rig.

It seems win 7 is sketchy on other frongs as well for this card. see thread here (which btw I posted to last)

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1107312

I'm curious... Are you running 32 or 64 bit? I'd love to keep this card when I upgrade my hardware and migrate to win7 as nothing newer really seems compelling to me for the simple task of recording OTA, and built in hw decoding seems redundant in the age of DXVA/II, but these problems I've read about concern me.

I'm using win7 32bit.
hakujin's Avatar hakujin 10:58 AM 11-23-2009
Quote:

I'm using win7 32bit.

so no go on 64 bit, and maybe no standby on win7 32 bit. Too much of a compromise for me to keep the card if I go Win 7. That sucks...

BTW, analog capture is broke again on my MCE box, after the ATI cyberlink codec jacked up my directshow filter merits. I'm not even going to bother with it again. ATI MMC (TV), extremely sketchy in MCE 2005 XP.
speedfrk's Avatar speedfrk 01:39 PM 11-23-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by hakujin View Post

so no go on 64 bit, and maybe no standby on win7 32 bit. Too much of a compromise for me to keep the card if I go Win 7. That sucks...

BTW, analog capture is broke again on my MCE box, after the ATI cyberlink codec jacked up my directshow filter merits. I'm not even going to bother with it again. ATI MMC (TV), extremely sketchy in MCE 2005 XP.

Some people have got it to work on win 7 64, I haven't even tried. I suspect that the card not waking up after standby could be related to the ati scheduler not being installed in win 7 (it is usually part of MMC).
If you decide to sell yours, let me know. All I watch is OTA HD and these cards are great for that.
hakujin's Avatar hakujin 12:42 AM 11-30-2009
Quote:

Some people have got it to work on win 7 64, I haven't even tried. I suspect that the card not waking up after standby could be related to the ati scheduler not being installed in win 7 (it is usually part of MMC).
If you decide to sell yours, let me know. All I watch is OTA HD and these cards are great for that.

that's all i want it for in win 7 64 too. but I don't run mmc, just card drivers and I resume from s3 for years with this card in xp mce, no problem. I suspect something else is at play here, and maybe an incompatibility (ore three) in win 7 64 bit.
PGHammer's Avatar PGHammer 06:23 AM 11-30-2009
Quote:

I use it in Windows 7 x64 without issues; in fact, it's one of two cards (one is a Sound Blaster X-fi XtremeGamer) that I kept when I migrated from my P4 Northwood-C to my current Celeron DC. I use it in Windows Media Center (as I did in Vista x64 before that, and Vista x32 with the P4), so it's neither a driver or software issue.

Sounds like it *could* be a conflict with other hardware, since you have problems with wakeup from standby (I had no issues with that, either).
speedfrk's Avatar speedfrk 11:50 AM 11-30-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by PGHammer View Post

I use it in Windows 7 x64 without issues; in fact, it's one of two cards (one is a Sound Blaster X-fi XtremeGamer) that I kept when I migrated from my P4 Northwood-C to my current Celeron DC. I use it in Windows Media Center (as I did in Vista x64 before that, and Vista x32 with the P4), so it's neither a driver or software issue.

Sounds like it *could* be a conflict with other hardware, since you have problems with wakeup from standby (I had no issues with that, either).

Yes, it could also be a bios setting or issue.
88fingers's Avatar 88fingers 02:39 PM 12-14-2009
Has any one sucessfully used an All-In-Wonder HD video/TV card with an HDTV Wonder Card in Windows 7 x64 (Home Premium)? For some reason neither TV card can find a signal when I go through setup, even though I know I have an excellent OTA signal. I'm not sure what drivers to use, but I am wondering if the two ATI products need different drivers and are somehow conflicting with each other.

I am currently using a catalyst 9.11 driver but I don't mind backing up if it would help. I have an HD2600XT video card I could reinstall, but I really liked the idea of sending the SPDIF signal through the HDMI connection on my All-In-Wonder HD card to my HDTV.
88fingers's Avatar 88fingers 09:35 AM 12-15-2009
Okay, I was able to get the TV to work by installing the right drivers. I did have to turn off the sleep mode or I have to continue to reinstall the drivers for some reason. Now I am trying to hook up my AIW HD that has an HDMI out to my HDTV, but as soon as I plug it in, although it recognizes my HDTV and my HDTV is active, my computer monitor just shows my desktop picture without anything else. No taskbar, no mouse and completely inactive. Even control/alternate/delete doesn't bring anything up. Surely there is a way to keep the monitor active during this setup. I'm using Catalyst 9.11. Any experience on this?
jbuck's Avatar jbuck 11:51 AM 03-28-2010
You should also check your motherboard IRQ sharing configuration for expansion slots. Depending on the board different expansion slots [not necessarily adjacent to one another, likely share the same IRQ with the first board getting priority upon wake up and other CPU actions. My Asus A8N32-Sli shares the on-board Raid controller with PCI Express slot #2 [x16] and std PCI slot #2 [in that order of priority with the Raid getting priority]. PCI Express Lan shares with PCI Ex Slot #1 [x16], std PCI slot #1 and Onboard IEEE 1394 controller [in that order of priority]. and PCI Ex #3 [x4] shares with PCI std slot #3 [in that order of priority.

Maybe moving your card to the head of the list and/or disabling certain on-board components via your BIOS will prioritize the HDTV board? Musical Chairs with add-on boards often solves one problem but instigates another. You have to play around and experiment for the best configuration that gets all your components playing nice with each other. There's also the possibility that you may have too many add-ins and will have to sacrifice one or another for the benefit of the remaining feature set.
Andrew Hornfeck's Avatar Andrew Hornfeck 09:49 AM 04-20-2010
Fyi -I built a new Win 7 32-bit AMD 785-based (HD4200 on-board w/CCC 10.3) system and planned to use my old HDTV-Wonder in it. I powered down, slipped the card into the PCI slot, attached an antenna to the ATSC connection and powered up. The OS detected new hardware and attempted to locate three drivers. It found one, an audio crossbar something but left two unanswered. I rebooted. Again it detected new hardware and this time it saw two devices, loaded drivers along with an inquiry for two updates for them. Once this was done my Device Manager had the full complement of DTV BDA drivers. I was able to fire up 7MCE and it detected new hardware, scanned.... I'm also running MediaPortal 1.1.0.0 RC2 and it too sees the card just fine! I don't have any real analog stations so I've not tested them, but ATSC (OTA) is working like a champ!
weblurker's Avatar weblurker 12:00 PM 04-21-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Hornfeck View Post

Fyi -I built a new Win 7 32-bit AMD 785-based (HD4200 on-board w/CCC 10.3) system and planned to use my old HDTV-Wonder in it.

.... I'm also running MediaPortal 1.1.0.0 RC2 and it too sees the card just fine! I don't have any real analog stations so I've not tested them, but ATSC (OTA) is working like a champ!

Thanks for that report. Just out of curiosity, does WatchHDTV work with the HDTV Wonder under Win7?
Andrew Hornfeck's Avatar Andrew Hornfeck 12:12 PM 04-21-2010
I don't think WatchHDTV works under Win7 due to DirectShow filter changes -- something or another -- between WinXP and Vista/Win7 operating system archetectures. But I haven't tried... I included the link to that thread if you want to pursue it.
weblurker's Avatar weblurker 12:20 PM 04-22-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Hornfeck View Post

I don't think WatchHDTV works under Win7 due to DirectShow filter changes -- something or another -- between WinXP and Vista/Win7 operating system archetectures. But I haven't tried... I included the link to that thread if you want to pursue it.

Thanks, I've been following that thread for quite a while. It seems WatchHDTV mostly works under Win7 but no one has tried it with the HDTV Wonder yet.
Big_D_STeve's Avatar Big_D_STeve 02:20 AM 05-18-2010
I'm using my old HDTV Wonder card with Windows 7 32 bit. Works fine, but how do I use the video input adapter? Like to connect an analog souce via S-Video to the ATI breakout box that then goes to the back of the HDTV Wonder card. How do I tell the windows 7 Media Center to go to that input? Is there a way? Or do I have to use a special software? Thanks
Andrew Hornfeck's Avatar Andrew Hornfeck 09:45 AM 05-18-2010
Haven't tried that as yet although it would be a simple use of the analog section. Under MediaPortal you say add the S-Video or composite jack. Under MCE I can't say how you do it but it'd be something about a video input or analog...
Big_D_STeve's Avatar Big_D_STeve 09:56 AM 05-18-2010
I got Windows 7 media center to see the S video input on the ATI HDTV wonder card by saying I have a cable box (when I don't) in TV setup . The problem is it insists that I connect a IR receiver to the PC and cable box to continue. Of course, I don't really have a cable box or IR receiver.

Is Media Portal user friendly? I seem to recall playing with it a few years ago and it was more geared to software developers.
Andrew Hornfeck's Avatar Andrew Hornfeck 12:28 PM 05-18-2010
Is it? I've been using MP for several years now and find it tolerable... It has an installer and runs rather smooth... I've used the A/V capture on my 650 Combo USB but not the HDTV-Wonder or my Hauppauge 1600 yet. I've been more interested in the ATSC capability and I've been struggling a bit with dropped frames - can't figure if it's the Win-7 codec, the Enhanced Video Renderer (EVR) that Win-7 uses, or something in the way the MP guys have the TS reader coded. I know I have their MP 1.0.2 on my WinXP box using an N9500GT video card and it's rock solid...
Big_D_STeve's Avatar Big_D_STeve 02:18 PM 05-18-2010
I build my own computers, and some builds for others as well. Tuners and codecs are not not my area of expertise. I can install tuner hardware, and load drivers, troubleshoot things, but I have not gotten into custom codes, decoders or how windows overlays things, etc. Just a matter of reading up on it I guess.

We have AT&T uverse, VDSL based internet, phone and HDTV service. I wanted to record to the PC some of the health shows Uverse has. It looks like with the HDCP protection on HD digital hookups, the easiest thing to do is to use their downgraded 480i signal via S-Video, composite video, or RF jack. That's fine, since I don't care about having the best video quality on these shows.

I can get the RF SD output from the Uverse box to the analog RF input on the ATI HDTV wonder card to work on channel 3 in Win 7 Media Center just fine, except as many know, the analog side of this card is not the best quality. So, I thought the ATI breakout box that accepts the S-video hookup, might be a better quality. Might be, but there is a good chance the S-video is no better than their analog RF jack provides.

Might be a moot point, since it looks like the breakout box connected to the card is causing me some issues with Win 7. I'm getting an intermittent "no signal" with the breakout box connected, even with media center not running.
nerd_incognito's Avatar nerd_incognito 02:19 PM 12-13-2010
Hey guys, just thought I post my results here. Don't trash that card just yet!! I was able to get my card working in Win 7 x64. Setting it up for WMC was no problem. Windows did the job automatically and it works great. Digital TV works as well. The problem I struggled with the most was getting the Composite Video/S-Video to work properly. Media Player Classic Home Cinema was a key part, but the missing link was the ac3 filter pack for direct show (google it, ac3 Filter 1.63b). Download the filter pack, install withe default settings and reboot. Go into Media Player Classic after the reboot and setup your card. You can watch tv through it or video input. There is a little lag in the audio right now while using the A/V S-Video input, but I haven't had much time to tweak it yet. Cable TV works great though. Hope this helps.
David_Levin's Avatar David_Levin 03:19 PM 12-13-2010
I have two Wonders I'm not using. Anybody want them (you pay shipping) ?
(send E-Mail or Private Message)
First ... 136  137  138

Up
Mobile  Desktop