ATI HDTV Wonder - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 4139 Old 04-22-2004, 04:38 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I still don't think the big question is what happens with the broadcast flag goes up. The hardware will still work, they just may be limited on how many they can sell from that point forward. The big question is....

.....Will it support QAM?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 4139 Old 04-22-2004, 05:00 PM

Liked: 10
Wish you guys (and gals) had asked me this while I still in Vegas. Great questions but I Just got home. I tried to think of everything I could while there - but I will admit I missed some issues.

As I think I stated, I told ATI I thought they had great hardware but their software sucked from my experiences - though most people I know believe the software for the 9800 AIW was a quantum leap for them.

As for QAM, I doubt it, as they said it was only going to do OTA broadcast in HD. It does have the 2 connectors on the back just as MyHD does (one for OTA, the other for a cable box).

I LOVE my MyHD card and would actually buy more of them (and still might if the side by side comparison of the ATI HDTV Wonder Card proves MyHD is better). I just continue to have annoying software issues.

If ATI doesn't have those issues and the same or better Quality at a lower price, then I'm gone.

As many have noted, the ability to stop live HDTV and pick it up without loosing anything is a key here over the MyHD card for most people used to TIVO.

OK....for the Overscan issue - this actually has nothing to do with the HDTV Wonder, but the 9500+ Radeon Family. Yes, you can use powerstrip now. The latest Radeon drivers released allow you to customize the settings more than in the past. Broadcast norm was for 15% overscan, so that's what they provided for Industry Spec.

They realize that now people have this issue on the HTPCs and intend to have settings in forthcoming drivers for the Radeon Family that will allow you to get rid of the problem completely.
post #33 of 4139 Old 04-22-2004, 05:29 PM
tji
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

Originally posted by Jagercola
Will it support QAM?

I think this article was linked in other threads here: http://www.extremetech.com/article2/...1528445,00.asp

The card uses the NXT2004 chip, which is QAM capable.

The software for this card is being developed in ATI's silicon valley office. One of the people involved has posted on a SF Bay area HDTV forum. He can't provide much information, but when asked about the QAM capabilties, he pasted the line from the above article saying the NXT2004 is QAM capable. Not a definite answer.. but a pretty strong hint.
post #34 of 4139 Old 04-22-2004, 05:45 PM

Quote:

As this uses the same basic interface updated for HDTV as the AIW, you cannot use a 9800 AIW and this card together at the same time.

I am not sure if that means it will work with a 9800 AIW as the main video card or not - or just the TV features of the AIW. I could see how the hardware might conflict.

I think what was probably meant was no dual-tuner MulTView for picture-in-picture.

They said in the press release that it should be out in April. I find this disappointing that it's not coming out in April, but then from a quality perspective, it is good that they're doing the right thing polishing up the drivers (4-6 weeks) instead of just releasing it as they have done in the past.

A $110 MSRP would be remarkable if true.

Quote:

So, is there any real information available yet on BF? I thought that you could still record to hard disk but the data would somehow be watermarked.

Watermarked? Downrezzed to DVD quality? I wish I just knew what to expect.

I wish I knew if anyone had any intention of making a BF-compatible card. Some caveats with such a card would be: Media Center/ AccessDTV-like encryption of recordings and tying to the PC recorded on/card recorded with. That said, we enthusiasts would still at least enjoy the rights to our TV viewing that we expect.

Intel's very latest (maybe some AMD stuff too) supports an encryption method in the chipset itself by way of a "Trusted Platform Module". This is supposedly a method of DRM. Presumably if the tuner card was designed with a compatible cipher chip, the PCI bus transactions would be secure. And since the AGP bus is separate and uses only a single video card, maybe the tuner card and Trusted chipset/CPU would be the only considerations. ...or maybe you would need a Trusted video card too. Maybe you would need the next generation Windows too, but maybe it'll happen.
post #35 of 4139 Old 04-22-2004, 05:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Originally posted by tji
I think this article was linked in other threads here: http://www.extremetech.com/article2/...1528445,00.asp

The card uses the NXT2004 chip, which is QAM capable.

The software for this card is being developed in ATI's silicon valley office. One of the people involved has posted on a SF Bay area HDTV forum. He can't provide much information, but when asked about the QAM capabilties, he pasted the line from the above article saying the NXT2004 is QAM capable. Not a definite answer.. but a pretty strong hint.

If it was intended to have QAM support in the software don't you think ATI would be shouting it from a mountain top? It would be a dumb move not to do so!
post #36 of 4139 Old 04-22-2004, 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Cliff Watson
If it was intended to have QAM support in the software don't you think ATI would be shouting it from a mountain top? It would be a dumb move not to do so!

Cliff is most likey right on the money.

I was standing beside a person who lived on Maui and he asked if the HDTV Wonder would do cable. She replied "no that the FCC said 100% of the US Population could receive at least 1 HD signal" (That number is not right, btw).

I jumped in and said that as far as I know, Oceanic Time Warner has some HD signals in Honolulu, the OTA stations have not gone HD in Anchorage or Honolulu because of the Government Monitoring Station and low level of interference they require in these 2 markets. This has also stalled HD Radio in these markets.

I stated I was aware that a translator on the Big Island in Hilo had gone HD, however I did not believe the translators on Maui were HD yet.

The only reason I bring this up is that she never jumped in and said "we have plans to support QAM" or anything that would have given this guy any hope of this working.

Thus, I believe her statement of only supporting OTA broadcast is pretty accurate for the future.

I can also tell you I asked about a HDTV AIW - and while they would not discuss future products - the did indicate that if it happened, it would not be this year.
post #37 of 4139 Old 04-22-2004, 06:33 PM

Cliff, Should we all be buying backup MyHD-120s?!?
post #38 of 4139 Old 04-22-2004, 06:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Originally posted by SteveRo
Cliff, Should we all be buying backup MyHD-120s?!?

At least before 1 July 2005.
post #39 of 4139 Old 04-22-2004, 06:45 PM

Cliff, Perhaps you can't answer this but I'm going to ask anyway: 1. Is there any plan for a MyHD-150? (name your favorite number - card with improved h/w for either decode or more sensitive reception) OR 2. Will the MyHD-120 be available off shore and still shipable to a US address?
post #40 of 4139 Old 04-22-2004, 07:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Originally posted by SteveRo
Cliff, Perhaps you can't answer this but I'm going to ask anyway: 1. Is there any plan for a MyHD-150? (name your favorite number - card with improved h/w for either decode or more sensitive reception) OR 2. Will the MyHD-120 be available off shore and still shipable to a US address?

SteveRo,

1) MIT has not told me of any plan to release a different card.

2) I'm sure MyHD will still be made and sold somewhere after that date.
post #41 of 4139 Old 04-23-2004, 12:18 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Kei Clark
Nearly none of the LCD PC monitors with DVI support HDCP, which is going to become a problem in the future. Well, at least all have VGA.

I'm in the process of getting a 23" WS LCD monitor/HDTV (ordered but not shipped). This monitor is just a stop-gap solution for me to watch DTV while waiting for the large 1080p RPTV which I should purchase by year end. I figured I can watch HDTV on this monitor for a while before I get tripped up by HDCP and I'll then have the HDCP RPTV before it becomes a problem. Ultimately, the "little" LCD will be used as a computer display but its plethora of video inputs (all A/D video connections) make for a very versatile TV to move about the house. I can always revert to VGA or component on this monitor if need be but I'm purchasing all new video equipment that allows for straight digital path of video through to the display screen.

"Plasma TV ... so called because in order to afford one, you're going to have to sell your blood." -- Ed Helms, The Daily Show.
post #42 of 4139 Old 04-24-2004, 07:01 PM

This makes it sound like you NEED AIW to enable certain features using HDTV Wonder.
post #43 of 4139 Old 04-24-2004, 07:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
xortam,

Don't get me wrong, I haven't missed HDCP yet, and will most likely never as I have a 1080i>1080p scaler that's perfect for my 23" (1920x1200) that works on VGA/Component sources but not DVI/HDCP. But, alot of people will get a surprise if they're not up on HDCP and mistaken purchases will be made. HDTV has been confusing enough already for the general public, this is yet another roadblock in the march.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #44 of 4139 Old 04-24-2004, 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by clamrade
This makes it sound like you NEED AIW to enable certain features using HDTV Wonder.

That's the way I read it.
It also sounds as if it's available now?
It's not.
post #45 of 4139 Old 04-24-2004, 09:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

While an AIW isn't necessary (only the latest version of MMC), it *can* directly replace the tuner features of an AIW series card (specifically any of the following: AIW 9600XT, 9700, 9700 Pro, 9800 Pro, and a possible forthcoming 9800 XT). The target audience (at least initially) is current owners of 9600XT, 9700/9700Pro/9800/9800Pro/9800XT and their AIW variants.

It can use either the original Remote Wonder or Remote Wonder II.

The tuner section is designed as a *superset* of the AIW 9600XT's new tuner section (adding OTA HD reception capability). It does *not* have YPbPr *inputs* (and so cannot connect to a satellite or HD cable box via YPbPr). What I would *prefer* is a YPbPr input *daughtercard* for the AIW series that enables the use of YPbPr as a second component-style input option.

Oh, well.
post #46 of 4139 Old 04-24-2004, 09:17 PM

How do you know that the 9600 (not XT or Pro) is excluded?

Also, I am not sure it replaces the analog tuner. I am thinking the HDTV Wonder will augment it.
post #47 of 4139 Old 04-24-2004, 09:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Also, I am not sure it replaces the analog tuner. I am thinking the HDTV Wonder will augment it.

I think you're right. Both tuners would be needed for PIP.
post #48 of 4139 Old 04-25-2004, 01:01 AM

Wish I had gotten clarification on the AIW issue. I read what is said above, but at the same time, looking at my remote control, if a AIW was in the system, there is only 1 control for a TV. As they both use the same remote control settings, how would the machine know which tuner you were addressing if both were active. It would appear they would conflict with each other. Furthermore, as you have 2 inputs on the HDTV Wonder, they must assume you would have no further use for the tuner in the AIW.

That's my assumption - and it's just that - an assumption.
post #49 of 4139 Old 04-25-2004, 05:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
While the HD card has 2 tuners, it doesn't look like it has space for there standard purple breakout box, or the audio input cable. I think that card has to work in conjunction with something which I assume would be a normal AIW.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #50 of 4139 Old 04-25-2004, 09:24 AM

We are talking about $110 HDTV card - Not a $350+ AIW. As all the video output is handled by the main video card and audio via the soundcard in computer, nor does it record external souces - only OTA, it has no need for those items you mentioned.
post #51 of 4139 Old 04-25-2004, 09:46 AM
AVS Addicted Member

"While the HD card has 2 tuners,"

Are you sure its not one tuner with 2 RF connectors?
post #52 of 4139 Old 04-25-2004, 11:04 PM

For $110 I don't see how they can have 2 tuners. Nothing was said about 2 tuners on the card in the discussions I had with the ATI people.
post #53 of 4139 Old 04-26-2004, 04:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
The 2 tuners was a guess since it has 2 coax inputs. I am making the assumption that it is liek the hi-pix. One for HD and one for regular signals. Of course that is just an assumption.

post #54 of 4139 Old 04-26-2004, 04:27 AM

No, I can tell you it is like the MyHD card. One input for an antenna on your roof and one for a cable box.
post #55 of 4139 Old 04-26-2004, 05:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I don't think any of the PCHD cards have 2 tuners, just two f-connectors with a switch.

- Tom

Why don't we power our electric cars from greener, cheaper
?

Tom Barry - Find my video filters at
post #56 of 4139 Old 04-26-2004, 11:11 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Are there compatibility problems with putting two tuner cards into the same PC? Say an MDP-120 with a MDP-100 (or another 120). How about an MDP-120 and a Fusion card, etc.?

"Plasma TV ... so called because in order to afford one, you're going to have to sell your blood." -- Ed Helms, The Daily Show.
post #57 of 4139 Old 04-27-2004, 02:29 AM

Cliff had said in another thread that the MyHD software that supported 2 tuners was so old he would not recommend it.

I use an ATI 9800 AIW in the same box as a MyHD 120 with no issues.

You might want to contact digitalconnection or copperbox about the other combinations of 2 HD units in the same box.
post #58 of 4139 Old 04-27-2004, 03:02 AM
AVS Special Member

2 HD cards is probably okay as long as they are not both based on the Janus chipset..

Jim White
St. Petersburg, FL
post #59 of 4139 Old 04-27-2004, 07:16 AM
AVS Addicted Member

i use a MyHD card and a FusionHDTV III Gold card in the same computer.
post #60 of 4139 Old 04-27-2004, 08:05 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Cliff Watson
i use a MyHD card and a FusionHDTV III Gold card in the same computer.

Can the MyHD card play files which were recorded by Fusion3 and vice versa? What about HDTV Wonder data files?

I have a HiDTV card and really like it but since it is not being sold/supported anymore, I am planning to get a MyHD, Fusion3, or ATI HDTV Wonder for another PC. I need to make sure the HiDTV card can play files which are recorded by whichever card is in my second PC.

Thanks.
DonP
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page