Mce 2005 Faq - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 1857 Old 12-06-2004, 12:22 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I haven't read this thread in its entirety (don't have time now but will try on lunch), but can someone advise me as to whether I can run MCE properly with either a Radeon 9000 64MB or a 9600XT 128MB?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 1857 Old 12-06-2004, 12:31 PM
AVS Special Member

I've run it with a 9600 non pro and a 9600SE, both 128MB. The only problem I'm having is stuttering on OTA HDTV with a Fusion 3. SDTV and DVD are fine.

I have no idea if it's cuz the card is too wimpy for HDTV output in MCE or if it's a Fusion problem. The recorded dvr-ms files play fine in WMP10.
post #273 of 1857 Old 12-06-2004, 04:09 PM
Advanced Member

BTW, I will only be running at 800x600 since my projector is VGA, that should let me run a lower card... correct? Do you think my 9000 64MB version is far too skimpy? I have a 9600 XT in my other computer that I could move over, and I also have one that I was going to sell to a friend that I might keep... I just don't feel like sitting on two $100 rebates...
post #274 of 1857 Old 12-06-2004, 05:11 PM
Advanced Member

Check the ati site to see if their are MCE drivers for the 9000-which i don't think there are. w/o the mce drivers, success seems spotty. plus, it needs to be directx9 compliant. the 9600xt has been reported to work well.

DirecTV + Antenna + 3 Locations = 325 feet of quad shield RG6. AARRGGHH!
post #275 of 1857 Old 12-06-2004, 06:38 PM
CJO
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
The 9000 isn't supported by MCE, but the 9600 XT.

CJ

coneilliv at aol dot com

The Dark Knight Theater
(a bunch of good reference links and material in first 15 posts)
post #276 of 1857 Old 12-07-2004, 04:40 PM
Advanced Member

Oh I see... I didn't realize there were MCE-specific drivers!

I have an Onkyo UD-5 which is a USB adapter that sends audio out through optical to my reciever. It uses the standard drivers built into XP... do you think I may have a problem with it? I REALLY hope not!
post #277 of 1857 Old 12-07-2004, 04:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by cdt9c1
Here's one for the FAQ: what are the minimum real-world hardware requirements to run an HD MCE?
i.e. minimum graphics card options & CPU speed specifically

Thanks!
Chris

I would also like to know this......
post #278 of 1857 Old 12-07-2004, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Louse76
BTW, I will only be running at 800x600 since my projector is VGA, that should let me run a lower card... correct? Do you think my 9000 64MB version is far too skimpy? I have a 9600 XT in my other computer that I could move over, and I also have one that I was going to sell to a friend that I might keep... I just don't feel like sitting on two $100 rebates...

When I was setting up MCE using my ATI 9000, I had it hooked up to an old monitor that could only go to 800x600. NTSC, DVD and ATSC all seemed to work fine. When I hooked the PC up to my projector and bumped the resolution up to 1080i or 720P, the ATSC (files and live) became choppy. The DVD playback and NTSC were still fine. I tried the ATI Decoder and the NVIDIA Decoder. Performance was about the same for both.

If you're not doing HD or if you're only going to run at 800x600, give the 9000 a try.

Bob
post #279 of 1857 Old 12-08-2004, 01:20 PM

After reading all the threads on MCE 2005 and HDTV Wonder I am very close to having HDTV working in my HP 495c. I upgraded to a ATI 9600 for DVI output to my Sony GWIII. I upgraded to MCE 2005 and installed all the latest updates and drivers. And I'm using 9.03 drivers from ATI.

Jumpy Video: I wouldn't call my problem stuttering. More like Video running at 5 frames / sec instead of 30 and video lagging the audio. Standard Def video and audio and DVD playback are flawless.

I have tried most of the suggestions here except turning off Hyper Threading. How do you do that?

Any other ideas of what to try would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Rock
post #280 of 1857 Old 12-08-2004, 02:31 PM
Advanced Member

RockScaler:

What Mpeg Decoder are you using? If its WinDVD4 or even 5 or older versions of PowerDVD, try downloading the trail of powerDVD6-these codecs and the Nvidia ones seems to work best for HDTV in MCE '05.

post #281 of 1857 Old 12-08-2004, 11:05 PM

I'd like to find out whether anybody has information that could help me determine whether an HP 873n MCE (which currently has a GeForce4-MX420 64 MB DDR graphics card) and has already successfully upgraded to MCE 2005 using the HP provided upgrade would/should work with the ATI HDTV Wonder. I'm planning to remove the modem card since all the slots are currently filled (to make room for the HDTV tuner card). I have a few concerns:

* I recall reading that two tuner cards not be placed next to each
other. If so, I'll need to move around the cards.
* Will I need to replace the GeForce card with an ATI card?
* If I need to upgrade the graphics card, what's the least expensive
card I could use?
* The HP MCE 2005 documentation says HP doesn't support
adding a 2nd tuner to an upgraded PC, and even that it won't
work, so I'm especially interested in anybody with experience
getting this to work.

Thanks,
John Diamant
post #282 of 1857 Old 12-09-2004, 07:57 AM

Some folks are trying to get a MCE IRC chat room up and running.

Server/Network = irc.slashdot.org
Channel = #mce

Drop on by and say hi!..... or just idle....
post #283 of 1857 Old 12-09-2004, 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by rlundy
RockScaler:

What Mpeg Decoder are you using? If its WinDVD4 or even 5 or older versions of PowerDVD, try downloading the trail of powerDVD6-these codecs and the Nvidia ones seems to work best for HDTV in MCE '05.

OK, I downloaded and installed PowerDVD with no change in my jumpy Video. I also downloaded and ran Microsoft Codec checker. It shows that Cyberlink is set as my prefered decoder. How can I be sure that MCE 5K is using PowerDVD for HDTV playback? -Rock
post #284 of 1857 Old 12-09-2004, 11:06 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:

Originally posted by JohnDiamant

card I could use?
* The HP MCE 2005 documentation says HP doesn't support
adding a 2nd tuner to an upgraded PC, and even that it won't
work, so I'm especially interested in anybody with experience
getting this to work.

Hi John,
First, I don't have an HP MCE, so my answers are based on experience with the HDTV Wonder and some knowledge, but not specific to HPs.

I don't know about placing 2 tuners next to each other. If they fit, the only problem I can see would be signal interference, but there's a lot of RF in a computer anyway, so I would think the tuners would be designed to deal with it.

You don't have to have an ATI video card to use the HDTV Wonder, but I don't think the GeForce you have is sufficient. You need a video card compatible with Direct X9, and I thought that began with GeForce 5200. I use the 5200fx with my HDTV Wonder. I'm quite happy with it, and it wasn't too expensive if I recall.

Hope this helps,
-Kevin

-Kevin
post #285 of 1857 Old 12-09-2004, 11:32 AM
CJO
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I've also read that you shouldn't place the two tuner cards in adjacent slots. Also note that the HDTV wonder may have to be placed in a specific slot, which is dependent upon the manufacturer of your computer.

CJ

coneilliv at aol dot com

The Dark Knight Theater
(a bunch of good reference links and material in first 15 posts)
post #286 of 1857 Old 12-09-2004, 12:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by CJO
I've also read that you shouldn't place the two tuner cards in adjacent slots. Also note that the HDTV wonder may have to be placed in a specific slot, which is dependent upon the manufacturer of your computer.

CJ

I have my 2 tuner cards and HDTV wonder in adjacent PCI slots and no issues, just fyi.
post #287 of 1857 Old 12-09-2004, 01:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by RockScaler
OK, I downloaded and installed PowerDVD with no change in my jumpy Video. I also downloaded and ran Microsoft Codec checker. It shows that Cyberlink is set as my prefered decoder. How can I be sure that MCE 5K is using PowerDVD for HDTV playback? -Rock

Cyberlink is PowerDVD. Check out my video stutter thread it may help, I still have the stutter but I haven't had time to try most of the possible fixes at the bottom of the thread.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...39#post4784639
post #288 of 1857 Old 12-09-2004, 03:03 PM
Advanced Member

Remote Blaster

Ok, this is probably a dumb question... I've never used remote blasters before. I see the remote (I need to buy it, only have software and it's not installed yet) comes with two remote blasters. This is something that you use to control another device like a cable box etc, right?

So I could use this to control my HDTV reciever via the remote... but there's no way to get that HDTV signal into my computer to control within MCE, is there?
post #289 of 1857 Old 12-09-2004, 07:06 PM
Advanced Member

Ok, I have noticed an issue within MCE that does not occur in WMP10.

Basically, when I either put in a DVD or use a ripped DVD, if there is a Title menu with various buttons, the buttons never show as highlighted/"active"/"Selected" if you know what I mean. Which renders it difficult to navigate through the DVD menus.

I am running MCE 2k5 with the latest NVDVD decoders, 2 tv tuners, ati hdtv, 3.2 ghz P4, etc etc.

Seems to work fine in all other DVD players I try (WMP10, Zoomplayer).

I searched, but couldn't find info on this (though I swear I read something similar to this a while ago).

Any help? Thanks
post #290 of 1857 Old 12-09-2004, 07:28 PM
Advanced Member

Genro, I've had problems like this with WMVHD material-I still can't jump to a desired chapter using the menus. haven't had the problem yet with any dvdin mce (haven't watched that many yet).

I have had the same behavior on certain dvds using cheap dvd players-chalked it up to weird menu authoring. does it happen on all dvds or just a few?

Robert

post #291 of 1857 Old 12-09-2004, 07:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rlundy
Genro, I've had problems like this with WMVHD material-I still can't jump to a desired chapter using the menus. haven't had the problem yet with any dvdin mce (haven't watched that many yet).

I have had the same behavior on certain dvds using cheap dvd players-chalked it up to weird menu authoring. does it happen on all dvds or just a few?

Robert

Hey Robert, thanks for the response.

Unfortunately seems to occur with all DVDs I try within MCE. Those I simply put into my DVD drive, and others that I have ripped and play through the "My Movies" plug in.

Just tested the Red Sox World Series DVD, and can't see menu highlights in MCE, but works fine in WMP.

Anyone have a clue?
post #292 of 1857 Old 12-09-2004, 07:57 PM

Louse76,

You go into TV setup and use the manual mode to setup a STB. MCE will then ask you to use your STB remote and if it can identify the signal will program your PC to control the STB. If it can't it will then learn your STB remote and when you use the MCE remote, MCE will send the learned remote codes to your STB. You have to get close for the learning to work though you can't do it from across the room... I'm using the MCE remote to run my Samsung HDTV DirecTV STB without issue (other than it has to connect to MCE via SVideo so don't get the benefit of HDTV ). I also use a PMSVideo Component input card for HDTV from the STB but that only works outside MCE.

Don

Regards,

Don
post #293 of 1857 Old 12-09-2004, 08:31 PM
Advanced Member

Aha!

Fixed my problem of the button "highlights" not showing up.

In the nvdvd decoder properties, I checked (to TRUE) the Hardware Acceleration option even though I have a Radeon 9800 pro card.

That's it, it works normally now.

Are there any bad side effects of having it checked with a Radeon card or does it basically do nothing w/o an nvidia card?
post #294 of 1857 Old 12-09-2004, 08:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by genro
Aha!

Fixed my problem of the button "highlights" not showing up.

In the nvdvd decoder properties, I checked (to TRUE) the Hardware Acceleration option even though I have a Radeon 9800 pro card.

That's it, it works normally now.

Are there any bad side effects of having it checked with a Radeon card or does it basically do nothing w/o an nvidia card?

Gah, and now I get artificats with Hardware Acceleration enabled.

Seems like this has happened to others, searching through the NVDVD thread.

Seems like Radeon card + NVDVD is the problem
post #295 of 1857 Old 12-09-2004, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by JohnDiamant
I'd like to find out whether anybody has information that could help me determine whether an HP 873n MCE (which currently has a GeForce4-MX420 64 MB DDR graphics card) and has already successfully upgraded to MCE 2005 using the HP provided upgrade would/should work with the ATI HDTV Wonder. I'm planning to remove the modem card since all the slots are currently filled (to make room for the HDTV tuner card). I have a few concerns:

card I could use?

Thanks,
John Diamant

Okay.. Here are the facts as I see them, having JUST finished my final config on my new 1.8 ghz MCE 2005 machine.

The ATI Radeon 9550 which I just picked up 1 month ago to work well with MMC, is a no-go in MCE. Even with hacked drivers. What a waste. I went out and picked up an Nvidia FX5700 Home cinema board. Cool, it even comes with an exact ATI remote wonder clone (clearly, both came from X10 originally). It has a built in TV / FM tuner, and MCE doesn't recognize either of them. Oh well.

I also have a standard PVR-250 card. Works great.

I have the HDTV wonder. Works fantastic. After kicking the 9550 out of the system, just for fun, I put my GF4-MX/440 in. Guess what? It worked for SD and 720p! No 1080i, which is why I had to run out and get the FX5700. Perfection! Even at 1.8ghz, I can record 1 HD and 1SD program at the same time, PLUS watch a pre-recorded HD program. CPU is at about 80%. Not too shabby.

I didn't know that the 5200 would work. I can verify the 5700 works, and it's on Microsoft's OEM list.

TJD
post #296 of 1857 Old 12-10-2004, 04:40 AM
AVS Special Member

"Seems like Radeon card + NVDVD is the problem"

It's a driver problem.... period.

Jim White
St. Petersburg, FL
post #297 of 1857 Old 12-10-2004, 06:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jimwhite
"Seems like Radeon card + NVDVD is the problem"

It's a driver problem.... period.

Yes you're right. I'll upgrade to Cat 4.11 soon, and that should fix it hopefully.
post #298 of 1857 Old 12-10-2004, 07:09 AM
AVS Special Member

I've got an AIW 9700 Pro (latest MCE drivers from the ATI site, mixed in some of the hacked drivers from the web), and just switched to the Nvidia decoder and it works great, no video stutter that I had with PowerDVD 6.
post #299 of 1857 Old 12-10-2004, 12:20 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I'm hoping that someone can give a detailed answer or description of how you can get the very best picture quality within MCE 2005.
My setup is as follows:

Digital Cable box ->in-> Hauppauge WinTV PVR-250 (via SVIDEO input)

DVD DECODER:
I've done alot of reading on dvd decoders. They are supposed to improve not only dvd playback quality but are also *necessary* for tv picture as well as enhancing the tv picture quality. From what I gather the Nvidia DVD decoder and the Power DVD 6 decoders seem to be the best. I chose to go with the Nvidia.

PVR CARD/DRIVERS:
The Hauppauge PVR-250 retail.
The drivers it seems that there are a couple different drivers you can use - either the ones from shspvr.com or the mce drivers from hauppauges site (even for the retail version of the PVR-250). I chose to go with the drivers from Hauppauges site because after scrutinizing the differences between the two, they have the same revision numbering system which leads me to believe that Hauppauges are as good or better considering they are the ones making the card.

VIDEO CARD/DRIVERS:

I have read you must have a directx 9 compatible card to run MCE 2005. I have also read alot of posts about which one is better and why. I decided to use an ATI Radeon 9800 pro that I had sitting around and use the very latest ATI MCE drivers for it.

My biggest question is - how the heck does all this stuff work together? In any given forum thread you'll see people arguing which video card drive improves picture quality or what dvd decoder improves picture quality or what pvr card has the best picture quality when recording and which pvr card drivers provide the best quality.

As it stands my picture quality within MCE 2005 is maybe 65% of what it is when viewing it direct from the digital cable box. This is the live picture quality, not the recorded picture quality. I don't really understand what, from the above listed *factors* is really even needed with regard to picture quality. One would think that the dvd decoder would have nothing to do with it, but apparently, that does.

I know people are getting great tv picture quality within MCE and I am hoping to do the same!

Thanks very much to any comments!
post #300 of 1857 Old 12-12-2004, 03:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

http://www.wmplugins.com/ItemDetail.aspx?ItemID=376
Media Library Exporter allows you to export your media library to an MS Access database. You can then make reports or changes to your media data as you like. It also allows you to import the database back into the media library. This may be usefull if you want to make bulk changes, such as file location changes, without losing media library settings, such as favorites, play count, etc.

Maybe this will allow us to fix quickly the music folder structure in MCE2005.
Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page