Forum Jump: 

post #991 of 2239 Old 12-02-2005, 02:39 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cris Moore View Post

I'm not aware of any free program that will take those two files and create a new transport stream. FAIK, the best you can do for free is using something like VirtualDubMod and conveting to an mpeg4\\dvix\\avi file.

I found out that VLC from VideoLAN.org theoretically has the ability to mux into a MPEG-TS. In its advanced options, it even allows you to correctly set the Hex PID numbers and the like. The problem is that instead of muxing the audio and video, it is concatenating the audio and video in the ts output file, which obviously does not work. Here is a link to where I have gotten, up to this point, in trying to get it to work (I have included option menu pics on how to set it up to where I am at): http://umsis.miami.edu/~medmunds/VLC.htm

Please check out the link of my work so far, because there is definately something to this. With it, I can already get a video ts (without audio) to be created, and so now all we have to figure out is how to get VLC to multiplex (mux) the audio along with it, and not concatenate.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #992 of 2239 Old 12-02-2005, 08:36 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I found out that VLC from VideoLAN.org theoretically has the ability to mux into a MPEG-TS. In its advanced options, it even allows you to correctly set the Hex PID numbers and the like. The problem is that instead of muxing the audio and video, it is concatenating the audio and video in the ts output file, which obviously does not work.

I once saw a case like this with another program. The 'mux' was just writing audio and video records as they arrived instead of merging the with the proper time stamps. But this meant that since there is so much less audio it would all get there first and end up at the beginning of the file, leaving the video at the end.

Maybe VLC also does this?

- Tom

Why don't we power our electric cars from greener, cheaper
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
?

Tom Barry - Find my video filters at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #993 of 2239 Old 12-02-2005, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trbarry View Post

I once saw a case like this with another program. The 'mux' was just writing audio and video records as they arrived instead of merging the with the proper time stamps. But this meant that since there is so much less audio it would all get there first and end up at the beginning of the file, leaving the video at the end.

Maybe VLC also does this?

- Tom

Yeah, in VLC, how I currently have it configured, whichever type is listed first (audio or video) when you select the files is the order it concatenates them. So, if the audio file is listed first, it is physically at the beginning of the file, and then the video directly after it.

The thing about all this is, this program DOES get the PID info and everything correctly coded into the ts, just not the placement of the audio and video information.
post #994 of 2239 Old 12-03-2005, 06:44 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

Thanks for letting me know. I was wondering if it was even going to work at all since I developed the code without any sample files from you guys that had the problem!

I have yet to try ABC yet, but NBC (medium from a couple weeks ago) worked great. There were two 'misfires' but that was because of a scene in medium when they spliced in a 4:3 cartoon, and the second is because NBC is notorius for switching to SD with about 3 minutes left each week. I just included them back into the file

I also tried fox (a couple of prison breaks), and it worked well too. The only thing is that my local puts grey pillarboxes on for local commercials, so I have to extend the scanned breaks past the local commercials. I know you are looking for all black frames, so I am not sure what you could/would do to filter out those frames that have grey pillars.

I would rather it skip too much than not enough though. I always validate the scan after it is complete by doing next, scrolling back or forward a couple frames at each flagged section. It is easier to add a misfire back that to have to scan the entire file manually looking for missed commercials. That is just my preference.

Thanks again.
post #995 of 2239 Old 12-03-2005, 11:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
There were two 'misfires' but that was because of a scene in medium when they spliced in a 4:3 cartoon...,

I remember scanning that episode. They wanted to make sure you knew it was a "commercial" so they did it in 4x3 format. I got a chuckle when the scanner excluded it. After all it was a commercial.
Quote:
I know you are looking for all black frames, so I am not sure what you could/would do to filter out those frames that have grey pillars.

It might be possible to look for solid bars instead of just black bars. I'll need to look into that. Right now the bar color check isn't very sophisticated and I already have an example that causes the scanner to trip up a bit at one spot. So far it's just one spot in one file but it could be an indication of a potential problem.

post #996 of 2239 Old 12-07-2005, 11:14 PM

Cris,
I would like to run this program in a script to create de-comercialized shows with just one stream at night when my video server is not being used. Is there any way to pass commandline args to this program? Can you add them?
If not, could you post/send me the source and I will see if it is possible? I will send my changes back to you so you can review and release them to the public if you want. I will not be releasing anything, as I dont think it would be in the best interest of the community to have several code trunks floating around.
thanks,
-ck
post #997 of 2239 Old 12-08-2005, 10:38 AM
Advanced Member

thanks for the great program but I have a problem I hope someone can help with.

I recorded a program OTA from my local PBS station. The stream has 2 programs, 1 HD and 1 SD. I am using this application to remove the SD program plus strip out the NULL packets and PSIP. Everything looks good when I play it but there is a slight clicking noise in the audio that was not there in the original source. Any clue on how to fix it? any other applications or settings I can try for this application? I tried the redo program and it has similiar problems. When I use this program to strip out NULL packets and comercials from my local CBS station everything works fine so maybe the problem has to do with the removal of the SD program.

Thanks
Jeff
post #998 of 2239 Old 12-08-2005, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_DML View Post

I recorded a program OTA from my local PBS station. The stream has 2 programs, 1 HD and 1 SD. I am using this application to remove the SD program plus strip out the NULL packets and PSIP. Everything looks good when I play it but there is a slight clicking noise in the audio that was not there in the original source. Any clue on how to fix it? any other applications or settings I can try for this application? I tried the redo program and it has similiar problems. When I use this program to strip out NULL packets and comercials from my local CBS station everything works fine so maybe the problem has to do with the removal of the SD program.

Thanks
Jeff

There is no way that this program can do that. It has to be in the original - and that's why redo has the same issue. It's also why you don't hear the problem with the CBS feeds.
post #999 of 2239 Old 12-08-2005, 10:53 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTVFanAtic View Post

There is no way that this program can do that. It has to be in the original - and that's why redo has the same issue. It's also why you don't hear the problem with the CBS feeds.

Actually, I think that it's an artifact of whatever he's using for playback. Jeff, have you tried other players with the problem stream?
post #1000 of 2239 Old 12-08-2005, 10:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

I recorded a program OTA from my local PBS station. The stream has 2 programs, 1 HD and 1 SD. I am using this application to remove the SD program plus strip out the NULL packets and PSIP. Everything looks good when I play it but there is a slight clicking noise in the audio that was not there in the original source. Any clue on how to fix it?

It's possible that the HD version is muxed with 2 different audio tracks, and that H2 picks only one of them, or outputs both a a way that makes the default one not the same as in the original file.

After selecting the HD stream, look at the PIDs to see if how many audio ones belong to that program.

Aside that, I can't imagine how H2 could mess up the audio that way, I don't think it can.

Robert
post #1001 of 2239 Old 12-08-2005, 10:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Is there any way to pass commandline args to this program? Can you add them?

H2M can take a command line arg but currently only understands filenames seperated by spaces (this was added in order support drag-n-drop). There isn't any code to handle automation processing.

You are the second person to ask for automation since I re-wrote the commercial scanner. I'm surprised that people think the commercial scanner is good enough to stand on it's own without needing to be tweaked before Processing.

Quote:

I would like to run this program in a script to create de-comercialized shows with just one stream at night when my video server is not being used.

I would guess that the best implementation would be to give H2M a file with a list of directories to Process. H2M would then Process all of the files in each directory. It would of course have to be smart enough to be able to process shows consisting of multiple files as well as single files.

Does everyone else think this would be a good feature to have?

post #1002 of 2239 Old 12-08-2005, 11:08 AM
AVS Special Member

I read somewhere that people reported getting audio clicks\\pops after editing with H2M at the commercial cuts. IIRC, it was assumed this was happening because the audio type was changing between the programming and the commercials (i.e. 5.1 to stereo to 5.1) and of course partially to do with the hack cutting that H2M is doing. But the clicks\\pops would only happen at the cut points not during the programming.

post #1003 of 2239 Old 12-08-2005, 11:19 AM
AVS Special Member

It would be great -- I've been trying to do this with scripts and keyboard/mouse automation macros and it has been a pain.

Your latest version is 99% accurate for me now, at least for shows I watch and then delete -- if it had two options to allow setting Minimum exclude time and Minimum Include time I think it would be spot on for my shows (both the minimum times would probably need to be ignored at beginning and end of a stream). For me I would use 45 seconds for both.

For files I wanted to keep I would still probably hand process to tweak around some commercials.
post #1004 of 2239 Old 12-08-2005, 11:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTVFanAtic View Post

wow, quick replies, thanks. Audio issues are not in the original source. For a player I am using a Teleview professional setup box(work related). I would try VLC but my computer is too slow , let me try again. Maybe the stream is not CBR anymore and the decoder is having problems with the audio
post #1005 of 2239 Old 12-08-2005, 11:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

wow, quick replies, thanks. Audio issues are not in the original source. For a player I am using a Teleview professional setup box(work related). I would try VLC but my computer is too slow , let me try again. Maybe the stream is not CBR anymore and the decoder is having problems with the audio

sorry for false alert, it is my decoder problem. Audio is fine on VLC. thanks anyways
post #1006 of 2239 Old 12-08-2005, 12:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

H2M can take a command line arg but currently only understands filenames seperated by spaces (this was added in order support drag-n-drop). There isn't any code to handle automation processing.

You are the second person to ask for automation since I re-wrote the commercial scanner. I'm surprised that people think the commercial scanner is good enough to stand on it's own without needing to be tweaked before Processing.

I would guess that the best implementation would be to give H2M a file with a list of directories to Process. H2M would then Process all of the files in each directory. It would of course have to be smart enough to be able to process shows consisting of multiple files as well as single files.

Does everyone else think this would be a good feature to have?

I vote yes, I think it would be great!
post #1007 of 2239 Old 12-08-2005, 12:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterno3 View Post

I vote yes, I think it would be great!

Me too. And I also agree that Paul's suggestion of user-defined thresholds for exclude and include ranges would be essential for this mode.
post #1008 of 2239 Old 12-08-2005, 01:00 PM
AVS Special Member

OK. Here is the feature list for automatic Processing with commercial scan.

1- H2M will take a single file and an arg for automatic processing. The file consists of a list of directories to process.
2- Directories can consist of transport streams and .tri files. Tri files will be processed first then any transport stream(s) that are left. This will allow you to pre-mark "special" TS files and then process them later with the rest of the batch.
3- The ability to set minimum Include\\Exclude sizes.

I think that sounds like a reasonable list of features. I will start work on this feature AFTER the next release.

Cris

post #1009 of 2239 Old 12-08-2005, 01:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

1- H2M will take a single file and an arg for automatic processing. The file consists of a list of directories to process.

...and [optional] output directory(ies)?
post #1010 of 2239 Old 12-08-2005, 01:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

...and [optional] output directory(ies)?

OK. For each Input directory in the file you can specify an overriding Output directory that will apply to ALL of the files that are in that directory or referenced in a .tri file. If no output directory is specified then the default H2M directory will be used for ALL files in that directory or referenced in a .tri file.

post #1011 of 2239 Old 12-08-2005, 03:21 PM
AVS Special Member

And... Here is the next release, v1.11.83

.83 - Fixed possible crash when loading low bitrate SD channels
.83 - Added message box indicating SD channels are not supported with Commercial Scan
.82 - Attempt to include black frames before and after program. Disable with IncludeBlackFrames=0
.81 - UI indicates Avg TS Rate now instead of bogus Video rate
.81 - Weighted average TS Rate is now calculated instead of using a fixed 19.2Mbps rate
.81 - Option to select 10 second Commercial Scan rate instead of the default 60 seconds
.80 - Re-work of Commercial Scan code to fix troublesome ABC\\FOX stations
.79 - Small tweak to code that determines frame type
.78 - Fix bug that could cause the second file to be ignored during scan if Exclude section had been specified

Give balazar some time to update his website.

Cris

post #1012 of 2239 Old 12-08-2005, 04:11 PM

I think that will work fine for me, but two more small features that would be useful

priority1 - a command switch to tell it to scan, write mpeg, write .ts, or write hidtvpro file. I was thinking of using this to create a .tri file and then post processing that with perl to create various other files (like a .cut file for zoomplayer). With a .cut file I could have zoomplayer jump thru the commercials and if it was off by a bit, I could move around a little with the remote to get to the right spot. This is how comskip and Showanalyzer work.

priority 2 - a hide gui option. for background processing. Not entirely necessary, since I will probably do most of my processing at night.

thanks for the efforst
post #1013 of 2239 Old 12-08-2005, 05:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 518 Post(s)
Liked: 546
Thanks for all the hard work on this program Cris!
post #1014 of 2239 Old 12-10-2005, 09:41 PM

Tonight I finally got around to editing all of the files that had been cluttering up my hard drives, but I'm having mixed results. Using version 1.11.77 since the latest version hasn't been posted yet.

I wanted to burn a movie to a few DVDs but needed to trim off a bit of garbage at the beginning and some dead spots in the credits at the end to get the files to fit on the DVDs. In each case I was able to open up a 100MB .ts file, mark a portion as excluded, and successfully generate the edited file. Worked great.

Then I went to strip the commercials out of an episode of Las Vegas I captured with my MDP-130. This time it was .tp files, but still 100MB each. I added all 68 or so files, marked the streams to include (no choice - single subchannel recording) and kicked off the commercial detection. It worked perfectly and quickly. The problem came when I tried to process the file. Set to produce 100MB files, on my first attempt the HDTVtoMPEG2 window vanished practically instantly and a 0KB file was created. Relaunched the program, went through the same steps again, hit process, and this time it took about a second before popping up the window saying that the program was crashing and it wanted to send data to MS. 0KB file this time as well.

Any idea what might be going on? The captured files are null packet stripped (recorded that way, not post-processed), but I can't think of anything else notable.
post #1015 of 2239 Old 12-10-2005, 10:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

kingpong--

If you're going to burn to DVD anyway, why are you outputting such tiny files? I suspect that's part of the problem, since I've not seen H2M crash for a long time when using bigger files.
post #1016 of 2239 Old 12-10-2005, 11:13 PM
AVS Special Member

I didn't test the scan code with such small files. My test files are around DVD size, ~4470MB max size. Looks like there is a bug in the scan code if small files are used. Not surprising since the scan code jumps around a lot in the files. I'll take a look at it.

In the mean time do you really need to create such small files?

post #1017 of 2239 Old 12-11-2005, 09:16 AM
AVS Special Member

any idea when the newer version will get posted?

Jim White
St. Petersburg, FL
post #1018 of 2239 Old 12-11-2005, 09:54 AM

No particular reason to output small files I guess. I generally like having multiple smaller files so that damage to a file only wipes out a minute or so of the recording, instead of the whole thing. I figure there is no sense in recording a large file if I know it has to be edited anyways, and I get a warm fuzzy from seeing small, closed files instead of large, continuously growing files. Another reason is that whenever one sees HDTV content posted for download in unmentionable places it is in 100MB chunks with commercials, etc. edited out, so it seems to be a common thing. I figured that everyone was using HDTVtoMPEG2 for their editing, but maybe not if it has problems with that size files. Haven't tried VideoReDo to see how it behaves, and would prefer not to for obviou$ reasons. I'll experiment with different file sizes, and now that 1.11.83 is on the web site I'll try that too.

Just so I'm clear on which file size you're concerned about, is it the input files (which are 100MB) or the output files (which I was wanting to make 100MB)? I might be stating the obvious here, but I had no problems opening a single 100MB file and trimming parts out of it to make a sub 100MB file, but working with multiple 100MB files led to the problem. It wouldn't be the commercial scan specifically that caused the problem, since the result is just some include/exclude regions like with the single file. The only obvious difference between the two cases is the number of input files. If I continue running into issues with the small input files I'll stitch them together into a 6.5-7GB file and try that as well.
post #1019 of 2239 Old 12-11-2005, 10:18 AM
AVS Special Member

I think your problem is due to the new scanner code. H2M should be able to handle the multiple 100MB files that you read in as well as be able to create multiple 100MB files for the output. You could test that by loading your 68 files and manually editing it (don't use the scanner) and then Process it. If that works then the problem is definitely in the new scanner code and it is creating garbage Include\\Exclude points because of the small files sizes and that's causing the Processing part to crash.

post #1020 of 2239 Old 12-11-2005, 11:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You could test that by loading your 68 files and manually editing it (don't use the scanner) and then Process it.

kingpong,

Well that's not going to work. Apparently nobody is creating output files in excess of 10 files. I just tried it and H2M after creating the file xxx_9.ts it starts over again at xxx_0.ts instead of going to xxx_10.ts. It seems that creating multiple file output greater than 10 files (0-9) has been broken for a long time.

That's not whats causing your crash but it will keep you from creating 100MB output files.

Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page