post #721 of 2239 Old 04-07-2005, 09:34 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

Originally posted by johnnyhd
IOne question I do have is:
Last month I recorded the Academy Awards from ABC (7.1). When I edit the file, I cannot FF/RW. This 7.1 problem is mentioned above, and this is the only problem I do have with any file. I have since upgraded my MyHD software to the latest beta (which came out after the Academy Awards), so I don't expect this problem to occur in the future. However, Is there something I can do to this file either before or after I process with HDTV2MPEG to retained the FF/RW status?

Thanks Again,
John

I have had the exact same problem for the last few weeks with UPN recordings. Inside HTDV2MPEG Ver 1.11.0 Beta (Build 037) I can open the .tp file but not ff/rew by anything under 1 minute increments.

The unedited file plays great in MyHD Ver 1.65 and the FF/Rew works great inside MyHD. It is just editing the file in HDTV2MPEG that is the issue.

All other stations except UPN can be edited perfectly with HDTV2MPEG.

Any Ideas?

Doug

Fight Eminent Domain Abuse!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 2239 Old 04-07-2005, 09:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Guys, my first effort; please be kind. I am trying to use H2M2 to simply edit commercials out of a MyHD MDP-130 OTA HD recording, and then play it back again using the MDP, but the result is teeming with random pixelation. It's synchronized, and plays all-the-way thru, but it's as if my PC is not able to "keep up" with the stream. The recording is of the last "NYPD Blue", so I edited this hourlong show from 8+Gb down to 41 minutes and 4.8Gb.

The fact that the pixelation is random suggests to me that the edit is OK (indeed the edit points themselves are clean), just that the PC doesn't like the edited stream or otherwise can't keep up. But arguing against a CPU speed or PCI bus problem is the fact that the Original program plays just fine, and so do things like Timeshift. Further, the original program had another sub-channel embedded (that I selected-out w/H2M2)--wouldn't you think the subsequent stream would be simpler thus easier to play?

So I think maybe my H2M2 setup might be wrong, but don't know how; heck there AREN'T many settings to mess with. Should it play-back the same whether I select Transport Stream or MPEG???

Can y'all please suggest some places to look, before I start messing w/stuff like Pinnacle's PPE (PCI performance enhancement) utility, or overclocking, etc.? FWIW I'm using a Shuttle w/VIA C3 800MHz CPU, and Maxtor 200Gb HDD running at UDMA5, but like I said it works w/more difficult tricks like timeshifting.
post #723 of 2239 Old 04-07-2005, 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by TPeterson
Actually, it's "caused" by the way MyHD's playback app (prior to the current beta) treated VBR recordings. It would refuse the FF/REW step when it found that the PCR was too far from where it would be in a CBR stream. This restriction was lifted in the current beta (1.65.0.x) so that it will FF/REW any file--with the down side that the FF/REW jumps may be rather different-sized timesteps than expected.

I may be reading it wrong, but I think he is talking about the FF/Rew feature inside HDTV2MPEG while he edits out commercials. If he is, I am having the same problem. I have two Myhd Setups, one running 1.65 and the other on 1.63 and I get the same results inside HDTV2MPEG on UPN recordings no matter which MyHD setup I record it with.

Doug

post #724 of 2239 Old 04-07-2005, 10:01 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Doug et al. with H2 stepping problems--

You need to get Build 51, which fixed H2's stepping in VBR files.
post #725 of 2239 Old 04-07-2005, 10:07 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Laserfan
Guys, my first effort; please be kind. I am trying to use H2M2 to simply edit commercials out of a MyHD MDP-130 OTA HD recording, and then play it back again using the MDP, but the result is teeming with random pixelation. It's synchronized, and plays all-the-way thru, but it's as if my PC is not able to "keep up" with the stream. The recording is of the last "NYPD Blue", so I edited this hourlong show from 8+Gb down to 41 minutes and 4.8Gb.

The fact that the pixelation is random suggests to me that the edit is OK (indeed the edit points themselves are clean), just that the PC doesn't like the edited stream or otherwise can't keep up. But arguing against a CPU speed or PCI bus problem is the fact that the Original program plays just fine, and so do things like Timeshift. Further, the original program had another sub-channel embedded (that I selected-out w/H2M2)--wouldn't you think the subsequent stream would be simpler thus easier to play?

So I think maybe my H2M2 setup might be wrong, but don't know how; heck there AREN'T many settings to mess with. Should it play-back the same whether I select Transport Stream or MPEG???

Can y'all please suggest some places to look, before I start messing w/stuff like Pinnacle's PPE (PCI performance enhancement) utility, or overclocking, etc.? FWIW I'm using a Shuttle w/VIA C3 800MHz CPU, and Maxtor 200Gb HDD running at UDMA5, but like I said it works w/more difficult tricks like timeshifting.

This is almost certainly an effect of the bit-rate variability introduced into the file by the editing out of subchannels and null packets. I suggest two possible solutions: Use a software player for the file (WinDVD, WMP, ZP, etc) or wait for a few more iterations of MyHD's software, which is evolving in this area.
post #726 of 2239 Old 04-07-2005, 10:17 AM

Quote:

When you say random, do you mean that you see a pixelation in a particular scene, rewind and can see the same scene this time without pixelation?

It could be as simple as your drive being fragmented. A 720p .tp file will need 19 Mb/s sustained rate.

Download this HD test http://www.benchmarkhq.ru/fclick/fclick.php?fid=272 to see what you are actually acheiving. Just note that this test shows results in MB/s not Mb/s so you have to multiply results by 8 to get in Mb/s

Doug

post #727 of 2239 Old 04-07-2005, 10:26 AM

Quote:

Doug et al. with H2 stepping problems--

You need to get Build 51, which fixed H2's stepping in VBR files.

Just downloaded it and it solved my problem.

Thanks!

Doug

post #728 of 2239 Old 04-07-2005, 05:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Doug Mohr
When you say random, do you mean that you see a pixelation in a particular scene, rewind and can see the same scene this time without pixelation?

It could be as simple as your drive being fragmented. A 720p .tp file will need 19 Mb/s sustained rate...

Yes, that's right, the pixelation is in different places w/new replays.

I had thought of fragmentation and then forgot to check it (!) though in theory it SHOULD BE ok given I only have 30Gb or so in use out of 200. But I'll also look at the transfer speed question, & I need to triple-check the BIOS setting on the drive, given I've had Windows lie to me before about UDMA setting. Thanks!
post #729 of 2239 Old 04-08-2005, 10:13 PM
AVS Special Member

I can't let this thread drop to Page 5!!! In response to my pixelation problem Terry said:
Quote:

This is almost certainly an effect of the bit-rate variability introduced into the file by the editing out of subchannels and null packets. I suggest two possible solutions: Use a software player for the file (WinDVD, WMP, ZP, etc) or wait for a few more iterations of MyHD's software, which is evolving in this area.

This didn't register in my brain when I saw it the 1st time. So I'm to understand that there is presently no way to edit-out commercials on HD recordings, and play them back on my HDTV glitch-free using the MDP? Really? So I guess people are using this tool strictly in the context of getting their programs to a standalone DVD player?

This surprises me, though I certainly can live with it, at least for the time being when my 200Gb hard drive is sitting mostly idle-and-empty. Man, there is junk on OTA TV these days. Glad there are DVDs-by-mail...
post #730 of 2239 Old 04-08-2005, 10:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Laserfan--

Actually, I was not suggesting that others aren't playing glitch-free H2-edited files on their MDPs, just that you might find better results with the particular files you're having trouble with by using a sw player. I should add that you also could do the edits in H2 while keeping the output in a more MyHD-friendly CBR form by adding "PreserveBitRate=1" to its INI file.

I actually haven't seen MyHD pixelate VBR files, but since it was designed for CBR play and the files play OK before editing, I'm guessing that what you're seeing is due to VBR content of the edited file. The current beta version of the MyHD app is better at handling FF/REW of VBR files and may be less prone to the problem you're seeing too.
post #731 of 2239 Old 04-09-2005, 09:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Since you probably know this off-the-cuff Terry, what other settings should I use for "editing HD for MyHD HD playback" along w/PreserveBitRate? Sorry I'm away from my HD2MPG2 machine at the moment: Save As ... ts or mpeg? null packets checked/no? Other? I save my files as a single file...

And you confused me too w/the comment about using another software player. I thought to play HD out of my MDP-130 card (which is direct-connected to my HDTV) I had to use MyHD. Not true?

Probably sounds like a REALLY DUMB question but in my defense I have kept my MyHD PC extremely bare-bones to fend-off performance problems. A Shuttle VIA C3 800MHz w/256Mb RAM, a 200Gb NTFS HDD, XP Pro, and no other apps at all than MyHD and RealVNC. I even move my HD recordings to another PC for editing using my LAN. Many TIA.
post #732 of 2239 Old 04-09-2005, 11:39 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Since you probably know this off-the-cuff Terry, what other settings should I use for "editing HD for MyHD HD playback" along w/PreserveBitRate? Sorry I'm away from my HD2MPG2 machine at the moment: Save As ... ts or mpeg? null packets checked/no? Other? I save my files as a single file...

If you keep the constant bitrate via the INI setting, it really doesn't matter whether you check the null packets PID or not, because H2 will replace any packet that you don't specifically keep with a null. I see no reason to mess with H2's problematic MPG output, since I'm only interested in pre-viewing edits (and Nero VE evidently handles TS files just as well for the rare DVD burning).
Quote:

And you confused me too w/the comment about using another software player. I thought to play HD out of my MDP-130 card (which is direct-connected to my HDTV) I had to use MyHD. Not true?

I was talking about play via the PC's video hw--but in your case (800-MHz CPU) that wouldn't be a good idea.
post #733 of 2239 Old 04-09-2005, 11:44 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Hey, Cris--

How about releasing a "new" (in name, any way) app that's stripped of the red-herring "MPEG" conversion and named something like "HDTV Editor"; that is, named to suggest its actual function? (You'd of course keep all the pioneering authors' credits in the about box, but get rid of the submarine screendoors) Is this too radical a concept?
post #734 of 2239 Old 04-11-2005, 04:30 AM

Liked: 11
Is there a sticky on how to use HDTVtoMPEG2 to convert .ts for recording to DVD?
Thanks.

Panasonic TC-P65VT60 (Cal by DNice)
Yamaha RX-V675
Yamaha 5.1 Surround Speakers
Yamaha LFE
PS3
XBox
Wii
Logitech Harmony 1100
Raspberry Pi running OpenELEC XBMC
post #735 of 2239 Old 04-11-2005, 04:48 AM

post #736 of 2239 Old 04-11-2005, 07:22 AM

Cris...

Version 1.10.06 detects all sub-channels in my recorded DVB streams perfectly, but Beta3 does not.

Would you be willing to do some testing on a sample so you could find and fix the problem?

BTW... will the source code for HDTVtoMPEG2 ever be released?
Would be a shame to see it die if you, for whatever reason, have no more time to spend on maintaining it.

So far its the only editor i have found that does what i want.

Thanks.
post #737 of 2239 Old 04-11-2005, 08:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by arehm
http://replayguide.sourceforge.net/dct6412/index.html

Should work for you.

Aaron, it's not clear from the how-to referred here--do you know if it preserves the original DD5.1 audio track? Or does it convert to 2ch like NVE3 apparently does?

I suppose this is OT since it doesn't involve H2M2
post #738 of 2239 Old 04-11-2005, 11:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

Version 1.10.06 detects all sub-channels in my recorded DVB streams perfectly, but Beta3 does not.

Would you be willing to do some testing on a sample so you could find and fix the problem?

If you can ftp me a sample file I'll see what I can do. PM your email address and I will send you the ftp info.

post #739 of 2239 Old 04-14-2005, 02:58 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Cris Moore
If you can ftp me a sample file I'll see what I can do. PM your email address and I will send you the ftp info.

PM sent.
post #740 of 2239 Old 04-14-2005, 09:54 PM

Having a probem with The Masters recorded on CBS on a Mot DCT 6412. Using 1.11 (Build 051). After encoding and playing in Media Player 10, I only get a black screen that has a 2-3 second length playback.

Any ideas?
post #741 of 2239 Old 04-14-2005, 09:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

James, what do you mean by "encoding"?? Just play the TS file in WMP. If you mean that you used the "MPG" output, go back to the beginning of this thread and read it again.
post #742 of 2239 Old 04-19-2005, 07:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Does editting out commercials still cause audio sync issues with the latest version of H2?

Thanks,
Chris
post #743 of 2239 Old 04-19-2005, 07:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Schlotkins
Does editting out commercials still cause audio sync issues with the latest version of H2?

Thanks,
Chris

Not if you're talking about playing TS files...AFAIK, it never did.
post #744 of 2239 Old 04-19-2005, 07:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Oh really, that's great. I thought it applied to everything. That will save a few DVDs.

Chris
post #745 of 2239 Old 04-19-2005, 08:22 PM

The audio sync issue is only a problem when converting the TS files to other types of compression. That is. going from TS to WM9 or Mpeg4.
post #746 of 2239 Old 04-20-2005, 09:15 AM
AVS Club Gold

That wasn't true for me, using the last non-beta version trying to cut out commercials from my hipix Lost recordings. By the end of each episode, the audio was out of sync by more than a second. That was with rewriting TS files. But, that's no longer a problem with the latest beta.

Mark Lamutt
www.DBSTalk.Com - A Proud Member of the AVS Community
post #747 of 2239 Old 04-20-2005, 09:16 AM
AVS Club Gold

That wasn't true for me, using the last non-beta version trying to cut out commercials from my hipix Lost recordings. By the end of each episode, the audio was out of sync by more than a second. That was with rewriting TS files. But, that's no longer a problem with the latest beta.

Mark Lamutt
www.DBSTalk.Com - A Proud Member of the AVS Community
post #748 of 2239 Old 04-26-2005, 09:26 PM

I love H2M - Is it possible to allow the window to be resized. I've tried to edit commercials out of a long NASCAR race but its to difficult to manipulate the slider bar at the bottom of the window. With dual 1800x1440 screens, I'd like to stretch at least the slider bar across both to really fine tune the editing.

Thanks for making such a great program! Paul...

Asus/MyHD
post #749 of 2239 Old 04-26-2005, 10:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Paul, the idea is to use the cursor buttons near the slider (or their equivalent shortcut keys, the SDFGHJKL row) to navigate precisely through the file. The smallest movement possible that way is one I frame and the largest is one minute.
post #750 of 2239 Old 04-26-2005, 10:22 PM
AVS Special Member

I like rolling the mouse wheel in either direction for fast fine control once I get near the location of interest with either buttons or mouse cursor
Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page