HDTVtoMPEG2 latest version - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 2239 Old 10-05-2004, 11:21 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks, I'll check out the soft you mention. I had thought of the dump idea in graphedit. I tried, and it kept saying that the "dump" filter could not be used, and was probably in use by another application. Can't figure it out.

Otherwise I mostly work without Virtuadub using the direct Q90/5.1 VBR encoding. It works flawlessly, and so far I have only used 720p material. I get a bit over 1 GB files for 45 minutes of film, which also puts full features on a DVD.

One of the reason to get the timecode repair is to compare that with Dr.DivX (advantage of a one-touch encoding).

By the way, I should post that on the wm9 thread, but I proudly get the encoding of 45 minutes of 720p video in 2 hours. And this with a P4 1.8GHz. Very happy.

thanks for the help, and if anyone has other ideas, let me know.

Julien
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 2239 Old 10-06-2004, 01:26 AM

Here is how I successfully edited a native Fusion .tp file and converted it to an mpeg 2 file which plays in windows media player and maintains HDTV quality.

1. Load HDTVtoMPEG2.
2. Edit out any unwanted content (commercials.)
3. Select output file type as "HiDTV," and then convert the file.

2. If "Transport Stream" is selected as the output file type it will no longer be readable by Fusion HDTV file converter.

Step 4. Run the Fusion Converter which came with the Fusion Card.

5. Go to the tools menu and select "Capture Native MPEG."

6. Load the file and convert it to mpeg.

7. When I did this, the file would then be playable in Windows Media Player (Version 10).

Does anyone have any knowledge of the mechanics of why this works, and why the HDTVtoMPEG2 doesn't work directly?

Thanks!
post #273 of 2239 Old 10-06-2004, 07:39 AM
AVS Special Member

I've used DGIndex + AVISynth + VirtualDubMod to serve the video to my encoder. VirtualDubMod allows me to edit both the video and AC3 audio before frameserving. In my case the video was HD content and the encoder was CinemaCraft, but I'm sure you could use DiVX either as a codec in VirtualDubMod or via frameserving.

Xesdeeni
post #274 of 2239 Old 10-06-2004, 07:52 AM

[quote]Originally posted by jmuffat
[b]Thanks, I'll check out the soft you mention. I had thought of the dump idea in graphedit. I tried, and it kept saying that the "dump" filter could not be used, and was probably in use by another application. Can't figure it out.

I believe that error message is because the filter isn't registered properly. Go to the exact filter location and run regsvr32 filtername.ax or .dll
post #275 of 2239 Old 10-06-2004, 02:57 PM

Oh, I thought the dump filter was a pre-installed and registered filter. But I will check that for sure.
If there are users of myHD on this thread, do they have problems with HDTV2MPEG files playing in myHD app? unlike what is mentioned in the previous post, I can play the MPEG files perfectly in media player (albeit with that time problem), but on the other hand, when I load the MPEG2 files into myHD, it plays, but the screen stays black...any idea?

Julien
post #276 of 2239 Old 10-06-2004, 03:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I have a MyHD 120 card and it will not play mpeg2 files from H2 either. From my understanding, MyHD will not play program streams (MPEG-2 files from H2), only transports streams.

post #277 of 2239 Old 10-06-2004, 04:56 PM

I use MYHD 100. It will NOT play mpeg files created by H2. But, if you demux a transport stream in SDK Graphedit via source file/ demux/ remux/ dump file.mpg, the resulting file will play fine in MYHD. I use the Elecard demux and remux "filters".
post #278 of 2239 Old 10-06-2004, 06:18 PM
AVS Special Member

It was my understanding that the original purpose of the MPEG-2 output from HDTVtoMPEG2 was to extract the MPEG information from the transport stream to a format that could be used in 3-party tools for conversion into other formats like DivX or WM9 or what ever.

What is the importance of being able to play the MPEG-2 file in MyHD? Why not leave it as a TS file? The size of a PID stripped transport stream created with the 1.11 Beta version of H2 is about the same size and sometimes smaller than the MPEG-2 file that H2 creates.

Tod,

Can you post the exact graph and filters you use? I'd like to try this myself and compare the outputs.

Cris

post #279 of 2239 Old 10-06-2004, 06:26 PM

well, I did not know about the 1.11 version, and so far I thought MPEG2 was the best output for stripping/editing and use in other apps. But will the stripped/edited ts have the same problem (i.e. some form of bad time code). I'll try.

julien
post #280 of 2239 Old 10-06-2004, 07:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Julien,

Yes. If you use H2 to remove commercials and then create a MPEG-2 file to use in 3-party tools, you will still have the time-code, audio problems.

The original version of H2 didn't have any editing capabilities. Its purpose was to convert a transport stream to an MPEG-2 file to be edited with 3rd-party tools. Over time the tool transformed into a transport stream editing tool with the basic MPEG-2 conversion still available. But using those editing features in combination with the MPEG-2 output conversion doesn't work well.

With the next release of H2 I'm hoping to fix the audio sync problems when editing transport streams and when creating MPEG-2 files after editing with H2.

Basically it comes down to this right now until the new version is released and I've fixed the editing problems.

If you will be going to 3rd party tools to re-enocde, don't use H2 to edit the file. Just use it to create an MPEG-2 file. Use VirtualDubMod or something else to do the editing.

If your just looking to cut out comercials and strip the PIDs to make the transport stream smaller then your fine using the editing features to create a new transport stream.

Cris

post #281 of 2239 Old 10-07-2004, 03:23 PM
AVS Special Member

I've been following the how-to's posted in various places. They all suggest using HDTV2MPEG2 to edit out commercials, writing out a .TS file. Then take that TS file into DVD2AVI2 to demux the AC3 stream. I take the AC3 and ac3fix it. Now with the resulting files I make an avisynth script and feed the video into VirtualDubMod

The result is usually off-sync audio and video, particularly at the commercial breaks that I edited

Now oddly if I follow this procedure but feed the video into tmpgenc and associate the .ac3 file with the DVD, the results have always been perfect. Every time I've tried to do anything other than use tmpgenc I've gotten off-sync audio and video. It may just be coincidence.

I'm going to try using virtualdubmod instead of hdtv2mpeg2 to do the commercial editing, although that's a bit sad, because the HDTV2mpeg2 commercial editor is *wonderful*! It seems that hdtv2mpeg2 introduces ac3 errors - if I don't edit the commercials I get far less errors when I run ac3fix.

Thoughts or suggestions appreciated. Thanks for the great tools

-- Rob
post #282 of 2239 Old 10-07-2004, 03:23 PM
AVS Special Member

I've been following the how-to's posted in various places. They all suggest using HDTV2MPEG2 to edit out commercials, writing out a .TS file. Then take that TS file into DVD2AVI2 to demux the AC3 stream. I take the AC3 and ac3fix it. Now with the resulting files I make an avisynth script and feed the video into VirtualDubMod

The result is usually off-sync audio and video, particularly at the commercial breaks that I edited

Now oddly if I follow this procedure but feed the video into tmpgenc and associate the .ac3 file with the DVD, the results have always been perfect. Every time I've tried to do anything other than use tmpgenc I've gotten off-sync audio and video. It may just be coincidence.

I'm going to try using virtualdubmod instead of hdtv2mpeg2 to do the commercial editing, although that's a bit sad, because the HDTV2mpeg2 commercial editor is *wonderful*! It seems that hdtv2mpeg2 introduces ac3 errors - if I don't edit the commercials I get far less errors when I run ac3fix.

Thoughts or suggestions appreciated. Thanks for the great tools

-- Rob
post #283 of 2239 Old 10-07-2004, 03:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Rob,

You are correct. Editing with H2 causes audio sync problems when re-encoding because it doesn't take into account the audio stream when doing the cutting. It cuts at an i-frame, making a clean cut in the video stream, but that often just hacks off a portion of the audio that should have been included or includes a portion of audio that should be excluded. That's one of the problems I hope to get fixed for the next release.

The audio problem doesn't appear as a sync problem (during playback)when recreating another transport stream, but it is still there. It appears as little audio burps at the cut points.

Cris

post #284 of 2239 Old 10-07-2004, 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Cris Moore
[Tod,

Can you post the exact graph and filters you use? I'd like to try this myself and compare the outputs.

Cris [/b]

Cris:

I can't figure out how to screen capture the SDK filter graph and post it here. And if I save the graph (.grf), it won't render if you don't have the same filters and files.

So, this is how I connect it. Load the .ts file as captured by MyHD into Graphedit. Insert the Moonlight-Elecard MPEG2 Demux filter. Insert the Moonlight MPEG2 MultilEx filter. Insert the Moonlight DumpPos Filter and name the save file with .mpg extension. Connect them all together. Set the Ex filter for MPEG2 stream. (Not DVD or SVCD) Run the graph. The resulting MPEG file will play in the MyHD app. To get the Moonlight encode filter, you must purchase their registered "package".

As you know, mpeg's created in H2 do not play in MyHD. But my goal is to try to clean up the stream at the edit points and the other places where there might be errors. I have a signal quality issue right now. Streams from some stations are breaking up due to weather problems. I live in an area of atmospheric "ducting" at this time of year. Stations which use microwave to get from the studio to the transmitter (STL'S) are being affected by weather conditions. Although the RF level is good into MyHD, the actual HD video is getting hosed before it goes into the TV transmitter for broadcast. Bottom line, bad recorded streams. I often get perfect reception from Chicago, over 100 miles down the lake, but get awful streams from local stations 2 miles away. Only one station has co-located studio and transmitter and it is always perfect. ( hardwired ).

I've been doing some research on the AC3 audio problem and I don't see anyway to fix it short of a de-muxing AC3 into a seperate stream and editing it "away" from the video and then putting it all back together. This seems to be how TEMPGen editor does it. Virtualdub will not append .avi's and keep lip sync. That problem is not because of H2. VirtualDub is flakey. It will progressively advance (audio gets early) the audio stream of perfect .avi's at each append point. So editing avi's together in VDub is pointless until that problem is addressed. Of course, you can pre-compensate each segment before appending, but that's a real pita as well as major guesswork.

I am open to hearing the experience of other's working to transcode HD. There are a lot of different issues here and good informatiion is scattered across this entire forum.
post #285 of 2239 Old 10-07-2004, 09:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Interesting. The stream I'm working with now (ABC's lost) has a 893ms delay in the AC3 stream. I noticed that the transport stream repair utility reduces the amount of delay between the ac3 and hdtv streams. I wonder if that would help mitigate this problem if I do it before editing.

Quote:

I've been doing some research on the AC3 audio problem and I don't see anyway to fix it short of a de-muxing AC3 into a seperate stream and editing it "away" from the video and then putting it all back together.

Yeah, I agree. Listening to the crackles and pops during commercial breaks as they switch modes on my receiver, I have a feeling that even a "pure" stream is going to require assistance keeping it in sync.

The ultimate would be to combine ac3fix and hdtvtompeg2. As the data is output, the AC3 stream could be checked to verify that each block is valid and of the correct length, and padded/cropped where necessary to keep the ac3 stream in sync with the video stream. That same logic would be needed wherever there was a break due to an edit. The result should then be two streams, both with perfectly matching lengths.

Incidentally, I gave up trying to edit the commercials in virtualdub. Painful. Slow!

-- Rob
post #286 of 2239 Old 10-07-2004, 09:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Tod,

Thanks for the description of the filters and the chain. That was all I needed. I own a copy of the Moolight MPEG player so I have the required filters.

I agree with your description of the audio problem. I should be able to modify H2 and teach it to do the following and correct the audio problem:
1 - At an "Include" mark, look ahead and find the audio packet that contains the matching PTS for the "marked" i-frame. Replace all of the audio packet up to this point with NULL packets.
2 - At an "Exclude" mark, extend the "cut" just a little bit and find the audio packet that contains the matching PTS for the "marked" i-frame. Replace all of the video packets up to this point with NULL packets.

Doing basically the above steps should take care of the audio sync problem and also have smoother audio playback for those just stripping transport streams. Thats the idea anyway.

Cris

post #287 of 2239 Old 10-08-2004, 01:37 AM
Advanced Member

Please make sure those changes don't effect the file-splitting operations. I have found the ability to chop up a transport stream into a bunch of smaller files and then later on regroup them into chunks of bigger files to be very handy. I wouldn't want to lose bits of the audio just because I split and rejoined a transport stream.
post #288 of 2239 Old 10-08-2004, 02:11 AM

I second Jah-Wren Ryel request - many of HDTV users use HDTVtoMPEG2 to split large .ts files to store them on DVD-R discs.
post #289 of 2239 Old 10-08-2004, 02:46 AM
Advanced Member

I've used HDTV2MPEG2 to edit out comercials in over 60 shows so far and have yet to have a problem with lip sync when re-muxing the ac3 stream with the virtualdub produced avi. The resultant files don't even cause my receiver to notice that commercial breaks occurred. The only thing that I may be doing different is that I produce the avi, video only, with virtualdub and then mux the ac3 stream produced by dvd2avi2 into it using virtualdubmod without doing anything else to the ac3 file. Maybe there is a clue here. Thanks for the tools...
post #290 of 2239 Old 10-08-2004, 06:51 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Kroot
I second Jah-Wren Ryel request - many of HDTV users use HDTVtoMPEG2 to split large .ts files to store them on DVD-R discs.

What .ts file size do you recommend? One 4.5GB file per DVD?

Thanks.
DonP
post #291 of 2239 Old 10-08-2004, 08:42 AM
Advanced Member

I find the latest version H2M to be the best in terms of stability. I usually keep all of my ts files at 137MB, If I make one huge file I can't use the slider on the HiPix card. I use H2M to keep just the transport stream and archive to 2 dvd-r's. I can only do half of a one hour show at a time because I like the discs to end at a commercial break.

If any changes are going to made to H2M I recommend an option to skip a number in the ts files between commercial breaks.
Example:
TVSHOW.0000.ts to TVSHOW.0007.ts
skip region encountered
TVSHOW.0009.ts to TVSHOW.0016.ts etc.

Just my 2 cents,
Rick
post #292 of 2239 Old 10-08-2004, 08:44 AM

If .RAR compressing before archiving them to DVD, I set the split size to exactly:-
286,720 KB
which is 280 MB exactly.

This is because that multiple fits brilliantly on both size DVD's at:
16 on a DVD-R with just 2MB spare
29 on a DVD+R9 DL dual layer disk again just 2MB spare.

Would there be problems splitting .TS files that small? It's something I've not tried yet.

I think this will save a huge amount of time merging/re-splitting when you want your <8.5GB material in a single dual-layer blank, now or later.

regards,
Rob.
post #293 of 2239 Old 10-08-2004, 10:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Relax Gentlemen,

The changes will not effect the way H2 does file splitting. H2 will not arbitrarily toss out any video or audio just because there is an Include or Exclude. The packet data will determine what needs to be done.

Cris

post #294 of 2239 Old 10-08-2004, 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by HiDefDon
What .ts file size do you recommend? One 4.5GB file per DVD?

Thanks.
DonP

Yeah - i always split to 4.5GB files and then before watching joinj them back on HTPC.
There is no 1 perfect .ts file player/codec combination - sometimes i must use different combinations and some players/codecs have delay between playing .ts files, so thats why i combine them back in one big .ts file before watching.
post #295 of 2239 Old 10-08-2004, 02:02 PM

Quote:

Relax Gentlemen,

The changes will not effect the way H2 does file splitting. H2 will not arbitrarily toss out any video or audio just because there is an Include or Exclude. The packet data will determine what needs to be done.

Cris

Great
post #296 of 2239 Old 10-08-2004, 02:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Relax Gentlemen,

Cris

Cris,

Just to clarify the implementation.... edit cut points will retain the matching audio and video, but the File Size Limit, will just cut the TS on 188 byte boundary, right?

I think these two cases need to be handled differently. Anyone disagree?

- Mike
post #297 of 2239 Old 10-08-2004, 03:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

but the File Size Limit, will just cut the TS on 188 byte boundary, right?

As it currently does now.
Quote:

I think these two cases need to be handled differently.

Please elaborate why.

Cris

post #298 of 2239 Old 10-08-2004, 04:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Sounds good Cris!

I did a mpeg2repair on the .ts file before running it through hdtv2mpeg2. I then edited the commercials out of the repaired file. The results seem to be better, with only a very minor difference in the video and audio lengths. Interestingly, the DVD2AVI file now sees the AC3 stream as the correct 3/2 instead fo 2/0 it did before.

Aside from whatever mpeg2repair did to the TS, It could also be I just got luckier with the edit points and AC3fix's repairing of them. The last time I tried to do this, it was with an NBC show that had clearly mangled AC3. I always ac3fix because I had another file (the American Idol finale) that was only synced properly after ac3fixing.

-- Rob
post #299 of 2239 Old 10-10-2004, 05:30 PM

Hi everyone,

I am trying to use videoredo to edit MyHD files. But before it accepts ts streams, I still use HDTVtMPEG2 to get the program stream (MPEG2). Unfortunately videoredo cannot "see" the AC3 stream. I received this reply from the coder of Videoredo:

"I found the AC3 stream, its just that some of the settings in the stream are incorrect. I'm pretty sure thats the case since all other AC3 streams play OK both in VRD and in other software players.

Technically, what's wrong is the "offset to the first ACC" unit is off by one byte. Any chance they have a later version that addresses this? "

This is the case on a small cut from a myHD ts stream made with HDTVtoMPEG2. So I don't know whether it's the cutting, or the converting to ps, or the original ts recording from MyHD that has a problem.

Any thought? I'll try the latest version, and I would also love to try the beta

cheers

Julien
post #300 of 2239 Old 10-10-2004, 06:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Julien,

PM your email address to get the Beta.

Cris