post #91 of 2239 Old 05-06-2004, 07:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
What about showing the actual video time stamp somewhere on the window as well

I'll take a look and see what can be done when I get a chance.. Keep in mind that I currently don't even know how to calculate the average bit rate of each of the PIDs yet to implement my idea. So much to know, so little time...

Quote:
what kind of incoming speed do you have? I can output at 768kbits ...

I have Comcast cable, so I can download at up to 3Mb/s.

Cris

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 2239 Old 05-06-2004, 09:19 PM

Liked: 10
Well, the important thing with the timecodes is this ...

Let's say I start recording 5 mins before program start ... being able to see the TS packet's own timecode, so I can scan forwards 5mins relative, as an example, is what I'm talking about ...

Not really having the ability to take that timecode and reference to 00:00:00 off that, but just having a "here's where you are" readout kinda like the tape counter on a VCR.

On the .m2t files - dunno what's going on. I can't open ANY of them in m2edit anymore.

MyHD .ts files open fine, but .m2t files do not. They are both 1080i HD transport streams. Heck, the .m2t files *play* on the MyHD card !

Any ideas?

This is somewhat critical, as the ability to do a frame-accurate .ts edit relies on m2edit for the video cuts (and besplit for the ac3 cuts), then transmux or mp2tsms for remuxing back to .ts.

And (of course) - any chance we can get a sneak peek at the version with all the fixes?

:-)

- litz
post #93 of 2239 Old 05-06-2004, 11:53 PM
AVS Special Member

litz,

In M2Edit, the numbers that look like 00:28:37:10, and are shown on the Navigator and Storyboard windows, are those the timestamps that you are talking about?

Cris

post #94 of 2239 Old 05-07-2004, 01:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 19
The most useful timecode in a Transport Stream is either the PCR value or
the PTS values in the video or audio PES streams. PCR's and PTS's don't
get touched by null packet strippers, so they will always indicate the
correct time (in a contiguous stream).

GOP timecodes (in the video stream) are pretty much useless. There are streams
with no GOP headers and streams with the timecode always set to 0:0:0:0.

If you can parse out the first video PTS and last video PTS out of the
bitstream, you will have a very accurate measure of the file time length.
Intermediate PTS's will also work fine. The only time PCR's and PTS's don't
work is if the file is the concatenation of two or more different TS streams
(not usually the case with OTA capture).

PCR's are 42 bits and PTS's are 33 bits.

For a program that can parse PCR's and PTS's, see my TS demuxer source code
posted here:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...63#post3660263

This code will also dump the instantaneous TS bitrate. There is no indication
of TS bitrate in a TS stream. It must be calculated.

Ron

HD MPEG-2 Test Patterns http://www.w6rz.net
post #95 of 2239 Old 05-08-2004, 08:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Ron,

Thanks for the information and the source code. I figured I would probably go down the wrong path trying to solve this problem. Using the PTS appears to be a much better solution.

Your expertise is appreciated.

Cris

post #96 of 2239 Old 05-08-2004, 01:36 PM

Cris

I'm still trying to figure out this m2edit / mpeg2 problem.

I think the problem is that the .ts files I'm clipping out of the .m2t master files do not start with sequence headers. ie: there is garbage stuff BEFORE the first header.

Because of this, anything looking for a header at the start of the file refuses to use it. This includes m2edit, tmpgenc, dvdpatcher (useful for patching bitrates and other flags), vegas, and even dvd2avi.

All those either refuse to use the file or hang upon opening it.

It doesn't matter WHICH .m2t file I use off the cable captures. Anything clipped out of it with H2 is totally, utterly unusable.

Every single one of those movie trailers I clipped fall into that category, if you want some material to play with.

All of the above DO play in VLC. They will also load in TSReader, but with LOTS of "P" and "B" blocks found prior to the first I-frame.

I've tried restreaming with tsreader - it didn't help ... tried demuxing.

Can't remux - the .m2v file produced is unusable due to the no sequence header at start problem.

Any ideas?

thankx

- litz
post #97 of 2239 Old 05-08-2004, 02:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally posted by arock
Xesdeeni - you are correct that the version being discussed in this thread does NOT have my fix for the (seemingly random) freezes. Cris Moore and I are trying to consolidate the code and get one version that has all fixes. In the meantime, though, stick with the "freeze fix" version if that affects you until we announce a version that has all fixes.

Thanks,
_Alan

Alan--

I imagine that means that the .3 and .4 versions also don't have your keyboard shortcuts, right? I hope they'll migrate along with the freeze fix, as I've become so habituated to those that I'd hate to lose them!

--Terry
post #98 of 2239 Old 05-08-2004, 03:00 PM
AVS Special Member

litz,

I download the Van Helsing.ts movie from your site a while back.

Here are some observations and just "thinking out loud" stuff on my part.

1 - For H2 v1.10b, no preview window will display for this file.
2 - For H2 v1.10.4, the preview window works fine, although the "Show Progress Image" doesn't work yet.
3 - M2Edit will not load this file.

Now the interesting thing about this is that the fix I put in for some ABC 720p files that wouldn't display preview windows was because the sequence_header wasn't available. Instead of being at the beginning part of the PES packet, it was at the end of the previous video PES packet. What I did to fix the problem was to keep a look out for sequence_header's. When I find one, I'd hold on to it, and stuff it into the buffer just before the video packet data that is to be decoded and shown in the preview window.

Running the Van Helsing.ts file through the debugger shows that this file has the same problem. BTW, this sequence_header problem is the same reason why the "Show Progress image" doesn't work at the moment for files with this problem.

Now this sequence_header "weirdness" is part of the original transport stream and is not being done by H2 to the best of my knowledge, as I discovered this problem from other peoples files that would not display preview windows in H2 v1.10b.

Of course since H2 cuts at i-frames, the sequence_header that is required is lopped off because it is in the previous PES video packet. Its also possible that not all of the sequence_headers are "off" like this and sometimes you might get lucky when you make a cut that the sequence_header is correct. This also might be the reason why your original .m2t master files work, but the clips do not.

Now if the editing tool your trying to use just requires the first PES video packet to have the sequence_header in the correct spot and the rest can be "off", then one possible fix would be to stuff the sequence_header into the first video PES packet. However, if the tool requires all sequence_headers to be "correct", i.e. at the beginning of each video PES packet, then the whole transport stream would have to be fixed. This type of fix should be done by a separate tool.

Cris

post #99 of 2239 Old 05-08-2004, 03:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Terry,

Right. The 1.10.3 and 1.10.4 versions do not have Alan's "freeze fix" or keyboard shortcuts support yet. Hopefully we will get the code merged sometime soon. Unfortunately, every day life activities have higher priority over working on H2 so we don't know how long it's going to take.

Cris

post #100 of 2239 Old 05-08-2004, 03:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Cris--

Thanks, I feel better already, just knowing that you're aware of both mods. I'll just stick with the version Alan sent me many moons ago, which seems to work fine for editing commercials on all my TS captures, until you get around to the merge.
post #101 of 2239 Old 05-08-2004, 03:50 PM

Hmm ...

Cris - how hard would it be to make it an option to move those sequence headers, if needed ?

This makes perfect sense ... and if we want to make the .ts more like a "normal" .ts, then things need to be re-ordered.

The problem with needing another utility to fix this, is that that other utility does not exist ... as you know, utils for working on transport streams are rare beasts, indeed.

I'm reasonably sure the existing tools will be happier if just the first PES packet had its header .. but if you're gonna reshuffle that, may was well reshuffle everything else and bring the rest into line too.

What do you think?

Also - just as a note ... the .m2t files when converted to .mpg result in a totally corrupted file. It's only 3kb long.

- litz
post #102 of 2239 Old 05-08-2004, 03:54 PM

Oh ...

also had another "feature" idea ...

can H2 autoload a file dropped on the icon or when launched via Explorer?

the .tri extension could be linked to the H2 executable and therefore doubleclicking the file after a crash would autorun H2 and load the tsri.tri file (or whatever .tri).

- litz
post #103 of 2239 Old 05-08-2004, 04:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
how hard would it be to make it an option to move those sequence headers, if needed ?

This would be "non-trivial" as programmers like to say. I'm not that familiar with H2 yet nor all the requirements for valid TS streams, so it would take me quite a while to code and test it to make sure I wasn't creating invalid transport streams when trying to shuffle the sequence_headers around. I'm not saying I wouldn't like to try, I'm just not ready to do that type of editing to H2 yet.

Right now I'm trying to switch H2 to using the PTS information for calculating time information so that the times are more accurate. This will require a number of changes and I don't know how long it is going to take me AND I still have a list of other bugs that I want to fix.

Quote:
Also - just as a note ... the .m2t files when converted to .mpg result in a totally corrupted file. It's only 3kb long.

Yes. Grant said that when he fixed some of the problems when reading transport streams, he broke the mpeg output support. It was low priority for him to fix since he didn't care about that option. Yet one more thing to look at when I ( or someone else ) gets a chance. Unfortunately, the 1.09 version source code is lost, so a direct comparison is no longer available. Expect this to stay broken for a while unless someone else wants to fix it.
Quote:
can H2 auto load a file dropped on the icon or when launched via Explorer?

We could set it so that the .tri file will auto start H2 and load the file set when clicked on in Explorer. Also drag and drop support of .ts files or .tri file on the icon could probably be done too if windows supports that type of thing. Never tried it myself.

post #104 of 2239 Old 05-08-2004, 05:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Cris--

The version of H2 that I have from Alan also has a "fix" to the MPEG2 output that was added shortly before he put in the freeze fix and shortcuts. IIRC, the problem with the first 1.10 was a typo that was pointed out to Grant and he corrected it.

Anyway, Alan's H2 1.10b produces MPEG2 outputs that play in some, but not all, players with audio--which was not the case in 1.10.
post #105 of 2239 Old 05-08-2004, 05:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Terry,

That's good to know. I'll shoot Alan some mail and see how close he is to getting the first code base into SourceForge.

Cris

post #106 of 2239 Old 05-08-2004, 09:21 PM

Well, the idea with drag 'n' drop / autolaunch is this ...

If you set an association for extension .tri to launch H2, explorer will, I guess, do the equivalent of dropping the .tri file onto the icon.

The problem is, H2 doesn't actually load that file when it starts - dropping the file on the icon just starts the program up.

It should check to see if the file is a .tri, and if so, autoload it ...

That way doubleclicking a .tri file will bring you back to the state you were at before a hypothetical crash occurred.

- litz
post #107 of 2239 Old 05-08-2004, 10:43 PM
AVS Special Member

litz,

Yes, I tried it after you mention it earlier and discovered the same thing. I'll see if I can get that to work.

Cris

post #108 of 2239 Old 05-08-2004, 11:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

Originally posted by litz
The problem with needing another utility to fix this, is that that other utility does not exist ... as you know, utils for working on transport streams are rare beasts, indeed.- litz

Wizzard from Womble does that, it reformats the stream entirely and the result starts with a GOP.

Unfortunately, that's the reason Wizard is so buggy. There are wild variations between streams aired by the different stations, and when you start reformatting, you must know in advance all the formats.

The reason H2 works so well most of the time is that it does not reformat.

Modifying H2 to do it will open a can of worm and bring endless bugs. It's been more than one year that I have been sending Womble stream samples, and their products (MPEG first, Wizard now) are still unusable with 90% of the various streams I get.

Robert
post #109 of 2239 Old 05-09-2004, 12:23 PM

Where can I get version 1.10.4?
Thanks
post #110 of 2239 Old 05-09-2004, 12:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Here can I get version 1.10.4?

PM me with your e-mail address.

Cris

post #111 of 2239 Old 05-10-2004, 12:01 AM

I've got a set of MyHD .tp files capture from the local NBC affiliate. The bitrate shown in h2 s somewhere around 17MB/sec, which seems OK. However, when I try to conver it to an mpeg file, it shows the output bit rate to be around 4-5MB/sec...and the file has no video.

I know I'm getting the right PIDs--there's only one program, and also I've checked the PIDs using TSReader Lite.

I'd be happy to supply you a smallish sample of this video it you want to look into it.

Thanks--

Lonnie
post #112 of 2239 Old 05-10-2004, 12:32 PM

Double check with an old H2 1.09 version that the .mpg still doesn't come out right- several of us have had issues with mpeg generation in 1.10.x ...

When I run into this, I cut to a new .ts, then dump that into 1.09 and see what comes out.

It's supposed to be fixed, but I think someone forgot to actually tell the program that ...

It's on Cris' list of "things to do", but simply hasn't been addressed yet.

- litz
post #113 of 2239 Old 05-10-2004, 01:56 PM

I believe the mpeg issue has been fixed in Alan's branch but not yet in Cris's. Once they get sourceforge going and integrate their respective fixes life will be good.

You can try the one on GrantR's site here which I think has some of Alan's fixes in it.

Also you can grab one from Alan in this post

-apnar
post #114 of 2239 Old 05-10-2004, 04:30 PM
JHL
Advanced Member

I am using 1.10b to write MPEG-2 files and have encounted two problems.

1) The audio is missing. My source material was analog stereo written to a DVHS tape and I assume it ended up as MPEG-2 audo. Do I need to strip the audo separately?

2) There are numerous "jumps" in the video stream. I don't seem to get an entire copy of the source material. The source file (DHVS tape) plays just fine through MyHD. However I see a lot of video dropped. The location and size of the drops varies from file to file. I have one file that seems to drop about 20 minutes and another drops 30 seconds or so.

I used another video tool (MPEG Video Wizard) to create MPEG encoded files from these transport streams. It decoded the audio just fine but a lot of noise was added as part of the MPEG encoding. So I am still looking for the perfect solution
post #115 of 2239 Old 05-10-2004, 11:58 PM

Litz, Apnar--

Assuming you guys were refering to my post, yes, I've used h2 1.09, 1.10, 1.10b, 1.10b freeze-fix, and 1.10.3. They all behave identically--the 17mbps stream is reduced to 4-5mpbs, and the resulting file has no video (not sure what is in there, that's might big for just an audio stream).

Hey, here's another idea, though: Any other programs that you folks out there know of that can demux the audio out of a ts file? With the Elecard encoder, I can get TMPGEnc to read the ts file directly, but I can't get the audio. If I could do that, I'd have an A-OK workaround.

Thanks--

LDog
post #116 of 2239 Old 05-11-2004, 05:54 AM

Quote:

Any other programs that you folks out there know of that can demux the audio out of a ts file?

DVD2AVI will demux the audio.

You have to set up its .ini with the proper audio/video Pids. Well at least audio.
post #117 of 2239 Old 05-11-2004, 06:56 AM

Liked: 12
Have you looked at ProjectX? Seems to me that might work.
post #118 of 2239 Old 05-11-2004, 04:23 PM

Can you cut a chunk of this file out and make it available for us to play with?

If you need somewhere to ftp it to, email me and I'll set you up with a login and put it the same place the other samples I'm hosting are at.

- litz
post #119 of 2239 Old 05-13-2004, 12:29 AM

Well, hold the phone...

In attempting to create a small chunk-o-file (with 1.10.3) to be looked at by y'all , I thought I'd try converting that (again, or so I thought) with 1.09....and...it works! I think. Have to double check it again (the problem with working on this stuff only late at night is I'm often a bit fuzzy...).

So appologies--and thanks for all the tips! Editing the DVD2AVI .ini file may make it so I don't have to convert to MPEG at all.

Hmmm...is there a similar way to get virtualdubmod to open a TS file?

Also, I tried using ProjectX, didn't get too far with it; maybe I'll look at it again.

Once again--thanks, really appreciated.
post #120 of 2239 Old 05-15-2004, 09:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
JHL -
The audio is missing. My source material was analog stereo written to a DVHS tape and I assume it ended up as MPEG-2 audo.

The mpeg-2 conversion only looks for AC-3 audio in the transport stream. If the audio is of another type, like mpeg-2 audio, it is ignored. I found this out when tried to convert an episode of Angel that I recorded off c-band. I ended up with video, but no audio. It might be possible to get it to recognize mpeg-2 audio as well.

Cris

Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page