FusionHDTV III Gold QAM Impressions - Page 43 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #1261 of 1278 Old 02-06-2006, 08:16 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
if you are upgrading over the 3500+ and your motherboard supports it I would highly recomend dual core (the inexexpensive opeteron is a great deal right now) as it makes a major difference for encoding/transcoding files which for a media center machine is a large part of the processing time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1262 of 1278 Old 03-15-2006, 08:04 AM

On my second day with with a used Fusion HDTV 3 Gold and am fairly pleased thus far. I'm able to tune many OTA and cable QAM channels with good PQ. I seem to have a problem though.

Whenever I tune a channel that is broadcasting 1080i the right hand ~15% of the TV display window appears as a herringbone pattern, as if the image is coming from non-existent memory (the rest of the image is great!). This occurs at all display sizes except 480x270, which is fine.

My system consists of a Pentium 4, 2.4Ghz w/ 384 MB of RAM, runnig on WinXP HE SP2, and a RAGE 128 PRO Ultra GL AGP adapter.

I have searched this thread but have not been unable to find any info about a problem like this.

Will more system memory resolve this issue? Could the display adapter cause something like this? Or is it a bad F3G board.

All suggestions appreciated.

Dave
on Comcast Cable of Canton, MI
post #1263 of 1278 Old 03-15-2006, 08:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northville Dave
Whenever I tune a channel that is broadcasting 1080i the right hand ~15% of the TV display window appears as a strange pattern, as if the image is coming from non-existent memory (the rest of the image is great!). This occurs at all display sizes except 480x270, which is fine.

My system consists of a Pentium 4, 2.4Ghz w/ 384 MB of RAM, and a RAGE 128 PRO Ultra GL AGP adapter.

I have searched this thread but have not been unable to find any info about a problem like this.

Will more system memory resolve this issue? Could the display adapter cause something like this? Or is it a bad F3G board.

if it looks like a "herring bone" pattern, i think its the video card/drivers. i have noticed the same problem with my 128 rage pro aiw cards when using the f5usb. while no problem is seen with my mx440 video cards

-----------
post #1264 of 1278 Old 03-15-2006, 09:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Having worked on graphics cards with overlays, I can tell you the problem could very well be underflow of the FIFOs associated with the overlay window and underlying graphics surface. Fetching data for the overlay and graphics background taxes the memory subsystem. At the left edge of the screen, during the horizontal blanking, the memory transfer can get ahead of the demand. But if the demand is just a bit more than the supply, you'll eventually run out of data. This didn't occur during testing of the overlay because HD content didn't exist when those cards were created. But now that HD is here, you're seeing the well run dry.

The cards I worked on had a programmable FIFO threshold that could have helped here. But I don't know whether your card has this capability. And even if it did, you'd probably need a driver update to modify the setting.

One suggestion is to try using VMR9 (no overlay). I'm not sure how to activate this for the Fusion, but it might be as simple as moving the acceleration slider one tick to the left. Otherwise, you may find a utility online.

Xesdeeni
post #1265 of 1278 Old 03-15-2006, 10:06 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 16
If you're running WinXP, there's a checkbox in the first configuration pane for using VMR.

Also, you might want to check your BIOS to make sure that your AGP aperture is as big as the RAM size of your video card (128MB?). You are running with a pretty small DRAM store, so increasing that might help too if the buffers that Xesdeeni's talking about are constrained by the total RAM.
post #1266 of 1278 Old 03-15-2006, 12:48 PM
AVS Special Member

The FIFOs I'm referring to are in the display hardware, they aren't part of the video RAM. These are the buffers into which data read from the video RAM are put while they wait to be output to the display. The data is burst from RAM into these, and then sent out at the pixel rate (or not if the video is stretched/shrunk).

Xesdeeni
post #1267 of 1278 Old 03-15-2006, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPeterson
If you're running WinXP, there's a checkbox in the first configuration pane for using VMR.
Just tried using the VMR renderer and I liked it :) - I no longer had to use the brightness/contrast sliders to get a viewable picture, but it had no apparent effect on the herringbone pattern. :(

I'm trying to borrow another video card / more system memory to give that a try.

Thanks again for the suggestions.

Dave
post #1268 of 1278 Old 03-15-2006, 02:36 PM

why use the fusion at all? Unless I am mistaken your Comcast box can be connected to a media center pc over firewire (you can even use the media center interface to record over firewire with some other software linked to on this forum), even without media center you can still record over firewire (capdvhs...), of course this assumes that your Comcast box is in the same room as the pc and they are both hooked up to the same entertainment system.
post #1269 of 1278 Old 03-15-2006, 06:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Just tried using the VMR renderer and I liked it - I no longer had to use the brightness/contrast sliders to get a viewable picture, but it had no apparent effect on the herringbone pattern.

I'm trying to borrow another video card / more system memory to give that a try.

Thanks again for the suggestions.
i just took a pic of the "herring bone" pattern i see at larger screen sizes using the 128 rage pro video card. it goes away when using smaller screen sizes. the 128 rage pro line is pre radeon, but was good for its time. both of my two aiw cards only have 32mb of memory.
LL

-----------
post #1270 of 1278 Old 03-15-2006, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkresh
why use the fusion at all?... .
Since I'm retired and will be spending much of the May thru October period at my summer home I'm thinking of saving about $45/month by retaining only the most basic cable package over that period. For the few days I'll be home I'll need something to drive my Maxent Plasma HDTV since it has no tuner.

My old VCR tuner will give me access to the analog channels, but I'm hoping the Fusion will provide the HDTV, either OTA or from the cable.

Dave
post #1271 of 1278 Old 03-15-2006, 06:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Since I'm retired and will be spending much of the May thru October period at my summer home I'm thinking of saving about $45/month by retaining only the most basic cable package over that period. For the few days I'll be home I'll need something to drive my Maxent Plasma HDTV since it has no tuner.

My old VCR tuner will give me access to the analog channels, but I'm hoping the Fusion will provide the HDTV, either OTA or from the cable.
You might then want to consider finding a used Nvidia MX-400/440 or 4000 card to replace the old Rage 128. All three of those Nvidia cards are known to work well with FusionHDTV and likely will cost you less than a 512-MB DRAM stick (which may or may not solve the problem--from KAXKID's post, I suspect that it may not).
post #1272 of 1278 Old 03-15-2006, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPeterson
You might then want to consider finding a used Nvidia MX-400/440 or 4000 card to replace the old Rage 128. All three of those Nvidia cards are known to work well with FusionHDTV and likely will cost you less than a 512-MB DRAM stick (which may or may not solve the problem--from KAXKID's post, I suspect that it may not).
Looks more and more like it's the Rage 128 as several suggested. I borrowed a 512MB stick (for 768 total) and the herringbone remains.

Thanks to all who responded - I will post the results when I try out another video card.

Dave
post #1273 of 1278 Old 03-16-2006, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by originalsnuffy
I thought this might be fun. Why don't we all share which version of the software we settled on (I bet very few people are using the current revision in their "production" mode).
I am currently using 3.0 beta 1, which seems stable for me. And using the drivers that came with this release.
Well, I had been using FusionHDTV3.3Beta1Web.exe (v3.21.01 from 12-16-2005) and it worked okay for the most part. Just upgraded to FusionHDTV3.30.01Web.exe (v3.30.01 from 2-23-2006), and now I get no audio on the digital/HD stations. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling twice to no avail. Why can DVIco not make a consistant product? Sigh. Now downgrading.

Edit: Well, no need to downgrade yet. For some reason, the digital audio was switched to "Wave" in the system audio settings (or that level was set to zero by upgrading). Grrr.... Well, it works now at least.

post #1274 of 1278 Old 03-23-2006, 05:33 AM
AVS Special Member

With the DVICO USB Gold and the latest 3.30.01 software and TWC in New York, the channel scan gets a whole lot of HD channels, but many are encrypted.

The strange thing is that on some that the software shows 100% strength and a 1080i signal, I get no picture even as the 3.30.01 shows "no encypt"

Any ideas?

Paul
post #1275 of 1278 Old 03-23-2006, 06:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Chiu
With the DVICO USB Gold and the latest 3.30.01 software and TWC in New York, the channel scan gets a whole lot of HD channels, but many are encrypted.

The strange thing is that on some that the software shows 100% strength and a 1080i signal, I get no picture even as the 3.30.01 shows "no encypt"

Any ideas?

Paul
those channels may be the "on demand" channels. they will only show something when you or a neighbor is using the "on demand" feature.

-----------
post #1276 of 1278 Old 03-24-2006, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Whenever I tune a channel that is broadcasting 1080i the right hand ~15% of the TV display window appears as a herringbone pattern, as if the image is coming from non-existent memory (the rest of the image is great!). This occurs at all display sizes except 480x270, which is fine.

I now have an Nvidia 440 video card, thanks to eBay, and my herringbone problems are a thing of the past. I also have access to several other features
that were unavailable with the Rage card.

Thanks to all who helped me with the problem.

Dave
post #1277 of 1278 Old 04-09-2006, 04:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
What drivers to install for Fusion 3 card? Is there a procedure or guide that I need to use for SUSE 10.0? I am ready to install MYTHTV but want to try and get my Cable card working with the operating system first. I am using the 32bit kernel.

Only 2 weeks with the new LINUX system and enjoy playing but boy do the hours slip away. :D Do I need to install MYTHTV to get this working?

Thanks in advance

Specialize in maximizing performance on a beer budget!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

post #1278 of 1278 Old 04-09-2006, 07:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg1292
What drivers to install for Fusion 3 card? Is there a procedure or guide that I need to use for SUSE 10.0? I am ready to install MYTHTV but want to try and get my Cable card working with the operating system first. I am using the 32bit kernel.

Only 2 weeks with the new LINUX system and enjoy playing but boy do the hours slip away. :D Do I need to install MYTHTV to get this working?

Thanks in advance
i think you need to look at the linux thread about the fusion hdtv cards here:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&&#post6794100
good luck.

-----------
Closed Thread Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page