Mce 2005 Faq - Page 19 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #541 of 1857 Old 02-24-2005, 02:11 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ok, I have been following this thread since day one. I have actually picked up a ton of knowledge in here. However I do have an issue still lingering around that hopefully someone has a quick answer to.

I normally run my resolution at 1776x1000 which works great when watching the digital channels. Specifically for the HD channels which makes them fullscreen . However it makes all of my channels for my DirectTV reciever which comes in via S-video have black bars on the sides. It is like they are locked into 4:3 and will not display fullscreen. Now if I switch my resolution to 640x480 then the DirectTV comes in at fullscreen, but then I got black bars on the above and below on my HD channels. I running my computer to my Mits 55" RPTV via RGBVH. Anyone have any suggestions on how to fix this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 1857 Old 02-24-2005, 03:25 PM
Advanced Member

Just tested Remote record, and it seems to work well!!

I'm very excited by this. The only thing it seems to be lacking that I would think would be a key feature is the ability to cancel a scheduled recording (also doesn't see any scheduled recordings you set up on your MCE box).
post #543 of 1857 Old 02-24-2005, 03:55 PM
Advanced Member

Could we make a list of what Set Top Box Cable/Satellite works with MCE 2005 IR Blasters. I have two DirecTV receiver and neither one of them works with the IR Blasters.

Curtis

Curtis
Xbox Live ID: Blaze104
MSI Media Live DIVA 5.1
Ahanix MCE701 case
LG Blu-ray/HD-DVD
3 Cable Card
1 HDHomerun
Windows 7 32bit
42" HP MediaSmart
WHS Norco 4020 case w/ WHS 2011
post #544 of 1857 Old 02-24-2005, 06:13 PM

I Have Voom HD and the IR Blaster controls it fine
post #545 of 1857 Old 02-25-2005, 03:12 AM

I got a question. Is it possible to still use the purple breakout box that comes with HDTV Wonder in MCE2005? Before I installed MCE2005, I use the TV program in ATI MMC to access it.

Thanks.
Paul.
post #546 of 1857 Old 02-25-2005, 07:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Tragik
Ok, I have been following this thread since day one. I have actually picked up a ton of knowledge in here. However I do have an issue still lingering around that hopefully someone has a quick answer to.

I normally run my resolution at 1776x1000 which works great when watching the digital channels. Specifically for the HD channels which makes them fullscreen . However it makes all of my channels for my DirectTV reciever which comes in via S-video have black bars on the sides. It is like they are locked into 4:3 and will not display fullscreen. Now if I switch my resolution to 640x480 then the DirectTV comes in at fullscreen, but then I got black bars on the above and below on my HD channels. I running my computer to my Mits 55" RPTV via RGBVH. Anyone have any suggestions on how to fix this?

So the ZOOM feature doesn't work?

There's Good TV, Better TV and DirecTV, but nothing beats a calibrated TV!!
www.clearlyresolved.com
post #547 of 1857 Old 02-25-2005, 07:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hey Jay, thanks for the link. I was able to modify my registry to use
the ATI MPEG Decoder that the ATI program uses for it's DVD player, so
the DVD player in MCE is passing through DD.

I didn't actually explain my question good enough.

From what I have found, the MCE Television/DVR program uses an MPEG2 decoder/encoder for the video and an MPEG1 decoder/encoder for the audio which is resulting in the audio coming out in Stereo.

I searched my registry last night to try to figure out what CLSID the player is using so I can change it, but I had no luck.

Is it not possible to change this codec?

www.clearlyresolved.com
post #548 of 1857 Old 02-25-2005, 08:18 AM

what happens when you install MCE over XP without a tuner? it seems like it'll install, but (obviously) not work without a tuner. where would it fail if i just dropped an ATI HDTV Wonder in and tried to use it?

also, i checked out which cards are supported (http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/m...erlisting.mspx)

and many are not listed. do they all, in general work or should i absolutely stick with the cards on the list? i'd like to avoid wasting too much cash on an analog card that i won't be using....
post #549 of 1857 Old 02-25-2005, 08:40 AM
AVS Special Member

There is a way to get MCE to work with only the ATI HDTV Wonder. It will install just fine but won't see a tuner.

After it installs you need to do the hack on the driver for the ATI Card. Do a search for KRAM's Drivers.

www.clearlyresolved.com
post #550 of 1857 Old 02-25-2005, 08:41 AM

i saw those KRAM drivers and couldn't figure out what they were for. lots of pages to read. :-) thank you.
post #551 of 1857 Old 02-25-2005, 08:43 AM
Advanced Member

You can install without an analog card (just with an HDTV wonder) using some hacked drivers. There are numerous threads here (and on xpmce.com, or thegreenbutton.com) on how to do it. You could check out my intel PERL MB setup tips for a quick summary of one way of doing it.

Jonathan
post #552 of 1857 Old 02-25-2005, 10:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:

Originally posted by smodak
I use Leadtek 6600GT AGP, NVIDIA decoder .67 and .71 version of forceware drivers and the .tp captures with mYHD MDP-120 play just fine .

How does MCE know to even display .tp files as valid options for playback?

post #553 of 1857 Old 02-25-2005, 11:12 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

I Have Voom HD and the IR Blaster controls it fine

How did you get the Voom IR to work with MCE2005. I trained it and still won't swith channels. I just got Voom Monday.
post #554 of 1857 Old 02-26-2005, 07:59 PM
Advanced Member

Sorry if this has been asked before:
post #555 of 1857 Old 02-26-2005, 08:03 PM
Advanced Member

I have been playing around with the 'Watched Folders' entry for MCE so as to have one MCE2005 machine be able to see the Recorded TV files on another MCE machine to no avail.

What I found, however, is that if I copy one of the files from the other MCE PC over to my local drive (create a new folder and put the video file in it and then put that path in 'Watched Folders'), MCE will list it as a show under 'Recorded TV'. However, if I put that same file in a folder on another PC in the network, this does not work.

I have tried both a) putting the network path (i.e. \\\\computername\\c\\folder) and using map Nework drive to create a virtual drive letter (i.e., Z:\\folder) as well as the DOS 'subst' command. I also have read/write rights to the networked folder/drive.

Has anyone gotten this to work?

Thanks,

Jon
post #556 of 1857 Old 02-26-2005, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by roachxp
How did you get the Voom IR to work with MCE2005. I trained it and still won't swith channels. I just got Voom Monday.

I bought this
http://www.pcalchemy.com/product_inf...roducts_id/160
I attached the blaster cord to the voom box. Use a flashlight to fnd the LED (it is just on the right of the green power led on the left side of the box) and attach the blaster cord over it. Conect Voom S-Video output to the S-Video inpout of your MCE tuner. Set up MCE to use Voom Satellite and that's all.

Again "Use a flashlight to find the IR LED " in the voom box. This is very important. You have to attach the blaster cord LED just on top of it, otherwise it does not work.

How is your OTA in Milford?
post #557 of 1857 Old 02-26-2005, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by nathan_h
How does MCE know to even display .tp files as valid options for playback?

Right click on a TP file and open with WMP 10. There will be a warning dialog, check the checkbox in the dialog and ignore the warning. WMP 10 will start playing the tp capture. Basically your are associating tp files with WMP10 this way.

Go in MCE2005, add your tp capture folder to my videos and you would see all your tp captures.
post #558 of 1857 Old 02-27-2005, 05:09 AM

Quote:

Right click on a TP file and open with WMP 10. There will be a warning dialog, check the checkbox in the dialog and ignore the warning. WMP 10 will start playing the tp capture. Basically your are associating tp files with WMP10 this way.

Go in MCE2005, add your tp capture folder to my videos and you would see all your tp captures.

I didn't have any luck with this. I was using the NVidia decoder and TP files generated by a Fusion card using the latest software and drivers. I'd get a blank screen and no audio in WMP 10. MCE refused to play the file.

The latest Fusion software strips out Null packets and does some other manipulation of the stream as it's recording it. Maybe that was why it didn't work for me. Which software decoder are you using and what is the source of your TP files?

Bob
post #559 of 1857 Old 02-27-2005, 05:41 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
I bought this
http://www.pcalchemy.com/product_inf...roducts_id/160
I attached the blaster cord to the voom box. Use a flashlight to fnd the LED (it is just on the right of the green power led on the left side of the box) and attach the blaster cord over it. Conect Voom S-Video output to the S-Video inpout of your MCE tuner. Set up MCE to use Voom Satellite and that's all.

Again "Use a flashlight to find the IR LED " in the voom box. This is very important. You have to attach the blaster cord LED just on top of it, otherwise it does not work.

How is your OTA in Milford?

Thanks

The OTA is great I get 27 channels including subs.
post #560 of 1857 Old 02-27-2005, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by cerulean
I didn't have any luck with this. I was using the NVidia decoder and TP files generated by a Fusion card using the latest software and drivers. I'd get a blank screen and no audio in WMP 10. MCE refused to play the file.

The latest Fusion software strips out Null packets and does some other manipulation of the stream as it's recording it. Maybe that was why it didn't work for me. Which software decoder are you using and what is the source of your TP files?

Bob

Works Perfectly for me each time. tp source is MyHD MDP 120 and decoder is NVIDIA .67
post #561 of 1857 Old 02-27-2005, 08:22 AM
Advanced Member

Sardaan

What steps did you take to install the HDTV Wonder under MCE 2005? I have almost the same setup as you as far as mobo and processor but can never get MCE2005 to recognize the analog part of the tuner. I even tried using the Kram hack.

Asus A7N8X Deluxe NF2 (not the A7N8X-E version)
Sapphire Radeon 9600 Proo
1gig of pc2700
On board sound
etc.

I have Sapphire 550 Pro card but I want to get MCE2005 installed first without the 550 Pro card then add the additional tuner. Please help

My other problem is getting the microsoft remote and IR Blaster to change channels on my RCA UltimateTV Satellite Receiver.

Curtis

Curtis
Xbox Live ID: Blaze104
MSI Media Live DIVA 5.1
Ahanix MCE701 case
LG Blu-ray/HD-DVD
3 Cable Card
1 HDHomerun
Windows 7 32bit
42" HP MediaSmart
WHS Norco 4020 case w/ WHS 2011
post #562 of 1857 Old 02-27-2005, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by jon_rhees

I have been playing around with the 'Watched Folders' entry for MCE so as to have one MCE2005 machine be able to see the Recorded TV files on another MCE machine to no avail.

What I found, however, is that if I copy one of the files from the other MCE PC over to my local drive (create a new folder and put the video file in it and then put that path in 'Watched Folders'), MCE will list it as a show under 'Recorded TV'. However, if I put that same file in a folder on another PC in the network, this does not work.

I have tried both a) putting the network path (i.e. \\\\computername\\c\\folder) and using map Nework drive to create a virtual drive letter (i.e., Z:\\folder) as well as the DOS 'subst' command. I also have read/write rights to the networked folder/drive.

Has anyone gotten this to work?

Thanks,

Jon

Jon,
Have you created a second watched folder locally then tried moving a file from recorded TV folder to newly created watched folder on the same MCE machine? Does the moved file still show up in the recorded TV list?
Bryan
post #563 of 1857 Old 02-27-2005, 11:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by curtis104
Sardaan

What steps did you take to install the HDTV Wonder under MCE 2005? I have almost the same setup as you as far as mobo and processor but can never get MCE2005 to recognize the analog part of the tuner. I even tried using the Kram hack.

Asus A7N8X Deluxe NF2 (not the A7N8X-E version)
Sapphire Radeon 9600 Proo
1gig of pc2700
On board sound
etc.

I have Sapphire 550 Pro card but I want to get MCE2005 installed first without the 550 Pro card then add the additional tuner. Please help

My other problem is getting the microsoft remote and IR Blaster to change channels on my RCA UltimateTV Satellite Receiver.

Curtis

To install an HDTV wonder without another tuner there are lots of threads here and elsewhere that give you instructions. One way which has not failed for me in several installs (and worked for others) are neihns - which I reproduced here

I even indicated the same thread about 10 posts ago!

Make sure you follow the exact steps and it works. You should NOT rely on using the analog portion of the HDTV card however - you can't record from both on the wonder without nasty things happening. My installation uses a 9600 Pro too so you should have no problems.

Jonathan
post #564 of 1857 Old 02-27-2005, 02:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bryankeithg
Jon,
Have you created a second watched folder locally then tried moving a file from recorded TV folder to newly created watched folder on the same MCE machine? Does the moved file still show up in the recorded TV list?
Bryan

Yes, this works. As long as it is on the *same* machine. Once I move it across a network it does not work.

Another note -- what *does* work across a network is that I can still use the 'My Videos' and add the networked folder and the videos will appear there and play back just fine. Unfortunately, with this method the videos simply appear as thumbnails only and you don't get the nice synopsis of the recorded show like you do in the 'Recorded TV' screen.

-Jon
post #565 of 1857 Old 02-27-2005, 05:10 PM
Advanced Member

I believe this is a security issue as MCE is XP Home based. There is a utility "Share my tv" on thegreenbutton.com which allows you to add shares for TV folders across MCE machines and it does some stuff to make MCE run in the correct security context.

Jonathan
post #566 of 1857 Old 02-27-2005, 06:08 PM

I have a problem with my ATI HDTV card.
It works for a few minutes (variable) and then freeze the PC. The picture is stuck and the PC is non responsive.
When I watch HDTV the CPU is very busy - close to 100%. Could this be the problem?

Has anyone else seen this problem?

My spec:
- MCE 2005.
- Athlon XP 1700
- 512 mem

Always looking for a better home theater system...
post #567 of 1857 Old 02-27-2005, 06:47 PM

Liked: 15
Q. My visualizations don't work anymore when playing music?

A. Uninstall AC3Filter. Your visualizations will work again.
post #568 of 1857 Old 02-27-2005, 06:55 PM

How do I tell MCE 2005 to use DXVA on my 6600GT?
post #569 of 1857 Old 02-27-2005, 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by frederic
I have a problem with my ATI HDTV card.
It works for a few minutes (variable) and then freeze the PC. The picture is stuck and the PC is non responsive.
When I watch HDTV the CPU is very busy - close to 100%. Could this be the problem?

Has anyone else seen this problem?

My spec:
- MCE 2005.
- Athlon XP 1700
- 512 mem

Yeah, Frederick, your computer looks to be underpowered, or, marginally capable of delivering HD tv.

Remember, we are talking about high resolution video, and video files are the most demanding kind of files a computer can process.

This is a mistake that a lot of people make. They believe that they can use marginal pc parts or left over parts, and try to get away with doing it on the cheap.

I say, think of a MCE 2005 with the HDTV Wonder as a high performance computer system, and design the system with that in mind.

In addition, before doing a system with OTA HD tv in mind, before buying or building the system, the first step is to analyze the antenna requirements, that is, determing the proper antenna and the proper direction to point it. If you can't figure out a reasonable antenna configuration, forget a computer for doing OTA HD tv.

New Box: One Fusion 5 RT Gold and a Powercolor Theater 550 Pro in microBTX system
post #570 of 1857 Old 02-28-2005, 03:43 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by jotter
I believe this is a security issue as MCE is XP Home based. There is a utility "Share my tv" on thegreenbutton.com which allows you to add shares for TV folders across MCE machines and it does some stuff to make MCE run in the correct security context.

Jonathan

I think that MCE is XP Pro based. During setup, it gives you the option of joining a domain. XP Home cannot join a domain.

Bob
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page