The official KD-34XBR960 HTPC thread - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 111 Old 07-16-2004, 11:17 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I don't think anyone has started a thread for this set yet, so let me do the honours!

HTPC1
HTPC2
HTPC3
HTPC4

Here's my setup:

Software:

- Windows Media Center 2004
- BeyondTV
- DVHScap for capturing HD content through firewire
- Zoomplayer for media playback
- Powerstrip for resolution management
- Girder for controlling the PC with a universal remote and for tuning the cable box\\

Hardware:

- Athlon XP 2500 Moblie Barton clocked to XP 3200 speeds
- Radeon 9800 NP flashed with Pro bios and cooled with Artic Cooling VGA Silencer
- ATI DVI/Component adapter
- Asus A7N8X with Dolby Digital 5.1
- 512mb OCZ 3200 Ram
- Seagate Barricuda SATA Hard Drive (not all that quiet)
- Hauppauge PVR250
- USB-UIRT
- Logitech wireless keyboard/optical mouse
- Antec P160 case

It's all working very seamlessly with the 34XBR960 right now. I originally thought that I would need to run everything through Windows Media Center because of the 10 foot interface. But everything is so crisp on this TV that I can use the computer like normal without straining my eyes to read the text. It was very easy finding timings and resolutions that work with this TV. It could handle almost anything I threw at it. You can tell that everything is being scaled up to 1080i, but at resolutions around 1280x720, the amount of flicker is pretty minimal.

HD content being played from the PC is drop dead gorgeous! I really don't think it could look better. The colour and quality blew me away (the same can be said for regular HDTV content from the cable box).

Games also look amazing. So far, every game I've tried has supported widescreen resolutions. Last night I loaded up the Half Life 2 beta and the combination of the wide screen aspect ratio, high resolution, and 5.1 surround sound made it an extremely cinematic experience.

I honestly expected the setup and integration with this set to be more complicated, but everything went smoothly and the whole experience is pretty seamless at this point.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 111 Old 07-16-2004, 11:49 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 661 Post(s)
Liked: 628
So, you are using DVI at 1280x720?
post #3 of 111 Old 07-16-2004, 12:38 PM - Thread Starter

I had DVI->HDMI working at 1280x720 but there was some overscan that I didn't bother to deal with. My ATI component adapter came in the mail the same day I was hooking up the set, so for now I've been using that because there are already a lot of readily available timings and resolutions to worth with. I bet I could adjust the timings and get a slightly different resolution working in the 720p timings though. However, I've been using the HDMI input on the tv with the cable box and I don't really see the need to switch back to using it for the computer. Everything looks really great through the component cables.

I'm sure that at some point curiosity will get the better of me and I'll go back to the DVI cable to make a fair comparison. If I have time this weekend I'll give it a shot again.
post #4 of 111 Old 08-07-2004, 05:04 PM

Liked: 10
What timings you are using in PowerStrip? I just got my XBR960 today, and haven't been able to get it to work yet. I am using a DVI-HDMI cable.

Thanks for your help.
post #5 of 111 Old 08-07-2004, 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by phunkone
What timings you are using in PowerStrip? I just got my XBR960 today, and haven't been able to get it to work yet. I am using a DVI-HDMI cable.

Thanks for your help.

Did you have any issues with the ATI 9800 DVI > HDMI on 960?

I had no issues with 910, but on 960 I get initial post, screen goes blank on Drive detection until XP Starts...then goes blank again on Desktop and never returns.
post #6 of 111 Old 08-08-2004, 01:58 AM - Thread Starter

I abandoned all hope on the DVI->HDMI connection. 720x480 was the default resolution and it worked fine (4x3 though). There's a timing in the Powerstrip default custom timings list called 1280x720 (DVI/HDCP derived). This timing seemed to work fine, but I think there was a lot of overscan. I couldn't make any adjustments to the front/back porch without losing the display though, but I'm not sure if my scan frequencies were locked (it was when I was first beginning to use pstrip). This was the only other timing that I could get to work.

The downside to the DVI connection is that it either works or it doesn't. With a DVI->component connection on this tv you can have some incorrect timings but the set will usually produce some sort of image, even if it is a bit warped. The HDMI connection just seems to black out if it isn't getting exactly what it wants. I'm not sure if this has anything to do with HDCP or just the fact that ATI's drivers don't support the regular DVI spec used on tv's.

I've had a lot more luck with the component adapter. I have at least 8 different custom timings that I can use on this set for anything from 4x3 games to widescreen HD content. I didn't really notice a different in the PQ between the two different connections, but I wasn't exactly doing an A/B comparison. Using the component adapter really seems to be the way to go with this set though. Everything looks spectacular through it!
post #7 of 111 Old 08-08-2004, 02:00 AM - Thread Starter

I also just wanted to add that while I could see my computer's POST screen fine when booting with the DVI->HDMI connection, the bios would never display on the television, it would always black out. With the component adapter the bios displays fine.
post #8 of 111 Old 08-08-2004, 10:47 AM - Thread Starter

I tried the DVI->HDMI connection again this morning with my scan frequencies locked and I couldn't adjust the porches enough to eliminate the overscan. Anything over 29 on the Vertical Front Porch just caused the screen to turn black.
post #9 of 111 Old 08-08-2004, 07:33 PM

It's interesting that this was never an issue on the 910's DVI > DVI but the HDMI on the 960 is alot more picky.
post #10 of 111 Old 08-09-2004, 09:30 AM

Yeah, every time I try to make any adjustments my screen goes black. I orderd a DVI->Component cable, hopefully that will work for me. Thanks for the responses!
post #11 of 111 Old 08-12-2004, 11:41 PM

OK....I got the ATI DVI > Component piece. Wasn't expecting the dipswitches with no info as to what they do.

What are the dipswitch settings to make this work with the XBR960?
post #12 of 111 Old 08-13-2004, 08:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Phantastica:

how/where did you get MS Media Center edition ? I thought it only comes with pre-built HTPC's ?
post #13 of 111 Old 08-25-2004, 06:07 PM

Phantastica,

Ok, I got the DVI-Component cable, but I am still having trouble getting the picture to look good. Did you tweak powerstrip a lot. or did it just work when you selected 1280/720 in powerstrip. I don't have much experience with powerstrip, so I guess I should start reading up on it.

Thanks for your help.
post #14 of 111 Old 08-25-2004, 06:08 PM

I am running an ATI Radeon 9800 SE by the way.
post #15 of 111 Old 08-25-2004, 07:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by HDTVFanAtic
OK....I got the ATI DVI > Component piece. Wasn't expecting the dipswitches with no info as to what they do.

What are the dipswitch settings to make this work with the XBR960?

Mine didn't come with dipswitches. I thought ATI stopped doing that and controlled everything through the drivers. There should be some documentation on the ATI site detailing the dipswitches, but I think they're mainly used to set whether the tv is 720p or 1080i.

I definitely had to play with Powerstrip a lot to get all of the various standard 4x3 resolutions to work properly. I found that some of the default timings (or timings posted by other people) caused the top of the screen to bend. 16x9 resolutions seemed to works a little better.

Here are the timings that I'm using that have little overscan on my set:

PowerStrip timing parameters:
1152x648=1152,139,32,325,648,41,5,56,74166,272

1280x1024=1280,96,48,160,1024,80,11,63,53464,280

I used to have good powerstrip timings for 1024x768 and 1600x200, but my system crashed and I lost those. I was able to stablize the picture by adjusting the porches though. There was a sweet spot for each resolution that took a few minutes to find.

The timings that are built into the latest 4.8 Catalyst drivers seem to give me a solid picture at most resolutions though, so you may want to skip powerstrip altogether.
post #16 of 111 Old 08-29-2004, 01:01 AM

Have you actually captured HDTV content through firewire with this TV?
post #17 of 111 Old 08-29-2004, 11:54 AM

I tried it in the first 2 hours I got it and did not have a successful result. Quite honestly, it's been low priority with the other things going on. I will get around to it and see if I can make it work.
post #18 of 111 Old 08-29-2004, 12:41 PM

I've got the firewire cable all hooked up and my PC detects the TV as "Sony KD34XBR960" but I cant properly install it for use with DVHScap 'cause I have no TV driver. Any suggestions?
post #19 of 111 Old 09-05-2004, 01:25 PM

bump

I'd really like to know if anyone has been able to record HDTV using the iLink IEEE1394 Firewire port.
post #20 of 111 Old 09-05-2004, 09:59 PM

OK.....I decided tonight to get to the bottom of this one once and for all while waiting for a Hurricane to pass (thank goodness for APC UPS units).

Here is what I have come up with using various scenarios.

1) Windows XP sees this as a Sony KD34XBR960 (big shock). I have tried to force virtually every AVC tape and tuner drive I know of to install when asked. Windows will have none of it and doesn't accept any of them. Thus I have not been able to record to HTPC (which of course doesn't have encryption on the IEEE 1394 connection anyway).

2) I am able to record OTA HD signals from the Sony Tuner to a JVC DVHS deck.

3) I am able to record from the CableCard Connection to the JVC DVHS deck from any channels marked Copy Freely (The OTA Channels). Those marked Copy Once seem to record, but on playback after 1 second a Copy Protection notice comes up that this Copy Protected content cannot be played back. I *BELIEVE* this is the Sony TV rejecting the input (not the JVC shutting it down - but I am not sure). Either way, that's not the way it should be as you cannot playback material recorded with the Copy Once designation. This could also be an issue with the CableCard from SA if they botched this one up as bad as they did the SA3250HD IEEE connection.

4) You cannot record from the YPbPr inputs to the DVHS. It appears to record (the timer counts up on the DVHS) but the TV only displays a blank grey screen on playback.

5) You get the same results when recording from the HDMI input.

The JVC DVHS will record properly when connected directly to the SA3250HD STB so I assume the issue is the copyprotection in the Sony.

If you can modify one of the AVC drivers for this unit (I tried with no success) or can write one, I will be happy to see if I have better success recording to a HTPC.
post #21 of 111 Old 09-12-2004, 10:54 AM

It's frusturating because it seems clear that the hardware would allow us to record HDTV via firewire. Sad we (at least I) don't have the know-how to write the driver to let the TV talk to our PCs.
post #22 of 111 Old 09-12-2004, 12:56 PM

Given the output to the JVC DVHS, I think it's pretty clear you could only record OTA HD Channels or the usual commercial networks via cable marked free anyway.
post #23 of 111 Old 09-15-2004, 07:04 AM

I need help people.

I just bought the kd-34xbr960 and had RCN in NYC hook me up with there motorola dct6208.
I have my motorola hooked via component cables to the tv.
My regular digital cabl channels look terrible, very fuzzy and very grainy.

I have no coaxial cable going from the dct to the tv cause I was told I don't need it at all, and I even tried to do that and it didnt't fix anything.

The guy at PC Richard told me to make another input just for the regular digital channels from the extra video out in the DCT but this doesnt let me use the guide then on that input. I guess you can't use the DCT guide when using 2 inputs on the DCT box.

I tried changing the 4:3 setting from 480p to 480i and even off, and nothing seems to help.

Do I need the coaxial cable from the DCt to the tv (cable input) at all?
Everyone talks about the great quality that this yv has and I can only get that great quality onb the HDTV , not on the regular channels which I use the most.

PLEASE HELP, I will have the RCN guy come on Sunday to check it out, I might return the tv if it doesnt get better.

Right now the DTV on my tv screen is worse then the DTV I had on my 20 year old set last year.

Steve
post #24 of 111 Old 09-28-2004, 08:36 PM

Ok, so I have had my HTPC setup with my XBR960 for over a month now and am feeling a lot better about it lately. I am still having a few problems though, which maybe someone can offer some assistance. In any case, hopefully my experience will help someone else in the same situation.

This was my first experience with an HTPC. A friend of mine and fellow AVS member has an unbelievable setup at his apartment and basically convinced me this was the way to go. This is also the first nice TV I have ever owned. Up to this point I had a 27" Panasonic POS.

I first put the machine together with a GeForce 5700 card, and bought a DVI->HDMI cable to connect to the xbr960. I could never get this to work. I used VNC to mess around with the settings in PowerStrip for a long time. Eventually, I read this thread and saw that Phantastica recommended the ATI component adapter, and bought a DVI->component cable. Still no luck. Eventually, I got tired of fiddling with PowerStrip and bought an ATI Radeon 9800 SE and the component adaptor.

Right from the time I first booted up (I am running XP Pro), the component adapter worked like a charm. Thanks Phantastica! I set the resolution to 1280x720, but there was a bunch of overscan and a bunch of the desktop was out of the visible area. I then changed the resolution to 1152x648 and the picture was great.

My HTPC is setup as follows:

Athlon XP 2600+(333Mhz)
1024MB DDR400
ATI Radeon 9800 SE
AudioTek Prodigy 7.1
Linksys WMP54GS 802.11G (54mps) wireless card

Running:
XP Pro
Theatertek 1.5.64
ReClock
Daemon Tools

I connect to a media file server over the wireless network.

I have been trying to play DVDs using TheaterTek and have been experiencing problems with the audio. At first, the audio was way behind the picture, and there was occasional skips. I updated to XP SP2 because of some knowledgebase article I saw regarding some MS bug. After that, the audio was much better, but still wrong. I have TheaterTek setup with ReClock and everything is pretty smooth, but the audio is very slightly behind the picture, and there is still the occasional skip. Reclock makes it better, but it is still incredibly annoying.

Can anyone offer any assistance? I have read threads that mention that the refresh rate should be a multiple of 24 but was unable to find specific threads about this TV. Once I get this DVD playback problem worked out, I am going to be pumped about this setup so any assistance is greatly appreciated.
post #25 of 111 Old 10-07-2004, 12:17 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by phunkone
Right from the time I first booted up (I am running XP Pro), the component adapter worked like a charm. Thanks Phantastica! I set the resolution to 1280x720, but there was a bunch of overscan and a bunch of the desktop was out of the visible area. I then changed the resolution to 1152x648 and the picture was great.

phunkone:

Can you recheck your setting. I think you meant 1152x864. Can you confirm that.

Thanks.
post #26 of 111 Old 10-07-2004, 09:11 AM - Thread Starter

1152x648 gives me a perfect 16x9 image. 1152x864 gives me a severely underscanned 4x3'ish image with a lot of flicker. 1152x648 has been my "go to" resolution for pretty much everything. Games look great and run with good frame rates. DVDs and HD material looks great and I've been hardpressed to see any difference in going to different resolutions (1700x1000), other than a smaller, much harder to read interface.

I used to use this resolution in powerstrip, but it looks like it's supported natively in the latest (4.9) catalyst drivers.
post #27 of 111 Old 12-09-2004, 02:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I noticed all of you on this thread have only been using ATI based video cards with DVI output. Anyone have success hooking up an Nvidia or Matrox card to the 960 via DVI->HDMI?

HTPC: Intel NUC (DC53427HYE) running OpenELEC/Win7 Dual Boot
Projector: Optoma HD131Xe
Receiver: Onkyo TX-NR809
Screen: Elite Spectrum Electric 125"
Media Server: NAS4Free Core 2 Quad 2.40GHz
post #28 of 111 Old 12-10-2004, 11:14 AM

I'm new to powerstrip, so maybe this isn't 100% correct, but I'm using it right now to type this message:

1152x648=1152,184,40,272,648,38,7,57,74250,2304

Generic timing details for 1152x648:
HFP=184 HSW=40 HBP=272 kHz=45 VFP=38 VSW=7 VBP=57 Hz=60

Linux modeline parameters:
"1152x648" 74.250 1152 1336 1376 1648 648 686 693 750 +hsync +vsync

I've got a 9600SE over DVI->HDMI to the KD-34XBR960. I've gotten a very flickery 1080i mode to work too (Is the flicker just normal for 1080i?) I think if I managed a 540p mode then maybe I wouldn't get flicker at all.

Powerstrip confuses me. When Windows starts, the mode is correct but not centered, and then when I go into the powerstrip menus the screen becomes centered....not sure why it works that way.
post #29 of 111 Old 12-16-2004, 09:31 AM

Volfy, does the xbr960 require a "dual link" dvi/hdmi cable to attach it to a HTPC?
post #30 of 111 Old 12-16-2004, 02:02 PM

No. First I tried a monster cable and I'm 99.9% sure it was single link. It worked. Then I returned it and got a cable off ebay for 1/8th the price.

You need the latest powerstrip, and then just choose the EIA CEA 861P modes.

Last night I got it to work under Linux. To do that, you need to specify NoEDID somewhere in the X configuration file, because the TV doesn't tell the computer it can support 720p or 1080i but it can.

Quote:

Originally posted by KettleBlack
Volfy, does the xbr960 require a "dual link" dvi/hdmi cable to attach it to a HTPC?

Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page