Forum Jump: 

post #541 of 2239 Old 01-31-2005, 06:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

1) could you add a setting to the .ini file to set the clip size and to enable/disable clipping.

If your referring to the new "Clips" feature then the answer is no. The size of the "Clip" is based on your edit points so the "Clip" size is dynamic. The "Clips" button is a toggle button. When "Clip" mode is on, the "Max Size" entry box is dimmed.

BTW, Clip mode is not supported when creating MPEG2 files even it you have it selected. It was only implemented for TS output.
Quote:

could you make all the fast forward/reverse buttons repeat (either when you hold down the mouse button or repeat until a second mouse click.

As a faster way of scrolling through the transport stream I was thinking about hooking that up to the mouse movement. Perhaps when you hold the Ctrl key down and scroll the mouse right or left. The faster you scroll the mouse the more i-frames you skip. Just a thought.

Quote:

there appear to be more problems than just audio syncing when converting to mpeg

Yes, there can be video syncing problems as well. The MPEG2 output needs to be revamped to be able to handle problem streams where the video and\\or audio is not synced nicely in the transport stream.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 2239 Old 01-31-2005, 07:14 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:

Originally posted by Teeps
octavian

I record Reba and What I Like About You with MyHD MDP100. I'm using the latest non beta version of HD2MPEG to edit both shows. No problem with audio... Play sound back through MyHD spdif or M-Audion Revo 7 spdif

Yes, it is only the beta that strips packets that is having problems. The latest non-beta works for me also.

octavian
post #543 of 2239 Old 02-04-2005, 12:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
@HiDefDon\\octavian,

I believe I have fixed the PID swapping problem unique to your two transport streams.

HiDefDon I will sent you the latest build to check out.

octavian PM me your address and I will send you the latest build too.

@TPeterson,

I fixed the PIDs drop down box problem that only displayed 1 line for W2K. Will send you the latest build too.

Will need to do a bit of testing with this build before making it available for everyone just to make sure I didn't break anything.

Cris

post #544 of 2239 Old 02-04-2005, 03:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Okay this is an easy thing to add to H2M2 that was suggested to me. Have the program be able to load multiple .tri files for a batch processing capability.
post #545 of 2239 Old 02-05-2005, 12:15 AM

I am running into a problem with the time length of the output files of HDTV2MPEG2 when cutting commericals out and outputting as transport streams. Both mpc and FusionHDTV report this wrong total time length, as do the demuxed mpv outputs from ProjectX. I believe that demux6200test outputs files with the correct time length, but does that mean that there is a bug in HDTV2MPEG2 outputs that demux6200 corrects and that ProjectX doesn't, or does it mean that ProjectX has a bug in it's demuxing?

This time problem carries over when using these demuxed file in Gordian Knot and these ts files in NeroVision Express. Because of this, Gordian Knot gets confused by the wrong time and calculates the wrong bitrate for the output file and errors ensue, and NeroVision Express creates a DVD with ten minutes of blank black picture at the end, effectively wasting bits.

I have tried rebuilding the ts with ProjectX, and all that did was create a larger ts file by about 300 MB, with the same time problem. I have tried running the ts files through mpeg2repair and NullPacketStripper. mpeg2repair finds nothing wrong, and NullPacketStripper actually won't even work on any tested ts with commericals cut out by HDTV2MPEG2, it brings up some sort of truncation error.

Any ideas? By the way, this happens with all ten seperate shows that I have in ts form on my hard drive at the moment.
post #546 of 2239 Old 02-05-2005, 11:10 AM

When you edit out commercials from any mpeg stream, you end up joining segments with holes in time stamp continueity. This may or may not be a problem, depending on how you use the new stream. I have found an editing program that re-builds the time stamps and re-syncs the audio and thus produces perfect edited mpeg streams. It is called VideoReDo. You can google it up if interested. You get a 20 day free trial. $50 to buy. Essentially like H2, but it decodes, rebuilds, then re-encodes the stream at the edit points. So, you can edit on any I, P,or B frame and keep audio sync. It also includes a tools to repair streams with minor damage as well as new time stamps. While not the easiest editor I have ever worked with, the results from VideoReDo are streams which encode to WM9HD without a hitch and with perfect audio sync through edit points.
post #547 of 2239 Old 02-05-2005, 11:24 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 17
"Any ideas?"

mmortal03, you don't mention trying Balazer's TStoATSC. It's worth a shot.
post #548 of 2239 Old 02-05-2005, 12:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by tecqboy
I have found an editing program that re-builds the time stamps and re-syncs the audio and thus produces perfect edited mpeg streams. It is called VideoReDo. You can google it up if interested. You get a 20 day free trial. $50 to buy. Essentially like H2, but it decodes, rebuilds, then re-encodes the stream at the edit points. So, you can edit on any I, P,or B frame and keep audio sync. It also includes a tools to repair streams with minor damage as well as new time stamps. While not the easiest editor I have ever worked with, the results from VideoReDo are streams which encode to WM9HD without a hitch and with perfect audio sync through edit points.

If you are going to re-encode the TS, then why copy gigs of data? There are ways to edit while frameserving to the encoder, to skip the intermediate step. I prefer VirtualDubMod, but there may be others.

Xesdeeni
post #549 of 2239 Old 02-05-2005, 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by TPeterson
"Any ideas?"

mmortal03, you don't mention trying Balazer's TStoATSC. It's worth a shot.

How do you use it to rebuild transport streams? From what I understand, it just splits a ts into 137 MB segments.
post #550 of 2239 Old 02-05-2005, 05:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Originally posted by mmortal03
How do you use it to rebuild transport streams? From what I understand, it just splits a ts into 137 MB segments.

Yes, it makes a bunch of tiny files but also does some fixing of non-standard PIDs. You can then use, e.g., HDTVtoMPEG2 or a simple DOS COPY to rejoin the tiny files together. It may not solve your problem but, since you didn't mention trying it, I thought I bring it to your attention.
post #551 of 2239 Old 02-06-2005, 08:00 AM

Quote:

You can then use, e.g., HDTVtoMPEG2 or a simple DOS COPY to rejoin the tiny files together.

Thanks, I will try this, I did not realize that the pieces could be rejoined so standardly.
post #552 of 2239 Old 02-06-2005, 08:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

Originally posted by mmortal03
Thanks, I will try this, I did not realize that the pieces could be rejoined so standardly.

I modified TStoATSC not to split files any more, adding also an automatic detection of PID numbers.

If you want this version, PM me with your e-mail.

Robert
post #553 of 2239 Old 02-06-2005, 03:02 PM

I tried it, and after rejoining the files, it still did not fix the time problem.

What I did get working, like I mentioned before, was demuxing it with demux6200. That was the only way to fix the timing issue. Demuxing with ProjectX won't do it. After that, I inputted the separate video and audio into NeroVision Express, and got perfect results. So, if anybody is looking for a good way to put HDTV on DVD:

1.) HDTV2MPEG2 to remove commercials, output to ts
2.) demux with demux6200 (xport.exe), this will fix the timing issues
3.) rename the mpv to mpg and open it inside NeroVision Express (Make Video -> DVD-Video -> Add Video Files)
4.) Choose Edit Movie -> Display Media Tab -> drag audio file to Audio 1
5.) Do any other configurations, and let NeroExpress transcode and burn it.

to robena: I will PM you and try the modified version, and see if it will fix the timing problem.

It would seem to me that more people would have been running into this same problem with the timing being off after using HDTV2MPEG2. Can anyone confirm?
post #554 of 2239 Old 02-06-2005, 04:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

mmortal03, I've not burned many HDTV programs to stand-alone DVD, because I prefer to keep them in HiRez, but I have done some tests and some SDTV and I see no A/V sync issues when using HDTVtoMPEG2-edited TS in NVE3. I have seen extra black&quiet minutes at the end but I imagine this takes very little DVD space, since all those zeroes will MPEG compress extremely well.

Are you using the latest NVE updates?
post #555 of 2239 Old 02-06-2005, 04:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Send a message via Yahoo to JDLIVE
tecqboy, how do you get VideoReDo to open a transport stream? I have the demo and when I try to do this it tells me "transports streams not supported, convert to a program stream". The version I have is 1.6.2.284, from Oct 2004.
post #556 of 2239 Old 02-06-2005, 08:24 PM

I just tried VideoReDo too, but also cannot open transport streams. Won't work for me then.
post #557 of 2239 Old 02-06-2005, 09:30 PM

Try going to the VideoReDo web site and get the latest beta version from January 2005.
post #558 of 2239 Old 02-06-2005, 10:39 PM

Quote:

mmortal03, I've not burned many HDTV programs to stand-alone DVD, because I prefer to keep them in HiRez, but I have done some tests and some SDTV and I see no A/V sync issues when using HDTVtoMPEG2-edited TS in NVE3. I have seen extra black&quiet minutes at the end but I imagine this takes very little DVD space, since all those zeroes will MPEG compress extremely well.

Are you using the latest NVE updates?

I must have not clarified what I am refering to, sorry about that. I am not seeing any A/V sync issues, what I am seeing is, when playing back these commercials-cut transport streams in FusionHDTV, the total time is not reported correctly. Also, the seconds do not tick correctly, sometimes skipping ahead 3 or 4 seconds. After demuxing these with ProjectX and playing back the mpvs in WMP and MPC, the total time is still not displayed correctly. When encoding these, this is the reason FOR the black at the end, because the encoding programs are using this wrong total time to calculate bitrates, etc.

The only program that I have found that will demux these ts'es and fix this is demux6200. I have not found any programs, or ways of using existing programs to repair the ts files themselves.

I did not do tests to see how much extra space the black at the end is taking up, but regardless, this SHOULD not be an issue, and is not professional looking. Also, a result of this is that the total time of the DVD is presented wrong. This problem adds a useless step to the process as well, because if the transport streams had the correct total time, I could directly drag them to NeroVision Express, and would not need to demux them.
post #559 of 2239 Old 02-07-2005, 12:55 AM

Hmm, I just cut all the commericals out of the Super Bowl, and then demuxed it with demux6200, and the output did NOT have the total time corrected. An easy way to tell is that the mpa is 3:03 (very likely the correct time), whereas the mpv is 4:23!

So now I am back to square one. I must have done something different with the other transport stream that I have forgotten about, PRIOR to demuxing. Apparently, demux6200 isnt the complete savior that I thought it was. I will try to figure this out and post my results.

Edit: I read back through the entire thread again, it had been a while, and I seached for "timestamp". I am guessing that the recalculation of the timestamp information that Cris refers to in the following post is what needs to be added to HDTV2MPEG2 to correct this problem. What I don't understand is how I was able to correct it somehow when demuxing at some point, and then at other times I have been unable to. Also, it seems necessary to me that these demuxing programs add an option to ignore the timestamping and recalculate the displayed time themselves, at least until Cris can correct this in H2. (If, this really is the problem.) Is this timestamping actually just a part of the mpeg2 video, and iis it just being extracted along with it in the demuxing process?

from http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...72#post3863872

Quote:

I had gotten to the point where I was displaying the PTS timestamp for the i-frame that was being displayed, then I stopped. I'm not convinced that using the PTS information is the best solution. Although using the PTS data would be accurate for TS files that have had NULL packets removed, it would be inaccurate for any TS file that have had commercials removed. I'm thinking that the best way might be to calculate the TS rate and use that for the time display information. Although it wouldn't be exactly perfect, it should be pretty good and work for every TS file whether NULL packet or commercials or both had been removed. However, I haven't spent any time lately working on that problem or working on H2 for that matter.

post #560 of 2239 Old 02-07-2005, 01:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:

Apparently, demux6200 isnt the complete savior that I thought it was.

The "savior" feature of xport.exe is reinsertion of GOP timecodes in video
streams that have no GOP headers/timecodes at all.

However, on video streams that do have GOP headers/timecodes (such as
the FOX network encoder), xport.exe does not change the GOP timecodes
at all.

I can make you a version of xport.exe that overwrites the GOP timecode
with a linear running timecode. This should fix your edited Super Bowl stream.
It's a pretty easy fix, so I should have it ready by tomorrow night (left coast
time).

BTW, when a Transport Stream is demuxed, all the PTS/DTS timestamps are
discarded.

Ron

HD MPEG-2 Test Patterns http://www.w6rz.net
post #561 of 2239 Old 02-07-2005, 06:10 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

time).

When a commercial is cut from a stream it means both an integral number of video frames and an integral number of audio frames are cut out. But this probably means that the difference in time stamps of the video and audio does not quite match after the break. Then when cutting a 2nd and 3rd commercial this drift might become cumulative, eventually causing sync issues.

Is it possible to adjust for this somehow at the time of editing such that the video-audio difference has no cumulative drift? Some programs check this difference at the beginning and use it for various sync calcs.

- Tom

Why don't we power our electric cars from greener, cheaper Liquid Fluoride Thorium Reactors?

Tom Barry - Find my video filters at www.trbarry.com
post #562 of 2239 Old 02-07-2005, 09:47 AM

Well, thanks to all, you have been greatly helpful. Just to verify all this, I ran the Super Bowl through mpeg2repair. Reading the log, it states that there were "4785.831320 seconds of video timestamp gaps found". This is the difference between the mpa and mpv times that I mentioned earlier.

Quote:

The "savior" feature of xport.exe is reinsertion of GOP timecodes in video
streams that have no GOP headers/timecodes at all.

However, on video streams that do have GOP headers/timecodes (such as
the FOX network encoder), xport.exe does not change the GOP timecodes
at all.

time).

Excellent, so I was actually not having random results. Foxy!

I would greatly appreciate a copy of xport.exe that uses a linear running timecode. Questions: Will the audio stream also be corrected, or is this not needed? I have not found that the ac3 stream has needed correcting as far as the total time displayed, but, when running the resulting audio stream though ac3fix, it DOES catch some other errors. Are there any possible audio/video syncing issues that could arise from running the audio through ac3fix? I would just like clarification.

Quote:

BTW, when a Transport Stream is demuxed, all the PTS/DTS timestamps are discarded.

I assume this does NOT mean, however, that the timestamps are not used in some way by the demuxing process, because in these cases, the resulting video stream still displays an incorrect total time, at least in my tests.
post #563 of 2239 Old 02-07-2005, 10:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member

mmortal, I really don't understand your problem. If you're wanting to make STB-type DVD archives, you can burn them directly from the H2-edited TS in NVE3 with complete A/V sync. And if you don't like to have the 10-minutes of black screen at the ends, you can edit that off very easily in the NVE editor prior to the burn. What am I missing here??
post #564 of 2239 Old 02-07-2005, 03:09 PM

I am not having syncing issues. Let me be more specific.

No one likes to take pointless extraneous steps just to compensate for an apparently easy to implement feature, but thank you for your mentioning of manually ediing the black space out. I am not complaining, just learning and discussing what would make HDTV2MPEG2 more complete. While, at the moment, HDTV2MPEG2's lack of a feature to correct the timestamps is creating unneed external steps for the user, like all free software, until Cris Moore finds the time, I will deal with it. The whole issue here (and with software in general) is to optimize the process to take as few steps as possible. And through my dealings with the problem, I have gradually brought this up in the last day or two.

Yes, until the feature is built into HDTV2MPEG2 to reconstruct the timestamps after cutting out commericals, I will manually edit out the black space at the end in NeroVision Express, or demux it with what was proposed above and then feed the audio and video do into it that way, even if it takes up more temporary space on my hard drive.

But, just to explain another reason why the issue I am bringing up is important, let me give you another example. Say I want to take one of these transport streams and encode it with Xvid, I will need to be able to demux it properly, even if the source itself contains errors in the timestamping (these do). Also, if I want to archive these transport stream outputs from HDTV2MPEG2, I want them to be correctly timestamped (who wouldn't?)
This is why eventually I hope that a feature is incorporated into HDTV2MPEG2 to correct this.

Maybe I am misinterpreting your posts, but hopefully you are not complaining about my posts. I am on topic, and others are being very helpful, and I am making progress here.
post #565 of 2239 Old 02-07-2005, 04:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

mmortal--

I'm not complaining either, I just don't understand your issue. The timestamps in the edited H2 files merely contain discontinuities--that doesn't make them "wrong"--the audio and video packets still correctly match. Removing the discontinuities would be nice but it's certainly unnecessary for proper playback, since TS streams contain such events all the time.

OTOH, NVE is "wrong" to assume that the difference between the timestamps at the beginning and end of a given file equals its length! I expect that Ahead Software will eventually fix this. (After all, so far, they don't even admit to handling TS files at all, as evidenced by the lack of ".ts", ".tp", etc. in the file-open dialog! This may be one reason why. ) But for now it seems to me that using the built-in editor to manually set the end time of the file in NVE is a whole lot simpler than demuxing the files, ferhevvinsake.
post #566 of 2239 Old 02-07-2005, 05:40 PM

Using that example, FusionHDTV, ProjectX, and xport.exe are all wrong too then. More practically, when a user cuts out the commericals, he doesn't want the old timestamping to remain, because it has no practical use in that standalone file anymore. Instead, he wants the new file to have correct timing as if the commercials were never there. I could understand the argument that he might want to rejoin all of it later, and if you are using HDTV2MPEG2 to simply split up a file to rejoin later, then in that case, you could either disable any linear timestamp correcting, or you could just have it be corrected at the rejoining point as well. No harm either way. Yes, it should be optional, but at least HAVE IT. What I don't understand is what YOU are getting at. If anything, your posts only display laziness to do things the right way, and negativity in trying to discourage progress. I can't believe on a computer and tech forum that someone would try to influence others to shy away from their attempts to apply more accuracy and convenience to a piece of software or a process.

Also, while I don't want to get into arguing semantics, to clarify,yes, you may be right in that what HDTV2MPEG2 is doing isn't wrong, but apparantly, you also did not understand what I meant. By leaving discontinuities, this forces other programs to not process these transport streams in the prefered way. So no, HDTV2MPEG2's cutting isn't wrong, but it isn't trying to help anybody either. By not giving an option to correct these discontinuities, it is limiting itself and the practical uses of the files it outputs. HDTV2MPEG2 is the cause of the discontinuities, and it should have the option to correct them, when most likely this IS what would be preferred.

It is the same thing as if an mp3 splitter program did not give the option to correct the headers. Yeah, the mp3 might playback correctly, but its displayed timing and seeking would be off, and who wants that?

Btw, I am not having any problem with proper playback. They playback perfectly fine. But the time displayed is wrong, and seeking is wrong during playback as well. Being able to visualize how much time has elapsed, and how long is left becomes impossible, other than the relative position of the seeker bar. Also, just because discontinuities happen "all the time" in TS streams does not make it right or preferable.

Also, you missed what I said that if I need to encode into Divx, or Xvid. In that case I DO need to be able to demux and have the output contain the correct timestamping. As I discussed early, it otherwise throws off even MORE programs.
post #567 of 2239 Old 02-07-2005, 06:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

mmortal03--

I give up. My points were that (1) there is an easy way to make DVDs from TS files, which was what I thought (evidently incorrectly) that you wanted to do, and (2) no software should rely upon absolute continuity in TS-file timestamps, because even the raw TS streams all have discontinuities. But far be it from me to hold up your "progress". Go have fun.
post #568 of 2239 Old 02-07-2005, 06:56 PM

Quote:
mmortal03--

I give up. My points were that (1) there is an easy way to make DVDs from TS files, which was what I thought (evidently incorrectly) that you wanted to do, and (2) no software should rely upon absolute continuity in TS-file timestamps, because even the raw TS streams all have discontinuities.

Yeah, I do want to be able to make DVDs easily, and you mentioned a way to do it, but I never said that I JUST wanted to make DVDs. I am also interested in archiving my transport streams, encoding them to MPEG4, and anything else. I agree, no software should rely upon absolute continuity in TS-file timestamps. We SHOULD, however, have a way to linearize the remaining timestamps after cutting a transport stream, so that if programs or people DO want to make use of the timestamps, they can. It seems to me that if HDTV2MPEG2 is creating the discontinuities, then it should be doing the correcting of the timestamps, if the user requires it.

I mean, if there is another program that will do the correction, that is cool too, it just seems best suited to HDTV2MPEG2. I am not angry or anything, TPeterson, hopefully you see this as nothing more than just a civil discussion, and we simply have different opinions. You are fine with what we already have, and I am wanting a feature that you have no use for. That 's fine; hopefully someone else that is interested can work on it and help me out.

One thing I don't understand is why anything would be wrong with "progress". This progress isn't something that is personally mine, usually, in, for example, an open source community, or in this case a hobbyist forum, progress is what comes out of contructive discussion, improving upon each other's work, and suggesting new ideas.
post #569 of 2239 Old 02-07-2005, 07:48 PM
AVS Addicted Member

There's nothing wrong with real progress. The problem comes from perpetuating the notion that TS timestamps can be used for calculating intervals in files. Software, whether players or editors, should not do that because it's unreliable. They need to use the bitrate and number of bits instead. The timestamps are there mainly for matching up the A/V packets for playback--not for telling an editor that a file is, say, 44 or 55 minutes long.
post #570 of 2239 Old 02-07-2005, 08:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Here's the update to xport. The -g option enables GOP timecodes to be
overwritten with a contiguous timecode starting at 0:0:0:0. In this version,
there's no accounting for drop-frame timecode at 29.97 fps, so there will
be a 0.1 percent error in running time versus GOP timecode for 29.97 fps
video bitstreams.

The -g option can be used to fix two other GOP timecode problems:

1) GOP timecodes are all 00:00:00:00

2) GOP timecode counting method for inverse telecine. Some tools want the
timecode to reflect the number of input frames and some tools want the timecode
to reflect the number of coded frames. The default is to count coded frames,
but the -t option will force counting of input frames (which gives an
accurate running time in the GOP timecode). BTW, you can tell if a video
bitstream has inverse telecine when xport finishes and dumps the number
of mpeg frames and video fields. If video fields is greater than twice
mpeg frames, then inverse telecine was present.

Give it a try and see if it does what you want.

For others that haven't used xport before, usage is:

xport <-pavtdszng>

typically:

xport something.ts 1 1 1

The output files are always named bits0001.mpv for video and bits0001.mpa for
audio. Unless the -n option is used, the demuxer will time align the beginning
of the two elementary streams so that a remux to PS or back to TS will have
correct A/V sync.

Options:

p = parse only, do not demux to video and audio files.
a = dump audio PTS.
v = dump video PTS.
t = GOP timecode mode, count repeated fields/frames.
d = dump all PID's (useful for debugging muxers, but tons of output).
s = suppress TS rate dumping (useful when piping output to a file).
z = demux to PES streams (instead of elementary streams).
n = demux all audio, don't try to cut the start of audio to match the start of video
g = overwrite GOP timecodes with contiguous timecode starting at 00:00:00:00

Ron

HD MPEG-2 Test Patterns http://www.w6rz.net
Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page