post #1 of 434 Old 06-14-2004, 05:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
From the Theatertek forum:
Quote:
"Ok, here's an (pre)announcement on TT 2.0 then. It will ship with the new nVidia ForceWare decoders (even better than those in ForceWare 3), support WMV-HD (DRM) playback, handle Overlay or VMR9, have built-in dynamic aspect ratio detection, a new user-interface, an advanced audio version which supports internal decoding of DD and DTS to 5.1 channels together with ProLogic II, and can even mix LPCM audio to ProLogic II. It will also support multi-media.

There are several other new cool features and more detailed information and probably answers to many other questions will be revealed at a later time not too distant in the future, however this should keep you guys going.

Andrew"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 434 Old 06-14-2004, 06:19 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Awesome features!
Can't wait to buy TT 2.0, please release it soon.....
But I hope the price not to high. :D
You're the man, Andrew!
post #3 of 434 Old 06-14-2004, 06:58 AM
AVS Special Member

We need an AVSForum special or something... looks nice but being a college student, I can cough up that much cash everytime a new version comes out :)
post #4 of 434 Old 06-14-2004, 07:23 AM
Advanced Member

I'd be all over this if it did 6.1 or 7.1 (with PLIIx perhaps), but the lack of current decoding support and the price seems to put it in the "also ran" category.
post #5 of 434 Old 06-14-2004, 10:40 AM
tji
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
support WMV-HD (DRM) playback

That's interesting, although I don't have much WMV-HD material. But, since they are supporting HD, can anyone tell me if they support ATSC transport stream playback?

I'm looking for a reliable software playback tool, with good usability features. WinDVD6 does basic TS playback, without FF/REW, so it's not very usable. I have heard Nvidia's upcoming multimedia app will support TS, but it's been "coming soon" for a LONG time, and I'm not sure how well it will handle TS. Is TT 2.0 another option?
post #6 of 434 Old 06-14-2004, 10:44 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

"...can anyone tell me if they support ATSC transport stream playback?"

Do a search for the NVDVD decoders and that should answer your question.
post #7 of 434 Old 06-14-2004, 11:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
This is like the old meedio/myhtpc2 posts always asking when and threatening to switch to other products. So, what timeframe are we looking at? Summer, Fall, Winter, next Spring??
post #8 of 434 Old 06-14-2004, 11:24 AM
AVS Special Member

"It will ship with the new nVidia ForceWare decoders (even better than those in ForceWare"

does this make any difference to people using ATI graphics cards? (Pardon me if that was a stupid question).

**edit** that was a stupid question. a quick search revealged that forceware is compatible with ATI radeon family...

iPad 2 is the coolest thing http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Azkg-Bj6GVs
post #9 of 434 Old 06-14-2004, 11:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 14
second the question for PLIIx... any chance it will support this?

I don't really like talking about my flair

My Home Theater Project:
post #10 of 434 Old 06-14-2004, 11:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 151
So is this a special TT-only version of ForceWare decoders, or is it just an improved version since the last RC?

See what an anamorphoscopic lens can do, see movies the way they were meant to be seen
post #11 of 434 Old 06-14-2004, 12:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Finally an official announcement – Excellent we are making progress :D!

If we now only knew WHEN exactly TT2.0 would be released. (ForceWare3.0 has been announced for a looooong time, but is still not available - “coming soonâ€. I hope it’s not the OQO of DVD decoders - even though I hear they are actually getting serious of releasing the OQO later this year.)

Andrew, could you please a bit more specific about the release date? My guess/hope is it is imminent. It would help those people who are currently at the fence to decide between the latest WinDVD (available right now) and TT2.0 to make the right choice and to hold off a little bit longer. :)

_____
Axel

post #12 of 434 Old 06-14-2004, 12:05 PM
Advanced Member

Yeah, I understand the point of not revealing details of future products to a certain degree. But once competitors have actually released their next-gen product, I think at that point you must reveal your plans or else you end up losing customers. We now have the latest releases of WinDVD and Zoomplayer within the past couple weeks.
post #13 of 434 Old 06-14-2004, 12:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Does this mean that TT can be used to playback stored stereo wav files, or other media, in DPL II?

Quote:
and can even mix LPCM audio to ProLogic II.
Thanks,
Ken
post #14 of 434 Old 06-14-2004, 01:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Duh.....anyone bother to think that since they are Nvidia decoders that the release date may be tied to Forceware release plans? More than likely TT 2.0 is under an agreement with nvidia to release it under a specific timeframe....perhaps when Forceware is actually released, not just announced.
Knowing Andrew, I'm sure if he could be more specific, he would be more specific.
Remember, TT is unique in that the other commercially available SW DVD ship (WinDVD, P-DVD, Sonic) with their own decoders, whereas TT is using someone elses', and I'm sure TT is at their mercy regarding release dates, download & trial options, etc etc etc.
My uneducated guess is, when nvidia actually releases their Forceware product, TT 2.0 will be sure to follow.
post #15 of 434 Old 06-14-2004, 01:16 PM
tji
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally posted by Karnis
"...can anyone tell me if they support ATSC transport stream playback?"

Do a search for the NVDVD decoders and that should answer your question.
Okay, I'll take a guess and say this means "yes, it will support ATSC" since I have seen mention of nvidia supporting it.

Does anyone care to expand on that a bit? Is it a fully supported feature? Does using the same decoders imply that the feature set will be complete? Will it have full support of FF/REW, skip ahead, smooth playback of 1080i and 720p, etc? Will if support MyHD and FusionHDTV naming systems? (You must rename TS files with a .trp file extension to view them with WinDVD6)
post #16 of 434 Old 06-14-2004, 03:27 PM
Advanced Member

o.k... i purchased tt 1.2 for $59.95 on 04/02. i recently upgraded to 1.5 for an additional $24.95. if my math is correct, i am into tt for about $85.00 clams. has there been any mention of what the 2.0 upgrade price will be? will it push me over a c-note for this player?
post #17 of 434 Old 06-14-2004, 03:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Karnis
Duh.....anyone bother to think that since they are Nvidia decoders that the release date may be tied to Forceware release plans? More than likely TT 2.0 is under an agreement with nvidia to release it under a specific timeframe....perhaps when Forceware is actually released, not just announced.
My uneducated guess is, when nvidia actually releases their Forceware product, TT 2.0 will be sure to follow.
I agree (that's why I was referring to Forceware in my post above). It's only very unfortunate that there is NOT even a specific target date available. (From Nvidia you hear - if at all - only vague statements like "coming soon", which seems to be moving targets. It's hard for me to believe that they are not working off a timeline.
It would be much easier for me to wait if I knew the actual target release date... but this is just me....
____
Axel
(impatiently waiting..:D)

post #18 of 434 Old 06-14-2004, 03:40 PM
Advanced Member

nVidia releasing ForceWare and us releasing TheaterTek 2.0 have nothing in common. We will ship as soon as we are ready.

Regards.

Andrew Chilvers
TheaterTek Inc.
post #19 of 434 Old 06-14-2004, 04:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Chivs
nVidia releasing ForceWare and us releasing TheaterTek 2.0 have nothing in common. We will ship as soon as we are ready.

Regards.
Andrew,
Thanks for clarifying.
____
Axel

post #20 of 434 Old 06-14-2004, 04:07 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally posted by Chivs

Regards.
Good to hear.
post #21 of 434 Old 06-14-2004, 04:45 PM
Advanced Member

will there be an upgrade cost for 2.0? if so, will the upgrade cost be the same for those that purchased version 1.5 and those that upgraded to 1.5? btw, 2.0 sounds incredible - you guys should be very proud!
post #22 of 434 Old 06-14-2004, 05:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Andrew,

are the new Nvidia decoders as good in detecting and decoding PAL as your current Sonic decoders. I am mixing NTSC and PAL DVDs on my system and one of the many benefits of TT is that it produces a great picture without tweaking for the type of discs. That is not exactly true for Nvidia 3.0. Another helpful tweak would be to make sure that ffdshow works for both PAL and NTSC without having to change a registry key! TT could as well do this for you and be much more convenient.

These might sound minor but they are real blockers if you mix Region 1 & 2 discs.

Cheers

Thomas
post #23 of 434 Old 06-14-2004, 05:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Andrew, thanks for clarifying the situation....keep us posted!
post #24 of 434 Old 06-14-2004, 05:23 PM

This was the response from Nvidia when I placed an order for the Forceware 3.0 package.

--------------------------
Thank you for your order.

The product you have ordered is not released yet. We anticipate it's release by mid to end of June. We have canceled your order and voided the transaction on your credit card. We will notify you when it has been released.

Thank you,
Dorie Swindall
NVIDIA Product Store Customer Care Team

1 ForceWare Software Download
FWMVFULL $xx.xx
Subtotal: $xx.xx
Tax: $0.00
Total: $xx.xx
Paid By: Credit Card: ($xx.xx)
----------------------------

Looks like mid to end of June
post #25 of 434 Old 06-14-2004, 05:27 PM
Advanced Member

Thomas,
Part of the problem with PAL and FFDShow is that it does not respond to the decoder correctly to inform of it of buffer sizes. Consequently the decoder outputs PAL data and FFDShow crashes. AFAIK this has not been fixed but it would be worth letting Milan (FFDShow author) know about this to see if he can fix it. The latest nVidia decoders do an excellent job of de-interlacing and handling video based material. As far as 'hands-off' operation, this has always been TheaterTek's strength and this is continued still further in the new release.

WT-46809
Yes, there will be an upgrade cost, however this has not been determined yet. There will be two versions, one with the same audio options as TT 1.5 and the advanced audio version with internal decoding for DD, DTS, ProLogic II and Dolby Headphone which will cost more.

Anyone who purchased TT 1.5 in the last 30 days, and anyone buying it from now onwards will receive a free update to TT 2.0.

Regards,

Andrew Chilvers
TheaterTek Inc.
post #26 of 434 Old 06-14-2004, 05:41 PM
AVS Special Member

From TheaterTek forum:

"As there is now discussion around TheaterTek 2.0 which will be available in the next few weeks, I wanted to make clear that anyone who purchased TheaterTek 1.5 in the last 30 days or anyone who purchases it now will receive a free upgrade to TheaterTek 2.0 standard edition (providing same audio features as TT 1.5). The advanced audio version will still incur an upgrade cost."

iPad 2 is the coolest thing http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Azkg-Bj6GVs
post #27 of 434 Old 06-14-2004, 05:44 PM

Chivs,

Stupid OT question.... Why do I need to use Reclock with TT but not with any other DVD software?? Will something like this be included in TT 2.0 for those of us with fixed 60hz tv's??
post #28 of 434 Old 06-14-2004, 05:51 PM
Advanced Member

Datalux,
You have to remember that TT just as NVDVD or other DirectShow based players is based on MicroSoft's DirectShow component of DirectX and relies on synchronization between the audio and video filters. Due to variable driver support on audio cards (which acts as the master clock), some hardware/software combinations do not sync as well as others. The big benefit of DirectShow however is that components can be inserted into the chain, just like FFDShow and the other filters discussed around here. The limitation is that it relies on several PC components to work well together. What I can say is that the audio decoder in the new TheaterTek is a very modern and clean design.

Andrew Chilvers
TheaterTek Inc.
post #29 of 434 Old 06-14-2004, 06:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Andrew,

What does "have built-in dynamic aspect ratio detection" mean and how is it different from the current capability?

Bob
post #30 of 434 Old 06-14-2004, 06:19 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Quote:
....have built-in dynamic aspect ratio detection,
Isn't that what we have now? What is the difference?

I have built a new PC specifically with enough horsepower to play back WMV9 1080p content. The timing on TT 2.0 could not be more perfect...:D

Edit: Hehe, Bob, you beat me to it!
Closed Thread Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page