Originally posted by stjr
What ever happened to "GrantR" and the original H2 versions 1.09 beta and 1.10? I still use the 1.09 beta for my TS file splitting.
Hah, good timing, stjr. The first time I log on in half a year and there's someone asking about me. What happened? I got a bit sick of spending all my spare time coding when I spend all my time at work coding too, and decided to spend my time on other things.
I just finished up reading through 6 months of this thread, you guys should all be thankful for Cris taking such an active interest in continuing development!
BTW, I just earlier today removed my links and files off my website, as they're well out of date now, so that link Cris just posted won't work any more.
Re: speed issues
nabsltd, I wasn't happy with the original file copying speed when I began development on H2, and spent some time beating it over the head with a large multithreaded many-MB-chunk copying stick. You'd be hard pressed to get much more speed out of it. The limits (at least when I last looked at the source code) were pretty much in the OS's ability to do multithreaded file access - which Windows is usually fairly good at, so on a dual drive copy that limit should be close to the write speed of the destination drive. On my three different PCs I've edited on that has always held true. Newer versions may be doing more processing of the data as it is copied, however.
Re: commercial scanning
I can't quite remember where the current scan technique is at. I think I got sidetracked off to other things in the middle of developing it, then one day accidentally left the scan button active for a release
If I remember correctly, it just scans through the file linearly. That was the simple case, for developing the 4x3 detection algorithms. Unfortunately it is slow, I can edit out the commercials by hand faster than that method can scan a whole file
I wanted to implement a skip search algorithm, looking through the file in 30s or 60s intervals and then narrowing in on the transition points from there, which should have made it find commercials in under a minute. The 4x3 detection is nowhere near as simple as you might first think - almost no network around here actually has clean black borders! Fox for instance had borders that are almost black. Sometimes the borders are grey or have filler pictures in them. Sometimes there are network logos in there that spin and animate which ruins detection for static edges. Sometimes the borders actually vary in intensity a little bit while the 4x3 content is playing. Then there's all the parts of a show that end up getting tagged as commercial too. Soon more and more 16x9 commercials will show up and render this whole 4x3 detection method obsolete anyway.
I'm looking forward to seeing Cris's new audio cut fixes
Chopping the ac3 packets off in random places at the cut points is really not the correct way to do it, but I never did get around to reading up on the audio stream format to try to figure that part out.
ok, so after a few random comments and answers, let's see if I disappear again for another 6 months.