post #451 of 4139 Old 08-24-2004, 09:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

Originally posted by BSOD2.7
When the DTV app is running, it's going to be accessing the hard drive the entire time, as it's keeping a running 30 minute (or however long you designated) history of the broadcast basically.

Where can you actually change this setting? I did not think that you could set it to any other value besides 30 minutes?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 4139 Old 08-24-2004, 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by mpgxsvcd
Where can you actually change this setting? I did not think that you could set it to any other value besides 30 minutes?

go to the display tab and click on the initialization wizard. you can set it to a minimum of 5 minutes.
post #453 of 4139 Old 08-24-2004, 10:52 AM

I dont know if this has been mentioned before, but the antenna that comes with the card is a POS. It only looks like a Silver Sensor, but it most certainly does not perform like one. I did a head-to-head comparison with my SS the difference is huge. out of 7 digital channels, the antenna that came with the wonder card pulled only 2.
post #454 of 4139 Old 08-24-2004, 11:29 AM

sorry, but i have to disagree with that. i live 30 miles from where the stations are and i get 70-90% on stations using this antenna. i'm able to pick all of the stations in my area. the antenna is very well built imo. it outperforms my outdoor antenna.
post #455 of 4139 Old 08-24-2004, 11:31 AM

No ideas on why I can't get an analogue signal? 0 channels found during scanning. Anyone?

I have the antenna connected to the "DTV" input. Is this input supposed to handle analogue and digital OTA? Or should a separate line be run to the "CATV" input to get analogue OTA? I guess I'll try that tonight when I will check if anyone is listening to me or if I'm just talking to myself again.

-b
post #456 of 4139 Old 08-24-2004, 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by galois427
sorry, but i have to disagree with that. i live 30 miles from where the stations are and i get 70-90% on stations using this antenna. i'm able to pick all of the stations in my area. the antenna is very well built imo. it outperforms my outdoor antenna.

Um, I'm gonna have to go ahead and disagree with you here. Yeah.
I live 5.5 miles from the broadcasting station in Rochester, NY where most channels (for some stupid reason) are not broadcasting at full power yet. The antenna that came with the Wonder picks up stations at a max of 55%. The outdoor antenna that I have, without even tweaking and in the office right next to my computer (yes, it is) is getting up to 85%.

What outdoor antenna do you have? How many elements? Is it pointing directly at a tree or another structure?

Do you work for ATI or something?
post #457 of 4139 Old 08-24-2004, 01:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Ok, I spoke to an ATI tech and they told me zbout a document that is kind of buried on the ATI web site.

Type this number into the search bar on the main ati web site home page.

It brings up a document on uninstalling the media center and running a special install from the cd, selecting only

Uninstall ATI Multimedia Center from Add/Remove Programs
Run the CUSTOM SETUP off of the installation CD, and select ONLY the DTVQFE from the list. Restart when prompted.

Run the full install (EASY SETUP) on the installation CD after

and / or

Install the DTV Decoder manually using the following steps:
Browse the CD to the Install\\Decoder folder
Double click on the Setup file to start the install

doing the first item fixed most of my problems.

I post this to give everyone else the benefit my 10 hours time burned and a freshly installed and completely updated (out to xp sp2 ) win xp system install totally trashed. Now I did this on an empty system, so I lost only my time, which is good.

I have to say the picture from this tuner is very nice, I am sitting here watching the olympics as a wallpaper backdrop.

Also, my regular tv button still gives errors, but the DTV button works fine and for the moment that is something.

They also told that compatiblity test/tool gives lots of erroneous information and at times the results are totally inaccurate so don't use that as the final benchmark for anything.

owner of several Samsung LCD Panels
post #458 of 4139 Old 08-24-2004, 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by rscultho

Here is the order I installed my software:
(pre-existing XP Pro, SP1 with all updates except SP2, Direct X 9.0c)
1. Install CD, install all software ignoring "memory instruction cannot be read" error and error installing Authorscript - Authorscript is the app that burns MPEG to DVD)

2. Uninstall Mediacenter

3. Download and install new Medicenter from ATI website

The site shows updates to:
DAO/MDAC
HDTV Wonder drivers
DTV Decoder
MMC

Anyone 'know' which items should be un-installed from the installation disk prior to installing these. Doesn't seem to be a 1-1 mapping. Just the MMC and Decoder?

Thanks for any help!
B
post #459 of 4139 Old 08-24-2004, 02:00 PM

FWIW - I didn't install anything from the installation CD. Just the 4 items mentioned on the website. (though as I said earlier, step 3 - the decoder, needs the actual CD just to verify a serial number or such). Worked fine for me.
post #460 of 4139 Old 08-24-2004, 02:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
bshemira:

You must connect to both. Use a splitter or a multi-output amp or two antennas. Top one is only digital, bottom one is only analog.

Reunite Pangea!
post #461 of 4139 Old 08-24-2004, 02:47 PM

navychop: so can you use something like this
feeding the antenna to the "in" plug, and then having a cable from the VHF to the "analog" port and a cable from the UHF to the "digital" port on the card?
post #462 of 4139 Old 08-24-2004, 03:15 PM
AVS Special Member

ER- no, actually.

You want a plain splitter. Both analog and digital have stations in both VHF & UHF. If you use the device pictured, one will only get the VHF channels, the other only the UHF. A plain splitter will pass both VHF & UHF signals to both ports. Buy a good one, 900MHz as pictured is good, look for -4db or less. Or get a Radio Shack or Recoton 900 MHz 4 way output amplifier.

Reunite Pangea!
post #463 of 4139 Old 08-24-2004, 03:32 PM

ah, so something like
this
$10.50 at ratshack
post #464 of 4139 Old 08-24-2004, 05:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Looks good to me.

Reunite Pangea!
post #465 of 4139 Old 08-24-2004, 07:25 PM

Thanks navychop, that helps out for analog.

I'm still having trouble installing the updates release 8/19. If I un-install everything and then install the 4 updates, the MMC does NOT have the DTV app listed in the tool bar. No where to be found. Anyone else have this problem?

I've re-installed the software like 4 times, un-installing different apps (from the cd) but nothing seems to work. What a bummer, I feel like every time I take a step forward with this card I fall back 5. ;(
post #466 of 4139 Old 08-24-2004, 07:44 PM

Bshemira,

There is a mini-app that requires you to insert the original install CD. The ATI server can then verify that you have HDTV wonder. Then you can Download the DTV update.
post #467 of 4139 Old 08-24-2004, 07:49 PM

does anybody know how to remove the tv-on-demand stuff in the library? i just want the library to have the movies i recorded.
post #468 of 4139 Old 08-24-2004, 10:41 PM

You are always going to have them unless you run the initialization wizard and tell it not to preserve the tv-on-demand between sessions.

You can manually remove them by right clicking and say "remove from library" as well. But if you don't want them, change your setup.

Greg

Quote:
does anybody know how to remove the tv-on-demand stuff in the library? i just want the library to have the movies i recorded.

post #469 of 4139 Old 08-25-2004, 05:42 AM
AVS Special Member

When I right click on the TV on demand files in the Library I don't have an option to remove them from the library. Is that because I have preserve between sessions on? I haven't not found anyway to remove the tv-on-demand files from the Library when the Preserve command is on. Anyone else have this problem?
post #470 of 4139 Old 08-25-2004, 07:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Has anyone been able to make the default file format recordings visible (.vcr files), it would seem when they are made, they are saved as a special class of windows files, called hidden system files, which is different from the other class of files similar called "hidden files."

It upsets me a great deal to see huge amounts of my hard drive eaten up by files I can't see, its also going to be a problem for defragmenting and hard drive backups.

post #471 of 4139 Old 08-25-2004, 07:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 22
ZZ you have to make file names of known extention visiable, it in teh forlder options
post #472 of 4139 Old 08-25-2004, 07:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Got it. Turns out there is a box to leave unchecked in the folders view options, or they stay hidden.

post #473 of 4139 Old 08-25-2004, 08:15 AM

Liked: 14
bshemira, yes I had the same problem. The way I got it to work was to remove the latest NForce2 drivers and install the ones that came with my motherboard cd.

Now I have another problem. We have 2 channels around here, 25-1 and 25-2 which are PBS stations. The signal strength is well over 80% on both channels but when I tune to them I get no picture and no sound. Also, another channel, 19-1, does the same thing unless I tune to another channel, 48-1 first then immediately switch. What is going on here? I am about to take the card back and order another HD card.
post #474 of 4139 Old 08-25-2004, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by littlerm
Now I have another problem. We have 2 channels around here, 25-1 and 25-2 which are PBS stations. The signal strength is well over 80% on both channels but when I tune to them I get no picture and no sound. Also, another channel, 19-1, does the same thing unless I tune to another channel, 48-1 first then immediately switch. What is going on here? I am about to take the card back and order another HD card.

littlerm, I had a similar problem with my PBS stations until I reaimed my rooftop antenna. The signal before reaiming should have been plenty strong enough to get these channels but reaiming worked. I think the culprit may have been multipath reflections. I think its possible that the signal strength circuitry in the HD Wonder can measure a good signal level even in the presence of multipath but the reflections corrupt the data stream enough so that the decoders in the graphics card can't decode the data stream so you wind up with no audio/video.

BTW, where is 19-1? It shows up in my channel scan (I'm in MS) but the signal level is too low to decode. I don't know where to aim the antenna to get it. Do you know the call letters?

Will work for HTPC components.
post #475 of 4139 Old 08-25-2004, 10:05 AM

Multipath shouldn't be a problem, I live in an open field with no other houses around and can see the mountain where the towers are located during a clear day. I have a similar problem with 19-1 except that I can get it to work by going to 48-1 first. If I change to it from any other channel or start the app at that channel I get a blank screen with sound.

19-1 is WHNT, the tower is located on top of Monte Sano mountain in Huntsville.
post #476 of 4139 Old 08-25-2004, 10:24 AM

The new software/drivers did fix some of the problems that I posted before about my HDTV Wonder.

1) Video quality on the s-video input is now much improved. I can now watch my SD DishNet Sat box thru my PC via DVI to my Sammy DLP without any obvious loss in quality. It looks as good as if I were watching it directly thru the TV's s-video input.

2) Video quality on the card's analog RF input is now much improved. Before, some of my weaker channels on my analog cable feed were unwatchable but better now. The stronger channels look quite nice now.

3) Audio/video stutter thru the DTV input is better but still needs improvement. I watched about an hour of HD last nite on ABC with only an occasional stutter but after about an hour the stutters came back with a vengeance. I had to close the app which means that I lost my PVR buffer. PQ during that hour, though, was awesome. The DD5.1 audio out my mobo's SPDIF was also great.

Basically, when ATI fixes the AV stutter issue, I will be a happy camper. I wish they would have a fix ready before the next Mon. nite football. Has anyone heard any rumors about when the next release might be?

Will work for HTPC components.
post #477 of 4139 Old 08-25-2004, 12:05 PM

I found a reference to the problem I am experiencing on the Rage3d forums. I sure hope ATI fixes this soon!
post #478 of 4139 Old 08-25-2004, 01:00 PM

anybody has a problem tuning to abc? i receive all 3 stations (720p hd, sd, and a weather). i can't tune to the 720p for some reason. i only get audio and a black screen and i'm getting 85% signal. wierd thing is when i go into the channel list and change it there, i receive a picture but it appears that it has been zoomed and i only see a corner of the image. anybody know how to fix this?
post #479 of 4139 Old 08-25-2004, 01:02 PM

Sounds very similar to my problems, galois. 2 others are reporting the same thing on the Rage3d forums.
post #480 of 4139 Old 08-25-2004, 02:30 PM

Quote:
anybody has a problem tuning to abc? i receive all 3 stations (720p hd, sd, and a weather). i can't tune to the 720p for some reason. i only get audio and a black screen and i'm getting 85% signal. wierd thing is when i go into the channel list and change it there, i receive a picture but it appears that it has been zoomed and i only see a corner of the image. anybody know how to fix this?

Here in the Bay Area (Mtn View) I receive KGO-DT (ABC in 720p) with a weird zoomed-in-to-the-top-left image. My workaround (also from the rage3d forums) is to switch to another 720p channel that does work (FOX KTVU 2-1, or 56-1), and then jump directly back to KGO, either by entering the number with a keypad, or moving the channels next to each other in Setup:Channel List.

It seems like the card just doesn't recognize certain flavors of 720p broadcasts as 720p, but it will fail over to the settings of the last channel that it was receiving.

Hope that helps.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page