Cris

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 2239 Old 11-21-2004, 09:40 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
i have some very odd problem here with hdtv2mpeg 2 version 1.10.6...

i have here the professional in 2 .ts files but vlc player 0.8.1 just doesn't wont to open it so i tried the latest mplayer and it plays there. then i thought running the files through hdtv2mpeg2 may help and when i open the files in it, it only says the file is 337mb but it is 4.36gb. any ideas why that may be and what i can do about it?

thanks for helping

btw, i run win xp with virtual pc 7.0.1

my DVD collection <- not all dvds from me are included there ;)
post #453 of 2239 Old 11-21-2004, 10:29 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:

Originally posted by BenDERmac
i have some very odd problem here with hdtv2mpeg 2 version 1.10.6...

i have here the professional in 2 .ts files but vlc player 0.8.1 just doesn't wont to open it so i tried the latest mplayer and it plays there. then i thought running the files through hdtv2mpeg2 may help and when i open the files in it, it only says the file is 337mb but it is 4.36gb. any ideas why that may be and what i can do about it?

thanks for helping

btw, i run win xp with virtual pc 7.0.1

Ben, it looks like virtual PC thinks that files are limited to 4 GB and is giving you the file size modulo 4 GB. That may explain why they don't work properly under VPC. I suggest trying to split them into smaller pieces using software that's not seeing them through VPC (a native Mack app of some sort?) and then try the VPC-based applications.
post #454 of 2239 Old 11-21-2004, 06:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Michael,

I've fixed the bug with the PIDs being miss-matched to the Channel info. This transport stream also broke the PSIP code if you chose to keep the PSIP packets. Thanks for the sample, it uncovered 2 bugs.

The video problem is an old one. I've tried it with all previous version of H2 back to 1.09b. They all have the same problem. I've seen this problem on only a few transport streams. It's not very common. I'm going to put this one on hold until I get some other bugs taken care of since it effects only a few and will probably require significant amounts of time to debug and figure out how to fix it.

PM me if you would like to help test the build with the two new fixes. I would like the new build to go through some testing before I make it available to everyone. It's easy to fix one thing and break something else.

Cris

post #455 of 2239 Old 12-10-2004, 10:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DPlettner
A long time ago I remember Cliff mentioning that you could resolve some type of MyHD problem by chopping off the first second of a recording using H2.

i'm experiencing the "inability to ff/rew" problem that many other people are describing. i didn't think it was due to hdtvtompeg2, though, because i got the same problem when i used nullpacketstripper. furthermore, when i stripped ONLY the null packets & left extraneous subchannels in the file, i was still able to ff/rew the hd channel.

has anyone successfully used the "chopping off the first second of a recording" method described above to solve the ff/rew problem? i'm not sure how this would help because i usually pad my recordings on both ends by 15 minutes each. so i exclude an entire 15 minutes from the beginning of the recording, but i still have the ff/rew problem.

thanks.
post #456 of 2239 Old 12-10-2004, 10:46 AM
AVS Addicted Member

kpoon--

The fix that Dave was referring to had to do with files that did not begin with a "sync byte". H2 always fixes that problem if you edit the front end off of the file. However, that seems to be a different problem than the one plaguing FusionHDTV recordings of a single subchannel.
post #457 of 2239 Old 12-10-2004, 12:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Hi Kpoon,

In the posts above, Chris and I started with a recording from Fusion that would not FF or REW in MyHD, and we simply removed the first second of the recording, which resulted in a file that would FF or REW in MyHD.

In your case, it sounds like you are starting with a file that will FF and REW in MyHD, but you want to remove null packets and maintain FF and REW. To the best of my knowledge, removing null packets screws up the time base used by MyHD, so I don't think you can do this.

It would be handy to have a utility that could properly rebuild the time base. Files could be stripped of all unneeded packets before archival, and be reconstituted before playback. I know of no utility that does this.

-Dave
post #458 of 2239 Old 12-10-2004, 12:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DPlettner
It would be handy to have a utility that could properly rebuild the time base. Files could be stripped of all unneeded packets before archival, and be reconstituted before playback. I know of no utility that does this.

Dave--

Actually, Wizziwig has made such a utility, called NullPacketSaver. See post #9 in This thread for info.
post #459 of 2239 Old 12-10-2004, 01:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Pardon me for asking what may be a dumb question:

If you remove the NULL packets, I understand that the player can't calculate a delta within the file, so your FF/REW will not be accurate, but why does this mean you can't FF/REW at all?

I ask this because it looks like Fusion files are stripped, but they normally FF/REW with MyHD, although they don't jump the amount I have programmed (27 sec FF/10 sec REW). But this works OK in practice, although it takes a few more FF/REW presses to skip commercials

Xesdeeni
post #460 of 2239 Old 12-10-2004, 01:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I can't play my fusion files like that on my HiDTV card though.

It's really too bad since as many of the networks get more stingy on the bit rate a stripped file becomes small enough to save without recoding to Xvid. But it would be nice if I could play them and I use my F3Q only for recording, not on my HTPC.

- Tom

Why don't we power our electric cars from greener, cheaper Liquid Fluoride Thorium Reactors?

Tom Barry - Find my video filters at www.trbarry.com
post #461 of 2239 Old 12-10-2004, 03:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by TPeterson
Dave--

Actually, Wizziwig has made such a utility, called NullPacketSaver. See post #9 in This thread for info.

Thanks Terry, that's a great thread. I read the whole thing, and I also read the cited threads. Now I know why I have lip-sync issues when I try to convert TS files. It was also interesting to find out why an HDTV picture breaks up into six panels when there are reception problems.
post #462 of 2239 Old 12-12-2004, 03:34 PM

I'm using HDTVtoMPEG2 1.11.0 BETA.

I noticed (unfortunately after I deleted the original MyHD files)
that there's no audio in the edited .ts files I made with HDTVto
MPEG2.

I figure this problem's related to that noted by MichaelZ on a
previous page. I selected only the main channel of my local ABC
affiliate to convert - and assumed the correct audio would be
selected along with the video.

I have no problem with files which don't include sub-channel
information.

Is there an upgrade to this program which addresses the problem?

Thanks in advance to Cris for any help which might be provided.
post #463 of 2239 Old 12-12-2004, 04:05 PM
AVS Special Member

DTGallagher,

PM me your address and I'll send you a copy of the build that fixed MichaelZ problem.

Cris

post #464 of 2239 Old 01-02-2005, 08:35 PM

Any particular reason why, when I try and convert to either another TS or a MPEG2 for numerous different sources the progress window shows the entire conversion but then stops at 99% and never finishes leaving an unusable file? I am on the latest release.
post #465 of 2239 Old 01-02-2005, 08:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Methuse,

What's the source of your TS files? I haven't seen a conversion stop and not finish in quite a while.

Cris

post #466 of 2239 Old 01-02-2005, 08:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Cris Moore
I haven't seen a conversion stop and not finish in quite a while.

...and even when it did, the resulting edited files were OK up to the stopping point--which was the end for "99%" conversions.
post #467 of 2239 Old 01-03-2005, 08:28 AM

The source is a captured stream from a Comcast 6412 over firewire. I can view the TS just fine, but the converted MPEG PS never plays correctly. I downloaded the beta of HDTVtoMPEG2 and it's now completing. The result though is usually unplayable. Very unpredictable results, either no video, or unsynchronized audio. The are all being down with the same original source TS.
post #468 of 2239 Old 01-03-2005, 08:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Interesting. I've been using streams via Firewire from a 6208 (also Comcast), and I've had virtually no problems. It could be from 5C encryption. I'm just using the basics from the Comcast+Firewire thread, which capture program are you using?

"When I get sad I just stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story."
--Barney Stinson, How I Met Your Mother

Best. Surge Protector. Ever.
post #469 of 2239 Old 01-03-2005, 08:43 AM

I use CAPDVhs. If it were from encryption wouldn't I also have problems playing the captured TS? I can consistently generate a fully functional TS that is beautifully displayed with VLC. But trying to convert it just doesn't seem to work out. Also what's up with CAPDVhs not really being able to capture a PS? It's an option in the settings but it never writes out a file when I enable this.
post #470 of 2239 Old 01-03-2005, 10:31 AM
AVS Special Member

H2's conversion to MPEG2 is a hit or miss depending on the source transport stream. The algorithm used for the conversion is simple and doesn't take into consideration the different flavors of transport streams.

One thing you could try is a different decoder. Some conversions that have playback problems may playback fine using a different decoder.

post #471 of 2239 Old 01-03-2005, 10:37 AM

I'm sorry when you say different decoder, do you mean software? I've used VLC to playback what H2 has made, along with WMP, and PowerDVD. Each has very similar problems. Sorry if I have misunderstood what you meant.
post #472 of 2239 Old 01-03-2005, 10:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Well that CAN mean different software. If you use Zoom Player for example, you can choose the decoders you want to use, assuming of course you own the decoders, like the Elecard or NVidia decoders.

post #473 of 2239 Old 01-03-2005, 03:08 PM

Try running the *.ts file through MPEG2REPAIR first and then try to edit with HDTVtoMPEG2.

It might help.
post #474 of 2239 Old 01-03-2005, 07:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Also try VLC under

file=>open file=>choose TS=> check 'Stream Output' => 'Settings' button => check 'output Methods': File -> add filename => OK

Now try that resulting TS file in HDTVtoMPEG2

I use the above procedure to convert MPG to TS, but it might make the right format of TS that you can use with H2.
post #475 of 2239 Old 01-03-2005, 10:59 PM

cbagger01> I like your idea, but where do I obtain MPEG2REPAIR?

BenCJedi> I had tried that with no success. Interestingly enough a much smaller file than the source is generated with no audio or video. When I timeshift through the TS created by VLC this way it only shows about 3/4 of the video from top to bottom, and also turns to a totally black screen about 1/3 the way through the recording. This same VLC generated file, plays perfectly in VLC. High weirdness.

This is very frustrating since it was working fine for a while with many different programs. I'm tempted to image my machine, flatten it and test again.
post #476 of 2239 Old 01-03-2005, 11:07 PM

I am having a weird problem...

My captured video seems to convert to MPEG2 OK but won't play in Windows Media Player 10. It plays fine in PowerDVD, but just to clarify... when I say doesn't play in WMP I am talking' it crashes WMP 10 completely.

Anyone else experience anything like this?

--
Travis Bell
post #477 of 2239 Old 01-03-2005, 11:25 PM
AVS Special Member

travis,

It's really not that weird once you realize what's going on. When you use PowerDVD you use the filters (decoders) supplied by PowerDVD. When you use WMP, WMP has to build a filter graph on the fly in order to play the file. The filters WMP selects are from the available filters based on their merit. What's probably happening is that the filter graph that WMP created includes a filter that isn't as robust as the one that PowerDVD is using. Thats one of the features that makes Zoom Player popular. You can tell Zoom Player exactly which filters to use and how to build the filter graph for a particular file type.

post #478 of 2239 Old 01-03-2005, 11:59 PM

That what all that graph talk was! Gotcha

Maybe you can lend me some info about the only other small problem I am having.

I use Meedio to watch all my vids, and have used the PowerDVD codecs w/ SPDIF audio out for a long time and it works perfectly. If I play the raw .ts file it will play OK within Meedio I just can't fast forward to rewind. If I play the file put through HDTVtoMPEG2 I get video, with the ability to fast forward and rewind but no audio! I should mention that I have the audio in PowerDVD OK... just when using it w/ Meedio's player. Strangest thing...

Is there a logical explanation for this?

Lastly, I get some picture glitches on the HDTVtoMPEG2 file that aren't evident on the raw source... is that normal?

Thanks!!

--
Travis Bell
post #479 of 2239 Old 01-04-2005, 08:23 AM

I am still using WMP-9. When I first tried playing MPEG-2 HD it wouldn't play them either. I had to load and register a 3rd party Mpeg decoder in my system. I use the Moonlight Elecard decoder now. It's free to try and cheap to buy. It plays anything I throw at it including raw TS. Google it up. With the Elecard decoder registered, WMP9 will play Mpeg HD and WMedia encoder will transcode it to WMVideo, but I am uncertain as to what was changed for WM10, so no guarantees.
post #480 of 2239 Old 01-04-2005, 09:39 AM

Methuse,

You can get MPEG2REPAIR here:

http://users.adelphia.net/~mwilczyn/mpeg2repair/

In my limited experience, it does the job well for my slightly corrupt OTA transport streams.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page