ATI HDTV Wonder - Page 19 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #541 of 4139 Old 08-31-2004, 08:09 AM
Advanced Member
 
ditcho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Posts: 657
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:


Originally posted by Martin Blank
I downloaded the latest 4.8

This confirms my observation that the 4.7 and 4.8 drivers cannot work properly with 1080i HDTV channels if you have video card less powerful than 9600XT (or maybe 9800?). Looks like the problem is not in the HDTV Wonder card.

Try uninstalling Catalyst 4.8 (you MUST use the ATI uninstall utility in Control Panel->Add/Remove Programs) and install 4.6. That should solve your stuttering problem. May introduce occasional vertical microjudder though, but it is far from bothering.
ditcho is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #542 of 4139 Old 08-31-2004, 08:57 AM
Senior Member
 
ttriplett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: VA
Posts: 285
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:


Originally posted by brianrt
I messed around with the card somemore last night. More observations.

1. Get a signal amp if you are running the included antenna. Works much better. Ratshack had a 17db one for $20 (50% off) on closeout. I got about a 30% inclease in signal by angling the antenna up at about 80 degrees.

2. A strong signal will fix the jumpiness of the video. I watched a couple hours on a strong signal and had very little skipping / studdering.

6. I think once ATI gets the software fixed we will be ok.


I agree. I watched MNF last nite with almost no stutter. The pic quality was so good on my 61" DLP that I had a hard time concentrating on the game itself. The Cowboys cheerbabes look awesome in HD!

I still get AV stutter if I try to multitask while watching DTV so I hope that ATI is working on a fix for this.

Will work for HTPC components.
ttriplett is offline  
post #543 of 4139 Old 08-31-2004, 09:13 AM
Member
 
galois427's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 96
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
which signal amplifier do you guys suggest? i can't find the 17db amplifier for $20 at radioshack the other guy mentioned.
galois427 is offline  
post #544 of 4139 Old 08-31-2004, 09:14 AM
Senior Member
 
rdewey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 322
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Forgive me for my intolerance, but "almost no stutter" simply will not cut it. I can't believe that people are having to try to execute IRQ gymnastics to reduce this. I had 100% signal strength on the channels I watched with the card, and stuttering was still noticable. Not all the time, but I could watch for 15 minutes, and then see a stutter in the video. To me, this is unacceptable. Stuttering immediately cures you of the illusion that you are actually there in the setting of the show. What's the point of looking at a stuttering video stream? This concept escapes me.

Moreover, I am not in the least confident that ATI can fix this. I think this must have been priority #1 for the developer, and since the subsequent release did not solve the problem I fear your hopes of a fix in the future may be delusional.
rdewey is offline  
post #545 of 4139 Old 08-31-2004, 11:08 AM
Advanced Member
 
PGHammer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Accokeek, MD
Posts: 641
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:


Originally posted by stanger89
[b]Not true, the AccessDTV is $199, and the Fusion III QAM is currently $149, which actually makes it less expensive than the HDTVW.

As for availability, the HDTVW isn't available within 100 miles of me, and I don't live in the boonies either (Cedar Rapids, IA).

[b]

I'd think 99% of the people who would buy an add-in PCI card would be comfortable ordering online, especially if they were savy enough to read a review on ExtremeTech.



So retail availability justifies an average price, average to below average features (no QAM), poor compatibility, and poor Software? OK.

And there is no CompUSA in Cedar Rapids? (That's where I bought mine.)

On the point of QAM, the Fusion III receives *unencrypted* QAM. My cable provider (Comcast of Prince George's County) encrypts everything. So the Fusion isn't an option. Who is *your* local cable company?

I have *no* compatibility issues with my HDTV Wonder. The only issues I'm having concerning HDTV are signal strength issues, and those are entirely due to the location of the antenna.

Lastly (and this is my single biggest quibble about both the Fusion and accessDTV solutions), these two encode in *Motion-JPEG*, which actually *adds* a conversion stage in using the end-product. (For your information, M-JPEG is larger than MPEG-2, the native format of HDTV, and the format ATI itself decodes to.) I actually plan on exporting my captures (to DVD, either standard WS DVD or WMV HD); and HDTV Wonder is the only HDTV tuner that includes export to WMVHD as standard.
PGHammer is offline  
post #546 of 4139 Old 08-31-2004, 11:18 AM
Member
 
brianrt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Dayton, Ohio
Posts: 102
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:


Originally posted by rdewey
Forgive me for my intolerance, but "almost no stutter" simply will not cut it. I can't believe that people are having to try to execute IRQ gymnastics to reduce this. I had 100% signal strength on the channels I watched with the card, and stuttering was still noticable. Not all the time, but I could watch for 15 minutes, and then see a stutter in the video. To me, this is unacceptable. Stuttering immediately cures you of the illusion that you are actually there in the setting of the show. What's the point of looking at a stuttering video stream? This concept escapes me.

Moreover, I am not in the least confident that ATI can fix this. I think this must have been priority #1 for the developer, and since the subsequent release did not solve the problem I fear your hopes of a fix in the future may be delusional.

There will always be an amount of data loss on any non delivery gaurenteed data stream. You will have to get used to it for OTA reception. Go watch regular TV with an antenna and look for static or fuzz. Studdering is the new static.
brianrt is offline  
post #547 of 4139 Old 08-31-2004, 11:25 AM
Advanced Member
 
PGHammer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Accokeek, MD
Posts: 641
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:


Originally posted by RogueWarrior
Hello All,

To recap from where I am:

Issues:

1) Installation was a dog - but I worked it out - much like was discussed here.

2) Integration with my 9800 AIW is poor at best. You cannot record two things at once - from the HDTV tuner and the AIW tuner.

3) You cannot watch a DVD from the MMC and watch either the DTV or the TV

4) It does not wake from hibernation well - so you must keep it on all day

5) It records in a proprietary format - which forces a 1 hour export. The exported file, has a black frame around it - which the tech support folks say is correct - which is VERY weird, as the black frame does not exist while watching it live or watching it from the .vcr format!

6) Sound is dulled ALOT - but that may be my northern CA - bay area problem. When watching the Olympics on 11-1, the picture comes across fine - but the sound is dull. I have to jack up the volume on the receiver to hear it well.[/i]

Issues 2 and 3 are overlay issues (only one source can use DXVA at a time). Even with the AIW alone, you cannot watch TV and DVD at the same time.

Issue 4: An issue I don't have because I don't let my PC hibernate. Instead, if I will be away from the computer for several hours or so, but I have things I need the computer to do unattended, I shut the monitor off. letting the PC run *unattended*.

5. This is solved by re-running the Initialization Wizard and changing the default format (in your case, it is likely set to ATI's .VCR format). In my case, I have it set to MPEG-4 (a format similar to MPEG-2, but more compressible/lossy). Alternatively, there is MPEG-2 (the default format HDTV itself uses) and Windows Media 9.

6. Could be unique to your area (it's an issue I don't have). I watched Tomorrow Never Dies in HD Sunday night (WUSA-DT/1080i/DD 5.1). I am no longer wearing socks...because the PQ and AQ knocked them off!

7) You cannot watch one already record show while recoding another. This one to me is really BAD!! The thing is already recorded - it is on disk - why can I not just view it! I can view it if I export it - but export cannot be done while recording

7. No TV tuner card does that. In fact, for *any* TV to do it, you need two tuners.


Good things:

1) AWESOME picture
2) Has no issue with HT turned on
3) Great reception
4) Slip recording/PVR works great - like Tivo
5) Overall usage is fine - no major bugs - other then the black frame on export, and the .vcr format. But overall it works fine.

The black frame issue is due to the .VCR format, it is not either HD or widescreen. You can select MPEG-2, MPEG-4, or Windows Media, and the issue goes away.
PGHammer is offline  
post #548 of 4139 Old 08-31-2004, 11:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
stanger89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Marion, IA
Posts: 17,399
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 142
Quote:


Originally posted by PGHammer
And there is no CompUSA in Cedar Rapids? (That's where I bought mine.)

Nope, nearest one is 120 miles in Des Moines AFAIK.

Quote:


On the point of QAM, the Fusion III receives *unencrypted* QAM. My cable provider (Comcast of Prince George's County) encrypts everything. So the Fusion isn't an option. Who is *your* local cable company?

It's Mcleod USA, or Mediacom, however what does that matter, the F3Q can recieve OTA just as easily as the HDTVW.

Quote:


I have *no* compatibility issues with my HDTV Wonder. The only issues I'm having concerning HDTV are signal strength issues, and those are entirely due to the location of the antenna.

I never said you did, but it's clear from this thread, that many people do have problems.

Quote:


Lastly (and this is my single biggest quibble about both the Fusion and accessDTV solutions), these two encode in *Motion-JPEG*, which actually *adds* a conversion stage in using the end-product. (For your information, M-JPEG is larger than MPEG-2, the native format of HDTV, and the format ATI itself decodes to.) I actually plan on exporting my captures (to DVD, either standard WS DVD or WMV HD); and HDTV Wonder is the only HDTV tuner that includes export to WMVHD as standard.

What are you talking about, the HDTV Wonder is currently the only card that records to a non-standard format. All other cards simply capture the ATSC TS stream direct, no transcoding/exporting required. Maybe the HDTVW software can transcode directly to WM9, so what, you can do that with other cards as well, you just have to use Windows Media Encoder or something.

If, OTOH, you're talking about analog capture, I'll say that none of the HD cards are a good choice for that. The only one that would be good for analog capture is the Sasem USB-HDTV with the Hardware MPEG encoder.

See what an anamorphoscopic lens can do,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
stanger89 is online now  
post #549 of 4139 Old 08-31-2004, 12:26 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Karyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Seattle
Posts: 6,207
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:


Originally posted by rdewey
Forgive me for my intolerance, but "almost no stutter" simply will not cut it. I can't believe that people are having to try to execute IRQ gymnastics to reduce this. I had 100% signal strength on the channels I watched with the card, and stuttering was still noticable. Not all the time, but I could watch for 15 minutes, and then see a stutter in the video. To me, this is unacceptable. Stuttering immediately cures you of the illusion that you are actually there in the setting of the show. What's the point of looking at a stuttering video stream? This concept escapes me.

If it stutters at exactly the same point in a recording, then most likely it's OTA problems (or network problems--as I mentioned, my Comcast box sometimes has problems too!)
Karyk is offline  
post #550 of 4139 Old 08-31-2004, 12:39 PM
Senior Member
 
ttriplett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: VA
Posts: 285
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:


Originally posted by galois427
which signal amplifier do you guys suggest? i can't find the 17db amplifier for $20 at radioshack the other guy mentioned.

I bought a $30 Philips brand pre-amp for my rooftop antenna from Walmart. Spec'ed at 28dB for VHF and 22dB for UHF.

Will work for HTPC components.
ttriplett is offline  
post #551 of 4139 Old 08-31-2004, 01:07 PM
Advanced Member
 
PGHammer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Accokeek, MD
Posts: 641
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:


Originally posted by stanger89
[b]Nope, nearest one is 120 miles in Des Moines AFAIK.

[b]

It's Mcleod USA, or Mediacom, however what does that matter, the F3Q can recieve OTA just as easily as the HDTVW.

[b]

I never said you did, but it's clear from this thread, that many people do have problems.



What are you talking about, the HDTV Wonder is currently the only card that records to a non-standard format. All other cards simply capture the ATSC TS stream direct, no transcoding/exporting required. Maybe the HDTVW software can transcode directly to WM9, so what, you can do that with other cards as well, you just have to use Windows Media Encoder or something.

If, OTOH, you're talking about analog capture, I'll say that none of the HD cards are a good choice for that. The only one that would be good for analog capture is the Sasem USB-HDTV with the Hardware MPEG encoder.

The HDTV Wonder also can do direct capture to MPEG-2 for either digital *or* analog content. (The AIW models have offered MPEG-2 capture since the 8500DV, and for a long time, were the only multi-function tuner/graphics accelerators to do so.) The newer DX 9 models add direct transcoding to MPEG-4 and WMV, same as the HDTV Wonder.

The *default* format is the non-standard ATI VCR format (actually a variant of the old-school Windows AVI format), but this can be changed either at startup of DTV for the first time, or later. (For the simple reason that I planned to export my captures, primarily to DVD, I selected MPEG-4 initially, so I can save on HD space while getting the signal issues sorted out. Once those are done, I'll be using MPEG-2 for future captures.)

The problem with capture of MPEG-2 analog is that the PQ is inherently *worse* than MPEG-2 digital (which is what HDTV actually is: a streamed MPEG-2). Example: compare the SD and HD pictures from a known solid source (I usually use WUSA-TV/DT for this.). Even with the signal issues that WUSA-DT has (dropouts), the PQ flat-out kicks WUSA-TV right in the teeth, even with upscaled SD content. When you are comparing HD-native content (everything from Tomorrow Never Dies, which aired in HD Sunday, to HD-native daytime dramas, such as The Young And The Restless which airs in HD every day) to the same content in SD, the difference becomes even more marked. In my case, the picture from WUSA-TV is via Comcast, my local cable provider, rather than from an antenna, so, if anything, the deck is stacked in favor of cable.

So why did cable lose?
PGHammer is offline  
post #552 of 4139 Old 08-31-2004, 01:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
stanger89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Marion, IA
Posts: 17,399
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 142
Quote:


Originally posted by PGHammer
The problem with capture of MPEG-2 analog is that the PQ is inherently *worse* than MPEG-2 digital (which is what HDTV actually is: a streamed MPEG-2). Example: compare the SD and HD pictures from a known solid source (I usually use WUSA-TV/DT for this.). Even with the signal issues that WUSA-DT has (dropouts), the PQ flat-out kicks WUSA-TV right in the teeth, even with upscaled SD content. When you are comparing HD-native content (everything from Tomorrow Never Dies, which aired in HD Sunday, to HD-native daytime dramas, such as The Young And The Restless which airs in HD every day) to the same content in SD, the difference becomes even more marked. In my case, the picture from WUSA-TV is via Comcast, my local cable provider, rather than from an antenna, so, if anything, the deck is stacked in favor of cable.

What the heck are you talking about? Of course HD is better than SD, all I said was that current HD cards (other than the Sasem) are not a good choice for analog SD capture.

See what an anamorphoscopic lens can do,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
stanger89 is online now  
post #553 of 4139 Old 08-31-2004, 02:32 PM
Senior Member
 
HiDefDon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 289
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
"HDTV 'Starter' Kit for PC Comes with Some Kinks" talks about ATI Wonder in today's Yahoo News...
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...n_pluggedin_dc

"It's a tricycle with training wheels," said Gartner Inc. media analyst Laura Behrens.

DonP
HiDefDon is offline  
post #554 of 4139 Old 08-31-2004, 02:36 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
madpoet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 14,003
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Heh, lovely. I wish they'd noted the DVICO cards in their comparisons, since I think it's the most direct competitor. Ah well.

Someday maybe I'll actually WATCH my projector...
madpoet is offline  
post #555 of 4139 Old 08-31-2004, 02:47 PM
Senior Member
 
ttriplett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: VA
Posts: 285
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:


Originally posted by rdewey
Forgive me for my intolerance, but "almost no stutter" simply will not cut it. I can't believe that people are having to try to execute IRQ gymnastics to reduce this. I had 100% signal strength on the channels I watched with the card, and stuttering was still noticable. Not all the time, but I could watch for 15 minutes, and then see a stutter in the video. To me, this is unacceptable. Stuttering immediately cures you of the illusion that you are actually there in the setting of the show. What's the point of looking at a stuttering video stream? This concept escapes me.

Moreover, I am not in the least confident that ATI can fix this. I think this must have been priority #1 for the developer, and since the subsequent release did not solve the problem I fear your hopes of a fix in the future may be delusional.

Forgive me for disagreeing, but MNF in HD with a very occasional stutter beats the crap out of MNF in SD with no stutters. Maybe I'm lucky but I have not had to juggle IRQs to get this card to work. The new drivers did the trick for me.

That said, I am NOT satisfied with the card's performance because I cannot multitask with DTV running. When I try, the stutter becomes unacceptable. For me, one of the main points of using an HTPC is the ability to watch video in a window or as a background while doing other things (like net surfing). I am, however, confident that ATI can fix this because they are using a hardware combo (their NXT demodulator and a Philips tuner) that has proven itself already in STBs. This leads me to believe that this card's problems are software related.

Will work for HTPC components.
ttriplett is offline  
post #556 of 4139 Old 08-31-2004, 03:28 PM
Senior Member
 
ttriplett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: VA
Posts: 285
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
From the yahoo news article:

"With the possible exception of college students and people living in cramped apartments, few households have any interest in watching television on a computer monitor, Behrens said."

They always forget about us HTPC nerds who like to watch our computers on our televisions.

"Moreover, a TV system designed for high-definition broadcasts would offer superior picture quality. "

Wrong. This lady is supposed to be an expert??

Will work for HTPC components.
ttriplett is offline  
post #557 of 4139 Old 08-31-2004, 04:03 PM
Advanced Member
 
PGHammer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Accokeek, MD
Posts: 641
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:


Originally posted by ttriplett
From the yahoo news article:

"With the possible exception of college students and people living in cramped apartments, few households have any interest in watching television on a computer monitor, Behrens said."

They always forget about us HTPC nerds who like to watch our computers on our televisions.

"Moreover, a TV system designed for high-definition broadcasts would offer superior picture quality. "

Wrong. This lady is supposed to be an expert??

She is not a computer expert (and doesn;t claim to be).
PGHammer is offline  
post #558 of 4139 Old 08-31-2004, 07:19 PM
Member
 
RogueWarrior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 133
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:


Originally posted by RogueWarrior

Hello All,

To recap from where I am:

Issues:

1) Installation was a dog - but I worked it out - much like was discussed here.

2) Integration with my 9800 AIW is poor at best. You cannot record two things at once - from the HDTV tuner and the AIW tuner.

3) You cannot watch a DVD from the MMC and watch either the DTV or the TV

4) It does not wake from hibernation well - so you must keep it on all day

5) It records in a proprietary format - which forces a 1 hour export. The exported file, has a black frame around it - which the tech support folks say is correct - which is VERY weird, as the black frame does not exist while watching it live or watching it from the .vcr format!

6) Sound is dulled ALOT - but that may be my northern CA - bay area problem. When watching the Olympics on 11-1, the picture comes across fine - but the sound is dull. I have to jack up the volume on the receiver to hear it well.[/i]

Issues 2 and 3 are overlay issues (only one source can use DXVA at a time). Even with the AIW alone, you cannot watch TV and DVD at the same time.

Issue 4: An issue I don't have because I don't let my PC hibernate. Instead, if I will be away from the computer for several hours or so, but I have things I need the computer to do unattended, I shut the monitor off. letting the PC run *unattended*.

5. This is solved by re-running the Initialization Wizard and changing the default format (in your case, it is likely set to ATI's .VCR format). In my case, I have it set to MPEG-4 (a format similar to MPEG-2, but more compressible/lossy). Alternatively, there is MPEG-2 (the default format HDTV itself uses) and Windows Media 9.

6. Could be unique to your area (it's an issue I don't have). I watched Tomorrow Never Dies in HD Sunday night (WUSA-DT/1080i/DD 5.1). I am no longer wearing socks...because the PQ and AQ knocked them off!

7) You cannot watch one already record show while recoding another. This one to me is really BAD!! The thing is already recorded - it is on disk - why can I not just view it! I can view it if I export it - but export cannot be done while recording

7. No TV tuner card does that. In fact, for *any* TV to do it, you need two tuners.


Good things:

1) AWESOME picture
2) Has no issue with HT turned on
3) Great reception
4) Slip recording/PVR works great - like Tivo
5) Overall usage is fine - no major bugs - other then the black frame on export, and the .vcr format. But overall it works fine.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:


Originally posted by PGHammer
The black frame issue is due to the .VCR format, it is not either HD or widescreen. You can select MPEG-2, MPEG-4, or Windows Media, and the issue goes away.

Not quite sure I agree

To recap on the answer above:

Issues 2 and 3 - agree it is an application issue - but it bites

Issue 5 - I disagree - the DTV application can ONLY record in .vcr. It cannot record in .mpeg. This is my issue! Yes the TV app can record in .mpeg, but the DTV app can ONLY record in .vcr

Issue 7 - do not agree - Why I need a tuner to view an mpeg file. I do it today just fine. I record in .vcr - export to mpeg, and view the .mpeg file in windows media player - without ANY need for a tuner!

Finally - I do NOT see the black frame when viewing the .vcr file - either from disk or live. I see a full widescreen video. It is when I convert the .vcr file to mpeg2 - then I get the black frame - does anyone else see this frame???

Thanks!
RogueWarrior is offline  
post #559 of 4139 Old 08-31-2004, 08:52 PM
Member
 
Martin Blank's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
Posts: 75
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:


Originally posted by ditcho
This confirms my observation that the 4.7 and 4.8 drivers cannot work properly with 1080i HDTV channels if you have video card less powerful than 9600XT (or maybe 9800?). Looks like the problem is not in the HDTV Wonder card.

Try uninstalling Catalyst 4.8 (you MUST use the ATI uninstall utility in Control Panel->Add/Remove Programs) and install 4.6. That should solve your stuttering problem. May introduce occasional vertical microjudder though, but it is far from bothering.

I gave the 4.6 drivers, seems to be the same. The reception isn't very good tonight though. I think my next step is going to be a rooftop antenna and if that doesn't fix it, a new graphics card. This is been frustrating, but if I can get it to work in the end, it will be worthwhile.
Martin Blank is offline  
post #560 of 4139 Old 09-01-2004, 05:18 AM
Member
 
brianrt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Dayton, Ohio
Posts: 102
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Is anyone having problems tuning in subchannels with the card? For example my local CBS feed has 2 channels 41-1 for HD and 41-2 for SD. I get '41-1' only. I think DTV is screwwed up because the '41-1' it detects is really 41-2 because it is always 480i (41-1 is always a 1080i, and 41-2 is 480i always).

Im going to try a full uninstall/reinstall tonight.

I did this order last time.

DirectX 9.0
WM Encoder
DAO
HDTV Wonder Drivers
DTV Decoder
MMC

I didn't use the CD included at all (except for decoder validations) I downloaded everything.

This look ok?
brianrt is offline  
post #561 of 4139 Old 09-01-2004, 05:34 AM
Member
 
rscultho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 24
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
nm
rscultho is offline  
post #562 of 4139 Old 09-01-2004, 06:12 AM
Member
 
DrCR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 76
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
ExtremeTech Rescinds Rating for ATI's HDTV "Blunder"
http://www.extremetech.com/article2/...1641024,00.asp

Wow.


DrCR


_________
DrCR is offline  
post #563 of 4139 Old 09-01-2004, 07:52 AM
Member
 
RogueWarrior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 133
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:


Originally posted by brianrt
Is anyone having problems tuning in subchannels with the card? For example my local CBS feed has 2 channels 41-1 for HD and 41-2 for SD. I get '41-1' only. I think DTV is screwed up because the '41-1' it detects is really 41-2 because it is always 480i (41-1 is always a 1080i, and 41-2 is 480i always).

I'm going to try a full uninstall/reinstall tonight.

I did this order last time.

DirectX 9.0
WM Encoder
DAO
HDTV Wonder Drivers
DTV Decoder
MMC

I didn't use the CD included at all (except for decoder validations) I downloaded everything.

This look ok?

I did that and I added the .Net Framework 1.1 after DirectX 9.0 (saw that somewhere on this thread)

That part works fine. In San Jose, I get 11-1 and 11-2.
RogueWarrior is offline  
post #564 of 4139 Old 09-01-2004, 10:41 AM
Member
 
brianrt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Dayton, Ohio
Posts: 102
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Yea I didn't include the .Net framework because I had if installed from snapstream. Heres what the local HDTV pro said

"I wonder if PSIP implementation(or lack thereof from some of our local stations), by the Stations (or ATI) may have something to do with at least some of the issues you are seeing .... It is generally uncommon in most areas for stations NOT to send channel remapping info via PSIP, however, a bit "uncommonly" we have 3 stations in Dayton that don't ...."

Sounds like that could be the problem. Does anyone get a station with subchannels that isn't remapped? Eg. Analog 22 is 56-1 and 56-2 Digital.
brianrt is offline  
post #565 of 4139 Old 09-01-2004, 12:22 PM
Senior Member
 
Dean Prestholt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Oregon
Posts: 325
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
In my area I get Fox on 30-1. The card doesn't see the sub channel 30-2 at all. It does however scan 32-1 and 32-2, my WB station, but it never shows a picture or has sound, even with 75% signal strength.

"Sounds like that could be the problem. Does anyone get a station with subchannels that isn't remapped? Eg. Analog 22 is 56-1 and 56-2 Digital."

You might be onto something there. 30-1 isn't remapped, its analog counter part is channel 12. All of my other stations are remapped and they all have their sub-channels.
Dean Prestholt is offline  
post #566 of 4139 Old 09-01-2004, 01:29 PM
AVS Special Member
 
oryan_dunn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Auburn, IN
Posts: 1,772
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Is there anyway this thing will work in Linux?

Give a man a fish; you have fed him for today. Teach a man to fish; and you have fed him for a lifetime
oryan_dunn is online now  
post #567 of 4139 Old 09-01-2004, 01:56 PM
Advanced Member
 
PGHammer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Accokeek, MD
Posts: 641
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally posted by RogueWarrior
Not quite sure I agree

To recap on the answer above:

Issues 2 and 3 - agree it is an application issue - but it bites

Issue 5 - I disagree - the DTV application can ONLY record in .vcr. It cannot record in .mpeg. This is my issue! Yes the TV app can record in .mpeg, but the DTV app can ONLY record in .vcr

Issue 7 - do not agree - Why I need a tuner to view an mpeg file. I do it today just fine. I record in .vcr - export to mpeg, and view the .mpeg file in windows media player - without ANY need for a tuner!

Finally - I do NOT see the black frame when viewing the .vcr file - either from disk or live. I see a full widescreen video. It is when I convert the .vcr file to mpeg2 - then I get the black frame - does anyone else see this frame???

Thanks!

Clarifications:

Issues 2 and 3: The application I'm referring to is DXVA (the overlay), not ATI's applications.

Issue 5: Odd, as *I* was prompted when starting DTV for the first time to choose my recording format, and I selected MPEG-4. (The default *is* VCR, but I could change it by selecting another from the pull-down box.)

Issue 7: You stated you wanted to view one channel while recording another. No application lets you do this today. In fact, no TV tuner supports this today.

MPEG-2 is *not* a normally-widescreen format; the standard sizing for MPEG-2 (or even MPEG-4, for that matter) is 4:3. It *must* be converted to a 16:9 format (preferably one of the progressive WS formats suitable for DVD, such as 480p and 720p, with 480p having the widest compatibility with DVD STBs). That is not news, and shouldn't be surprising.
PGHammer is offline  
post #568 of 4139 Old 09-01-2004, 02:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
stanger89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Marion, IA
Posts: 17,399
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 142
Quote:
Originally posted by PGHammer
Issue 7: You stated you wanted to view one channel while recording another. No application lets you do this today. In fact, no TV tuner supports this today.

The Hauppauge PVR 250, 350, ATI E-Home, Avermedia M150, M179, plus more all can do that in Sage, in fact, you can be recording multiple channels at the same time and watch something else. I believe BeyondTV, MythTV, GotTV, GB-PVR are the same way. And AFAIK, the AccessDTV can do that as well.

See what an anamorphoscopic lens can do,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
stanger89 is online now  
post #569 of 4139 Old 09-01-2004, 02:19 PM
Senior Member
 
littlerm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Hazel Green, AL
Posts: 293
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 14
oryan_dunn, it barely works in Windows. Currently there are no linux drivers for the HDTV Wonder.

I am REAL close to taking my card back. I still can't tune in to PBS-HD here in north AL, and can only get CBS-HD after first switching to NBC-HD. I have sent ATI several emails and they keep pointing me in another direction, insisting it is a system configuration problem! When it works, it is great. But that is not very often.
littlerm is offline  
post #570 of 4139 Old 09-01-2004, 02:43 PM
AVS Special Member
 
aspec2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Glen Carbon, IL
Posts: 1,178
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi

Installed my HDTV blunder last night. Stripped all ATI stuff except the graphics card drivers. Disabled the all in wonder hardware in device manager. Installed the latest for the HDTV. All went well. Channel scan found all the DTV stations in my area and some that I didn't know about. Stumbled around and found what I needed and watched some TV. Audio drop outs every time I change channels but hitting the space bar or the pause on the remote synced everything PITA. Why do you need someone else's decoder for pass through? Anyone think this might be the sound issues.

The picture is not as good as my Hipix but the tuner seems much more sensitive. Max strength on the Hipix was 80 down to 65 for all channels. ATI is 94 down to 77 but who knows if this is standard for both cards.

Now the problems.

1. PBS (9-1) in my area, is like watching a slide show. The picture is like it is zoomed in with a lot of the picture over scanned. The picture changes frames about every 15 seconds. I guess you might call this Mega stutter. Audio seems fine.
2. No picture in picture. It doesn't matter but I thought this was possible.
3. How do you select the RJ6 connector on the back of the card? I can find nothing that tells how to switch from the OTA to CATV connector.

By the by the system check recommended I get an ATI graphics card. I have a 9600 AIW Pro. It said I have no video memory Duh.

Abit IS7-G (hyperthreading disabled), 3.0 P4, 512 meg, 40 gig and 80 gig maxtor, Toshiba player, audio through the motherboard, and above graphics card. All other hardware is removed.


Walt
aspec2 is offline  
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off