Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally posted by etcarroll
Crab -

Where is the thread?

It is here: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...readid=496819, but it didn't get much attention.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 1857 Old 01-17-2005, 09:10 PM
Advanced Member

I've got two problems... I am now no longer getting sound when trying to play DVDs. Maybe this is because the PowerDVD trial is up? They will play otherwise and I can hear sound in WMP.

Also, when recording, it will randomly go to black and white on the recordings, normally towards the end it seems. Has anyone ran into this? I'm using the E Home Wonder with the most updated drivers...
post #363 of 1857 Old 01-20-2005, 01:12 PM
Advanced Member

Well I've found that entering a valid serial fixed my sound problem. Any input on the other problem anyone?
post #364 of 1857 Old 01-20-2005, 01:25 PM
Advanced Member

Howdy

Does anyone know how to, had any luck, or know where to point me to "make" shortcuts for MCE modules other than the standard 4.

I need a shortcut for MyMovies (and maybe others), so I can use it with my Harmony remote, so I can change modes on my receiver when entering the MyMovie module, and revert back to the previous receiver mode, when leaving the MyMovies module.

How are others setting up playing movies using a 3rd party DVD Player and getting "any" sort of Automation from MyMovies, just looking for some fresh ideas.

Thanks Alot

Jeff
post #365 of 1857 Old 01-20-2005, 01:26 PM
Advanced Member

Hi all,

Wanted to post my experience with a couple of newer tuner cards and also a question -

I have MCE2005 on my HTPC, and overall it works very smoothly. I have the Hauppauge WinTV-PVR-500MCE dual-tuner card, and this thing has worked perfectly from day one. Easy to set up, no problems at all.

To this setup I added the VBox DTA-151 HD tuner, reviewed here -

http://htpcnews.com/main.php?id=vbox_1

It was easy to set up and overall works well. I do have loss of audio after fast-forwarding an HDTV recording, and after changing channels in HD Live TV. Does anyone have any ideas about a fix for the loss of audio problem? Thanks,

DE

Calvin & Hobbes - Greatest. Comic. Ever.
post #366 of 1857 Old 01-20-2005, 02:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
First of all, lemme say that i did do a search for the answer in this thread but came up empty.

Is there anyway I can change subtitles and audio tracks on the fly when playing a dvd with a mouse or keyboard? It's kinda annoying having to go to the title menu of the dvd. I do not have a MCE remote.

Thanks

My ArgyllCMS/MadVR 3DLUT Creation Workflow
My Sharp Elite Movie THX AV Mode Settings
--Aug 2011 Set, 2.2 gamma [ link ]
--Nov 2012 Set, 2.2 gamma [ link ]
post #367 of 1857 Old 01-20-2005, 03:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by dedwards
Hi all,

Wanted to post my experience with a couple of newer tuner cards and also a question -

I have MCE2005 on my HTPC, and overall it works very smoothly. I have the Hauppauge WinTV-PVR-500MCE dual-tuner card, and this thing has worked perfectly from day one. Easy to set up, no problems at all.

To this setup I added the VBox DTA-151 HD tuner, reviewed here -

http://htpcnews.com/main.php?id=vbox_1

It was easy to set up and overall works well. I do have loss of audio after fast-forwarding an HDTV recording, and after changing channels in HD Live TV. Does anyone have any ideas about a fix for the loss of audio problem? Thanks,

DE

There is a thread on this very matter elsewhere - basically if you are using an ADI audio chipset you need up-to-date drivers (which can be very hard to find)

Jonathan
post #368 of 1857 Old 01-20-2005, 04:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 77
FAQs are handy and often uncover things undocumented elsewhere, but I find a current book can often be quite handy. A quick search of Amazon turned up only one book on MCE that includes info about the 2005 edition.

Is this the best, or is there something better, on MCE 2005:

"PC Magazine Guide Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005"

Be great if O'Reilly published something....

post #369 of 1857 Old 01-20-2005, 10:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by N3W813
First of all, lemme say that i did do a search for the answer in this thread but came up empty.

Is there anyway I can change subtitles and audio tracks on the fly when playing a dvd with a mouse or keyboard? It's kinda annoying having to go to the title menu of the dvd. I do not have a MCE remote.

Thanks

There isn't another way that I know.
post #370 of 1857 Old 01-21-2005, 08:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks, Gnollo.

Another question, after some tinkering last nite, my title bar (the one with the close, minimize, and maximize buttons) and the player controls are NOT aligned to the edge of the screen anymore. It looks like there is a one inch border.

Anyone know how to correct this?

Here is a screenshot

post #371 of 1857 Old 01-21-2005, 10:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Did you change the resolution of your display while MCE was open?
If you did, did you reboot your machine?
I have changed resolution several times, but MCE automatically resizes to the right resolution.... The only way I see something similar is when I use remote admin to connect to my HTPC from work, so I can setup some recording. Remote Admin does not support 1366x768....
post #372 of 1857 Old 01-21-2005, 10:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Depending on what kind of display you tell MCE you are using, it will add space (to compensate for overscan it assumes an RPTV would have, for example). I tell MCE I have a digital projector and the borders are placed at the edge of the screen.

Would be nice if there was documentation that explained this, rather than having to learn about it from trial and error.

post #373 of 1857 Old 01-21-2005, 11:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks nathan, I changed it to 'Flat Panel' and the borders are back at the edge of the screen.

Appreciated.

post #374 of 1857 Old 01-21-2005, 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by nathan_h
Would be nice if there was documentation that explained this, rather than having to learn about it from trial and error.

Agreed. If you find any, please post it here too: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...readid=496819,
post #375 of 1857 Old 01-21-2005, 11:15 PM

DD 5.1 question.

I read the XPMCE.com article "TV Tuners, Graphics Cards, Surround Sound" 28 April 2004. Section 1.8 states Can MCE play TV in 5.1 surroun sound?
MCE does not currently support capture of 5.1 surround sound sources.

http://www.xpmce.com/xpMCE_FAQs/Wind...urround_Sound/

The Microsoft web site contradicts this.
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/m...v/default.mspx

Benefits of HDTV in Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005
Theater-quality audio
Enjoy booming bass and crystal clear 5.1 surround sound available with many primetime programs including movies and popular TV shows.

So which is true or are they both? Can you only hear 5.1 when watching live HDTV, but not playback recorded shows in 5.1 that were broadcast with 5.1?

I searched on 5.1 after I scanned through the entire faq and did not see a mention of this.

*edit*
Sorry for the post but I just saw that the XPMCE article was an FAQ for MCE 2004 edition.
*edit*

Bryan
post #376 of 1857 Old 01-22-2005, 01:33 AM

I'm also having an issue with Dolby Digital 5.1. I had the NVDVD decoder installed (latest version) I set it up to use SPDIF out to my DD/DTS receiver. When watching or playing TV shows that I know have DD, the receiver does not switch to DD mode. Same with watching a DVD that is known to support DD.

I then installed PowerDVD6, and tried again. Used MS's codec checkup utility to confirm PowerDVD 6 was the default codec. Again, no DD out of TV or DVD. Clicking More Programs, Cyberlink setup, did allow me to choose Use SPDIF, but no go. Going to settings, DVD, Audio, brings up an XP dialog box with several choices in a drop-down box. Selecting SPDIF reverts back to 2 speakers as soon as you click on it. Headphone, 4,5,6,7,8 speakers are all selectable. Now going into the More Programs, Cyberlink setup screen will not let me choose use SPDIF. I tried uninstalling the NVDVD decoder and rebooting, no help. Checker confirms PDVD6 is default codec.

If I play a DVD from PowerDVD6 at the XP desktop, the receiver does switch to DD or DTS mode, and works fine.

Hardware is:

Asus P4P800 Deluxe (SoundMax audio[AD1985], using Toslink adapter board)
I am using the newer drivers hidden on Asus's site under the P5P800 board.
P4 2.8
ATI AIW 9800 using component out to 50" HD RPTV (AIW WDM drivers installed, but not using the tuner on the AIW)
ATI HDTV Wonder

If anybody has any idea how to correct this, or knows where to point me to solve it, I'd really appreciate it. I have looked at TGB and XPMCE, didn't see anything there.

EDIT: After playing with it; trying different things for hours (like installing WINDVD Plat 6 trial), I've isolated it to the soundmax drivers. The new 5150 drivers from Asus's site will not pass AC3 over SPDIF under MCE2005; they work fine from WinDVD or PowerDVD on the XP desktop. Using the older (3630) soundmax drivers WILL work from MCE or XP. But! They have a problem where if you pause or fast forward/rewind the video, the receiver loses audio sync from the SPDIF, and you get no sound till you do something to reset it. Minimizing and maximizing the MCE window will do that. Rather inconvenient. Only thing I haven't tried yet is using the coax SPDIF out on the motherboard instead of the add-on optical out. It's a pain cause the receiver only has one coax input, and I'm using it for the other system with a MyHD in it.
post #377 of 1857 Old 01-22-2005, 09:26 AM

What is the disk space required for a fresh install of MCE 2005? I have a few disk drives that I might be able to use that are not in use instead of buying a new one. I would only install the OS on the drive and software that comes with hardware, but nothing else. How much space is required for that?
Would 10 gig be enough?
Would 20 gig be enough?
All other media will be on another internal disk drive and on another computer on the network.
Bryan
post #378 of 1857 Old 01-22-2005, 09:56 AM
Advanced Member

10 gb is fine, I have my OS partition at 8 gb
post #379 of 1857 Old 01-22-2005, 01:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Markz2k
I'm also having an issue with Dolby Digital 5.1. I had the NVDVD decoder installed (latest version) I set it up to use SPDIF out to my DD/DTS receiver. When watching or playing TV shows that I know have DD, the receiver does not switch to DD mode. Same with watching a DVD that is known to support DD.

I then installed PowerDVD6, and tried again. Used MS's codec checkup utility to confirm PowerDVD 6 was the default codec. Again, no DD out of TV or DVD. Clicking More Programs, Cyberlink setup, did allow me to choose Use SPDIF, but no go. Going to settings, DVD, Audio, brings up an XP dialog box with several choices in a drop-down box. Selecting SPDIF reverts back to 2 speakers as soon as you click on it. Headphone, 4,5,6,7,8 speakers are all selectable. Now going into the More Programs, Cyberlink setup screen will not let me choose use SPDIF. I tried uninstalling the NVDVD decoder and rebooting, no help. Checker confirms PDVD6 is default codec.

If I play a DVD from PowerDVD6 at the XP desktop, the receiver does switch to DD or DTS mode, and works fine.

Hardware is:

Asus P4P800 Deluxe (SoundMax audio[AD1985], using Toslink adapter board)
I am using the newer drivers hidden on Asus's site under the P5P800 board.
P4 2.8
ATI AIW 9800 using component out to 50" HD RPTV (AIW WDM drivers installed, but not using the tuner on the AIW)
ATI HDTV Wonder

If anybody has any idea how to correct this, or knows where to point me to solve it, I'd really appreciate it. I have looked at TGB and XPMCE, didn't see anything there.

EDIT: After playing with it; trying different things for hours (like installing WINDVD Plat 6 trial), I've isolated it to the soundmax drivers. The new 5150 drivers from Asus's site will not pass AC3 over SPDIF under MCE2005; they work fine from WinDVD or PowerDVD on the XP desktop. Using the older (3630) soundmax drivers WILL work from MCE or XP. But! They have a problem where if you pause or fast forward/rewind the video, the receiver loses audio sync from the SPDIF, and you get no sound till you do something to reset it. Minimizing and maximizing the MCE window will do that. Rather inconvenient. Only thing I haven't tried yet is using the coax SPDIF out on the motherboard instead of the add-on optical out. It's a pain cause the receiver only has one coax input, and I'm using it for the other system with a MyHD in it.

I have EXACTLY the same problem and had come to the same conclusion (the problem resides with the soundmax drivers). I hadnt realized the earlier ones worked however (with the loss of sound problem). There are some later drivers than the 5150s. I may try the latest I can find to see. Check out the "loss of SPDIF" thread around here for some links to more later drivers.

Interestingly you CAN get the Realtek 97 drivers to work with the ADI 1985 - but I couldn't get the "control panel" for the realtek to come up (even tho the drivers were installed and I was getting sound).

I don't think the coax switch makes any difference.

:-(

Jonathan
post #380 of 1857 Old 01-22-2005, 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by jotter
I have EXACTLY the same problem and had come to the same conclusion (the problem resides with the soundmax drivers). I hadnt realized the earlier ones worked however (with the loss of sound problem). There are some later drivers than the 5150s. I may try the latest I can find to see. Check out the "loss of SPDIF" thread around here for some links to more later drivers.

Interestingly you CAN get the Realtek 97 drivers to work with the ADI 1985 - but I couldn't get the "control panel" for the realtek to come up (even tho the drivers were installed and I was getting sound).

I don't think the coax switch makes any difference.

:-(

Jonathan

There are also some new drivers on Asus's site for the same P5P800 board with some sort of Creative Demo, and SoundMax 5242 drivers. I downloaded that and ran the setup, and it came back with an error about incompatible hardware. I then manually tried to install the drivers in the SMAXWDM\\W2K_XP directory using have disk, and it did install the drivers. They do seem to work, but have the same problem as the 5150's. So, for now, I'll stick with the 3130 drivers. If you press stop then play while watching a recorded show, it re-inits the SPDIF so you don't lose sound.

I may play around with the realtek 97 drivers at some point, if I get bored.
post #381 of 1857 Old 01-22-2005, 08:26 PM
Advanced Member

So I finally upgraded my ATI driver's hoping it would fix the following issue:

For my ripped DVDs, if there is a menu there is no highlight for the buttons/menus.

But if I open the same DVD in WMP, the highlights are there.

I thought it was a catalyst issue, so I upgraded today to 5.1, and still the same.

Any ideas?

I'm running a Radeon 9800 pro, NVDVD (latest) decoder, MCE 2k5, etc. Thanks!
post #382 of 1857 Old 01-23-2005, 08:19 AM

I tried to find the thread where this issue was being troubleshot, but could not, so I decided to post my workaround here...

Some folks are having trouble with their extenders disconnecting and jkp suggested a window, attempting to obtain focus on the MCE box, could be causing the issue.

Until yesterday, I noticed no connection problems with my XBox Extender and my MCE 2005 machine. Then, last night, boom -- I would get a brief MCE desktop (sometimes) on my extender and then almost immediately, a disconnect message.

I tried multiple times and verified no apparent window was open on my MCE desktop and saw no desktop activity there but still received the same error on the XBox Extender.

One of the last apps I installed on the MCE 2005 machine was the Beta1 Microsoft AntiSpyware (awesome app, btw, highly recomended) and enabled real-time protection. Thinking this was perhaps causing the issue, I disabled real-time monitoring and, voila, no more connection problems with the XBox Extender.

Just an FYI for you folks with this problem, YMMV. Perhaps it will be corrected in later releases of AntiSpyware.

Thanks, E.
post #383 of 1857 Old 01-24-2005, 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by mike_jensen99
I've read this thread, searched the forums here and at TGB but haven't found these answers. I've been dabbling with XLobby, Mainlobby, etc. and I'm hoping to have a touch screen setup with the GUI and the dvd, HD, pictures, etc. on my main Pioneer display. But I have not seem much about dual displays. Is this at all possible? Running the gui in one display (possibly controlled via remote desktop) and the output of the dvd player going to the second? This is definitely possible with the other software.

Second question - do I understand I can't use my USBUIRT as a blaster? So the only blaster is the MS packaged one? I could live with that if it works and I can program on or off macros, etc. Say I want to watch satellite, it tunes the receiver, changes tv and receiver input. Want to watch dvd - switch inputs and turn on my changer. Or am I asking too much of MCE here?

I'm afraid, in my reading, that this is all remote driven and the power button will turn on only one item. No macros. No dvd jukebox controlling, no input changing, etc. If so, then I'm likely stuck back with Mainlobby and it's price tag. It works fine with one dvd library having some ripped and others in the mega changer. It takes a little doing to get it setup, but it's sweet when it's there.

What are the thoughts on these items?

Thanks!

Did you ever get an answer to your dual display question? I searched and this is the only post that has dual display in it.

I would like to output the media center application over DVI but the regular desktop via VGA.
That way I can correct for overscan on the VGA output to make sure I can see the entire desktop.
post #384 of 1857 Old 01-24-2005, 01:08 PM
CJO
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I don't know of any way to have the GUI on one display and the video on another. You can have MCE on one display and your regular desktop on another. However, MCE takes over your mouse and locks it to the display showing MCE. You can unlock it by pressing Ctrl-Esc, but it sometimes jumps over again anyway- it's very annoying.

I also don't think that you can control several devices natively with MCE, the IR blaster is made to control one device (your cable box or satellite). Not sure about USBUIRT.

CJ

coneilliv at aol dot com

The Dark Knight Theater
(a bunch of good reference links and material in first 15 posts)
post #385 of 1857 Old 01-24-2005, 01:16 PM

Having MCE on one display and regular desktop on another is what I am hoping to do.
Do you configure that in XP or in the MCE application?
post #386 of 1857 Old 01-24-2005, 01:21 PM
CJO
AVS Special Member

In XP. All you have to do is have the second display set up as an extended desktop. You "restore down" your MCE GUI and drag and drag it to your second display. You can then maximize the GUI and you're set.

CJ

coneilliv at aol dot com

The Dark Knight Theater
post #387 of 1857 Old 01-24-2005, 01:26 PM

Excellent thanks. I will have to give it a try when I get the video card installed in my new HTPC.
post #388 of 1857 Old 01-25-2005, 10:58 AM

Re: Concerning the OEM version of MCE 2005

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by COE
Does this have to be installed on a clean hard drive, or can it be installed on top of e.g. Win XP? In the past OEM versions required new/clean hard drives to install. I am rebuilding my PC now, and I was wondering if I should try out MCE - the plan is the PC will become a HTPC soon

Christian
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Did anyone ever get an answer to this question ? I am running XP Pro and would like to "upgrade" with the OEM disks to XP Media Center. Can I do it?

D
post #389 of 1857 Old 01-25-2005, 11:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

New version of My Movies now imports the list from the DVD Profiler collection (you need to export it to your hard disk from Profiler and then import it back in MCE).
Awesome!
http://www.binnerup.dk/mce/mymovies.htm
post #390 of 1857 Old 01-25-2005, 12:11 PM
CJO
AVS Special Member

You can upgrade with MCE. However, you may lose the option of using extenders. MCE gives you the option of using or not using domains. If you use domains, you can't use the extenders.

CJ

coneilliv at aol dot com

The Dark Knight Theater
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page