Mce 2005 Faq - Page 22 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #631 of 1857 Old 03-20-2005, 10:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My first example was poor, but it was only to indicate the picture should be in the same folder as the Video_ts.

So the actual name of the picture is "folder"

JOE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 1857 Old 03-20-2005, 05:31 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Joe,
Thanks. Naming the picture folder was the trick.
Bryan
post #633 of 1857 Old 03-20-2005, 06:44 PM

Cool

Bryan & Joe

Works great.

Thanks

New Box: One Fusion 5 RT Gold and a Powercolor Theater 550 Pro in microBTX system
post #634 of 1857 Old 03-20-2005, 09:10 PM

I've never used the MyMovies plug-in, but is that the definitive answer -- the only option for playing DVD ISO's is to use MyMovies, which has some sort of configuration option for calling Daemon Tools whenever an ISO is selected?

Thanks again!
post #635 of 1857 Old 03-20-2005, 09:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by RogueWarrior
OK I have an AIW 9800 Pro and an HDTV Wonder.

I installed MCE 2005 and it refused to recognize the AIW as a tuner card (so I could not use the HDTV Wonder). Went out and bought a 250, and now that part is fine.

So I have 2 questions:

1) Is the AIW 9800 Pro not a legal tuner card for MCE?

It is not offically supported. It does not have a hardware MEPG2 encoder so timeshifting video with it is CPU intesive. It's just not worth the hassle.

Get a ATI TV Wonder Elite, or the clone from Saphire. They're quite excellent.
post #636 of 1857 Old 03-21-2005, 04:06 PM
AVS Special Member

None of the AIW cards are supported as tuners.
post #637 of 1857 Old 03-21-2005, 04:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by rusten
I've never used the MyMovies plug-in, but is that the definitive answer -- the only option for playing DVD ISO's is to use MyMovies, which has some sort of configuration option for calling Daemon Tools whenever an ISO is selected?

Thanks again!

Yes, that is the only way to do it with ISO's.
post #638 of 1857 Old 03-21-2005, 04:34 PM
AVS Special Member

They might work, but they are not "supported" by ATI or Microsoft.

Quote:

Operating systems supported

The latest version of the CATALYST software suite is designed to support the following Microsoft Windows platforms:

* Windows XP
* Windows 2000
* Windows Media Center Edition (graphics driver support only)

http://www2.ati.com/drivers/Catalyst...ase_notes.html
post #639 of 1857 Old 03-21-2005, 04:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the pointer, shakafell!

As for the answer to 'who cares'? Just ask all of the people around here that have spent money on hardware that was not "supported" and now find out that it doesn't perform like thye throught it would. You should be able to find just a few of them around here. A lot of work goes into providing information about what offically is supported and works correctly and what doesn't.
post #640 of 1857 Old 03-21-2005, 04:55 PM

From an official ATI FAQ:

Q7: Is my RADEON VIVO or ALL-IN-WONDER® product supported in Windows XP Media Center Edition?
A7: ALL-IN-WONDER® and VIVO variants are not currently supported under Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005.

Moreover, none of the ATI AIW products are listed among the products "designed for" WMCE.

However, eventhough the AIW's are not officially supported, it doesn't mean the AIW won't work in WMCE. You just won't get much help from ATI or MS. You're on your own.

New Box: One Fusion 5 RT Gold and a Powercolor Theater 550 Pro in microBTX system
post #641 of 1857 Old 03-21-2005, 05:01 PM

Just an FYI...

Hauppauge Technologies will be releasing a new HDTV Tuner next month for MCE... I will have more details on the card soon.

Also...

Microsoft will be releasing an update to MCE '05 in June/July...

No one knows all that this update will offer yet. The only thing i've been told so far is that it will now support the new bidirectional cable cards coming out. The newest revisions of tier one HTPC's should be coming out with the bidirectional card slots installed.

I'll post more information when I can if anyone is interested.

Aaron S.
HIDEF Lifestyle
post #642 of 1857 Old 03-21-2005, 05:30 PM
AVS Special Member

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\\SOFTWARE\\Microsoft\\CurrentVersion\\Med ia Center\\Service\\Video\\Tuners\\DVR [Watch for forum word wrap]

BackingStoreEachFileDurationSeconds = 300
BackingStoreGrowBy = 6
BackingStoreMaxNumBackingFiles = 8
BackingStoreMinNumBackingFiles = 6

300 seconds = 5 minutes * 6 files = 30 minutes

Changing those values would get you started, but unless you don't use the EPG or you watch REALLY long shows, you will likely never get additional recordng time since the timeshift will reset based on when the show starts in the EPG.

Use at own risk, backup your registry and machine before trying, I have never tried it, don't get mad when it screws something up
post #643 of 1857 Old 03-21-2005, 07:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Cable card support in MCE???? Fantastic. Keep us in the loop, HiDefLifestyle1. I would love to timeshift HD cable content in MCE, but so far it's a no go for me.

Build Thread: "Nathan's Theater in Search of....".
post #644 of 1857 Old 03-22-2005, 10:36 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally posted by ChrisL01
Thanks for the pointer, shakafell!

As for the answer to 'who cares'? Just ask all of the people around here that have spent money on hardware that was not "supported" and now find out that it doesn't perform like thye throught it would. You should be able to find just a few of them around here. A lot of work goes into providing information about what offically is supported and works correctly and what doesn't.

OTOH, ask the people around here that spent money on hardware that IS supported and doesn't work.

It boils down to either it does or does not work ON YOUR SYSTEM. That's the risk part of the risk/benefit ratio of building your own HTPC.

That's my $.02

-Kevin
post #645 of 1857 Old 03-23-2005, 04:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Today I installed my new 6600GT card (Gigabyte and AGP). Quieter than my 5600. No problems with the new drivers.
Could not notice an improvement in s-video capture through NVTV.
I noticed a visible improvement in DVD Playback. Watching "the Incredibles" DVD gave me some true 3d moments on my 50 inches Panny. So far so good. I will test WMVHD soon.
post #646 of 1857 Old 03-23-2005, 07:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Anyone have the ATI TV app running on mce2005 OS with a AIW9800 and also have TV recognized and working within MCE? I am using the latest 5.3Catalyst (not MCE certified drivers - but these are suppose to work with MCE)

Also, probably a cabling problem, but I see Svideo within MCE, but no sound playing LiveTV. Audigy Platinum EX sound card. Is the AIW9800 sound output suppose to plug into the Soundcard In?

The Audigy plugs toslink into my Lexicon DC-1 at 48khz. All other sounds are hear fine.

TIA

CEO
Tallus LLC
post #647 of 1857 Old 03-24-2005, 10:43 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 117
I'm planning on nuking and paving my current HTPC and installing MCE 2005. I am brand new to this, so please forgive me if my questions are very newbie oriented. I did try to research some of the answers, but couldn't find most of the them:

1. Since MCE is basically XP with the MCE app, what level of XP is it (SP1, SP2)? What updates will I need to install to bring it up to date?
2. I use a MyHD card for all of my OTA recording, both SD and HD (though I do VERY little SD). IS MyHD directly supported in MCE, or are there any plans of it in the future?
3. If it is not, and I suspect it isn't, what PCIe tuner card should I buy for HD recording that is supported by MCE? I specified PCIe because my mobo only has 3 PCI slots, and currently they are occupied by my VGA cooler, Revo 7.1, and MyHD, so the only available slots I have open are the PCIe x1 type.
4. I bought the MS OEM remote and IR unit, but I also use Girder with the USB/UIRT. Can I use a single IR receiver to handle both MCE and Girder functions? If so, which one, the USB/UIRT or the one that came with the MCE remote (or the Evation IRMan that I still have hanging around)?
5. Where can I find the definitive guide to setting up TheaterTek as the default DVD player?

I am very appreciative that Gnollo started this FAQ, but if he or anyone else would like to come forward to maintain an *offical* FAQ (one that is not cluttered with questions like mine, but rather kept concentrated, clean, and read only), please contact me via PM and we can get this going. As it stands now, finding information is not easy (I know, I tried ), and since MCE is becoming so immensely popular and mainstream, it would be a valuable asset to the forum to have such an official FAQ on the topic.
post #648 of 1857 Old 03-24-2005, 10:57 AM

I can only answer the first question. MCE is based on pre-service pack XP, so you should apply SP2 (except that some have noted issues, so a search in this thread for SP2 might be wise). I've had no trouble with it on my system.

-Kevin
post #649 of 1857 Old 03-24-2005, 11:08 AM
Advanced Member

[quote]Originally posted by Bob Sorel
[b]I'm planning on nuking and paving my current HTPC and installing MCE 2005. I am brand new to this, so please forgive me if my questions are very newbie oriented. I did try to research some of the answers, but couldn't find most of the them:

1. Since MCE is basically XP with the MCE app, what level of XP is it (SP1, SP2)? What updates will I need to install to bring it up to date?

XP SP2 (included on my MCE2005 disks, 4 months old) use Windows update (critical and custom), and you have to keep going back till there are no updates left, because some dont appear till the previous ones are installed. (IE: MCE HDTV Update, you need .NET for most plugins, then the .NET security update, etc.)

2. I use a MyHD card for all of my OTA recording, both SD and HD (though I do VERY little SD). IS MyHD directly supported in MCE, or are there any plans of it in the future?

No myHD support or even rumored I've had a myHD and using ATI now and very happy with MCE interface and EPG, once everything is setup correctly

3. If it is not, and I suspect it isn't, what PCIe tuner card should I buy for HD recording that is supported by MCE? I specified PCIe because my mobo only has 3 PCI slots, and currently they are occupied by my VGA cooler, Revo 7.1, and MyHD, so the only available slots I have open are the PCIe x1 type.

No PCIe supportted cards, just ATI HD Wonder, Fusion and 1 other (forget)

4. I bought the MS OEM remote and IR unit, but I also use Girder with the USB/UIRT. Can I use a single IR receiver to handle both MCE and Girder functions? If so, which one, the USB/UIRT or the one that came with the MCE remote (or the Evation IRMan that I still have hanging around)?

There is a new 3rd party app on TGB that allows use of the USB-UIRT or MCE receiver and control other AV equipment, or you can use the MCE receiver for MCE and the USB-UIRT for your other gear .Girder support also I believe

http://www.thegreenbutton.com/commun...essageID=93348

5. Where can I find the definitive guide to setting up TheaterTek as the default DVD player?

Setup TT as normal, DL and install the MCE MyMovies plugin and check use TT under mymovies settings. Set MCE to"not always on top under General Settings in MCE and set TT to "Always on Top" and "Both" THat's It! plus entering your movies into mymovies or import for DVDProfiler. MyMovies has setup instructions on website for networks, etc.

http://www.binnerup.dk/mce/

Good Luck

Jeff
post #650 of 1857 Old 03-24-2005, 11:09 AM

Bob, I would also like to re-ask one of your queustions that you posed in the MCE Impressions thread:

Someone asked, "Does MyHD work with this app?"

Bob asked, "Well? Does MCE 2005 support it or do you have to exit MCE to use MyHD? With all this continuing buzz, even I'm getting interested..."

The reason I ask is because I was very much wanting a MyHD card for one of my HTPCs(clearly no BFs), but I am seriously considering going the MCE route. If one were to exit the MCE app and use the XP side of things, could you still use the MyHD card, or would MCE contiune to "Found New Harware" every time you restart it? I too have searched and can't find an answer.
post #651 of 1857 Old 03-24-2005, 11:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Hatfield
Bob, I would also like to re-ask one of your queustions that you posed in the MCE Impressions thread:

Someone asked, "Does MyHD work with this app?"

Bob asked, "Well? Does MCE 2005 support it or do you have to exit MCE to use MyHD? With all this continuing buzz, even I'm getting interested..."

The reason I ask is because I was very much wanting a MyHD card for one of my HTPCs(clearly no BFs), but I am seriously considering going the MCE route. If one were to exit the MCE app and use the XP side of things, could you still use the MyHD card, or would MCE contiune to "Found New Harware" every time you restart it? I too have searched and can't find an answer.

NO MCE MYHD support. and no rumors of it

Exit MCE and use myHD YES, no found new hardware headaches (As far as I know)

Good Luck

Jeff
post #652 of 1857 Old 03-24-2005, 11:54 AM

Great! So if I record some shows using MyHD on my living room HTPC, can I dump them over to my main server and stream them through MCE? The server will have a PVR-500 and Fusion and record a majority of the shows as well as hold all of MyMovies. Can I set up a seperate MyHD "folder" in MCE that can be accessed by the other MCE clients or can I just put all the MyHD shows in MCE's "recorded tv?"
post #653 of 1857 Old 03-24-2005, 12:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Hatfield
Great! So if I record some shows using MyHD on my living room HTPC, can I dump them over to my main server and stream them through MCE? The server will have a PVR-500 and Fusion and record a majority of the shows as well as hold all of MyMovies. Can I set up a seperate MyHD "folder" in MCE that can be accessed by the other MCE clients or can I just put all the MyHD shows in MCE's "recorded tv?"

Well I cant answer your questions "For Sure" !

I dont know if MCE will play the myHD files (the null packet, yes/no thingy)

You can PROBABLY put the shows in "MyVideos" and play them, dont know about in Recorded TV!

As far as your tuners in your server and MCE, and depending on where/how you're planning on scheduling, you might want to do more research on that too! MCE doesnt have network support like sage, but it does have "remote scheduling" (http).

Good Luck, Sorry I couldnt be more help on these issues!

Jeff
post #654 of 1857 Old 03-24-2005, 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Bob Sorel
I'm planning on nuking and paving my current HTPC and installing MCE 2005. I am brand new to this, so please forgive me if my questions are very newbie oriented. I did try to research some of the answers, but couldn't find most of the them:

Bob,
MCE is XP Pro with the MCE app. You will have to buy an OEM version of MCE 2005 to get the MCE app.

SP2 is on disk 1 of the installation set when you buy the OEM version of MCE. You get prompted for SP2 and the discs are only labeled disc1 and disc2. When you get prompted for SP2, remember it is on disc1. You will have been prompted for disc 2 already, so you are swapping out discs. If you just swap out discs each time you get prompted you will be fine.

As far as an official FAQ, would you consider a committee? I would like to contribute having built my system and felt the pain, but would not take it on alone. If a committed group also volunteered I would be game.
post #655 of 1857 Old 03-24-2005, 12:25 PM

does someone know a work around for this

Whenever I hit the OK on my remote while in MCE liveTV
the button acts as a previous channel button
the first time, the channel changes correctly but after this the usb receiver only sends two of three digits to change to the previous channel
and it is always the last two digits forgetting to send the first
I have tried adjusting the speed at which the receiver sends the emitter information from fast to medium and this had no effect

this happens with the original remote as well as with the Harmony
post #656 of 1857 Old 03-24-2005, 12:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I am happy to help, this thread seems to have a life of its own and it needs more structure. Right now I would be happy if anyone found a plugin that allowed me to play .bin (vcd and svcd) files just like I play .avi files with Media Center.
post #657 of 1857 Old 03-24-2005, 12:31 PM

Quote:

I am happy to help, this thread seems to have a life of its own and it needs more structure.

well thank you but you have not said how to fix this

does anyone know how to force MCE to send all three digits when using the previous channel function of the ok button?
post #658 of 1857 Old 03-24-2005, 12:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by kny3twalker
does someone know a work around for this

Whenever I hit the OK on my remote while in MCE liveTV
the button acts as a previous channel button
the first time, the channel changes correctly but after this the usb receiver only sends two of three digits to change to the previous channel
and it is always the last two digits forgetting to send the first
I have tried adjusting the speed at which the receiver sends the emitter information from fast to medium and this had no effect

this happens with the original remote as well as with the Harmony

Just tried this for you with MCE (STB feed) in SDTV and with my ATI HDTV tuner with MCE remote and HArmony.

Whether I do it quick or slow, both work as it should repeatedly.

Maybe a receiver reload? Change IR changing speed to a slower speed under TV signal setup? (mines set to fast)

I didnt know OK, was a previous channel button! THANKS!

Good Luck

JEff
post #659 of 1857 Old 03-24-2005, 12:48 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Thanks for all of the replies, guys!

Ok, so now I know that I can still use MyHD, but there are no plans of direct support now or in the future. That leaves me with 2 choices:

1. Use MyHD outside of MCE just like I have been doing now, or
2. Scrap MyHD completely to free up the PCI slot and go with another HD card.

Since TT is supported in MCE and can play back .TS files (but not record them), for you guys who are in my shoes, is it a better choice to simply use MyHD (for recording only) outside of MCE or is it better to scrap the MyHD card in favor of another card? If I go with another card, what's the best one under MCE and why? Or should I scrap the VGA cooler on my MSI 6600GT PCIe, recoup the PCI slot, and instead add another PCI tuner card, and once again, if so, which one?

Quote:

As far as an official FAQ, would you consider a committee? I would like to contribute having built my system and felt the pain, but would not take it on alone. If a committed group also volunteered I would be game.

Yes, a committee would be fine, but someone has to take responsibility for making final decisions and then submitting the finalized work to me for updating and upkeep of the FAQ, as it will be read only, and I (or one of the other mods) will be the only ones who can go in and actually perform the edits.

If I can find people to take on projects such as this FAQ, my plan is to petition David Bott to create one more subforum, something like "FAQ and How To" where I would like to keep, well, FAQs and "How To"s for many of the important and/or more popular topics in the forum. This would be an area that would be completely read only and maintained by the moderators where we could keep our most valuable HTPC information available for easy reference. As you can tell, just keeping a single FAQ concise and up to date is a huge project, so this idea will only work if enough people are willing to step up to the plate and take responsibility for a single thread each. Then I will be willing to do the actual edits to keep things current, and will also maintain a single sticky thread in the main forum that will serve as an index for all of the threads in the new area. I think this would be an incredible resource for everything HTPC related if it could be done right, but it will take the cooperation of many people, as it is just too enormous for one person to tackle.

Thanks again, everyone!
post #660 of 1857 Old 03-24-2005, 12:56 PM

yeah I cannot get it to work
I also have an issue where I have to hit the button three times before the USB receiver responses, I can see if flashing but nothing happens
this does not happen all the time
but I noticed it when running through the setup to change the speed of sending commands to the emitter
I will mess with it more later

and Bob
it is best not to use the PCI slot beside the video card because of IRQ sharing
Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page