JVC DILA and a PC via DVI->HDMI - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 25 Old 09-08-2004, 07:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Has anyone hooked up their HTPC to a JVC DILA TV with great success?

I'm using a nVidia Geforce 4 Ti4600 with dual DVI outputs and a DVI->HDMI cable. I've tried both an el cheapo cable and a Monster cable (only BB had one in stock and returnable ). I'm running a resolution of 1280x720p which is the native resolution of the JVC.

I'm getting what I call a ghosting effect. The text is not crisp and everything looks a little out of focus.

I compare this to the same picture on a Philips Cineos set and the text and graphics are pristine. Using a 1:1 pixel mapping, 1280x720p resolution though a DVI cable (No HDMI on the Philips) I was able to surf the web and read text with 1 point thin lines. All the icon text and winamp text was readable from the couch.

On the other hand, the JVC is giving me a headache with all the fuzziness. I'll try and post a picture here later when I get a chance to go home and work on this.

Just wanted to know if I have a defective set or is this an inherent problem with the JVC?

ARGH! Great picture on Cineos, but too small, unreliable, and too much for the upgrade to 62". JVC, great picture for everything else, but HTPC is looking like crap!

If you're gonna be broke, be broke in style!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 09-10-2004, 01:11 AM - Thread Starter

Closeup of ghosting
LL

post #3 of 25 Old 09-10-2004, 01:14 AM - Thread Starter

Here is a closer look at some black text on a pure white background
LL

post #4 of 25 Old 09-10-2004, 01:15 AM - Thread Starter

And a third closeup
LL

post #5 of 25 Old 09-10-2004, 02:02 AM

Can you post a larger image in addition to the extreme close-ups. Do you know you are at 1:1 mapping? I'd venture a guess and say maybe not.

Are you using PowerStrip? Did you run Moninfo?
post #6 of 25 Old 09-10-2004, 06:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I agree, the JVC DILA via DVI/HDMI and HTPC are not a good match right now. It can't do much in the way of low APL blacks, heck, you can't even get 1 moving bar using the AVIA black level test pattern, and surfing this forum, the text is a mushy mess with the colors not aligning correctly. DVD playback is just plain weird looking. I'm going to try the component input & see what happens. The photos shows what some have described as poor chomatic registration.
post #7 of 25 Old 09-13-2004, 05:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by genietime
Can you post a larger image in addition to the extreme close-ups. Do you know you are at 1:1 mapping? I'd venture a guess and say maybe not.

Are you using PowerStrip? Did you run Moninfo?

I'll try to get some more pics posted tonight. I just got back from a vacation so I'm trying to catch up with everything!

I'm not using Power Strip right now. It's pretty much a plain Windows XP install with the latest official nVidia drivers.

I'm pretty sure I'm at a 1:1 mapping since I set the video card to output 1280x720 resolution. Same thing I used to do on a Phlips Cineos and that was a 1:1 mapping. Although maybe the JVC is doing something a little strange. Didn't somebody say that the JVC chip is actually larger than 1280x720?

I'll try and Google Moninfo and see if I can download that and run it as well.

post #8 of 25 Old 09-13-2004, 05:21 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Karnis
I agree, the JVC DILA via DVI/HDMI and HTPC are not a good match right now. It can't do much in the way of low APL blacks, heck, you can't even get 1 moving bar using the AVIA black level test pattern, and surfing this forum, the text is a mushy mess with the colors not aligning correctly. DVD playback is just plain weird looking. I'm going to try the component input & see what happens. The photos shows what some have described as poor chomatic registration.

That chromatic registration seems to be off by more than a few pixels. If you look closely at the second pic, you can see that very fine screen door and if you count the pixels the text is really smeared. I would think that if the actual panels were misaligned by that much, it would show up more often, namely when you're watching normal shows.

I really hope that this problem can be fixed. I really want to use a HTPC with the TV for DVD playback, gaming and a boat load of other duties.

Let me know how the component input turns up. If that's the way to go I'll go that way, I would expect that the DVI would produce the sharpest picture since there is no D-A-D conversion unless JVC messed up the implementation.

post #9 of 25 Old 09-13-2004, 06:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I had the JVC D-ILA & hated the PQ after 10 minutes. Swapped it out for the LG the next day.
My observations
post #10 of 25 Old 09-14-2004, 11:51 AM
AVS Special Member

The JVC certainly seems to behave oddly with DVI PC input.

If anyone finds a solution for this I would be interested to hear about it.

It seems that JVC's solution is to say "don't do it"

Personally I can't see that there should be any difference between a PC input and video through DVI/HDMI - the problem is just more obvious with PC input.

One that that you might be interested to hear is that the unit I have been looking at is much better than most I have seen in the stores for colour shift green vs magenta. So there is some hope on that count.

Cheers!
DAve.
post #11 of 25 Old 09-14-2004, 09:15 PM
Advanced Member

I think poster's need to specify *WHICH* JVC D-ILA product they are using.

I spent 30 minutes at Cedia with the new JVC HD2k and a very helpful local sales rep. He let me connect my laptop (DVI out), and I was able to get perfect 1 to 1 pixel mapping (ati 9700 mobility radeon, 1920 x 1080 60 hz), a few tests with ZP and some ripped HD content displayed the most beautiful picture I saw at the show outside of Projection Systems $150k projector.

If we are talking rear projection, Sony displayed a new SXRD RPTV that had the best picture I've ever seen from a RPTV (I'm biased toward front projection), and it rivaled most of the DLP projectors displayed.

Just my $.02 of course....
post #12 of 25 Old 10-06-2004, 01:26 AM - Thread Starter

Here are those overall pics finally! Finally getting back to something fun again!

Please ignore the large discoloration from white to a yellow. This is an artifact of me taking the picture. The yellow color isn't there when you look at the screen.

I'm hosting the pics on my home directory. How do you guys post a large pic > 640x640 on this forum?

Here is a wide shot:

Notice how there are errors on the edges of the red lettering.

Here is a closeup of the text again:

You can really see some of the color breaking apart here.

And here is a closeup of the Windows Logo and the XP text:

Take a close look at the 'i', the Windows XP logo, and the red "XP" text.

It looks like a convergence issue. Do you guys think it would be worth it to try and see if JVC will send someone out to calibrate the display? Does anyone know if this display can be calibrated in the field?

post #13 of 25 Old 10-06-2004, 01:28 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by orbitzboy
I think poster's need to specify *WHICH* JVC D-ILA product they are using.

I spent 30 minutes at Cedia with the new JVC HD2k and a very helpful local sales rep. He let me connect my laptop (DVI out), and I was able to get perfect 1 to 1 pixel mapping (ati 9700 mobility radeon, 1920 x 1080 60 hz), a few tests with ZP and some ripped HD content displayed the most beautiful picture I saw at the show outside of Projection Systems $150k projector.

If we are talking rear projection, Sony displayed a new SXRD RPTV that had the best picture I've ever seen from a RPTV (I'm biased toward front projection), and it rivaled most of the DLP projectors displayed.

Just my $.02 of course....

I have the JVC HD-61Z575. I apologize for any confusion.

post #14 of 25 Old 07-19-2005, 02:17 AM

I have spent all weekend with 4 different videos card...... (6600gt worked the best) and both component and dvi out. no mater what i try the image is blown out (like you see if you set your computer monitor refresh too high) and the image ghosts very bad, not to mention that my 1on1off test pattern is solid gray.

you have any luck figuring it out?

my x-box with mvp 2005 looks great...... which makes me wonder what is the computer doing that it can't send a true 720p signal out either component or DVI, when the video card clearly has an option for "monitor is and HD Display"

any insight to this would be great

thanks
JW
post #15 of 25 Old 07-21-2005, 02:09 AM - Thread Starter

I've had this happen before on an older version of the nVidia drivers. When I tried to go past 720P the screen would look like the sync signals are off.

Which version of the nVidia Forceware drivers are you using?
Which card do you have exactly?
Do you see the PC bootup screen clearly? (Ignoring the overscan problem at this stage)

Here is my current config:

Gainward Geforce4 Ti4600 with dual DVI outputs
DVI->HDMI cable from either port seems to work fine for me

Forceware drivers v71.89

When I open up the Geforce display panel, here are the settings in the relevant areas:
nView Display Settings:
- nView Display Mode: Single display
- Current display: HD-52Z575A
* Hitting Device Settings:
* Treat Digital Display as HDTV is checked
* TV Format is 720p HDTV

Digital Flat Panel Settings:
- Centered output
* Note that preview states my max resolution is 1920x1080

Screen Resolution:
- 1176x664 pixels
- Screen refresh rate: 60 hertz

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWHunter View Post

I have spent all weekend with 4 different videos card...... (6600gt worked the best) and both component and dvi out. no mater what i try the image is blown out (like you see if you set your computer monitor refresh too high) and the image ghosts very bad, not to mention that my 1on1off test pattern is solid gray.

you have any luck figuring it out?

my x-box with mvp 2005 looks great...... which makes me wonder what is the computer doing that it can't send a true 720p signal out either component or DVI, when the video card clearly has an option for "monitor is and HD Display"

any insight to this would be great

thanks
JW

post #16 of 25 Old 07-21-2005, 02:11 AM - Thread Starter

Forgot to mention that the resolution is a bit strange due to the fact that I ran through nVidia's overscan compensation tool. I let it underscan my screen and it came up with this funny resolution. Your resolution is probably going to be slightly different. It will depend on where your chips display the screen and how much of the bezel is covering the unseen portion.

post #17 of 25 Old 07-21-2005, 02:16 AM - Thread Starter

Also look at this reponse from Jaa-Yoo:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...il#post5656977

You may need to turn the detail ALL the way down to get rid of the ghosting.

post #18 of 25 Old 01-08-2006, 09:33 PM

I have a JVC HD-ILA HD-61Z85 It has component inputs and one HDMi input. I am trying to hook my computer up to my tv so I can play videos, and S-Video works just fine but looks like crap. So I have a Radeon 9600 series video card, and I first tried to run a VGA to component cord from my card to my television. I got nothing but a blurry screen, but it might have been the wire I bought off ebay. After that didnt work and messing with the settings for the ATI catalyst program and powerstip program I gave up. So then I purchased a DVI to HDMi monster cord and it worked for about 2 minutes until it just didnt get a signal anymore it looked great but it still never fit the screen right. So after that I thought it might have been my video card. So I went out bought a Radeon x700 Pro tried it out. I put the card in and no luck at all with the DVI to hdmi cord no signal nothing and it said it would work better at least from what I read from reviews. So now I am here trying to get some help because I really would like my tv to work with my computer so I can set up a media center surf the web play video games you know all that fun stuff. So now I have been looking for a tuner that will allow DVI input and HDMi out that will come out with a nice signal, but once again no luck they have all hdmi inputs and dvi inputs but no dvi input and hdmi output. Just need some help so if you have any insight please message me back. Thanks
post #19 of 25 Old 01-08-2006, 09:33 PM

I have a JVC HD-ILA HD-61Z585 It has component inputs and one HDMi input. I am trying to hook my computer up to my tv so I can play videos, and S-Video works just fine but looks like crap. So I have a Radeon 9600 series video card, and I first tried to run a VGA to component cord from my card to my television. I got nothing but a blurry screen, but it might have been the wire I bought off ebay. After that didnt work and messing with the settings for the ATI catalyst program and powerstip program I gave up. So then I purchased a DVI to HDMi monster cord and it worked for about 2 minutes until it just didnt get a signal anymore it looked great but it still never fit the screen right. So after that I thought it might have been my video card. So I went out bought a Radeon x700 Pro tried it out. I put the card in and no luck at all with the DVI to hdmi cord no signal nothing and it said it would work better at least from what I read from reviews. So now I am here trying to get some help because I really would like my tv to work with my computer so I can set up a media center surf the web play video games you know all that fun stuff. So now I have been looking for a tuner that will allow DVI input and HDMi out that will come out with a nice signal, but once again no luck they have all hdmi inputs and dvi inputs but no dvi input and hdmi output. Just need some help so if you have any insight please message me back. Thanks
post #20 of 25 Old 02-08-2006, 08:58 PM

I just bought a JVC HD-56G768 and the first thing I did was buy a DVI-to-HDMI cable to hook my computer to my new HDTV. I had an ATI 9800 Pro with latest Catalyst drivers. I hooked it up and I would get a screen that looked awesome for a second and then nothing. I looked in the manual and I saw that connecting a computer to the HDMI port was not supported. I was crushed! I hooked up the VGA cable and if you set up the correct resolution (1024X768@60Hz) it looks ok but you dont get to use the entire 56". I used this for a few days and decided I wanted to use the whole screen so I went out to find a ATI component out adapter. The local Best Buy did not have it but they did have a Nvidia 6200 (PNY) with bundled component breakout box. I bought it, installed it into my HTPC, and connected the component. I was getting the entire 56" but it did not look as sharp as VGA. Just on a whim I tried the HDMI (DVI-to-HDMI cable) and it worked!!!! Not only did it work but it is STILL WORKING! I have not dared to upgrade the drivers but I think they are 77.XX. I did not have to reset the HDMI or anything like that. I did have to use the underscan feature to make the desktop fit.

I just wanted you guys to know that even though the manual says this will not work, it does.

*pete
post #21 of 25 Old 10-13-2006, 04:36 PM

thanks pete, it's funny cause i did the SAME exact things you did with my jvc 56g786. =)

started with vga (worked but 1024x768 looked awful)
went with the pny 6200 with component which worked and looked much better but something was still off and not as sharp
so then i finally bought a dvi to hdmi cable (which should arrive soon) and give that a shot. is the picture crisp like a normal lcd computer monitor?

can i ask you what you set your tv on? 720p in nvidia settings or 1080i? The nvidia underscan tool is probably the coolest thing i have used thus far when dealing with htpc's.
post #22 of 25 Old 02-25-2007, 04:07 PM

I'm thinking of buying the JVC HD-61FH97 , but I want to run everything throguh my htpc. Does anyone know if the 2006 models have issues when connecting to a pc?

I've read some stuff that says you can do 1080P through hdmi, and then others who say it looks really bad and there is some kind of delay. Some say use nvida and then I read that nvida has some kind of memory issues?

This tv is dirt cheap at the moment, so all I really need to know is can I play doom 3, Hl2 etc full screen 1080P with no delay/lag along with all my htpc media?
post #23 of 25 Old 02-25-2007, 05:29 PM

Liked: 11
I have the HD-61FN97 running DVI-->HDMI and it looks great. I (well, most of the time it's my young nephew) play Q4 at 1080P and don't notice any delay at all. However, you should have at least a 1900 series ATI card or a 7900/8800 series NVIDIA card to play comfortably at that resolution using the Doom 3 engine with all the bells and whistles. An 8800 can even run 4X AA and 16X AF at that res and it really looks crispy.
post #24 of 25 Old 02-25-2007, 11:10 PM

On the HD-70FN97, 70" version of this tv how clear is text? I want to be able to check email and webpages from my lazyboy. I have a GeForce 8800GTX videocard and I want a huge display for videogames and internet. I can't seem to find the ms response time listed anywhere? I need a tv with a low response (or zero but I think crt was the only tv technology rip that had it) time for split second timing on FPS games.

Are these LCOS technology tv's generally good for htpc and very fast pace video games? Does this tv have a game mode?
post #25 of 25 Old 02-26-2007, 07:48 AM

Liked: 11
So long as you have the set properly calibrated your text should be very clear. I can browse the web with no problems on my 61" so a 70" shouldn't be any different. As far as response time, LCoS displays are as good or better than the fastest LCDs on the market with response times in the 3 to 5 ms range (some claim 2.5 or better but they're using averages instead of rise and fall). Still, even with a 5 ms time you shouldn't perceive any ghosting even on the quickest of twitch games.

Yes, the JVC sets have a mode setting that you can use specifically for gaming if you like.
Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page