yes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 4139 Old 05-27-2004, 07:55 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
One more noob question. If it accepts the hd through a coaxial cable, does that mean you bypass the reciever given to you by your cable company and plug it directly into the vid card?
post #93 of 4139 Old 05-27-2004, 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by crumbaker
One more noob question. If it accepts the hd through a coaxial cable, does that mean you bypass the reciever given to you by your cable company and plug it directly into the vid card?

No. The HD wonder only decodes OTA HD (ATSC). Cable companies generally use QAM, which AFAIK is not supported on the HD wonder.

merlock
post #94 of 4139 Old 05-27-2004, 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by merlock
No. The HD wonder only decodes OTA HD (ATSC). Cable companies generally use QAM, which AFAIK is not supported on the HD wonder.

merlock

Atsc is that like a dvhs signal or something? Is there anyway other than firewire to record hd singals from cable onto a pc?
post #95 of 4139 Old 05-27-2004, 08:40 PM
Advanced Member

ATSC is the digital broadcast standard. And AFAIK, there is no other way to record HD from a QAM source. People are currently experimenting with the newly-released Fusion III-QAM card, but it doesn't appear to be quite working yet. Hopefully, further software updates may cure this.

RG
post #96 of 4139 Old 05-27-2004, 10:29 PM

WHERE IS THIS CARD AND WHAT IS THE HOLDUP?
post #97 of 4139 Old 05-30-2004, 01:19 PM

I'm chomping at the bit for this card as well. Hoping some new information starts coming out. Usually by this time someone has a beta card or something of that nature and is posting either here or on one of the many review sites.
post #98 of 4139 Old 05-30-2004, 06:00 PM
gbr

Quote:

Originally posted by Rick Guynn
ATSC is the digital broadcast standard. And AFAIK, there is no other way to record HD from a QAM source. People are currently experimenting with the newly-released Fusion III-QAM card, but it doesn't appear to be quite working yet. Hopefully, further software updates may cure this.

RG

qam is working great for me with the fusionhdtv3 qam card (i have not tried recording).
post #99 of 4139 Old 05-30-2004, 07:35 PM

I can't wait anymore either!

It's the same 'ol he FED, she SED.
post #100 of 4139 Old 05-30-2004, 08:57 PM

MCE2005 is in beta right now and it DOES support HDTV as well as dual tuners.

The HDTV Wonder should be one of the supported cards.

NOBODY is touching official support for QAM tuning in MCE for true Digital Cable Ready configuration, as nobody is playing with CableCARD for the PC, realizing that no matter how you control access, once on the PCI Bus, the TS content will be snatched somehow.
Too bad...we're still stuck with a STB and IR Blasters strung all over for the foreseeable future if we want Digital/HDTV beyond the few OTA stations in any area.
post #101 of 4139 Old 06-02-2004, 08:15 AM

OK ATI, we're in June now so where is this card?

Does anyone have any tradeshow news? Any tradeshows coming up where this card might be demonstrated?

C'mon, throw me a bone here!

Will work for HTPC components.
post #102 of 4139 Old 06-02-2004, 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by ttriplett
OK ATI, we're in June now so where is this card?

Does anyone have any tradeshow news? Any tradeshows coming up where this card might be demonstrated?

C'mon, throw me a bone here!

I second what you are saying!!
I was hoping with all the X300, X600, and X800 PCI Express announcements that there would also be something about the
HDTV Wonder. I guess they meant END of June! Well, if you are gonna make me wait that long, how about a PCI EXPRESS X800XT AIW w/ PCI EXPRESS HDTV WONDER!

post #103 of 4139 Old 06-02-2004, 09:48 AM
AVS Club Gold

I still don't get the excitement for this card. *shrug*

Someday maybe I'll actually WATCH my projector...
post #104 of 4139 Old 06-02-2004, 09:57 AM

I think it has the potential to work like a true DVR device should, unlike any other HDTV card out there now. I mean the ability to timeshift, start watching a currently recording show from the beginning, watch a recorded show with the ability to fast forward and rewind easily...

Let's face it, DVICO's software blows. None of the hardware cards can do all of this (uless the accessDTV software is now better than I'm aware). The only thing that comes close is a Fusion with GotTVPVR, which can timeshift live TV, but can't FF or RW during playback of recorded material.

Of course, there's no gurantee that ATI's software will work great, but we can hope so, right?
post #105 of 4139 Old 06-02-2004, 10:01 AM
AVS Club Gold

My concerns are compatibility (they already said it can't be in the same system as their own AIW cards), no QAM support, and the fact that it is still software-decoder based. To me, it doesn't look particularly innovative. But maybe I'll be proven wrong.

-MP

post #106 of 4139 Old 06-02-2004, 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by madpoet
I still don't get the excitement for this card. *shrug*

I'm just impatient. I'm also sitting on the fence as to which HDTV card to buy for my computer. I would like to record some HD shows. I also need to upgrade my main video card (running the original Radeon AIW) so I can play the newer dx9 games. I am hoping that ATI will release the perfect product for me. A fast new video card that is made for HD video capture and editing, a HDTV tunercard that has a current generation chipset (most are 2002 era), and a integrated + constantly updated sofware/driver package. I also need dual head vga + dvi so I can do DVI TV out directly to my HDTV and vga to my 21" CRT.

Once ATI releases this card, I will have all the facts to make the best decision. It ATI does it right, I will be getting both cards from them. If not, it looks like I will be going to a Fusion3 (software) or a MyHD120 (Hardware) for HD tuning/capture. My video card will most likely be ATI.

post #107 of 4139 Old 06-02-2004, 10:20 AM

Quote:

My concerns are compatibility (they already said it can't be in the same system as their own AIW cards), no QAM support, and the fact that it is still software-decoder based. To me, it doesn't look particularly innovative. But maybe I'll be proven wrong.

-MP

I thought the HDTV Wonder would only be bundled (at first) with their latest gen AIW 9600 and AIW 9800 cards? I thought there would be in-the-clear QAM support and the decoder would be hardware assisted as is the norm for ATI (RageTheater etc). You have to think this is possible since ATI's HDTV chipsets are already used in many set top boxes and have these features. Compatibility between 2 ATI cards (designed to work together) should be better than DIVCO + who knows what. Plus the ATI software and drivers have gotten better with every release and are the only ones that would seem to allow true PVR functionality.

Again, no one can be sure until the card and specs are released and the card hase been tested and reviewed. That's why I am so impatient. Or I guess you could say HOPEFUL!!

post #108 of 4139 Old 06-02-2004, 10:36 AM
AVS Club Gold

The chip is compatible, but in all of the product release info it has NEVER mentioned QAM. That is a concern. The decoder would be hardware assisted in DxVA mode, as is the Fusion. But sometimes that's not good enough . At it's heart, it is still pure software as opposed to say the MyHD. As for the bundling, it will not be with AIW cards from what I read. They said at one point that it was not compatible in the same system as an AIW card.

post #109 of 4139 Old 06-02-2004, 11:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

They said at one point that it was not compatible in the same system as an AIW card.

Actually, I think they said there were certain AIW cards it would not work with. It is apparently designed to work with some of them because they mentioned PIP ability when combined with an AIW.

As for hardware assist, I am hoping that since they also make the video cards, they could implement it better than DVico has.. I would like to see them get rid of the jitter when using DxVA with 1080i sources.

RG
post #110 of 4139 Old 06-02-2004, 11:19 AM
AVS Club Gold

Ok, I'm more than happy to be wrong about it

post #111 of 4139 Old 06-02-2004, 11:45 AM
AVS Club Gold

Looks like I was indeed wrong... from the product overview:

"You can enjoy MULTIVIEW functions like picture-in-picture (PiP) right on your monitor when paired with an ALL-IN-WONDER® 9600 or above graphics card"

Still wish it included QAM decoding.

post #112 of 4139 Old 06-02-2004, 12:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

To me, it doesn't look particularly innovative. But maybe I'll be proven wrong.

The hardware doesn't have to be innovative for it to be a real breakthrough product. True time shifting with all the combinations of pre-recorded and in-process recording playback like a Tivo is just not available on any single PC based HD card. Stable high quality playback with time shifting will be a deal maker for me. It all comes down to the software and the proof is in the pudding. We just have to wait and see.

- Mike
post #113 of 4139 Old 06-02-2004, 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Rick Guynn
I would like to see them get rid of the jitter when using DxVA with 1080i sources.

No jitter for me with Fusion I and GotTVPVR. I used to see the jitter, but not anymore. Of course, I have changed a lot of variables. I used to use a 9000 pro via DVI. I now have a 9800 pro via component dongle. I only use GotTVPVR for HDTV viewing now. I haven't gone back to try the DVICO software since the video card upgrade yet. Maybe I will try it out to see if the jitter is still there.

Sean.
post #114 of 4139 Old 06-02-2004, 01:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by boiler11
No jitter for me with Fusion I and GotTVPVR. I used to see the jitter, but not anymore. Of course, I have changed a lot of variables. I used to use a 9000 pro via DVI. I now have a 9800 pro via component dongle. I only use GotTVPVR for HDTV viewing now. I haven't gone back to try the DVICO software since the video card upgrade yet. Maybe I will try it out to see if the jitter is still there.

Sean.

Despite DVico's protestations to the contrary, I have always thought the jitter problem was in their software and not the hardware. If it is indeed absent when using GotTVPVR, that seems to clinch it.

So we'll just have to see if ATI makes it worthwhile to Ebay (or hand me down) my Fusion and go with their HDTV Wonder.

RG
post #115 of 4139 Old 06-02-2004, 03:19 PM

Quote:

Still wish it included QAM decoding.

Well we don't know it doesn't include QAM either. You would think that if the chipset is already capable, and most things are going OTA and QAM capable, why wouldn't they do it?

post #116 of 4139 Old 06-02-2004, 07:03 PM

Quote:

-MP

They indicated the software was essentially the same as the AIW, so you couldn't use both. I failed to get clear clarification if you could use the AIW as the video card minus the Analog Tuner.

They also were very clear it only supported OTA broadcast (meaning, they don't support QAM).

But then again, they swore 4-6 weeks and $110. Add another $50 for the newer remote.

As someone stated, its now June and its been past 6 weeks. It also looked like they were going to piggy back the card on a combo set according to a link posted here a week ago.

So who knows what to believe any longer.
post #117 of 4139 Old 06-03-2004, 05:50 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Originally posted by jgs9455
Well we don't know it doesn't include QAM either. You would think that if the chipset is already capable, and most things are going OTA and QAM capable, why wouldn't they do it?

Because if it could, they would be trumpeting it from the rooftops. It would be a major selling point.

post #118 of 4139 Old 06-03-2004, 06:06 AM

At this point, they are not saying very much about it at all. So again, I'll wait for the specifications. Besides, if they are using their same chipset that they use in Set Top boxes and Sony TVs, it has the capability to decode QAM built in. Maybe it would something they could release in a updated driver down the road? Maybe it just won't have QAM at the start?

Wishful thinking, I know. I'm gonna hurry up and wait.

post #119 of 4139 Old 06-03-2004, 06:14 AM
AVS Club Gold

Hehe. They do have product brochures up for it, and none of them even have a peep about QAM. It's not an easy thing to do in a PC card I guess. Just ask DVICO. And as HDTVFanatic pointed out above, they were asked and specifically said it didn't.

post #120 of 4139 Old 06-03-2004, 06:21 AM

Quote:

Hehe. They do have product brochures up for it, and none of them even have a peep about QAM. It's not an easy thing to do in a PC card I guess. Just ask DVICO. And as HDTVFanatic pointed out above, they were asked and specifically said it didn't.

Got a link to the product brochure? Did you mean press release? It's kinda vague. And I've seen different answers to the same questions from different sources.

On a different note, check out this thread about things people would like to see in the next ATI AIW. Looks like they are trying to make a add in card HTPC -

Rage3D - New Ideas to Add to AIW's (Hardware)

Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page