ATI HDTV Wonder - Page 25 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #721 of 4139 Old 09-21-2004, 10:46 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey guys....

Everytime I open up Guide Plus+ it uses TV and not DTV??? Is there any way I can fix this? I looked all around but I can't find any settings. I never use tv so it would be nice to schedual show using the DTV. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 4139 Old 09-21-2004, 11:16 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Garman
Looking for a HDTV card for a Mac, or a device that will do HDTV on a Mac 23". Open to any ideas. Thanks

Slashdot articleabout Mac HDTV card.
post #723 of 4139 Old 09-22-2004, 04:36 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by 2old2play
Hey guys....

Everytime I open up Guide Plus+ it uses TV and not DTV??? Is there any way I can fix this? I looked all around but I can't find any settings. I never use tv so it would be nice to schedual show using the DTV. Thanks

I understood , guide plus is for analog TV only, I think all the happy ATI HDTV owners should petition for ATI and titantv to get together and develop a plug in for ATI HDTV card
post #724 of 4139 Old 09-22-2004, 07:51 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Jay M
I will not likely purchase anything from New Egg again.

Personally I've had great experiences with New Egg. The 15% restocking fee is not hidden. If the product is actually defective or broken, they have a good history of helping out customers. I've posted a few less than stellar reviews on their site, and they are still there. I'd be surprised if you said "I got this card and I had stuttering on X hardware configuration" and they deleted the review.

I got my HDTV Wonder card installed in under a half an hour, but was immediately disappointed by stuttering. Then I moved the antenna- IT LOOKS AWESOME. It is sensitive to reception and I may end up buying a new antenna so I don't have to move the antenna to change channels. But pausing living tv is the coolest thing ever and all the features worked on the first try! I used all the latest drivers with SP2.
post #725 of 4139 Old 09-22-2004, 09:03 AM

Could I please ask those members and only those members with very good to excellent results with the ATI HDTV Wonder to post their computer's:

- Processor brand and type

- Manufacturer of PC or (better) motherboard and model number

- Amount of memory (RAM)

- Operating system and service pack number

- Anything unusual you might have done before installing this card and supporting software such as buying or building a dedicated PC, reinstalling Windows, removing all ATI drivers, or ???

Also, if you believe you have an especially strong, clean RF signal because of location and/or antenna type

(I hope I have not violated this forum's rules or protocol in asking for this information. If I have, I regret doing so.)
post #726 of 4139 Old 09-22-2004, 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Crabby Guy
Could I please ask those members and only those members with very good to excellent results with the ATI HDTV Wonder to post their computer's:

- Processor brand and type

- Manufacturer of PC or (better) motherboard and model number

- Amount of memory (RAM)

- Operating system and service pack number

- Anything unusual you might have done before installing this card and supporting software such as buying or building a dedicated PC, reinstalling Windows, removing all ATI drivers, or ???

Also, if you believe you have an especially strong, clean RF signal because of location and/or antenna type

(I hope I have not violated this forum's rules or protocol in asking for this information. If I have, I regret doing so.)

Sony Vaio 1.6 G P 4 desk top, dedicated as HTPC
512 Meg RAM

clean installed Windows XP , SP 2, .net framework, directX 9.0c, catalyst 4.9, 8-19 HDTV wonder drivers in that order

ATI Radion 9600 SE , 128 meg ram , DVI out to SONY HDTV, catalyst set to 1080i, I disabled the flat panel desk top monitor, don't even need that after a proper installation of catalyst 4.9 (ie a power strip look alike but a whole lot easier to operate)

The antenna was 3020 channel master mounted in the attic. I live 25 miles from all the local station tower. A motorolla signal amplifier is also needed to pull in another region 70 miles away, all works.

The 720p broadcast has the best reception ie PBS HD , just like having free discovery channel.
post #727 of 4139 Old 09-22-2004, 10:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 47
siegler: Thanks for the info, I am wondering if that unit will do HDTV using a Sat Dish? Is there any other units out there?
post #728 of 4139 Old 09-22-2004, 10:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Abit 1s7-g (hypertheading off)
P4 3.0
512 ram
9600 all in wonder pro
XP sp1 with all upgrades

Removed all ATI software except the 4.8 drivers.
Downloaded HDTV software and installed.
Tuned antenna for max strength. (I have trees in my way)
Had dropped frames.
Found background programs running.
Deleted from startup.
No dropped frames or stuttering.
No Fox (720p) and no PBS (zoomed picture)
Everything else works.

Walt
post #729 of 4139 Old 09-22-2004, 11:23 AM

P4 2.8 @ 3.1
Abit IS7-E
2 gigs RAM
ATI 9800 Pro
M-Audio Revo 7.1

SP2, 9.0C, cat 4.9, and everything off ATI website instead of CD. Install was straight forward and was working in under 30 minutes. Make sure you get the windows software first (.net and encoder). I did uninstall catalyst as I wanted to update 4.8 to 4.9, but this was not a clean install of XP.

I use DVI at 720P to my Hit 57SWX. Works easily with catalyst now, but there is overscan. The picture with the HDTV Wonder is amazing and the timeshifting seems to work fine. Reception is very picky- for me any stuttering is resolved by adjusting the antenna. I am actually so close to the Sears and Hancock towers in downtown Chicago, that I have major issues with directionality (I have identical problems with radio and SD tv). I'll have to play around with other antennas.
post #730 of 4139 Old 09-22-2004, 11:59 AM

H/W
Athlon 2200+ @ 1.9
Abit VA-10 mobo with built-in SPDIF output
1GB RAM
ATI 9600, DVI output to 720p display
Medium to large directional antenna (non-amplified)

S/W
SP2, 9.0C, cat 4.9, whatever the latest drivers are from ATI

Comments:

Going to Cat 4.9, and maybe 1GB of RAM, (I did those both around the same time) seemed to resolve many stuttering issues. There is still some stuttering if I'm trying to do other things with the computer (surfing). There might also be stuttering after a few hours of usage, but I'm not sure whether that's caused drop in signal quality.

In the Bay Area (Mountain View), I get all major networks with 80%-90% strength. My ABC affiliate is 720p, and I get the zoom effect unless I tune to Fox first which is also 720p. I get good signal strength for KBHK, the UPN affiliate, but no image.

I replaced 100ft of RG59 with quad shielded RG6 - that pushed all the signals up by 5-10%.
post #731 of 4139 Old 09-22-2004, 11:59 AM

Hello all,

I recently bought a JVC Plamsa screen and a LG HDTV Tuner. I live in an apartment building and have cable running into my room. For some reason i receive the basic cable channels in HD through this cable as well as discovery HD (this is the only HD Channel i get besides the normal NBC CBS ABC FOX). I dont know how or why( and I dont ask how or why), Discovery is by far the best looking HD channel.

MY question is.. Will the HDTV Card only take the OTA antenna input ? Will i be able tune in the Discovery HD Channel if i can use the cable? I dont have an HD Box from time warner or anything.....

My LG HDTV Tuner Accepts QAM Channels, which to my understanding means that it accepts unencrypted HD Channels?

thanks for any help
yepper
post #732 of 4139 Old 09-22-2004, 12:18 PM

I'm sure the answer is in here somewhere, but how are you supposed to sort through 37 pages?

I'm totally new at this. I would love to disconnect my cable and go with OTA broadcasts.

Do you have to have both this ATI All-In-Wonder thing AND another separate video card? Are there minimum requirements for the card?

Again, sorry that this gets asked here.
post #733 of 4139 Old 09-22-2004, 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by jasonAB
I'm sure the answer is in here somewhere, but how are you supposed to sort through 37 pages?

I'm totally new at this. I would love to disconnect my cable and go with OTA broadcasts.

Do you have to have both this ATI All-In-Wonder thing AND another separate video card? Are there minimum requirements for the card?

Again, sorry that this gets asked here.

Yes,you need another video card, AIW card must be supported by direct x 9.0, means it needs to be pretty new, my understanding is at least an equivalent of ATI radeon 9600 SE or above.

The ATI HDTV is not a video card in itself.

I hope this answer your ?
post #734 of 4139 Old 09-22-2004, 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by docchak
Yes,you need another video card, AIW card must be supported by direct x 9.0, means it needs to be pretty new, my understanding is at least an equivalent of ATI radeon 9600 SE or above.

The ATI HDTV is not a video card in itself.

I hope this answer your ?

Yes it does, thanks. How the ubiquitous GeForce FX 5200 Graphics Card rank. Could I get away with using it? Dell's got some great deals on refurbished PCs ending today and they've all got this card.
post #735 of 4139 Old 09-22-2004, 01:13 PM

It should work but again I could not back that up, my recommendation according to my experience is be prepared to get the ATI 9600 SE $ 99 from circuit city.
post #736 of 4139 Old 09-22-2004, 01:18 PM

I couldn't get ATI HDTV to work with GeForce FX 5200 from DELL.

I finally broke down and got an ATI 9550 card and it is working now.

This was before the new drivers came out.
post #737 of 4139 Old 09-22-2004, 01:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
NO!

There have been many posts about problems with the 9600SE, both with and without the HDTV Wonder.

If you want the ATI HDTV Wonder to work best, you would be ahead to mate it with an ATI card, 9500 and up. I recommend the 9600XT, as it worked for me. It seems more likely that you will have success with the Wonder if it's with an ATI branded video card, not just a card using ATI chips, or that meets DirectX 9.

You might want an All In Wonder, such as the 9600 AIW. This will work as a TV tuner & DVR independently of the Wonder. In the future, this approach would allow PIP combining the Wonder and the AIW card outputs. If you want to hold off on DTV reception, an AIW will work fine (for most people) for analog NTSC broadcasts. My 7500 AIW and 8500DV AIW do- but they weren't enough to support the requirements of the HDTV Wonder, so I bought the 9600XT. I'm very satisfied with both products, and they will only get better with time, as ATI upgrades the software.

Reunite Pangea!
post #738 of 4139 Old 09-22-2004, 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by navychop
NO!

There have been many posts about problems with the 9600SE, both with and without the HDTV Wonder.

If you want the ATI HDTV Wonder to work best, you would be ahead to mate it with an ATI card, 9500 and up. I recommend the 9600XT, as it worked for me. It seems more likely that you will have success with the Wonder if it's with an ATI branded video card, not just a card using ATI chips, or that meets DirectX 9.

You might want an All In Wonder, such as the 9600 AIW. This will work as a TV tuner & DVR independently of the Wonder. In the future, this approach would allow PIP combining the Wonder and the AIW card outputs. If you want to hold off on DTV reception, an AIW will work fine (for most people) for analog NTSC broadcasts. My 7500 AIW and 8500DV AIW do- but they weren't enough to support the requirements of the HDTV Wonder, so I bought the 9600XT. I'm very satisfied with both products, and they will only get better with time, as ATI upgrades the software.

Did you mean there have been many problems with the GeForce 5200?

I don't need this PC to do much. Just play games, get OTA programming, and go online. I'm not interested much in recording, PIP, etc.
post #739 of 4139 Old 09-22-2004, 02:16 PM

I get more confused as I read. I have a Sanyo Z2 projector that I'm hooking this up to, so I want to use DVI connections, right?

Which card has DVI output? It seems that it's the 9800 but that one doesn't come as a "all-in-wonder" package, right?

(I knew I should have never come back here after buying my projector!)
post #740 of 4139 Old 09-22-2004, 02:21 PM
AVS Special Member

You will have to do a search for specifics on the GeForce 5200- I've just noted that many posted complaints were for systems with non-ATI boards.

You'll have to decide if you want to watch OTA DTV signals. If so, I and many others have had great success with the ATI HDTV Wonder. There are other solutions, all with their own set of problems or quirks. If you go with the Wonder, your best, safest, bet is to buy an ATI branded card meeting the specs, and NOT the 9600SE. The HDTV Wonder MIGHT work fine with the GeForce- but if you're buying , spending a few more bucks to increase your odds of success is wise. If you can't swing it, you may be in the wrong game.

On the other hand, if you'll be happy with OTA analog signals, the ATI All In Wonder products work fine for most. And the 9600 AIW & up allow for a future expansion to DTV with the HDTV Wonder.

All these discussed ATI video cards play games fine. If you're a top end gamer that requires the latest $300 and up card, you wouldn't be asking questions here.

Reunite Pangea!
post #741 of 4139 Old 09-22-2004, 02:28 PM
AVS Special Member

jasonAB:
The 9600XT has DVI out, and in conjuction with the HDTV Wonder, will cover both NTSC analog and ATSC digital OTA TV signals.

If you are not going to use the HDTV Wonder, you'll need an ATI AIW "All In Wonder" product. There are several variations and you'll have to look thru the ATI site to find one with DVI out. These will only receive NTSC analog signals, though.

Reunite Pangea!
post #742 of 4139 Old 09-22-2004, 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by navychop
jasonAB:
The 9600XT has DVI out, and in conjuction with the HDTV Wonder, will cover both NTSC analog and ATSC digital OTA TV signals.

If you are not going to use the HDTV Wonder, you'll need an ATI AIW "All In Wonder" product. There are several variations and you'll have to look thru the ATI site to find one with DVI out. These will only receive NTSC analog signals, though.

Now I think I get it. The "wonder" (be it NTSC or HDTV) receives the signal and the 9600XT video card with the DVI out sends the signal out to the projector.

Thanks, navychop!
post #743 of 4139 Old 09-22-2004, 02:41 PM

I would avoid the Sapphire 9600 256 as well.

I have bought a new rooftop antenna and now get > 90% signal for most stations, removed any interrupt conflicts and updated all drivers and I still get a stutter. I'm left with thinking the graphics card might be the problem. Early on, everyone with the 256 was having problems.

Anyone have success yet with the Sapphire 9600 256?
post #744 of 4139 Old 09-22-2004, 02:46 PM

BTW there's now a $50 rebate on this nightmare at Newegg.
post #745 of 4139 Old 09-22-2004, 04:03 PM

Is the GeForce the same with NVIDIA?, stays away from NVIDIA is the advice.

BTW , I do not have any problem w ATI 9600 SE, works like a champ, love that DVI output, and cat 4.9 make life with HDTV a breeze, see my HTPC pix below at work
post #746 of 4139 Old 09-22-2004, 06:19 PM
Advanced Member

Are the complaints about the ATI HDTV Wonder centered around buggy software (which presumably will eventually be fixed) or are there intrinsic problems with the hardware itself?

Also, how good is the OTA HDTV and OTA digital SDTV reception with this card, using the included "Silver Sensor" VHF/HDTV antenna? (I currently have a Leadkte Winfast 2000XP Deluxe, which I use with an amplified OTA antenna)
post #747 of 4139 Old 09-22-2004, 06:45 PM
DRS
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by mpgxsvcd
Yes I have converted 1080i ATI MPG2 files to wmv with wme9!

Just change the color to YV12 in the profile. I think it is the second or third to last tab in the settings screen in WME9(It is the same tab with the interlace and deinterlace settings). This will keep the encoder from crashing. I did have a problem with the 720p files though. It appears like the 60FPS is messing up the audio. The voices become much lower almost like the opposite of the chipmunks.

Thank you Sir, that did the trick! Very cool, now let's hope for some decent football in HD to archive to DVD in WM9HD.

Under the compression settings, which options did you choose?

Thanks again!
post #748 of 4139 Old 09-22-2004, 06:49 PM
DRS
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by docchak
Is the GeForce the same with NVIDIA?, stays away from NVIDIA is the advice.

BTW , I do not have any problem w ATI 9600 SE, works like a champ, love that DVI output, and cat 4.9 make life with HDTV a breeze, see my HTPC pix below at work

Hmmm, the newer Nvidia cards seem to be the exception to this rule. I have the 6800gt with the 61.77 drivers and I cannot complain (well aside from a few software issues that I wish were different: no guide, more control over recording options).
post #749 of 4139 Old 09-22-2004, 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by DRS
Hmmm, the newer Nvidia cards seem to be the exception to this rule. I have the 6800gt with the 61.77 drivers and I cannot complain (well aside from a few software issues that I wish were different: no guide, more control over recording options).

Sorry about that, It's just an observation from the post, learn something everyday ,
post #750 of 4139 Old 09-22-2004, 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by mshan
Are the complaints about the ATI HDTV Wonder centered around buggy software (which presumably will eventually be fixed) or are there intrinsic problems with the hardware itself?

Also, how good is the OTA HDTV and OTA digital SDTV reception with this card, using the included "Silver Sensor" VHF/HDTV antenna? (I currently have a Leadkte Winfast 2000XP Deluxe, which I use with an amplified OTA antenna)

My observation would be :
1) the antenna--> the better antenna seems to have less problem.
2) the installation-->clean installation seems to be better.
3) don't expect to multitask, all the video capture device are resource hogs.
4) the output, if you can match the screen with the station ie 480i, 720p, 1080i looks like there is less effort for the card to output the video to the monitor, ie you really need the HDTV monitor to appreciate this , although it is not necessary.
5) the SD 480i PQ is far superior than watching it on analog TV counter part absolutely.
6) just in my opinion, I don't think there is anything wrong with the hardware itself, if we use it like it was intended to be, unfortunately, most of us just install this card on to the PC where most of the resource is nearly on the edge, it would be tough to get it to work uniformly that way.

Again it's just my 2 cents.

I am very happy with the card. I would not trade mine for myHD, not yet anyway.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page